Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mega64 posted:

Is your TV on Game Mode or whatever?

Yeah, I fiddled with every permutation of options and nothing works.

It's a cheap Vizio so imma blame the TV until I can get a second one to test it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon Snap is pretty much entirely about finding the right moment to capture a shot. You can do this with free roaming but it's a fundamentally different game. It may not be a worse game but it's a different one since it takes away the need for precise timing and positioning.

Dead Rising was open world and required precise position and timing of you wanted the highest PP for your shots.
It had both scripted and dynamic/random event photo opportunities.

Not making it a botw style experience feels like a missed opportunity

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

In Pokemon Snap you are not a trainer and should not leave your bubble car because you might get eaten by a bulbasaur so being on rails fits with the story it's pretty perfect really.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I also just remembered that adorable yet forgotten photography game for PS3: Afrika, which also had open world stuff going for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Dead Rising was open world and required precise position and timing of you wanted the highest PP for your shots.
It had both scripted and dynamic/random event photo opportunities.

Yes, but as I said before that was a different game with a different focus. Again, not necessarily a bad one, but a different one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I also just remembered that adorable yet forgotten photography game for PS3: Afrika, which also had open world stuff going for it.
Yeah and Afrika was a way less interesting game is han Pokemon Snap, because Snap is all about driving through a diorama of bespoke pokemon encounters where Afrika is all about stumbling into a Rhino in the middle of nowhere

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQLYWeQjAIw

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

heck, you can even look around the maps yourself in your browser on noclip.website

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Policenaut posted:

I remember thinking that looked really cool but it suddenly dropped off everyone's radar. I didn't even know it had released.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I feel like the people who want free movement in pokemon snap haven't thought about the design implications very much. If a pokemon you're supposed to snap hides behind a rock after a short time, where the hell is the challenge if you can also just go behind the rock? And then what? They have to program a whole second rock for the pokemon to go hide behind afterwards? What the hell are you thinking.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s not the official pro controller. The official one is wireless and very good.
My complaints were mostly about the layout of the controller, which seems... pretty much identical to the official Switch Pro controller? The left analog stick is still placed in a position where it blocks easy access to the - and Share buttons, for example.

Like, aside from maybe a slightly wonky D-Pad (I've only extensively played Bloodstained using the D-Pad and it was pre-patch Switch Bloodstained so... :shrug:) the controller seems mechanically fine, I just didn't like the design much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I was playing RE4, because of course I was...

My wife: "You know, I haven't paid much attention to it, but Resident Evil 4 doesn't seem that scary."

Me: "Really? I've beaten probably 15 times, and I still get freaked out at parts."

Her: "What's so scary about this, though?"

Me: *shows her the part in 5-1 when the regenerators show up*

Her: :stare:

Me: "And, see, unless you attack them the right way, they just don't die."

Her: "No thanks!" :wtc:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Play this on your speakers at night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9UXtm_TbJk

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I was playing RE4, because of course I was...

My wife: "You know, I haven't paid much attention to it, but Resident Evil 4 doesn't seem that scary."

Me: "Really? I've beaten probably 15 times, and I still get freaked out at parts."

Her: "What's so scary about this, though?"

Me: *shows her the part in 5-1 when the regenerators show up*

Her: :stare:

Me: "And, see, unless you attack them the right way, they just don't die."

Her: "No thanks!" :wtc:

God drat I have no ammo for this section.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I really wish switch re4 had joycon point aiming otherwise I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Silver Snail posted:

I feel like the people who want free movement in pokemon snap haven't thought about the design implications very much. If a pokemon you're supposed to snap hides behind a rock after a short time, where the hell is the challenge if you can also just go behind the rock? And then what? They have to program a whole second rock for the pokemon to go hide behind afterwards? What the hell are you thinking.

I think they're longing for a kind of open exploration 3D pokemon game that hasn't yet existed. There might be a way to make a cool game like that, but whatever it would be it wouldn't be Pokemon Snap. That's not the right fit for the type of game it is at all

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Silver Snail posted:

That Afrika game sounds interesting but yeah a game where you wander a generally empty wilderness looking for animals to take photos of. Like Critterwatch, the game, or a birder game. I'm thinking a map like in Firewatch with a sped up clock, or way to speed up time, but not even, so that you have to hide out in the woods for something to appear. its' not for everyone but I would enjoy the calm of that.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Doesn't mean the gameplay is good. I'm exaggerating, it's fine, but the game is too long and the combat sequences not interesting enough to hold up for as long as it did. It is a very pretty game, but I'm not sure if it's an experience I would recommend to people.

I adored the game when it came out but went back to play it when it was rereleased on Steam and....yeah. It's like PS1 JRPGs like Legend of Dragoon where you realize how loving long a single fight takes and just how many hours you're going to spend on it during one playthrough. It's not that the combat is bad, but going in and out of an encounter definitely could have been sped up to make a smoother transition.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

Having a fixed camera means you can always control the scene and exactly what the player is able to see. You can use this to improve development time and increase performance by making scenes likes dioramas with incomplete or missing items where the player would never be able to see. By opening it up to full character/camera movement you're essentially creating an entirely different style of game and have to develop your scenes to be viewed from any angle which makes things much more complex.

Yeah for the n64. We're in the era of a photo mode being in the last 3d Mario game. Look at the trailer, you really think it's gonna be more taxing to going one way over the other? The world is built, it's not a corridor any more.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah for the n64. We're in the era of a photo mode being in the last 3d Mario game. Look at the trailer, you really think it's gonna be more taxing to going one way over the other? The world is built, it's not a corridor any more.

you do not know a lot of about video game development do you

e: sorry for being mean this is just something that really, really irks me.To elaborate, the world is not built. It is, still, a corridor. This goes for every single video game ever created. You create the parts the player are meant to interact with, and by fixing the camera angle you drastically reduce the amount of stuff the player can look at and interact with which means drastically reducing the amount of stuff you need to create. The world is not built.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 18, 2020

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should release Viewtiful Joe for the switch since we’re talking about Capcom classics

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slay the Spire Act 2 really steps that difficulty up doesn't it?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Your Computer posted:

you do not know a lot of about video game development do you

e: sorry for being mean this is just something that really, really irks me.To elaborate, the world is not built. It is, still, a corridor. This goes for every single video game ever created. You create the parts the player are meant to interact with, and by fixing the camera angle you drastically reduce the amount of stuff the player can look at and interact with which means drastically reducing the amount of stuff you need to create. The world is not built.

Also the world is not built in the sense that since Pokemon Snap is on rails, they don't even have to bother mapping collision detection to literally any of the scenery in regards to the player. Free movement would completely change the scope of this game's workload.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

They should release Viewtiful Joe for the switch since we’re talking about Capcom classics

They should. I love Kamiya’s games and it’s one of the only ones I haven’t completed yet, along with Okami, which I grabbed during the sale.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Len posted:

Slay the Spire Act 2 really steps that difficulty up doesn't it?

yeah i always just hit a wall :/ still havent figured it out lmao

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Soooo all the reviews I've read say Summer in Mara is a very mechanically shallow game with some real bad quest design but its also a really chill stress-free time in beautiful tropical environs. Some super loving hated it and others gave it positive scores. I have no idea of the quality of this videogame.

But its relatively cheap and it looks cute so I guess I'll find out myself.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there any fix for the unresponsive dpad on the pro controller? Other than that it's just about the perfect controller for my hands. The dumb thing just doesn't recognize a press about 1/10 times.

I've been obsessed with controllers the past month and I'm not sure why.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Phillby posted:

Soooo all the reviews I've read say Summer in Mara is a very mechanically shallow game with some real bad quest design but its also a really chill stress-free time in beautiful tropical environs. Some super loving hated it and others gave it positive scores. I have no idea of the quality of this videogame.

But its relatively cheap and it looks cute so I guess I'll find out myself.

I backed it but I'm finishing Xenoblade before I really dig into it

I think people are judging it against something like a $60 AAA Nintendo game when it was developed on the cheap by a team of 2 people. I mean good is still good and bad is still bad, but I'm not sure what people are expecting.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I grabbed Dead Cells from one of GameStop’s recent used game sales and holy poo poo this game owns. Also I was lucky enough to get the actual box with the keychain in it. Makes up a bit for getting Puyo Puyo Tetris in a lovely GameStop box.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Zeeman posted:

I grabbed Dead Cells from one of GameStop’s recent used game sales and holy poo poo this game owns. Also I was lucky enough to get the actual box with the keychain in it. Makes up a bit for getting Puyo Puyo Tetris in a lovely GameStop box.

gently caress yeah Dead Cells rules.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dead Cells is one of my favorite games because when you hit the right flow, it feels amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dead Cells and Hollow Knight where pretty much all I played last year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, the weird breathing also helped her realize that yes, RE4 is indeed creepy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there any fix for the unresponsive dpad on the pro controller? Other than that it's just about the perfect controller for my hands. The dumb thing just doesn't recognize a press about 1/10 times.

I've been obsessed with controllers the past month and I'm not sure why.

Some people install tape under it to make it better. Look up tape mod.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
There's this new game on the eshop called "I dream of you and ice cream." It sounds like it could be really interesting or really boring. Has anyone played it yet? There are no reviews of it anywhere.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Happy Hedonist posted:

That's odd. The usual complaint with the pro controller d-pad is that it registers unintended inputs, not that it fails to register intended ones. Did you purchase used or new? If used, open it and check for tape and remove.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Some people install tape under it to make it better. Look up tape mod.
He has the opposite problem.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

They should. I love Kamiya’s games and it’s one of the only ones I haven’t completed yet, along with Okami, which I grabbed during the sale.

I recently dug it out and played through it after getting inspired by W101 and I didn't like it much. It's all about doing the zoom-in/slow-mo combo over and over again. The style and characters are still great though. Let me know how Okami goes I heard poo poo gets tedious.

No weird framerate hiccups or anything with Dead Cells? I wonder if I'd play it more if it was mobile.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's odd. The usual complaint with the pro controller d-pad is that it registers unintended inputs, not that it fails to register intended ones. Did you purchase used or new? If used, open it and check for tape and remove.

Well drat. It's new, I think I bought it in January? I'll take it apart and clean it up and see what happens.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Pro Controller is top-tier, but be aware it can also suffer drift issues. Mine did after six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Social Animal posted:

I recently dug it out and played through it after getting inspired by W101 and I didn't like it much. It's all about doing the zoom-in/slow-mo combo over and over again. The style and characters are still great though. Let me know how Okami goes I heard poo poo gets tedious.

No weird framerate hiccups or anything with Dead Cells? I wonder if I'd play it more if it was mobile.

It sounds like a game that requires multiple playthroughs to really click like a lot of Platinum games. I’ll talk about Okami when I get to it and can focus on it.