Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Constance is so great. I once got ten uses of Bolting in a single map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Probably the worst thing about the DLC story is that looking at the Ashen Wolf classes you'd think you have healing covered, right? Turns out neither Hapi nor Constance bothered to even get a healing spell. Aside from Linhardt, the only good healer is... Abby who comes with a magic class for emergency healing. Yeah.

Edelgard stayed Fortress Knight for all but one map for me. You probably know which one. One character with 4 move was bad enough.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Massive gauntlet of tough enemies, then the freaking Death Knight shows up. What the hell? How are you supposed to take him down without Dark Spikes cheese?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You don't need to defeat him, he just acts as a timer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Massive gauntlet of tough enemies, then the freaking Death Knight shows up. What the hell? How are you supposed to take him down without Dark Spikes cheese?

Everything about Cindered Shadows feels off to me, from the gameplay to the characters to the items it makes available. I've seen a video LP of it, and this LP going much more in depth about it, while appreciated, is solidifying my decision to not buy the (or any) DLC.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dark spikes make it easier but there are ways to beat him without it. My strategy was to use Byleth to take the first hit and then dogpile him as carefully as possible. It is risky but a free weapon and exp is worth a lot.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I generally play Normal/Casual, and even on those settings CS maps can be very stressful. Some of them in a good/satisfying way, others not.

Honestly though the Wolves are worth it to me, they’re fun in regular play.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Cindered Shadows was really solid DLC. But hard is closer to maddening than hard in the regular game. In particular it leans heavily on the idea that because you've got the ability to reverse time it can surprise you with stuff like the death knight or same turn move reinforcements.

There's one map that's harder than the wave reinforcement map imo.

Of your units Dimitri and Edelgard can both tank a hit from the Death Knight. In terms of killing him, both the aforementioned house leaders can hit him and eat a counter and Constance and Hapi have enough magic power to strike a decisive finishing blow on him.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Natural 20 posted:

Cindered Shadows was really solid DLC. But hard is closer to maddening than hard in the regular game. In particular it leans heavily on the idea that because you've got the ability to reverse time it can surprise you with stuff like the death knight or same turn move reinforcements.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind that if Hard didn't pull the massive dick move of cutting your DP charges from 10 to 5, which is barely more than you'd start with from a fresh New Game.

Also, both of the paralogues that completing CS unlocks are significantly harder than anything in CS itself. Both of them took me several hours to finally clear on AM Maddening...

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I love how Edelgard's reaction to the Death Knight randomly showing up out of nowhere is her just being completely done with him. In the main game he's this menacing monster that can wipe out your entire team barring Lysithea shenanigans and here it's just 'ugh, this guy'.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Edelgard's reaction mirrors the player's: "Why are you even here? Urgh, just go away already!"

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
DK: "I heard that you left your pocket nuke at home, so maybe this time I'll actually get to fight against the Sword of the Creator"
*Edelgard massages forehead*

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

Probably the worst thing about the DLC story is that looking at the Ashen Wolf classes you'd think you have healing covered, right? Turns out neither Hapi nor Constance bothered to even get a healing spell. Aside from Linhardt, the only good healer is... Abby who comes with a magic class for emergency healing. Yeah.
It's overlooked, but your healers for this DLC also include Balthus since War Monk gives Heal as a class ability, and Yuri gets Heal and Recover so he can show off the Trickster's magic abilities. But you know what's the real kick in the teeth? Hapi learns Physic in the main game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 52.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I can't shake the feeling that one of their names is...also a food or something.

I of course have no idea what their names are, but I do note than one of Linhardt's favorite cooking ingredients is Noa Fruit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to be upfront, this is probably the worst map of the DLC for me. You are against an endless wave of monsters--enemies that require precious resources (gambits) and valuable time to defeat--all while trying to guess which special spot is the right one to end the map. If the arena map was slow, this map is very tedious and just plain annoying to deal with. Thank god the rest of maps from here on out are simply "annoying but manageable" rather than "a lazy timesink meant to make sure you don't finish the level in under 10 turns". Seriously, were it not for the reinforcement waves of golems, this map would be easier to deal with.

I am so glad that I luckshitted into finding the correct spot on my first guess. Especially since I was absolutely loving done with this map by that point.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I of course have no idea what their names are, but I do note than one of Linhardt's favorite cooking ingredients is Noa Fruit.

Beat me to the punch!

I really do miss the version of Lucky Seven from Awakening and Fates.

Fun information: Nuvelle is geographically adjacent to Ochs (the region the actual Monica was heir to), both of which were devastated in the Dagda and Brigid War. Nuvelle was a popular tourist destination within the Empire before the war, probably due to the same seafront property that caused it to be the initial staging ground of the invasion. It's also home to the three DLC servant battalions.

This map... well, it's pretty neat to learn what's below the bridge! And it's certainly pretty different! It's... a real pain, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Noa is one of those names, correct. The other three are Aubin, Chevalier, and Timotheos, which could be some kind of breakfast cereal if you squint. You know, Timothe-Os.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wait, did they literally just put it in a hole under the bridge?

Wow.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Wow.
This is the Fire Emblem franchise. Enhanced security for plot items/legendary weapons/et al is a very foreign concept. The fact that Rhea (presumably) put sentient murder golems down there as security measures puts her well above the pack.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

Wow.

I mean putting it in the bottom of a chasm surrounded by one of the most secure places in the continent seems like a good plan to me.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I love Constance. Her gimmick of having a split personality in the sun is so goddamn weird and endearing, it's not like anything I've ever seen before.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SoundwaveAU posted:

I love Constance. Her gimmick of having a split personality in the sun is so goddamn weird and endearing, it's not like anything I've ever seen before.

I don't hate Constance but I get a weird 'look how quirky this character is!' vibe from her, kind of like some of the terrible character choices in Fates.

I mean she has more depth than Peri, but you could have sold her as the 'haughty noble trying to restore her house' just fine without the random weird split personality.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I don't think anyone goes into CS expecting sudden Byleth-mom information heh.

One of the Rhea-related music tracks is also Gazing at Sirius. Which I think was mentioned before.-+

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Update 52.

"The Blue Sea Star, for a reminder, is where Sothis and Seiros originally hailed from, according to the Church of Seiros.

Fun coincidence, the star Sirius in our world (which "Sothis" is another name for) is the brightest object in the Canis Majoris constellation. Canis, dogs, wolves, you get the connection, I'm sure. "

My personal theory is that Sothis and Seiros are alien visitors to this planet who ruled using their superior technology. Just to add some ancient aliens in to the lizard and mole people conspiracies.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

SoundwaveAU posted:

I call her Sunny. Because of her sunny disposition.

Like most of the Three Houses characters, Constance is a surprisingly well done character cliché. Her second personality is used sparingly in her supports, several actually don't mention it at all, which is surprisingly restrained given how character gimmicks are usually handled in Fire Emblem (did you know that Ilyana likes to eat?). She has enough other things going for her that she doesn't come across as a one-note character.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Normally the whole 'two personality' gimmick is my least favorite, but I actually like Constance almost as much as some of my faves from the main cast, and I think it's because of two things-
1- Her 'gimmick' doesn't actually feel like 'two personalities' so much as swinging between wildly bluster/overcompensation for insecurity and her underlying low-self esteem/fear/depression coming out. Feels slightly more considered and holisitc in a way that makes sense with her story.
and
2- The gimmick isn't all there is to her character, neither 'side' of the gimmick is irritating to interact with.

Anyway Constance is good. I'm rolling with her as a Dark Flier on maddening NG+ even if it's not Optimal because I love Flying Pony Magic classes, and she's steamrolling just as well as the rest of my units.

Edit: I like Hapi a lot two- the sigh/monster thing feels like a gimmick that I don't love, but her character itself is solid.

Balthus is funny, fine with me.

Yuri's the only Ashen Wolf I'm kinda 'eh' on, but that's mostly not because I find him a bad character but just not super interesting.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The DLC is awesome since the Hard Mode actually hits right where i want it in difficulty where it's not utterly pathetic like normal Hard Mode is but it isn't quite the pain in the rear end Maddening can be a lot of the time.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RevolverDivider posted:

The DLC is awesome since the Hard Mode actually hits right where i want it in difficulty where it's not utterly pathetic like normal Hard Mode is but it isn't quite the pain in the rear end Maddening can be a lot of the time.

Yeah I loved it and would like to see the next game resemble it a little more than the totally freeform 3H main story. : )

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't hate Constance but I get a weird 'look how quirky this character is!' vibe from her, kind of like some of the terrible character choices in Fates.

I mean she has more depth than Peri, but you could have sold her as the 'haughty noble trying to restore her house' just fine without the random weird split personality.
For me, it'd help if her character gimmick was implemented better. This game has a lot of outdoor maps across all routes, which means you'll have Nega Constance the majority of the time. So the potential for more damage to stack with things like Fiendish Blow is going to be very rare. Like, out of the stages we've seen so far, Enbarr Castle and Shambala are among the few times you'd get Happy Constance.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I do think that assigning stat bonuses based on if the map is indoors or outdoors is unfair to the player, since they have no control over that, but on the other hand, the bonuses are at least small enough that I don't feel like I'm being robbed. Still, it does suck. Using a full Silver Snow run as an example, you get regular Constance for the following maps:
  • Mutiny in the Mist (Ch3)
  • The Goddess's Rite of Rising (Ch4)
  • Tower of Black Winds (Ch5)
  • Rumors of a Reaper (Ch6)
  • Throne of Knowledge (Ch11)
  • The City Without Light (Ch20)
Discounting maps where Constance is impossible to use (Prologue, Ch1, Ch13), that's 6 chapters out of 19 where you're not stuck with Nega Constance, and you only get one chapter in Part 2 without her. And this isn't just a Silver Snow problem, VW and AM's Part 2s only have one map without Nega Constance. Ouch. CF doesn't fare much better at a whopping two. At least both AM and CF's endgames have regular Constance...

Paralogues fare even worse, with only three out of the game's 28 paralogues not having Nega Constance. Oh, and two of those are fog of war, so have fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
In fairness, Nega Constance is much better than normal Constance.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 53.

Happy Juneteenth. Black lives matter, all cops are bastards, defund the police.

Rea fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 20, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Got an Adan portrait down there at the bottom.

Cardinal Aelfric? Wonder which White Beast he was.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ugh, the rest of the DLC is uphill from here. I hated that map.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

You're updating like mad, I love it. I also love the yelling at your past self schtick. That map looks excruciating.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I understand there's no real "panic" track in the game, but..."Wrath Strike" only adds to the frustration of this map because of how annoying it gets due to, as mentioned, not being composed for such a map setup. Honestly, I would have put in a new track or yanked "Tempest of Seasons" over to pinch hit because it fulfills the high energy feeling that is supposed to fit this escape map.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

DKII posted:

I also love the yelling at your past self schtick.

I get mad at code I wrote last week, it's no surprise that I get mad at really bad tactics from months ago.

Maddening has really taught me the value of Curved Shot. 3 durability is absolutely worth +30 Hit, nevermind the extra tile of range. Lemme tell you, you do not want to have to burn a Divine Pulse charge because you thought "eh, 60-70 is close enough, I'll save the durability," especially on Maddening, where your Divine Pulse charges are lowered compared to Normal/Hard.

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 20, 2020

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Smash for Axes has a similar thing, and it's the reason why I'm not as concerned about Hilda having low innate accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This map is what I imagine playing Thracia is like. It's extremely tense, even on Normal.