Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Stealth sections in games are in my experience pretty great because they all just expect you to walk forward slowly but sensibly and if you don't do anything outright silly you get through first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

silence_kit posted:

Majesty is a game kind of like this. You'd hire heroes, and they'd do as they drat well pleased. Like if you built one kind of base which allows you to train certain types of heroes, gambling halls would be spontaneously generated near your base on the map, and other less virtuous heroes would spend all their time in the gambling halls. The way you'd motivate the heroes to fight the enemy was by offering bounties on enemies and rewards for exploring new areas of the map.

It was a pretty fun game. I don't think it was super focused on building up a lot of units and sending huge waves of them at the enemy though.

I also don't think it had a multiplayer mode, which is pretty important for RTS games.

It had multiplayer, I remember this specifically as the thief/bandit unit had the quirk that he'd take up *any* players bounty if it was large enough, potentially backstabbing you.

Majesty was such a loving good take on the RTS system, it's really a shame it's not as well known or been redone.

edit:

food court bailiff posted:

RTS games could be saved by removing micro altogether (because that's tactics and not strategy in the first place) and having units be driven by rudimentary AI after being given orders

Dark Reign had very strong automation features in a more traditional C&C/Starcraft framework. Every unit had a few AI toggle states, such as "Damage Tolerance: low/med/high" (low forces units to retreat back to a repair bay w/o orders at half health, med is default where the try to jiggle out of splash, high does nothing) and fully automated roles such as Explore the Map or Harrass the Enemy (shoot a building then run away when shot at).

Strangely, despite these tools being there to reduce player multitasking, nobody seemed to love the feature enough to put it in their own RTS. It's like a subtle condemnation of the feature not matching whatever vision the next RTS's dev had.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 17, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Rutibex posted:

be a rebel, play Warhammer with legos. gamesworkshop has enough money

Mobile Frame Zero exists and is fantastic. My friends and I play with kitbashed SD and HG Gundams.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

d3lness posted:

kitbashed SD and HG Gundams.

I understand about 20% of this sentence and i can't lie, I'm intrigued

Edit: replaying the last of us and oh god why are all underwater sections in games horrid to control

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 17, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I understand about 20% of this sentence and i can't lie, I'm intrigued

Kitbashing just means mixing up parts from various models. SDs are the little dude with the huge heads and HGs are the normal sized ones in a decent price range.

I will plug these guys to the day I die. The system is designed around Legos, but you can use anything with detachable parts for it.

Mobile Frame Zero

E: There is even a capital ship combat version of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dork magic ww

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 17, 2020

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

i've never seen black text white outline in an RPG game before and i think i know why now.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Serephina posted:

It had multiplayer, I remember this specifically as the thief/bandit unit had the quirk that he'd take up *any* players bounty if it was large enough, potentially backstabbing you.

Majesty was such a loving good take on the RTS system, it's really a shame it's not as well known or been redone.

Oh wow, how was the multiplayer?

Yeah Majesty was a lot of fun. I should try playing that game again. I'm not really up to date on video games. That's really too bad that no one else has tried to do that style of game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

silence_kit posted:

Oh wow, how was the multiplayer?

Yeah Majesty was a lot of fun. I should try playing that game again. I'm not really up to date on video games. That's really too bad that no one else has tried to do that style of game.

Majesty was great, the reason there's no follow up is because Majesty 2 was a terrible sequel that ruined the concept.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Stealth sections in games are in my experience pretty great because they all just expect you to walk forward slowly but sensibly and if you don't do anything outright silly you get through first time

I remember the one in Syphon Filter was kind of annoying.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

pentyne posted:

Majesty was great, the reason there's no follow up is because Majesty 2 was a terrible sequel that ruined the concept.

I've only played Majesty 2 so I think I know what I'm doing tonight

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I hate stealth because exercising patience is the opposite of what I want out of a video game experience.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I like stealth but a stealth game needs to have excellent sound design and it needs to have a good atmosphere. The first two Thief games are great for this, the sound is very important and the overall atmosphere has this sort of slightly creepy surreality to it that keeps it entertaining even when you're watching a guard's pattern for three minutes.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Sudden stealth sections in non stealth games suck because you generally have to use trial and error to find out if the guards have tunnel vision or if they have eyes on the sides of their head. Stealth sections where the guards have flashlights or some kind of indicator of their field of vision don't have this problem though, those are generally fine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Stealth games are fine but stealth segments in action games need to go away forever.

I mean, does anyone actually enjoy the mission in every single GTA game where you have to trail a guy? Not too close but not too far? It's been in every single one since 3, including all the little expansions and spinoffs. Chinatown Wars didn't even escape it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Stealth games are fine but stealth segments in action games need to go away forever.

I mean, does anyone actually enjoy the mission in every single GTA game where you have to trail a guy? Not too close but not too far? It's been in every single one since 3, including all the little expansions and spinoffs. Chinatown Wars didn't even escape it.

GTA games at core aren't good games

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I feel like the GTA games are the jack of all trades, but master of none of video games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My unpopular opinion: people need to chill the gently caress out about time limits. People are complaining about one in Shipbreaker but the gameplay would be absolute tedium without something making you need to be both skillful and good at prioritizing valuables. Just the mention of a time limit makes people freak though. See also: Dead Rising/DR2/DR Off the Record.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
dead rising 2 was good until i needed to find $1mn, which was just dumb instead

e:

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i've never seen black text white outline in an RPG game before and i think i know why now.

is white font with black borders really that much better? i dunno, i've seen some, the black-on-map beige is basically ripped off from wild arms 3

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 18, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RTS games could be saved by removing micro altogether (because that's tactics and not strategy in the first place) and having units be driven by rudimentary AI after being given orders

Stellaris does this and people whine endlessly about being unable to micromanage units

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What they should be complaining about is that Stellaris is a bad video game!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

What they should be complaining about is that Stellaris is a bad video game!

I like the early game and heard the endgame is cool but the mid game is such a slog I’ve never actually gotten to it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

Stellaris does this and people whine endlessly about being unable to micromanage units

it would just be nice if the game were more clear about how ships choose to engage. like should i just group the same class of ship in their own armies or will they stay at the appropriate distance as determined by their AI chip even if they're in an army with corvettes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

dead rising 2 was good until i needed to find $1mn, which was just dumb instead

e:

is white font with black borders really that much better? i dunno, i've seen some, the black-on-map beige is basically ripped off from wild arms 3

yo i swear i typed up some kinda response about this already but maybe it got eaten idk

have you tried doing a dark purple border with bright white text? LttP does it in pixel art, i think it'd work similarly for your game. but also i'd say to tweak the widths of the text and the border (and kerning, maybe, if possible?) to give each character more of a distinct profile in the text, as it is they're kinda blobby. i've definitely seen worse in games but it could be more readable by a fair bit.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Rutibex posted:

we did this with a risk set, gave the infantry, cavalry, and cannons stats + used beanie babies as monsters :3: thanks i forgot about that until now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

have you tried doing a dark purple border with bright white text? LttP does it in pixel art, i think it'd work similarly for your game. but also i'd say to tweak the widths of the text and the border (and kerning, maybe, if possible?) to give each character more of a distinct profile in the text, as it is they're kinda blobby. i've definitely seen worse in games but it could be more readable by a fair bit.

i can't really make the text much bigger, but i can try the color thing

i think it does look better at a brighter white with purple borders but i dunno i can't really judge. it also perplexes me as to why i had that as a charcoal-colored font when all the other text in the entire game is white font black border but this is why it's good to get an outside perspective on it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i think it does look better at a brighter white with purple borders but i dunno i can't really judge. it also perplexes me as to why i had that as a charcoal-colored font when all the other text in the entire game is white font black border but this is why it's good to get an outside perspective on it

I find that very readable for what it's worth.

edit: and my vision kind of sucks

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I know this is the "unpopular game opinions" thread but I feel like that is a goddamn ridiculous thing to say. What makes the GTA games bad, especially considering each one's time of release? Controls are tight and responsive, characters are interesting and fun, missions are varied, small details everywhere with a huge and detailed world (hundreds of different cars, each pedestrian looks different, tons of idle ambient dialogue, play in the land sea or air, lots of different guns with different feels, various landcsapes throughout the gigantic maps, I could go on). Like, even if it's not your thing I just don't get how you can say the GTA games are bad.

This is coming from a guy who likes stupid old nerd games like Darklands and Wizardry.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'd say GTA games are probably some of the best games ever. The campaigns have some problems but are overall much better and way beefier value than most games. I'm not sure I'd agree about the on foot controls being tight but the driving is extremely good and fun. This is the only place I've ever seen where everybody shits on GTA V.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There's nothing wrong with Wizardry friend

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'd say GTA games are probably some of the best games ever. The campaigns have some problems but are overall much better and way beefier value than most games. I'm not sure I'd agree about the on foot controls being tight but the driving is extremely good and fun. This is the only place I've ever seen where everybody shits on GTA V.

Lots of people poo poo on GTA V because they're sick of the garbage around GTA V online. Also the game is getting Skyrim'd at this point.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

i ain’t no brain doctor or nothin but this really does scan easier at arm’s length for me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I know this is the "unpopular game opinions" thread but I feel like that is a goddamn ridiculous thing to say. What makes the GTA games bad, especially considering each one's time of release? Controls are tight and responsive, characters are interesting and fun, missions are varied, small details everywhere with a huge and detailed world (hundreds of different cars, each pedestrian looks different, tons of idle ambient dialogue, play in the land sea or air, lots of different guns with different feels, various landcsapes throughout the gigantic maps, I could go on). Like, even if it's not your thing I just don't get how you can say the GTA games are bad.

This is coming from a guy who likes stupid old nerd games like Darklands and Wizardry.

The actual missions in GTA are generally terrible, and even the worst Saint's Row game is better than the best GTA game, which usurped what GTA was originally going for tonally while the GTA writers consistently try to punch above their weight.

GTA 4 is just loving rancid as far as driving mechanics and gameplay that's completely at odds with the immigrant crime story they wanted to tell. The whole dating thing is what the gently caress ever, I could be doing taxes or at the dentist right now instead of this poo poo.

Their online components are basically Hacker's Delight.

They build really expansive, detailed worlds that push the boundaries of what you can do in a game, it's a shame about the actual game.

As a person who plays a lot of RDR2 online, basically the only thing keeping me on it is that I play it with a group. Other than that it's absolutely not worth the trouble and lately the online barely works, with massive connectivity issues and countless bugs. And the controls are, if we're being honest, dog poo poo.

Having a world-class art design is not that important next to nailing fundamentals, which Rockstar consistently fails at.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The whole dating thing is what the gently caress ever, I could be doing taxes or at the dentist right now instead of this poo poo.
It's real good if you play GTA as more of a dialogue collector, it's Banjo&Kazooie with mocapped scenes instead of puzzle pieces

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they use mocap in GTA? last one i spent more than an hour or two with was gta4 and it their animation was still so hammyand janky i'm guessing the used muppets for the mocap?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

San Andreas is the perfect game. Don't @ me.

It's not perfect, but I still love that game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ocean Book posted:

we did this with a risk set, gave the infantry, cavalry, and cannons stats + used beanie babies as monsters :3: thanks i forgot about that until now

We played house rules where some of the more popular spots had a city state with a standing army (5) so that you'd need to build up an army and try to take the region with a sizable army before you can claim the chokepoint. It actually made things interesting since you'd be at a severe disadvantage early on trying to take over the city states, but you'd own a critical territory. You could also rely on the city state as protection of sorts.

It would be better in the LOTR version because we could pretend it was a dragon or ogre or something.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I believe Grand Theft Auto is fun because even poorly made video games can actually be very fun.

Rutibex posted:

When I was a kid, long before I even know what tabletop RPGs/Wargames were, I'd make up my own to play with my little brother. We'd bust out army men for units, upside down tupperware for terrain, and whatever six sided die we could scavenge from the board game collection. Really simple stuff, 6 inch moves for infantry and 12-24 shooting range depending on weapon, defeating enemies on a roll of 5 or 6.

We did it with Lego too, except the ranges would be worked out in studs instead of inches. Good times.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The actual missions in GTA are generally terrible, and even the worst Saint's Row game is better than the best GTA game, which usurped what GTA was originally going for tonally while the GTA writers consistently try to punch above their weight.

GTA 4 is just loving rancid as far as driving mechanics and gameplay that's completely at odds with the immigrant crime story they wanted to tell. The whole dating thing is what the gently caress ever, I could be doing taxes or at the dentist right now instead of this poo poo.

Their online components are basically Hacker's Delight.

They build really expansive, detailed worlds that push the boundaries of what you can do in a game, it's a shame about the actual game.

As a person who plays a lot of RDR2 online, basically the only thing keeping me on it is that I play it with a group. Other than that it's absolutely not worth the trouble and lately the online barely works, with massive connectivity issues and countless bugs. And the controls are, if we're being honest, dog poo poo.

Having a world-class art design is not that important next to nailing fundamentals, which Rockstar consistently fails at.

Alright, I will grant you that GTA4 had a lot of squandered potential. And I have noticed that Rockstar likes to do this thing where they take a person with a hosed up past, like Nico Bellic or Arthur Morgan or Michael Townley and try to give them this redemption story that is incorrigible with the gameplay of shooting a lot of more or less innocent people in the face. GTA4 is a weak link in the series, but I still don't think it's bad. They could have done a lot more with Nico, but I still like the dynamic between him and Packie and Kate. The actual dates and phone calls from your loser cousin aren't great, but you can just ignore them. Just like real life!

And maybe our opinions differ because I don't play online. I deal with the public all day at my job. When I come home at 6 and make dinner and do the chores and spend time with my girl, I am not about to deal with people anymore. But as far as GTA5 goes, I can't find much wrong. Michael and Trevor are both pieces of poo poo in different ways, and I think they made their paths come back together in a pretty elegant way. poo poo, Trevor is a sexually deviant, violent, drug abusing evil gently caress and I like him anyway. That's not easy to do, especially with a guy named Trevor. Franklin is alright, just got caught up in some poo poo and was good at it. I don't really think the writers are trying to overdo it, with the exception of Nico in GTA4. There's some camp, and it's a bit silly, but at the end all the characters end up being people that you generally like.

RDR2 has bad controls, but there are a lot of things about it that are good enough to make me get over it. I played Gothic for fucks sake and think it's one of the greatest games but it has the worst controls of all time.

I guess I'm saying that their art design is so good that the fundamentals seem poor in comparison, but they really aren't worse than many games I can think of. I don't really care if it takes me an hour or two to get used to the controls if I can do a ton of poo poo once I get used to them. I like to get lost in worlds when I play games. If I wanted super tight controls and fundamentals I guess I'd just keep playing Super Mario 3 and Ninja Gaiden forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

When I was a kid, long before I even know what tabletop RPGs/Wargames were, I'd make up my own to play with my little brother. We'd bust out army men for units, upside down tupperware for terrain, and whatever six sided die we could scavenge from the board game collection. Really simple stuff, 6 inch moves for infantry and 12-24 shooting range depending on weapon, defeating enemies on a roll of 5 or 6.

We did it with Lego too, except the ranges would be worked out in studs instead of inches. Good times.

Ocean Book posted:

warhammer and tabletop wargamming in general exists because H.G. Wells (yes the guy who wrote Invisible man and War of the Worlds) did exactly what both of you did back in 1913. he made up a bunch of bullshit rules for his toy soldiers to play a nerd game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars

quote:

Little Wars included fairly simple rules for infantry, cavalry, and artillery in the form of a toy 4.7 inch gun that launched projectiles, usually small wooden dowels to knock down enemy soldiers. In addition to its being a war game, the book hints at several philosophical aspects of war.

The book is written in a whimsical style and illustrated with amusing drawings and photographs of a game being played that Wells describes in the book. Wells also gives a description of the game from the view of one of the generals in the battle bombastically relating his memoirs.

The development of the game is explained and Wells's thoughts on war, as he was known to be a pacifist, are revealed in his writing. According to Wells, the idea of the game developed from a visit by his friend Jerome K. Jerome. After dinner, Jerome began shooting down toy soldiers with a toy cannon and Wells joined in to compete. The two decided that with an addition of written rules, a good Kriegsspiel type game could be developed. The game revolved around the use of lead hollow cast soldiers made by W. Britain and battlefields made from whatever materials were on hand, usually blocks or other toys. Simple rules of movement, firing, and close combat were developed with a set amount of time for each player to move and fire. Wells also provides a chapter of "Extensions and Amplifications of Little War". In an appendix, Wells provides "Little Wars and Kriegspiel"; more complex rules to be played in a larger space involving military logistics, military engineers, cavalry charges, and railway transport of troops.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 18, 2020