Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
It's way easier than STS but to be honest I'm down with that. I started to get pretty frustrated with STS at higher ascensions and it felt more and more serious just to get wins. This game has pretty simple/common combos, it's still not an auto win so there's enough challenge, but I find I have a way higher win rate with it and am happy to random/random my way up the covenants for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This game does get difficult at higher covenants, at least for me. I致e been at covenant 21 for like ten runs now :(

But yes random/random rules

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I don't mean that it's easy! I'm only up to Cov 18 myself. Just that I imagine the win % is far higher than STS.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Flicker's Liquor with a Shadowsiege is the goofiest thing.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
4th times the charm. Cov 24 down (Regen/Spikes yawn, got the copy 5X event just after getting the +5 regen card and yeah, that's a win)

With regards to difficulty I feel like it's more swingy than StS. There are more ways to break the game and broken combos. But you kind of need them. Even at fairly high ascension you can beat StS (well acts 1-3 anyway) with a solid deck of good high-value cards. Which you can't really do here. I guess it's more like Act 4 of StS, but with more ways you can win.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I hit cov 25 and then just apparently just became dogshit at this game. Not a single run to be proud of in days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gravy Jones posted:

I guess it's more like Act 4 of StS, but with more ways you can win.

That's a very good way to put it. Sometimes you can get dickslammed in Act 4 no matter how good your deck is, sometimes it's a breeze. But I don't want to play Act 4 all the way through the game.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

Ask, and ye shall receive. Hellhorned Champion with Slay: +25 Armor/Revenge: Gain 4 Rage, with a Branding Rites with Doublestack, Holdover, -1 cost (3 slots on spells relic), then duplicated. Relic that makes Rage give an additional +1 per stack. With enough armour he was able to take quite a few hits from Seraph, and each hit gave him a lot of attack. He had over 500 attack when Seraph went down, all from revenge rage. Babies first Cov 25 win.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

pray for my aunt posted:

Ask, and ye shall receive. Hellhorned Champion with Slay: +25 Armor/Revenge: Gain 4 Rage, with a Branding Rites with Doublestack, Holdover, -1 cost (3 slots on spells relic), then duplicated. Relic that makes Rage give an additional +1 per stack. With enough armour he was able to take quite a few hits from Seraph, and each hit gave him a lot of attack. He had over 500 attack when Seraph went down, all from revenge rage. Babies first Cov 25 win.

Does branding rites pierce? The hellhorned is squishy for health, and I would think that would have killed him.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dalaram posted:

Does branding rites pierce? The hellhorned is squishy for health, and I would think that would have killed him.

it does 5 and he starts with 6, iirc

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I cant believe I keep dying to the stealth fucker boss on easy daily challenges, ugh.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Aaaand credits. Cov 25 with a truley disgusting Thorned Hollow build: 2 spike relics, Edge Prior, Shard Channeler and a Holdover Spreading Spores.

Back to Cov 1 to get some golden imps. I still haven't even seen the bonedog card yet.

e: Ah Cov 1, having a terrible first floor and still having 74 pyre health... much more relaxing.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 18, 2020

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

Dalaram posted:

That Hellhorned Champ upgrade path gets quite a bit of HP - 40/40 at max, I think?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The game decided it really wanted me to destroy Covenant 25 for my first win at the top:

Burnout Rector Flicker is already strong, but Burnout Rector Flicker with 3 Doublestack Multistrike tomes played on him is incredible.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

How often do people go for the bonus stuff in each non-boss mission? If I can get a solid few cards I will go for it, but often I find myself paying ~20 or more pyre health rather than having a perfect run. Is it worth it for a rare unit draft? Part of me thinks yes but not sure!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

How often do people go for the bonus stuff in each non-boss mission? If I can get a solid few cards I will go for it, but often I find myself paying ~20 or more pyre health rather than having a perfect run. Is it worth it for a rare unit draft? Part of me thinks yes but not sure!

I知 almost always risking it on C25, with notable exceptions where it would destroy me due to my build. So no spell shield when I知 Stygian, or spikes when I知 using lots of multi attack, etc. The earlier the more useful the money and units, and the bonus I skip the most is the 400 gold one in the penultimate fight.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Marketing New Brain posted:

I知 almost always risking it on C25, with notable exceptions where it would destroy me due to my build. So no spell shield when I知 Stygian, or spikes when I知 using lots of multi attack, etc. The earlier the more useful the money and units, and the bonus I skip the most is the 400 gold one in the penultimate fight.

even if there's a trinket shop?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CharlesThunder posted:

even if there's a trinket shop?

There's always a trinket shop, isn't there? If you can already beat the last fight, there's no reason to assume additional risk. You don't get anything for winning more.

I've never seen a reason to skip the first one, however. It just seems so critical and the enemies don't hit that hard anyways.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game rules, came out of nowhere for me, thanks Steam recommendations

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Wow Prokhor, good job on your cov 15 win. How'd you manage to do that?

Well, I had a little help from my pal

Dante

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Prokhor posted:

Wow Prokhor, good job on your cov 15 win. How'd you manage to do that?

Well, I had a little help from my pal

Dante
The greatest joy in Monster Train is getting to turn a floor into a "don't talk to me or my son ever again" Dante kill zone.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I swear between Tethys eating poo poo any time there's spikes or sweep and the lack of floor movement Stygian is the worst faction.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cuntellectual posted:

I swear between Tethys eating poo poo any time there's spikes or sweep and the lack of floor movement Stygian is the worst faction.

One of the things that I think makes Monster Train so great is that people can see the same factions and champions in wildly different ways and have good points on either side. My personal experience has been that Tethys is the second best champion behind Burnout Rector, and Stygian has carried me to the bulk of my C20+ wins, either as the main faction or the backup. Spell weakness, sap, daze, and frostbite are all so incredibly strong when your deck is laser focused on stacking one or more of them. Even Tethys's attack spell cost reduction form can be nuts, though you generally want to start with a good damage spell as your rare in that case.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think Tethys is the hardest hero to snowball with but Frostbite 30 or Spell Weakness 3 per hit is really nothing to laugh at. Stygian is my least favorite to play as main faction too due to its shaky early game and Tethys's fragility, but I also can't deny that she's a really strong win-con piece.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

Opening gave me Sacred Wicks, Making of a Morsel and Reform Rector. I got the relic that makes units give 5 armour when they extinguish and Trample Tome, Fatal melting to deal with regular waves. I could just feed the Umbra Robot with reformed Miner Morsels until he became strong enough to beat Seraph 1-on-1.

I also tried out Hell Run yesterday, I only got matched against one person and the timer is a little tighter than I would like, but it was still a lot of fun. I got a Legion of Wax with Wickstone, Frenzystone and Minor Refraction (duped once). With Cannabalize I could play, kill, reform and play again and the 1 size meant i could fit the big one in a floor still full of tiny ones, it got very out of hand.
(Random/Random has been very nice to give me Remnant/Umbra twice in a row)

Tethys is a ridiculous boss killing machine with spell weakness and/or frostbite, but obviously she needs support to live to that point. Getting owned by Sweep/Spikes suck but even in the lategame, Stygian has bad tools for keeping tanks alive - just Sap (good), and the +Armour incants (bad). I'd out her second to 150/150 Rector in the power rankings, but even he still needs support to not just burn out.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Neato. Just had back-to-back cov 24 and 25 wins carried by duplicated, triple-upgraded Legions of Wax with the artifact that makes extinguish go off twice and the spell that triggers extinguish without killing the unit. Had all 3 both games. It was almost impossible to lose.

Edit: And the wife showed up with a fantastic steak and eggs breakfast just as I won. This is a great day.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There was a dev stream and I have lazily copy pasted the Q&A notes someone made

quote:

-new mutators: At Your Service, 2 extra Train Stewards and Advanced Protoype relic; Big Chungus, all units cost +1 capacity; Fallen Champion, no champion unit; Do the Math, turns off damage previews; (unnamed), gives you a champion from one of the 3 clans not selected; "a lot more"

-balance changes will be continual, based on feedback (F8 and Discord) and tracked metrics to ID cards that need buffed/nerfed

-not sure if every cov 25 run is winnable; pretty sure every cov 1 run is winnable

-"chump block" is a term used by the dev to mean sacrificing a unit like an imp/morsel to block damage for another

-plans are made for more content. 1st major content addition in "a few weeks". No specifics.

-considering adding replays for teaching, showing off, and banning cheaters

-mentioned that clans correspond to rings of hell, and that we currently have 5 of the 9 represented- "4 more not in the game right now"

-"fallen angel" concept would be cool on top of that, but each new clan is a lot of work

-"bringing an enemy to your side" concept unconfirmed, but possibly something for a new clan

-hell rush is currently cov 1 only so as not to fragment the the playerbase

-hell rush timers will be able to be changed for custom challenges

-dailys run an algorithm to create balanced challenges; not all mutators can be pulled

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chump blocking is a term that has been used by Magic players to describe a suicide block you're making just to stop something going face for well over 20 years, if that helps.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

Chump blocking is a term that has been used by Magic players to describe a suicide block you're making just to stop something going face for well over 20 years, if that helps.
I was about to say the same thing. It's an old, old term in exactly the kinds of circles that fit Monster Train.

"I attack with my Giant gently caress-Off Ogre." "I'll chump [block] with my Just An Ordinary Guy."

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Cuntellectual posted:

I think Tethys is the most interesting hero to jump back and forth with on the upgrade tree instead of just picking one path and sticking with it. On my last win (cov 2) I had Tethys doing 30 dmg with sweep, spell weakness 1 and frostbite 10. It was pretty fun watching the first line explode every turn and whatever barely managed to squeak through would just get swept up by the 2nd floor. I finished Seraph with 885 stacks of frostbite on them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

untzthatshit posted:

I think Tethys is the most interesting hero to jump back and forth with on the upgrade tree instead of just picking one path and sticking with it. On my last win (cov 2) I had Tethys doing 30 dmg with sweep, spell weakness 1 and frostbite 10. It was pretty fun watching the first line explode every turn and whatever barely managed to squeak through would just get swept up by the 2nd floor. I finished Seraph with 885 stacks of frostbite on them.

Do spells that add frostbite add MORE frostbite if used with spell weakness?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No. Frostbite does bypass spell shields however!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That one card that hits for 3 and applies 8 FB would hit for 0 and apply 8 FB (and eat the shield to boot)??

I don't think I ever tried to use it, I just saw the lack of damage and went "right, that won't work, try something else" in my head

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ciaphas posted:

That one card that hits for 3 and applies 8 FB would hit for 0 and apply 8 FB (and eat the shield to boot)??

I don't think I ever tried to use it, I just saw the lack of damage and went "right, that won't work, try something else" in my head

Yeah but 8 frostbite is pretty good. If you've got two or 3 sources of frost bite ( eg. hero, frozen sentry shark, and one spell) plus Hoarfrost (especially if you have 2x copies) it becomes very easy stack several hundred FB's on a boss.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The chunkiest of boys

My only regret is I couldn't get trample on the third one before my deck was too full of 0 cost ice tornados. Either way, 2 more gold cards down.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm at Covenant 23 and there's still a neutral card I haven't found. Where is it?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I gotta say I知 just no good at any strategy that doesn稚 involve thorns regen or frostbite.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm at Covenant 23 and there's still a neutral card I haven't found. Where is it?

I won't spoil the whole card, but it seems to just have a small chance of appearing at a certain normal event and offering you that card instead of what you would normally get.

I want to say it only appears at the collapsing train, 'get a random consumable card from one of three factions' event

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

pray for my aunt posted:

I won't spoil the whole card, but it seems to just have a small chance of appearing at a certain normal event and offering you that card instead of what you would normally get.

I want to say it only appears at the collapsing train, 'get a random consumable card from one of three factions' event

This is where I found it fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Two observations:

1. MT has the same save system as StS. If you leave mid battle, you can restart the fight from the beginning, though you can稚 change the modifier, if you selected it

2. If the math shows you killing the boss, hit the button and go. I was trying to take a victory lap on the bird that gets buffer per hit, and spelled him just powerful to beat my team, who otherwise would have beat him. Gave up 45 pyre health for my arrogance.