Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

was vera Lynn still alive?!

Apparently so.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-13118290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Victoria_Spratt/status/1273540940909682689?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
proud, non racist, memorial defenders at work

https://twitter.com/TinaDaheley/status/1273534837660450816?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
normal stuff to be sure. is this something the snp as leaders of scottish parliament would have any power over? i'm assuming not

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1273552915333070849?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buries the lede a bit.

quote:

The headstone of an African man who was enslaved in the 18th Century has been smashed in two.

The Grade II* listed grave of Scipio Africanus is in St Mary's Churchyard in Bristol.

A local councillor said he believed it was a "retaliation attack" for the recent toppling of the statue of slave trader Edward Colston in the city.

Avon and Somerset Police said it was investigating after receiving a report of criminal damage.

The force said it believed the damage occurred between 12:00 BST on Tuesday and 08:00 on Wednesday.

Scipio Africanus was an African servant of the 7th Earl of Suffolk.

An inscription on the brightly painted gravestone - which is one of two at the site in Henbury - says he died in the city in 1720 aged 18.

A message left in chalk on the flagstones near the grave said: "Now look at what you made me do.

"Put Colston's statue back or things will really heat up."

Conservative councillor Mark Weston, who represents Henbury on Bristol City Council, said he was "deeply saddened by what is happening".

"We have seen war memorials defaced and statues vandalised and I have to wonder where this will end," he said.

Bristol's elected mayor Marvin Rees appealed for people not to go down the route of "tit-for-tat" attacks.

Speaking during a Facebook Live Q&A, he said the "iconic piece of Bristol's history" had been "smashed in two".

"The opportunity is to showcase to the country and the world we are a city that has the ability to live with difference," he said.

Historians believe Scipio Africanus may have been born into the household of 7th Earl of Suffolk, Charles Howard, and was the son of an enslaved West African woman.

He was named by his "owners" after the Roman general Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus.

It is believed he was a well-loved member of the household because it was rare for an enslaved person to have a formal grave within a churchyard, let alone such an ornate one.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Comrade Fakename posted:

The CHAZ seems like a pretty dangerous place, check out this entirely reasonable documentary evidence:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1273050496119513089

Cool I want to go there now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

On the one hand, locals knock down a statue that they hate because the guy was a massive oval office, leading to greater discussion of the horrific crimes and a huge swing in public sentiment

On the other, racist knocks down a tombstone , leading to public disgust

Must be frustrating to be a racist in 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't take anyone seriously who is called "tucker". What sort of name is that?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Buries the lede a bit.

Yup it's definitely gonna get a bit Cable Street this summer.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jippa posted:

I can't take anyone seriously who is called "tucker". What sort of name is that?

A nickname for a fat kid at boarding school

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I have find memories of the short lived Nickelodeon show Tucker.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

some interesting info in this thread

https://twitter.com/WillardFoxton/status/1273542127188881409?s=20

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jose posted:

normal stuff to be sure. is this something the snp as leaders of scottish parliament would have any power over? i'm assuming not

I'd imagine this kind of thing would come under defence which wouldn't be devolved

(the "defence" here of course being defending arms contractors' ability to make vast stacks of cash, but still legally a uk government matter)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's just world fallacy all over again. Bad people shouldn't get statues, he has a statu, so he couldn't have been a bad person.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Notable people get statues, and he was definitely notable.

Notable mostly for doing some bullshit.

Proposal: Rhodes statues can stay but with the replacement of his name with large brass plaques reading "be gay, do crime".

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Proposal: Rhodes statues can stay but with the replacement of his name with large brass plaques reading "be gay, do crime".

Proposal: people who are notable for doing bad things get a statue, but it is upside down. Like a flag in distress.

Answer: no just throw them in the river

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

things are bleak in the US

https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1273301510961729536?s=20

while here

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1273269859477008389?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Notable people get statues for the purposes of memorialising or glorifying them.

Notable BAD people are not supposed to get statues.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

We must protect the statue of Churchill after he united the seven kingdoms to fight against the White Walkers

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ngl, I have a lot of envy for the lad in the tartan pajamas.

Can't believe they were virtue signalling all the way back then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Notable people get statues for the purposes of memorialising or glorifying them.

Notable BAD people are not supposed to get statues.
Notable bad people usually get statues because they or their fan clubs pay for them, because they're terrified of being hated or forgotten by history.

Like with the Colston Clubs, or like how everyone knew what Leopold was up to in the Congo even at the time, so he used his wealth to try and secure his legacy.

Controversial people also get statues, like Jan Smuts who was a racist weirdo but also fought the nazis and torpedoed his own political career fighting against apartheid, or Cromwell who was a big poo poo in Ireland (though scarcely more than a dozen Henries, Jameses, Georges, and Williams, not to mention Innocents, Gregories, Benadicts, and Urbans) but he got rid of monarchy and banned Christmas, which are both life goals.

I think nature has a way of sorting the outright poo poo one from the controversial, by how they end up in rivers, so with the controversial ones it's more about what we remember them for as a symbol rather than an absolute.

(always get rid of monarchy and ban Christmas)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My point is not whether there are statues of bad people. It's that the people currently looking at the statues assume that there are only statues of good people, and are wrong about it.

Am I misunderstanding your response, or was I not clear about that in the first place?

I'm suggesting that many if not most of the people who are genuinely defending the statues (as opposed to the racists using it to do a racism or the people looking to use it to have a fight) seem to be doing so because they think they are of good people. Which they think because they have statues. Because they think bad people don't have statues put up of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

brendan o'neill has been around for a long time i see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

My point is not whether there are statues of bad people. It's that the people currently looking at the statues assume that there are only statues of good people, and are wrong about it.

Am I misunderstanding your response, or was I not clear about that in the first place?

I'm suggesting that many if not most of the people who are genuinely defending the statues (as opposed to the racists using it to do a racism or the people looking to use it to have a fight) seem to be doing so because they think they are of good people. Which they think because they have statues. Because they think bad people don't have statues put up of them.
I think that's a function of people misunderstanding reality, and thinking that statues are somehow put up by a grateful populace, rather than by the people with the money to make big bronze statues.

So the distribution of statues is always going to be a mixture of absolute shitstains and ridiculously wealthy (Colston, Milligan, Leopold), 'controversial' and may have done a war crime or twenty but sometimes it was in the service of a not-terrible ideal (Cromwell, Smuts), and a tiny amount of statues to decent people put up by academies and institutions (Turing, the other one of Turing).

e: ^^ lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

I think that's a function of people misunderstanding reality, and thinking that statues are somehow put up by a grateful populace, rather than by the people with the money to make big bronze statues.

So the distribution of statues is always going to be a mixture of absolute shitstains and ridiculously wealthy (Colston, Milligan, Leopold), 'controversial' and may have done a war crime or twenty but sometimes it was in the service of a not-terrible ideal (Cromwell, Smuts), and a tiny amount of statues to decent people put up by academies and institutions (Turing, the other one of Turing).

for a moment I was like what did spike Milligan do and then I remembered it was the Robert Milligan statue that got taken down

and then I remembered this tweet and now I'm wondering why it took me so long to work out wtf was going on with it

https://twitter.com/boblister_poole/status/1270828550959046659?s=20

Apologies for the Twitter moron

Simsandwich
Feb 15, 2007
In related statue defender news...

Glasgow saw probably one of its largest ever far right assemblies outside of the 12th of July last night. Was at George Square and being confronted by a horde of roided and coked up gammons was pretty loving terrifying with police response being woefully inadequate with no cordons at all being the biggest failures.

This was in response to a demo organised by asylum seekers in Glasgow campaigning for asylum support allowance to be reinstated and food standards increased whilst they are being forced to live in a series of hotels across the city under the frankly laughable suggestion this would help protect them from coronavirus and not to save their housing accom provider Mears Group/The Home Office from spending more money on proper precautionary measures within their actual asylum seeker housing already provided.

The fash were claiming they were there to protect the cenotaph but there was never any intention by the No Evictions Group to even attempt any sort of defacement.

https://twitter.com/no_evictions/status/1273393580028170241?s=19

Donate to no Evictions if you can, they've been doing brilliant work in Glasgow for over a year now.

Perhaps the most worrying thing is how quickly such large numbers of fash were able to be mobilised, we were definitely outnumbered and it had the potential to turn really loving nasty.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lol america gonna collapse

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

for a moment I was like what did spike Milligan do and then I remembered it was the Robert Milligan statue that got taken down

and then I remembered this tweet and now I'm wondering why it took me so long to work out wtf was going on with it

https://twitter.com/boblister_poole/status/1270828550959046659?s=20

Apologies for the Twitter moron
Twitter moron was exactly the line of thought I was trying to get at, made far more succinctly by the idiots themselves.

The statue nonces keep trying to blur the lines (sometimes deliberately, sometimes through idiocy as in that case) between the statues of outright shits and the controversial or good ones, either through saying "the leftist thugs won't stop until every statue is down they're taking Spike Milligan :qq:" or "we should take down Mandela statue because he was a terrist :qq:" and I'm not sure which is more dumb so I'll go with 'both'.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it was posted the day after the Robert Milligan one came down and it's literally the only reference to the spike Milligan one in this context that shows up on Google, I think he's just genuinely got the two mixed up

I wonder what he was thinking when he kept seeing Milligan described as a slave trader

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XMNN posted:

it was posted the day after the Robert Milligan one came down and it's literally the only reference to the spike Milligan one in this context that shows up on Google, I think he's just genuinely got the two mixed up

I wonder what he was thinking when he kept seeing Milligan described as a slave trader

"Shut up Eccles!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TwoPaddocks/status/1273503382045511682?s=20

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

In Cape Town they took the down the Rhodes statue at a university five years ago, maybe one day the UK can manage to be such an enlightened country as South Africa!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

seeing sunny hundal getting rightly owned for his dreadful bolivia analysis. it's very indicative of the media class how none of them were persuaded it was a coup by the hours of footage of soldiers forcing MAS reps to sign resignation letters at gunpoint, no no, it just took the NYT and OAS to admit as much. as always, long after there's any chance of the ousted government returning.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

You raise a good point - people keep saying we should take down statues of bad people, but many forget that some of these so-called "bad" people were actually incredibly rich. If we start condemning the wealthy just because of a massacre they did or the people they bought and sold, where will it all end?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

My bedroom ceiling is leaking which means the roof must also be leaking cool I can't wait for the landlord to take forever to fix things and then the fixing to be an extremely loud job that devastates my room and involves people IN my room and takes forever to do very cool very cool

Solidarity, fellow landlord anxiety pal. I wish I could offer more, sat here in my flat without a working oven, a boiler that only works when it wants to, and windows so draughty that I can see clear daylight through the gaps. No idea what either of us can do about it, but you're not alone

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

seeing sunny hundal getting rightly owned for his dreadful bolivia analysis. it's very indicative of the media class how none of them were persuaded it was a coup by the hours of footage of soldiers forcing MAS reps to sign resignation letters at gunpoint, no no, it just took the NYT and OAS to admit as much. as always, long after there's any chance of the ousted government returning.

Ah, well. Nevertheless...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

he didn't like me replying to some post about obama being a poo poo president lol

honestly can't tell if the examples in this thread are parodies or not because the real thing have been so bad

https://twitter.com/SamMoore249/status/1273358422017261568?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jose posted:

honestly can't tell if the examples in this thread are parodies or not because the real thing have been so bad

i have a feeling they're settling into a comfortable permanent opposition role. i don't think they truly care enough to wanna win an election. mostly they're concerned with internal stability and shoring up careers now.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

gh0stpinballa posted:

I didn't really know who he was other than "a British person with bad takes", so when I saw someone retweet* him saying "Ok I admit it was a coup", I initially assumed he was talking about the Labour party!

*or like or reply or eyeball or whatever other things Twitter now counts as a reason to show on your timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

That's a long-ish thread when the answer is "because Labour is staffed by talentless lifer hacks who got their job courtesy of nepotism"