Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You wanna source that?

ZandigFans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

An incredibly frustrating pattern is people who don't want to be seen as the bad guys suddenly coming forward with personal trauma to justify their past or current attitudes. It's a selfish instinct and it keeps happening.

One that stands out as backfiring spectacularly is when Kevin Spacey got outed for trying to groom a 14-year-old kid and put out a half-apology that admitted no wrong-doing then immediately followed it up with finally admitting he was homosexual. At least one big LGBTQI group responded with,"gently caress off and don't try to use us as cover for being a pedophile, you piece of poo poo."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

An incredibly frustrating pattern is people who don't want to be seen as the bad guys suddenly coming forward with personal trauma to justify their past or current attitudes. It's a selfish instinct and it keeps happening.

Everyone who's done heinous poo poo has got an explanation in their past that drove their decision making. Being able to recogise yours doesn't make you special or more worthy of forgiveness.

Also in case anyone's missed it yet when his victim points out she verbally said no Starr's reply was "No you didn't, but that's ok" :fuckoff:

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Man what a loving bummer :(

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Trust No Wrestler™️

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Last time a weird Starr post got promoted, he said he did a general "promote my account" thing and a Twitter algorithm does the rest but idk if I'd believe him now..................

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/DWilkins21/status/1273441869922476032

https://twitter.com/starkmanjones/status/1273441974784348160

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Rarity posted:

Everyone who's done heinous poo poo has got an explanation in their past that drove their decision making. Being able to recogise yours doesn't make you special or more worthy of forgiveness.

Also in case anyone's missed it yet when his victim points out she verbally said no Starr's reply was "No you didn't, but that's ok" :fuckoff:

I think a big thing that was at the heart of Me Too and a big point that was missed was the ask for everyone to reflect on their past experiences and ask themselves if they screwed up. As time has gone on it's just incredibly clear very few did that. Which isn't surprising but I dunno AEW was fun tonight.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Well, drat. Glad to hear it's worked out so well for the guy. Welcome to AEW, Ricky!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Bit much to attack Bix by proxy. Delete that tweet
You know that a mob is going after me for literally no reason when even ICHIBAHN is defending me from their bullshit.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I think a big thing that was at the heart of Me Too and a big point that was missed was the ask for everyone to reflect on their past experiences and ask themselves if they screwed up. As time has gone on it's just incredibly clear very few did that. Which isn't surprising but I dunno AEW was fun tonight.

The Me Too movement started about 4 years ago and it's become increasingly obvious that a lot of men never learned a goddamn thing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

its just that men are garbage it is not unique to wrestling or leftism or anything else and its weird people want it to be

I get that this probably isn't what you were going for, but as a man that was abused by a woman this makes me feel really uncomfortable when it's already really difficult because of how much woman-on-man domestic violence is already used as a punchline, and while I'm fully aware I'm probably going to get some male fragility comments I'd really appreciate it if you didn't say that sort of stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get that this probably isn't what you were going for, but as a man that was abused by a woman this makes me feel really uncomfortable when it's already really difficult because of how much woman-on-man domestic violence is already used as a punchline, and while I'm fully aware I'm probably going to get some male fragility comments I'd really appreciate it if you didn't say that sort of stuff.

This post is entirely correct and I'm sorry you went through that :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah the snv post sucked

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I appreciate it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
general question since i see this reaction a lot from posters, but why are the people rightfully mad about the starr news able to brush off and swoon over will ospreay while he has multiple transgressions of bigotry, verbal abuse towards women, and literally covering for a rapist? The guy has literally tweeted poo poo like this in similar situations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

being garbage is ok in some ways but not in others. If anyone wants to become cool garbage without being evil, you have to upgrade your mind to +5 then use a rotten egg to ascend to decayed mind. upgrade decayed mind to +10 then ascend to garbage mind. do not go down any other path toward garbage or you will end up as one of the worst people alive. Glad to help my friends on here

this post has nothing to do with will ospreay even though it sort of looks like a response to the above post. i didn't read the above post before posting this so now i'm editing this part in. i personally do not like ospreay and feel pretty bad whenever people say he 'became a good boy' and stuff like that. he even used the same "i was assaulted in my past" excuse like david starr. it's very sad that this happened.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

general question since i see this reaction a lot from posters, but why are the people rightfully mad about the starr news able to brush off and swoon over will ospreay while he has multiple transgressions of bigotry, verbal abuse towards women, and literally covering for a rapist? The guy has literally tweeted poo poo like this in similar situations.

Because Will Ospreay has gone 'I have been a piece of poo poo, I'm trying to be better', and has, in fact, delivered on being better?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

He has since recognized he was a terrible dude, apologized for his behavior and actively tries to be a better person.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Because Will Ospreay has gone 'I have been a piece of poo poo, I'm trying to be better', and has, in fact, delivered on being better?

So Starr just has to deliver on that being better part and people should wipe their hands and look past this then?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Well AFAIK, Will didn't literally admit on Twitter to being a rapist so that makes him better than Starr

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

So Starr just has to deliver on that being better part and people should wipe their hands and look past this then?

No?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

extradite THIS! posted:

He has since recognized he was a terrible dude, apologized for his behavior and actively tries to be a better person.

has he apologized specifically for him and Bea blackballing a local wrestler from the scene when she alleged that a buddy of theirs assaulted her?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Cool, so why does someone who abused his power in wrestling to ruin a woman's life and said disgusting stuff in the last 4 years get to skirt all his dirt under the rug and get a pass by a lot of people, when others get revealed to be scum as well? People on this forum go "gently caress Big Mike Elgin" similar stuff, but then turn around and praise "dumb handsome William" like come on. People's bias to let things slide just because they enjoy the thing is obvious. gently caress Starr, gently caress Ospreay, gently caress Elgin.

the escape goat posted:

has he apologized specifically for him and Bea blackballing a local wrestler from the scene when she alleged that a buddy of theirs assaulted her?

The only thing i'm aware Ospreay maybe apologized for was telling a woman wrestler she was weak for leaving japan and treating wrestling like a game because a relative died. Maybe the slurs as well

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 18, 2020

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I didn't have "Dominique Wilkins wants to manage the newest AEW signing" in my 2020 bingo but here we are.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

most people don't put will on the same level as elgin and starr for two reasons. the biggest one is the other two guys are both sexual assaulters and that's about as bad as you can get in most peoples' eyes. the only worse things are not even okay to talk about on here except for murder.

the other thing is that will is simply a very entertaining big star in a highly thought of environment. if njpw dumped him the way they dumped elgin, there would probably be a 50/50 split on the guy. if he was in wwe it would be universally negative

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What's done is done, you cannot change the past and you can spend your entirely life trying to make up for it, but the important part is people taking actions to be a better person and not just posting a half-assed apology and pretending that whatever event it was they were involved in didn't happen. Orton, Ripley, Osperay, and Scorpio Sky's situations mostly happened out of absolute ignorance, but they're all taking actions to show they're learning and growing as people.

But there's a big rear end difference between saying something offensive and assaulting or abusing someone. That's something that Starr will have to live with for the rest of his life and his most recent apology tour has shown he doesn't even think he's done anything wrong.

I mean for gently caress's sake, Jim Ross is reflecting and changing his attitude/actions.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

KungFu Grip posted:

Cool, so why does someone who abused his power in wrestling to ruin a woman's life and said disgusting stuff in the last 4 years get to skirt all his dirt under the rug and get a pass by a lot of people, when others get revealed to be scum as well?

Very cool & good to compare somebody accused of being a creepy sex pervert to whatever it was that Ospreay did.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

most people don't put will on the same level as elgin and starr for two reasons. the biggest one is the other two guys are both sexual assaulters and that's about as bad as you can get in most peoples' eyes.

It's this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ospreay has specifically addressed and apologized for those things as far as I know, and, again, is actively and currently putting in the effort to be better. It is possible to appreciate someone’s work and their attempts to improve as a human being while still remembering that they used to be a bad person not that long ago. The fact that he is trying to be better IS in fact one of the reasons people might like him now.

I don’t think Elgin has really addressed anything properly, and also what Cavauro said. Their crimes and actions in response to being dragged are also different.

Only time will tell what Starr does from now on and if he can redeem himself. It is possible, but all of this came to light literally yesterday and his response wasn’t that amazing.

You are allowed to take whatever stance you please on any of those people, but they are all different cases.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

dsriggs posted:

Very cool & good to compare somebody accused of being a creepy sex pervert to whatever it was that Ospreay did.

Scroll up. Ospreay covered for a sex pervert and abused said sex pervert's victim into quitting wrestling and then after she came forward on twitter he made that tweet i posted. He then got said sex pervert a job an all women's wrestling promotion's training school putting multiple women at risk. Blatant enablers are just as bad as the perpetrators.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 18, 2020

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

He then got said sex pervert a job an all women's wrestling promotion's training school putting multiple women at risk.

uh holy poo poo? did NOT know that part.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I did not know that either. Really sucks

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The pro wrestling company is EVE btw, just in case anyone buys into their bullshit still.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

the escape goat posted:

uh holy poo poo? did NOT know that part.

Yeah and it came out last year when a former trainer of EVE noticed he was at their training camps helping train the women, some of which were minors, and they felt extremely uncomfortable and quit the school. I can't find their tweets and the moment, but EVE cross promoted shows with Ospreay's Frontline wrestling last year that had his rapist friend on it as well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Former trainee and she deleted her twitter account

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My "I am not a sexual predator" promoted tweet has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the tweet.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Did Pollyanna or anyone who knows her ever actually accuse Ospreay of blackballing her from shows, because I have not heard anything about him blackballing anyone outside of speculation on various forums. I would appreciate someone setting the record straight

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Ospreay situation is also a hair more complicated simply because it's super easy to say that we should always believe victims, and it's another when the person being accused is someone you're close to. The natural instinct there is to defend the person you care about. Most of Ospreay's actions around that make perfect sense if you assume he honestly believes his friend was innocent and being wrongly accused. Now that doesn't mean he's right to believe that, or that what happened afterwards isn't pretty awful when looked at objectively, but I think a lot of people tend to make the assumption that you can just flip a switch and stop caring about someone the second something like this comes out and that's just not how emotions work.