Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hey Josh how will this end?

*rips giant bong hit*

IN FIRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
*Another rip from the bong*

I have always been here.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Babylon 5: Joshing around

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

We will meet at the circle K at the hour of scampering.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

*Josh steals your lighter you lent him to light his smoke*
You: I really hate it when you do that.
Josh: Good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iron Crowned posted:

*Another rip from the bong*

I have always been high.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Josh the Zorlon is my new favourite character. :allears:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One moment of perfect bro-ty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm starting to wonder if The Doctor hasn't seen the show before. It's not just that his observation is on point - he spelled Z'Ha'Dum correctly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've thought about that as well with how astute many of his observations are. His hate for Garabialdi seems real though. Maybe he googled the spelling?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's more likely he googled the spelling than he's doing an elaborate roleplay of pretending he's never seen the show before.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or they watch with captions.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

He’s The Doctor. It’s his TARDIS’ psychic field that translates for him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I was going to beat the Shadows, but then I got high

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Londo leaving with the imps on his back reminded me of this shot/jokefrom the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, which coincidentally JMS wrote a bunch of episodes for:

I'd forgotten about this. I wonder if this intentional foreshadowing or not.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I'd forgotten about this. I wonder if this intentional foreshadowing or not.

I don't know how intentional, but Straczynski was a story editor (something closer to a showrunner)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I just really don't like the Technomages. They feel like they don't fit in Babylon 5's world, and they're one of the more... obvious examples of how JMS thought Lord of the Rings was extremely cool. In the show, they're fine as a one-off, I guess. But the fact that the lore loves them (and expanded on them in so many bad ways) and they showed up in spinoffs and all that. The episode they're in is fine and I like 'space magic' but they're just not a great concept.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I just really don't like the Technomages. They feel like they don't fit in Babylon 5's world, and they're one of the more... obvious examples of how JMS thought Lord of the Rings was extremely cool. In the show, they're fine as a one-off, I guess. But the fact that the lore loves them (and expanded on them in so many bad ways) and they showed up in spinoffs and all that. The episode they're in is fine and I like 'space magic' but they're just not a great concept.

The Technomages in the show rose above their expected level because they were all excellent actors. In addition to Michael Ansara you got Peter and Edward Woodward, who were both great. With a lesser cast they would not be as fondly thought of.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jedit posted:

I'm starting to wonder if The Doctor hasn't seen the show before. It's not just that his observation is on point - he spelled Z'Ha'Dum correctly.

Yeah, but he also thinks that Z'Ha'Dum is within Starfury range of B5, which it extremely explicitly isn't.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
When I think of the technomages I think of early Geocities websites filled with spinning 3d gifs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like for better or worse the Technomages were an idea intended to play a much bigger part that got left by the wayside when the outline changed after Sinclair was replaced with Sheridan.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I quite liked the concept of the Technomages being the Shadow equivalent of Vorlons creating Telepaths, it just never really came up and they just seemed to be a nerdier version of the Exogenesis symbiotes

Ansara and the Woodwards definitely carried the concept. It's a crying shame Ansara and Katsulas never shared a scene.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I quite liked the concept of the Technomages being the Shadow equivalent of Vorlons creating Telepaths, it just never really came up and they just seemed to be a nerdier version of the Exogenesis symbiotes

Ansara and the Woodwards definitely carried the concept. It's a crying shame Ansara and Katsulas never shared a scene.

Precisely; the problem with the Technomages is that you either need them out of the story or central to it. B5 exiled them when it introduced them. Crusade, if it had completed, was going to do interesting things with them.

I am still deeply disappointed about Crusade being sabotaged. I was fully anticipating an episode in S2 or 3 of Crusade where the crew ended up communicating with the Shadow plague in an attempt to negotiate with it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Narsham posted:

Precisely; the problem with the Technomages is that you either need them out of the story or central to it. B5 exiled them when it introduced them. Crusade, if it had completed, was going to do interesting things with them.

Maybe that's why I enjoy the Technomage Trilogy of novels more than I should.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I'm enjoying this theory in the newbie thread that Keffer was taken over by the Shadows - shame in reality he never got anything so interesting in the series!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zaroff posted:

I'm enjoying this theory in the newbie thread that Keffer was taken over by the Shadows - shame in reality he never got anything so interesting in the series!

I was just coming here to say that! Poor Keffer, the only interesting thing he ever did was die.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good job, atomicpile is the newest “can’t help myself from talking about poo poo later in the series” poster. :thumbsup:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just got to the end of S1 and spotted something in Chrysalis that I hadn't noticed before. A lurker tells Garibaldi that his contact was worried - not looked worried, was worried. That lurker is of course the unnamed character played by Gianin Loffler, who turns out to be a telepath when he reappears in S2. It's likely just a choice of words, but it can be read as foreshadowing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jng2058 posted:

Poor Keffer, the only interesting thing he ever did was slit Captain Paulsen's throat

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I can really see the concept of a Technomage working unless it involved ages old technology that nobody knew how it worked. That or technology that actually has something supernaturally involved like magic or ghosts. Otherwise, it's just hackers, who don't in the real world seem to feel the need for all the extra hocus pocus when exploiting security holes and vulnerabilities.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I think they work best in the capacity they're given in the show. They're an unexplained one-off, another mystery of a universe far vaster than the protagonists could hope to know in their lifetime. A wonder briefly glimpsed, and then fading into the darkness.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They're just campy sci fi things. Sure, I'm not in love with them and salivating to hear more about them but they were fine the one time I saw them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I can really see the concept of a Technomage working unless it involved ages old technology that nobody knew how it worked.

Well that's what is, so. The whole deal with cloaking themselves in the trappings of Ye Olde Earth Magicke is definitely JMS being a little too in love with Tolkein though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You guys seriously don't think that ren fest geeks given the technology would be like that?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Technomages are just the natural end-state of steampunks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I can really see the concept of a Technomage working unless it involved ages old technology that nobody knew how it worked. That or technology that actually has something supernaturally involved like magic or ghosts. Otherwise, it's just hackers, who don't in the real world seem to feel the need for all the extra hocus pocus when exploiting security holes and vulnerabilities.

In the novel trilogy, it's eventually revealed that

the "tech" that lets the mages do their thing is (unbeknownst to them):

a) ancient Shadow technology given to the mages by Shadow agents,

b) grown from living sentients which kills them gruesomely in the process, and

c) designed to turn its user into an uncontrollable engine of destruction and chaos, so the earliest technomages developed "spells" to divorce their use from the influence of the tech as much as possible and use it in a way that minimizes the drive-you-crazy effect.

When they find this out the mages generally accept that the best thing to happen is they just let the order die out, because ew.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That sounds more Wheel of Time than Tolkien tbh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

That sounds more Wheel of Time than Tolkien tbh

Not enough boobies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004