Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember there were a few bits of animation that I think Silverman(?) had to key-animate himself because it wasn't very easy to convey to the Korean studio how to capture some very particularly American styles of body language. Like the Mr. Burns goon when Smithers is telling him "Wait ..." "What?" "Beat, but.. don't kick. Wait—" and the guy turns around again with this sort of laughing shrug, like "What?!" — which was really important to get right.

Another was Krusty having his heart attack on stage :krust:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
how do you pronounce csupo anyway

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

choo-poh

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
kwijybo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Memento posted:

What are the best and worst Sideshow Bob episodes? Brother From Another Series would have to be up there.

My favorite & least favorite are Black Widower (although Cape Feare is a very close second) and the "vendetta! vendetta!" one, respectively.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

For a second I was going to say the worst one is where Bob flies the plane into Krusty's shack radio station then I remembered they made over 20 more seasons I didn't watch so that can't be true.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

there was one with sideshow bob in like 2006 that a friend of mine and i tried to watch for "nostalgia's sake" (lmao) and it was real bad

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YeahTubaMike posted:

My favorite & least favorite are Black Widower (although Cape Feare is a very close second) and the "vendetta! vendetta!" one, respectively.

I think The Italian Bob was the last Sideshow Bob episode I saw, and it was fourteen and a half years ago.

Thinking about it, it's definitely Cape Feare. The rakes, the tattoos, "No one who speaks German could be an evil man!", "Hello, Mr. Thompson", the entire score of HMS Pinafore, "Bake him away, Toys", there's some true brilliance in that one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cape Feare is the best one.

The one where he gets genetic engineering and all kinds of body horror things is the worst one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApHv0QdeNc

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve said it already in this thread, but the Sideshow Bob episode where he genetically modifies his DNA to have fish gills and grasshopper legs and other stupid poo poo was the moment I said to myself, “gently caress this poo poo.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Moon Monster posted:

As someone whose mom has taken them to multiple bird sanctuaries as a kid I always enjoyed that scene.

I'da loving loved bird sanctuaries as a kid, but I mighta been weird. But I mean, you get to run around outside and look at new birds, that's pretty neat.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

For a second I was going to say the worst one is where Bob flies the plane into Krusty's shack radio station then I remembered they made over 20 more seasons I didn't watch so that can't be true.

That's a weird one, and feels like a proto-zombie Simpsons, but does have some fun points. Mostly Krusty doing hilariously terrible improv in the emergency broadcast shack.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a weird one, and feels like a proto-zombie Simpsons, but does have some fun points. Mostly Krusty doing hilariously terrible improv in the emergency broadcast shack.

I can’t not see a picture of Dwight Eisenhower without hearing “LET’S. GET. BIZAAAAY.” in my head.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just watching Cape Feare now. I forgot about "Sincerely, Little Girl", the montage of people telling Bart they're (not) going to kill him, Homer's new chainsaw and hockey mask. To this day I say "I'm cold, and there are wolves after me".

How do you fit so much great stuff into one episode?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
One of my favorite things about cape feare is that in terror lake's parade saluting Hannibal crossing the alps, which is insane to begin with, an entire elephant is used for the word "the"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I seem to remember from newsgroups/snpp that cape feare was considered a jump the shark moment, the rake joke in particular, but can you imagine of that's as bad as it got?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the rake joke is one of the show's funniest moments though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cape Feare is one of the more daring episodes, considering it's one of those that explicitly takes the Simpsons out of Springfield and away from the supporting cast, revolving mostly around Bart and Bob. A bit like the first Herb episode.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Cape Feare also gave us two of the best dankmus songs/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8tLx3vIWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfQKJ69bBiQ

Though I think this one is the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDwA6EZamg

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it's not an example of cutting corners in animation, but there are lots of times the lip sync doesn't match, and it's usually cause the writers decided to change the jokes at the last minute. this one was one of the most memorable ones for me, but now i finally know what the original line was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOxAQMo9qv8&t=325s

in the aired version, bart says "and that's how much it'll cost to send maggie to college". i think both this and the original line were roughly equally funny. they didn't need to redo it, imo.

anyway, to the poster who asked what a good introductory episode would be? honestly, picking virtually any episode from seasons 3-8 would work. nearly every episode is high quality, will give the viewer a good idea of what the simpsons is about, and with the exception of MAYBE the sideshow bob episodes, they're all self-contained (i would still suggest those regardless, particularly Cape Feare, as has already been mentioned). actually, maybe 21 Short Stories of Springfield would be a great option cause you get to see almost the entire cast of characters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stingwing posted:

Part of the version they originally received made it onto the DVD, and is pretty great in its terribleness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-wjF5AMmk&t=36s

There was also a commentary of this on the DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K8pMvKBgXw

So the traffic copter guy was the show's first non-Simpson recurring character? Wild.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Scaramouche posted:

I seem to remember from newsgroups/snpp that cape feare was considered a jump the shark moment, the rake joke in particular, but can you imagine of that's as bad as it got?

Trying to imagine posting in alt.binary.something.awful.simpsons.worst and saying “time to wrap it up people” after this most brilliant episode

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

So the traffic copter guy was the show's first non-Simpson recurring character? Wild.

Huh it was orginally Bill Pye with Pye in the Sky.
Arnie Pye's traffic report being called "Arnie in the Sky" is such a great little joke and so typical of the classic era.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Data Graham posted:

Surely Homer in Hell, complete with Night On Bald Mountain Flanders

the treehouse eps always get a lot of care, for sure. i went with city of NY because it was a season 8 episode that was held back for season 9 premiere, so they worked all summer on making it awesome. the ending sequence (homer getting smashed in the face with the trash & the pullout to the bridge) is awesome. the animation is just good throughout, no cut corners and stuff like that.

season 9 is 100% still golden age to me, there are a lot of classic - often referenced episodes in there. To me that's kind of the blurry line, what seasons do I expect my Simpsons friends on the TL to know intrinsically & that absolutely includes "City of NY" "Cartridge Family" "HΩmega Man [treehouse]" "Trouble With Trillions" "Trash of the Titans" etc. Even if some of these episodes aren't as good or have "jerkass" moments everyone still knows this image: and its from one of the last S9 eps.

In quarantine i've been rewatching old futurama and I agree that at its peak it was often better than the average simpsons episode. My combined ranking would have a lot of old Futurama episodes up there with "You Only Move Twice" and "Marge vs. The Monorail" quality eps. Season 10 is the brain drain to Futurama and the brain drain of Al Jean coming back.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This is the plot of an episode right after the Simpsons find out they’re part black episode.

Bart's fourth grade class is merged with another fourth grade class when teacher Mrs. Krabappel is absent. In the crowded classroom, Bart is forced to sit by a new student named Nikki. At first they dislike each other, until Nikki admires Bart's artistic skills. Bart seeks romance advice from Homer, who passes him off to Grandpa Abe. After Grandpa advises Bart to kiss Nikki, however, when Bart does so after the two skateboard together, she recoils in disgust. Nikki's attorney parents threaten to sue the school unless it is declared an "affection-free environment". Superintendent Chalmers causes a play in which Willie plays Nikki and Skinner plays Bart, meaning they are forced to kiss. Bart is confused at the outcome of this seemingly innocent action, and his confusion is later amplified when Nikki hides in his locker and kisses him again.

Meanwhile, Lisa becomes popular when she receives an F on a test, but becomes unpopular again when it is revealed that her test was mistakenly given to Ralph, as both tests were mixed up as the F grade was supposed to be given to Ralph who had written Lisa's name on his test. Angry about being ostracized for being an overachiever once again, Lisa blogs about it, and her post is noted by a mysterious blogger known as Flotus 1 who turns out to be First Lady Michelle Obama. Obama drops by Springfield Elementary to give a speech about the importance of academics and recommends that the students should be nice to Lisa and other overachievers like her friends, Martin Prince and Allison Taylor.

Bart and Nikki have been watching this speech from the roof, and Bart confesses to Nikki he does not understand her ever-changing moods. They argue and Bart stumbles, falling off the roof. Nikki says "I love you," but seeing that Bart is breathing treats him badly again. Bart stops breathing again, but the school's "no touch" policy prevents anyone from performing CPR. Nikki defies the policy and revives Bart via mouth-to-mouth, thus setting off a montage of kiss scenes from various movies, some of which (such as Alien 3) never even had kiss scenes in them. When Bart awakes, Nikki's mood changes yet again and Bart remains in a state of complete confusion over female behavior. He tells her he does not care what happens between her and him, but then changes his mind and yells out "I love you!" after she kisses him once again.

Throughout the episode, Nelson Muntz has befriended a blind boy and teaches him how to laugh at the misfortunes of others. At the end, the blind boy tricks Nelson into believing that a punch he sustained after insulting Nelson restored his sight. When he reveals to Nelson that this was a prank and laughs Nelson's signature "haw haw", Nelson is as impressed as he is touched by the achievement.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah that one sucked

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't Family Guy literally do the black ancestor joke? I remember there's a bit where Peter has a conversation with his black ancestor in the mirror.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They did, and it was also a terrible cringe episode. At first I thought I didn't like that type of episode due to cultural differences (Americans will talk about 'race' any chance they get, non-stop, no matter the context, and that's completely understandable given their history even if it makes me vaguely uncomfortable), but no, I think those just happen to be universally terrible for some reason.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Trying to imagine posting in alt.binary.something.awful.simpsons.worst and saying “time to wrap it up people” after this most brilliant episode

The internet was always worthless

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Peter saying "Oh sorry, his bee-yotch" is weirdly funny to me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The terrible hangnail rap is something I'll get stuck in my head before drifting off to sleep and it usually makes me laugh

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what was wrong with that FG episode? it had a ton of great moments while also having a good message at the end. the scene with the officer: "hey you're that black guy that was on the news", "officer down", etc. the part at the end where peter throws his money in the crowd to offer reparations and everyone starts fighting for it and he goes "uh...i just meant the black guys". and also my personal favorite in that episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqjGZsQJ6iY

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

the joke is obviously that it's a dumb thing to say

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ulex minor posted:

the joke is obviously that it's a dumb thing to say

It seems to me to be the difference between John Wayne in yellowface portraying Genghis Khan (racism) and Robert McElhenney putting on blackface in Always Sunny (making fun of racists).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, I know it's absolutely an American thing to have white people desperately try to appropriate any other identity for themselves in the most cringe possible manner, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant to watch.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

That FG episode had a good dig on Dennis Miller, and I also loved the joke when Brian was reading Peter's ancestor's journal out loud.

Brian: "... so I took her face and put it to my butt and blew a huge fart right back at her."
Peter: "ehehehheh"
Brian: "Oh, that laugh's in here, too see.... ehehehheheh."

It did have a really uncomfortable pedophilia/rape bit at the end with Quagmire, though.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 18, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plan Z posted:

That FG episode had a good dig on Dennis Miller

what was it again?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

FG episode [...] really uncomfortable pedophilia/rape bit

No surprise there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plan Z posted:

That FG episode had a good dig on Dennis Miller, and I also loved the joke when Brian was reading Peter's ancestor's journal out loud.

Brian: "... so I took her face and put it to my butt and blew a huge fart right back at her."
Peter: "ehehehheh"
Brian: "Oh, that laugh's in here, too see.... ehehehheheh."

It did have a really uncomfortable pedophilia/rape bit at the end with Quagmire, though.

That's basically like half of what Quagmire does it seems. Problem with Family Guy is they don't know when to hold back. It's got basically a Newgrounds sense of humour at this point.

Though in this case it kinda feels like it's an interesting and positive thing to have Peter's black ancestor be shown as basically him, especially when the rest of the episode's jokes revolve around the massive culture gap and difficulty of communication between him and black Americans- that an ancestor in a very different time, place and culture can still have a lot in common with you because of the little things. Seems like a good pushback against the ideas somehow popping up even with supposed progressives that non-white perspectives are impossible to understand.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's what often makes me uncomfortable when it comes to American media, that laser focus on 'race'. It almost seems indecent somehow. It's like how white American goons on this site are constantly making supposedly self-deprecating jokes about them all smelling like dog and loving mayonnaise XD, and cringe remarks like that seem to come up all the time regardless of context. Whether punching up or down or sideways, it often just seems to loop right back around to essentialism.

Thing is, and I would say it's mostly thanks to those same goons that I've realized this, there are historical reasons for it. Racial background really does make a difference in the US (and elsewhere), and it really is important to examine, and ignoring it by proclaiming yourself to be colorblind isn't necessarily the solution. If pointing out reality makes you uncomfortable, that's the point. I personally think that reinforcing those arbitrary historical racial classifications is a mixed bag, even when you do it by chanting 'kill whitey' with varying degrees of irony, but I understand the reasoning. It makes sense.

Just last week I was having dinner with my European boomer parents and they were going on about how racist Americans are. I explained that that was dumb, it's just much more polarized over there, and being obsessed with race is not the same as being racist in the way that we would normally interpret that word. These same parents ironically also like to make 'un-PC' boomer remarks that would likely get them probated on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the united states of america is a racist country. its creation, codification, and continued existence is inherently structured through the lens of racism.