Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KillHour posted:

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I say the moles have won. I recommend moving.

Extremely poor username/post combo imho

Edit: great info HycoCam, I will definitely follow this advice to the letter if I have to take my mole hunting game to the next level

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Extremely poor username/post combo imho

Edit: great info HycoCam, I will definitely follow this advice to the letter if I have to take my mole hunting game to the next level

I didn't say who was doing the killing. I'm on the side of the moles here.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Some counties offer a mole bounty! So check in with your county extension office and you can get paid to eradicate moles!

I just use the scissor trap. Its better to be ruthless than spray poo poo all over your yard killing every insect within a block radius.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We set off a bunch of bootleg explosives in the back yard and the moles moved next door. Ask your local redneck!

Any recommendations on ant control? There's about an acre of actual lawn with a heretofore organic garden at the back of it. I don't want to do anything that will kill the few pollinators we have left out here but the yard front and back is getting completely overrun with ants. I noticed mowing over the weekend some of the visible piles are around 2' across. Should I just be blasting triazicide all over the place and apologizing to the garden later or is there a more narrowly targeted option?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mischief posted:

We set off a bunch of bootleg explosives in the back yard and the moles moved next door. Ask your local redneck!

Any recommendations on ant control? There's about an acre of actual lawn with a heretofore organic garden at the back of it. I don't want to do anything that will kill the few pollinators we have left out here but the yard front and back is getting completely overrun with ants. I noticed mowing over the weekend some of the visible piles are around 2' across. Should I just be blasting triazicide all over the place and apologizing to the garden later or is there a more narrowly targeted option?

I use carefully placed granules. If you can see the holes or paths I put literally 5-10 granules in their path and out of the way so it's unlikely to be eaten by birds. You could drop the granules literally down the holes if you can see them, it only takes a little bit to start killing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HycoCam posted:

The methods of eliminating moles start with eliminating the grubs in your yard with a poison like Dylox.

Let's start right here and why this might not be an appropriate control method in your area. Because pest control is local, and requires understanding if you're going to use pesticides responsibly.

If I did this near me it would likely impact the reasonably fragile local red shouldered hawk and eagle populations, which are just coming back to my area in the last 5 to 8 years. Because of that whole food chain thing.

Understand what you are doing first. Talk to your local ag extension.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mischief posted:

I've had decent luck with the Terro outdoor bait traps. They took care of the problem we had last year when they were taking over our flower beds. I'm about to scatter a few across my yard because I've got a couple areas about 100 square feet each with a few dozen ant hills in them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We found ant colonies with eggs under step stones. I dashed them with acetone and put a rolled up, burning newspaper on top.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Per the paysagiste: "Pour moi ce n’est pas des charpentières" so we will see.

Ant update: the paysagiste is convinced they are not carpenter ants but wood ants, and are not eating the chalet. Still recommends spraying everything in persistent insecticide ourselves, and not getting in pest control people as "that gets very expensive". Which given what the terrace is costing, lol.

Materials for the terrace arrive tomorrow and work starts on Thursday. Exciting!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

May be a long shot here, but I have a sort of patio question. What kind of experience do people have with permeable or grow through pavers? We’re on a small, urban lot (~2100sq ft) and have a 6’x20’ strip along the side of our house, surrounded by driveway and neighbor patio, that’s currently occupied by some overgrown bushes.

We’d like to convert it to pavers so we can have an outdoor storage unit and access the back of our lot on that side of the house, but we have a downspout there and I’m concerned about drainage. I think grow through pavers would be a really good option, but can’t find many non-listicle experiences. Maybe permeable pavers or cobblestones would also work? Any suggestions?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Normally the concrete grow through paving looks pretty bad, maybe I haven't seen it done well so will be interested if people have experience with it. It feels like préparation will be key.

Having done some research into stonework recently I think actual cobblestones will be expensive, looks like $100 per square metre/yard just for the stones. And I would guess same again to have them laid. Looks amazing though.

https://www.stonewoodproducts.com/product/cobblestones/

In the current climate also great for lobbing at the cops

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

BadSamaritan posted:

May be a long shot here, but I have a sort of patio question. What kind of experience do people have with permeable or grow through pavers? We’re on a small, urban lot (~2100sq ft) and have a 6’x20’ strip along the side of our house, surrounded by driveway and neighbor patio, that’s currently occupied by some overgrown bushes.

We’d like to convert it to pavers so we can have an outdoor storage unit and access the back of our lot on that side of the house, but we have a downspout there and I’m concerned about drainage. I think grow through pavers would be a really good option, but can’t find many non-listicle experiences. Maybe permeable pavers or cobblestones would also work? Any suggestions?
This probably depends greatly on where you live. In my neck of the woods (near a great lake) it would just be taken over by weeds and be ugly as hell.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BadSamaritan posted:

if drainage is a concern then yeah permeable pavers are probably what you want. for larger site development projects i've worked on, i prefer the kind that resemble latticework, which are set down in and filled with smaller-sized coarse aggregate. they tend to not look so great when grasses are allowed to grow through them, plus you'll end up needing to mow it or hit it with a weedwhacker; the aggregate prevents that and also helps secure them in place (and facilitates drainage better). decomposed granite is a popular choice

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Comedy option, give it a :toot:

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The mole game has...escalated

https://i.imgur.com/PRFdkiP.gifv

I was preparing to put down the repellant for the third day in a row and saw this. By the time I got back with shovels and a bucket, it was gone. Now I've got even more ruined grass and still no mole.

Don't think the repellant is working at all because the mole or moles figured out how to go between my foundation and driveway and made their way to the backyard. I have now declared mole jihad.

This thing was in my garage:

Setting it is either a two person operation or it's so rusty that I can't arm it. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it to work before I gave up and went inside a hardware store for the first time in 3 months to buy these:

While setting them the neighbor came out to tell me they've had to do the same thing over the last few years, and their exterminator told them the mole infestation was likely coming from my yard. Also during all this I learned the little windmill in my backyard that I thought was just a cute yard decoration is supposed to be some kind of humane mole deterant which is obviously doing jack poo poo, lmao.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sirotan posted:

The mole game has...escalated

https://i.imgur.com/PRFdkiP.gifv

I was preparing to put down the repellant for the third day in a row and saw this. By the time I got back with shovels and a bucket, it was gone. Now I've got even more ruined grass and still no mole.

Don't think the repellant is working at all because the mole or moles figured out how to go between my foundation and driveway and made their way to the backyard. I have now declared mole jihad.

This thing was in my garage:

Setting it is either a two person operation or it's so rusty that I can't arm it. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it to work before I gave up and went inside a hardware store for the first time in 3 months to buy these:

While setting them the neighbor came out to tell me they've had to do the same thing over the last few years, and their exterminator told them the mole infestation was likely coming from my yard. Also during all this I learned the little windmill in my backyard that I thought was just a cute yard decoration is supposed to be some kind of humane mole deterant which is obviously doing jack poo poo, lmao.

Shawn Woods of Mousetrap Monday has about 8 videos on mole catching. The victor mole trap looks like what you had in your garage. One is even a live trap:
https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/search?query=mole

Howtolou does a live catch with a dangerously homebrewed detector and a shovel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLT4dkesd_g

There's also always the UNDERGROUND EXTERMINATOR if you want to kill your moles with automotive exhaust:
https://smile.amazon.com/Underground-Exterminator-Kills-Gophers-Groundhogs/dp/B0000BYDPE

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rexxed posted:

Shawn Woods of Mousetrap Monday has about 8 videos on mole catching. The victor mole trap looks like what you had in your garage. One is even a live trap:
https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/search?query=mole

Howtolou does a live catch with a dangerously homebrewed detector and a shovel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLT4dkesd_g

There's also always the UNDERGROUND EXTERMINATOR if you want to kill your moles with automotive exhaust:
https://smile.amazon.com/Underground-Exterminator-Kills-Gophers-Groundhogs/dp/B0000BYDPE

That video is I guess how I saw things going when I could see the ground moving in my yard.

No mole sign this morning.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

A city isnt ever going to say you can start construction prior to getting a permit, but they implicitly will allow it if you don't get caught or aren't an arsehole.

Just do everything up to the first inspection and youre fine.

Just to follow up to this I did get approval and picked up my permits today. Which is good since I have a delivery window of this afternoon for all the lumber for my framing :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do you think the inspector will let me use the bidet seat as a heat source for my existing bathroom :thunk:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sirotan posted:

That video is I guess how I saw things going when I could see the ground moving in my yard.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WebbedLivelyCygnet-mobile.mp4

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Day 76. The moles move at night. They wait. They watch, and they wait, and they move when I sleep. Even a minute is too long. I'll get them. They don't know it yet. I won't sleep. I don't sleep. The moles move at night.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hed posted:

Just to follow up to this I did get approval and picked up my permits today. Which is good since I have a delivery window of this afternoon for all the lumber for my framing :)

I dunno what my town requirements are but I'm going to frame out where my sump pump is in my basement at some point and I'm not going to permit it but really no electric is happening just some framing and panel / drywall and a doorway so it's a bit out of the way

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Hed posted:

Do you think the inspector will let me use the bidet seat as a heat source for my existing bathroom :thunk:

Either that or put a box of matches next to the toilet and claim it's heated with natural gas.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there a half decent solar powered light out there I could put in my shed for light inside it? I guess same question for an exterior light source? I don't have any power run to it and I will need to replace my entire breaker box at some point to add more circuits so I'll wait until I buy an EV to worry about that.

In the short term I'd like to be able to see inside the shed at night and maybe have a motion sensitive light near the shed or something if I'm in the yard at night.

Edit to say I bought some lovely small motion activated solar led spot lights off Amazon a few years ago and they were awful, quit working, and the solar cells must've had a cheap uv-sensitive resin or epoxy that quickly yellowed and cracked and killed any charging efficiency.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sirotan posted:

Aweemaweh, aweemaweh, aweemaweh, aweemaweh
In the backyard, the quiet backyard,
The moles, they move at night
Ohhhohhhohhh
In the backyard, the quiet back yard,
The moles, they move at night.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MetaJew posted:

Is there a half decent solar powered light out there I could put in my shed for light inside it? I guess same question for an exterior light source? I don't have any power run to it and I will need to replace my entire breaker box at some point to add more circuits so I'll wait until I buy an EV to worry about that.

In the short term I'd like to be able to see inside the shed at night and maybe have a motion sensitive light near the shed or something if I'm in the yard at night.

Edit to say I bought some lovely small motion activated solar led spot lights off Amazon a few years ago and they were awful, quit working, and the solar cells must've had a cheap uv-sensitive resin or epoxy that quickly yellowed and cracked and killed any charging efficiency.

Any solar shed light is going to be crap to actually do work by.
Get a head-mounted lamp and one or more battery powered lights. Your drill battery brand may have one for not too unreasonable a price.
You can also make your own out of MR16 12V retrofit LEDs, or SMD LED strips, and buck converters.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

~Coxy posted:

Any solar shed light is going to be crap to actually do work by.
Get a head-mounted lamp and one or more battery powered lights. Your drill battery brand may have one for not too unreasonable a price.
You can also make your own out of MR16 12V retrofit LEDs, or SMD LED strips, and buck converters.

I wasn't planning to work by it, just, say I need to go get my ladder out of the shed after dark, or something.

I guess I could do some battery + led strips like you mentioned. Any particular references you have in mind?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I think if you're going to do it, something like this would be the way to go: https://www.harborfreight.com/100-Watt-Solar-Panel-Kit-63585.html

That kit has non-motion 12v LED lights included, but if you wanted to do traditional motion lights or charge tools, you'd need to get an 120v inverter. You'd be looking at close to $350 once you add in a 35Ah battery ($70) and a cheap 1000W inverter ($80).

If you can easily run a 120v circuit to it, that would be the better option. My shed is about 100ft from my house, and trenching to run a cable out there doesn't seem like an easy or cheap task.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I put these LED lights in my closet that had little to no light from hallway and they worked okay.. they might be enough for your use. They stay charged for quite some time.. like once every 2-3 months I'd just cycle em all on a USB charger and never really had an issue..

https://amzn.to/3hytmm2

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Day 76. The moles move at night. They wait. They watch, and they wait, and they move when I sleep. Even a minute is too long. I'll get them. They don't know it yet. I won't sleep. I don't sleep. The moles move at night.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mole-stly

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

I think if you're going to do it, something like this would be the way to go: https://www.harborfreight.com/100-Watt-Solar-Panel-Kit-63585.html

That kit has non-motion 12v LED lights included, but if you wanted to do traditional motion lights or charge tools, you'd need to get an 120v inverter. You'd be looking at close to $350 once you add in a 35Ah battery ($70) and a cheap 1000W inverter ($80).

If you can easily run a 120v circuit to it, that would be the better option. My shed is about 100ft from my house, and trenching to run a cable out there doesn't seem like an easy or cheap task.

This is kind of a neat idea, but that panel looks big enough that I might begin thinking about mounting it to the roof of the shed... And that is probably overkill. I eventually want to run a circuit to the shed or if I could figure out the logistics also build a second larger shed to use as a woodworking shop of sorts and run power to both.

The issue as it stands right now is that it is probably 50+ ft from my main breaker panel and I don't have any available space in the breaker. I want to get an EV truck in the near future whenever the Cybertruck or Rivian come out and that will necessitate having my breakers updated by an electrician. At that time I might consider running a circuit to the shed, but that is a ways off and I live in an area of Austin with very rocky soil and limestone not far below the surface so digging is terribly unfun.

tater_salad posted:

I put these LED lights in my closet that had little to no light from hallway and they worked okay.. they might be enough for your use. They stay charged for quite some time.. like once every 2-3 months I'd just cycle em all on a USB charger and never really had an issue..

https://amzn.to/3hytmm2

Maybe I should just do something like this for the time being, but not having to charge stuff manually is ideal.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You could also get one of those camper/motor home solar panels and seemingly wire up a little system that way. Something for a couple hundred bucks that will run some lights and charge some batteries or whatever.

I'm no expert, but I see solar systems around that are better than whatever junk is on lowest price Amazon lights but also aren't huge fuckoff house panels either..

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I can't remember what thread I posted this in (but didn't get an answer) so I'm posting here:

Plumbing Question

Kitchen sink: got the disposal removed a year ago and the piping under the sink all cleaned out and replaced. It was... incredible.

Lately, when washing dishes, it stinks like sewer gas. Real egg-fart-sulfur. Now... it's ONLY the Kitchen sink. It's not the water. And it's ONLY when the water runs. We use it all the time so it's not a dried P trap. Plus I feel if it was that, it'd stink whenever. But it's only when the water is running.

Thoughts?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe there's a blockage in the vent stack?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Toilet ghosts. Malignant. I'm so sorry.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MetaJew posted:

I wasn't planning to work by it, just, say I need to go get my ladder out of the shed after dark, or something.

Oh, then I actually think a cheap solar shed light is going to be fine.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
hell yeah, the carpenter bee trap is working.

get the gently caress out of my fence post, bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Haven't gotten any answers on my last fence-questions, but more fence questions:

The fence I share with my neighbor-- we have agreed that we'll DIY the replacement and split material costs.

At least three of the metal posts we share are leaning over. They were set with cement, but I'm not sure if the person who installed them didn't dig deep enough or what went wrong.

First question:
Can posts like this be dug up and straightened/reset? Is this a dumb idea?

Second question:
His posts are only ~5' tall from the ground. My other posts behind my house are ~6' tall from the ground. I would prefer to have all of the fencing identical to not have to bother with ordering different materials and components for each span of fence. How much pain am I looking at if I were to dig up about 10 posts and replace them with taller/longer posts so that all of my fences are the same-ish height? Is it worth it? I don't think galvanized steel posts are all too expensive, but redoing this seems like it could be quite a bit of work.

My thought for this fence is this neighbor is retired, but he's basically willing to go with whatever I was planning on doign for the fence. I suspect he's going to sell the house and move to his retirement property in the not too distant future. So taking care of this all now before I have to deal with a different neighbor who might be more demanding seems like a good idea.