Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I mean, if everyone is playing a 40ft-long immortal star dragon, it's fine.

NorgLyle posted:

Did they bring back racial penalties in 5th Edition? In 4th it was just 'Hobbits are naturally friendly and agile have some +2s'.

Orcs had an intelligence penalty, and I think there's a handful of other penalties kicking around. Ebberon and the Critical Role setting removed the INT penalty for orcs, but I don't know anything else about them, really.

GreenMetalSun has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If everyone is a 40-ft-long immortal star dragon, then no one will be

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Basically yes. You can’t have minotaurs move out of “things that are generally acceptable to kill” or it ruins how the game’s set up. Editorial didn’t want to lose Minotaurs as a thing in the Monster Manual. (I’m thinking these are Knaak’s books on the Minotaurs of Taladas in Dragonlance, FYI.)

The book I’m thinking of was a dragonlance book, legend of Huma I think? Which double checking was written by knaak. Good call

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Dungeons and Dragons is removing racial modifiers and rewriting the more problematic elements of their lore around drow/orcs and boy howdy are there some takes

I don't think this guy is serious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Reminder that one of the original authors of D&D thought evil races could be compared to Native Americans; i.e. they’re inherently evil savages, and killing them was a categorically good and wholesome act. It’s not wrong that D&D is moving away from his original vision, but, uh, that’s not a bad thing.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

IamnotJoe posted:

I don't think this guy is serious.

I have some really bad news for you about Dungeons and Dragons players.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GreenMetalSun posted:

I have some really bad news for you about Dungeons and Dragons players.
Not to mention people who quote Syndrome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

d3lness posted:

DnD grognards are feces given sapience. I have met these types of people in every game store I've gone to and they always ruin everything for everybody.
He's really not kidding. Grognards are super real and they're as awful the stereotypes would have you believe.

Arivia posted:

Basically yes. You can’t have minotaurs move out of “things that are generally acceptable to kill” or it ruins how the game’s set up. Editorial didn’t want to lose Minotaurs as a thing in the Monster Manual. (I’m thinking these are Knaak’s books on the Minotaurs of Taladas in Dragonlance, FYI.)
It's funny to watch the push-pull of Wizards where they have to have this compelling official canon but part of the appeal of D&D is customizing the setting, so you end up with a lot of rigid orthodox motherfuckers who take poo poo way too goddamn seriously bumping into pretentious outcast monsterfuckers who only know one song that goes "What if Minotaur but good? Oh I just blew your mind didn't I?"

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

d3lness posted:

DnD grognards are feces given sapience. I have met these types of people in every game store I've gone to and they always ruin everything for everybody.

I mean I get that they are terrible pieces of poo poo that barely know the basics of human interaction, but you'd think that people who spend their entire lives playing a game that consists primarily of reading and writing would be able to create legible sentences.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Guilty posted:

I mean I get that they are terrible pieces of poo poo that barely know the basics of human interaction, but you'd think that people who spend their entire lives playing a game that consists primarily of reading and writing would be able to create legible sentences.

Just like people who work with the oppressed and underprivileged on a daily basis should have some sympathy for said groups? I'm talking about the police on the off chance that was unclear.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There are a lot of people who think having hobbies socially perceived as nerdy and geeky makes them smart rather than actually doing anything to grow smarter. My undergrad comp sci was full of students that knew they were smart and good with computers because they played WoW and fixed grandma's router settings. Obviously the fact they were failing their classes wasn't because they slacked off and never listened. No their failing proved they were smarter than the professor because if a bunch of smart people like them couldn't effortlessly get As the class was pointless and poorly taught.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

lol even if ten times as many black people immigrated than were slaves what the gently caress would the point of that prager vid be? There weren’t as many slaves so it wasn’t that bad???

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

lol even if ten times as many black people immigrated than were slaves what the gently caress would the point of that prager vid be? There weren’t as many slaves so it wasn’t that bad???

My assumption is that it’s supposed to make you doubt any black person who claims to be descended from slaves.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

d3lness posted:

Just like people who work with the oppressed and underprivileged on a daily basis should have some sympathy for said groups? I'm talking about the police on the off chance that was unclear.

According to certain relatives of mine, no, because you keep meeting people that suck and fit the stereotypes, so clearly this means the stereotypes are completely right. At least as long as you ignore that you'll naturally have less interaction with all the completely normal people, because they have significantly less contact with police, social services, etc.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Calico Heart posted:

Black people wanted to be here anyway so slavery was good :downs:

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

mind the walrus posted:

He's really not kidding. Grognards are super real and they're as awful the stereotypes would have you believe.

It's funny to watch the push-pull of Wizards where they have to have this compelling official canon but part of the appeal of D&D is customizing the setting, so you end up with a lot of rigid orthodox motherfuckers who take poo poo way too goddamn seriously bumping into pretentious outcast monsterfuckers who only know one song that goes "What if Minotaur but good? Oh I just blew your mind didn't I?"

Goddamn it. I am the idiot for believing the best of people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

There are a lot of people who think having hobbies socially perceived as nerdy and geeky makes them smart rather than actually doing anything to grow smarter. My undergrad comp sci was full of students that knew they were smart and good with computers because they played WoW and fixed grandma's router settings. Obviously the fact they were failing their classes wasn't because they slacked off and never listened. No their failing proved they were smarter than the professor because if a bunch of smart people like them couldn't effortlessly get As the class was pointless and poorly taught.
This is definitely part of it. You end up with a lot of maladjusted young men who grew up imbibing escapist media uncritically and truly believe they're the hero of their lives and that the universe will roll out in front of them for showing up and doing the bare minimum.

Calico Heart posted:

"Don't listen to black people because they don't know what they're talking about."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's me, I'm the idiot for associating with nerds who play roleplaying games online.

"Harumph well if people didn't want racism in their games, they could just houserule it out!!!!! Clearly it's black people's fault for identifying with orcs in the first place. If they didn't do that, we could just make orcs as racist as we wanted and no one would be upset."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Henchman of Santa posted:

My assumption is that it’s supposed to make you doubt any black person who claims to be descended from slaves.

Also "when they talk about reparations then you know it's because they're just lazy and looking for handouts"

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i feel you could get around the whole "different ability scores for different species is racist" thing by not having other playable species just be blatantly "a human culture, but with funny ears/green skin" and actually be, you know, notably different than humans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could probably go a long way by not giving anyone penalties too, like maybe everyone gets a bonus but nobody gets penalties.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

also i feel like calling them "species" or something instead of "races" might help
you don't have to blindly ape tolkein's wording on stuff like that

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Alternatively, give bonuses by class so any race can be anything. Race shouldn't be more than a tool for story telling. Crunch should always be completely neutral. Fluff is where you can describe where those bonuses come from if you really want.

E: ^^ Race is really a bad word to have codified for this kinda separation.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

d3lness posted:

Crunch should always be completely neutral. Fluff is where you can describe where those bonuses come from if you really want.

you had me until here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

True I guess, you could just introduce a "background" option which includes all the current racial stat modifiers as a result of your early life, so you can still double dip by playing a strong fighty dude or a smart wizard or whatever, or play against type by playing a dumb wizard or a weedy fighter, it just doesn't have anything to do with your race/species.

Except I guess hobbits are still small.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

full confession, i haven't played a tabletop game in which orcs or elves or even humans were a playable species in like a decade so my views on the subject may be weird

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/smallivy_si/status/1273584677861949442?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You could still have size penalties (gnomes and halflings) without making it all Race Science.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

5E has literally two races with penalties to any stats, which is kinda crazy

Orcs have -2 Int but Kobolds have -4 charisma. Real crazy that if the 80 playable races altogether those are the two with penalties

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

d3lness posted:

Alternatively, give bonuses by class so any race can be anything. Race shouldn't be more than a tool for story telling. Crunch should always be completely neutral. Fluff is where you can describe where those bonuses come from if you really want.

E: ^^ Race is really a bad word to have codified for this kinda separation.
:agreed: completely and totally. It makes sense when you consider the relatively white, homogenous origins of the genre but it's time to move beyond it and you can do that pretty easily without much fuss.

Although I won't lie it is really funny to DM games where the players want to be super-exotic rare snowflake races and are then surprised that backwater human hicks are unwelcoming and they have to work harder for basic stuff like lodging and information. What the gently caress did you guys think was going to happen?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

You could still have size penalties (gnomes and halflings) without making it all Race Science.
5e does it pretty well imo. If you're smaller you can move less per turn, but you can occupy the same space as a bigger creature without penalty. It's a nice tradeoff that I've seen lead to good battle strategies.

Jesus freaks really need to learn how loving weird they look to outsiders.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Calico Heart posted:

i haven't watched the video and i wont watch it

the claim is that if more africans immigrated willingly to the united states after slavery than africans were forcibly moved to america during the slave trade, then more people in the united states have african rather than african american heritage, and thus can't complain about slavery being impactful to their lives. something like, the number of people directly with a heritage of slavery is small, so slavery can't still matter today

this argument ignores:

-population growth over 150 years
-that slavery entrenched a white power structure which actively existed well into the 20th century and which still mostly exists today despite increasing attempts to dismantle it
-this white power structure does not draw distinctions between americans of recent african heritage and african americans with centuries of ancestors in america

it's just misdirection trying to minimize and dismiss the still present effects of slavery on american society

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Dungeons and Dragons is removing racial modifiers and rewriting the more problematic elements of their lore around drow/orcs and boy howdy are there some takes

So you mean like TSR did with AD&D 2nd Ed? :raise:

I know this is cheating, but:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1273634152433188865

Also:
https://twitter.com/MrMaitra/status/1273631138184155136

:thunk:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Although I won't lie it is really funny to DM games where the players want to be super-exotic rare snowflake races and are then surprised that backwater human hicks are unwelcoming and they have to work harder for basic stuff like lodging and information. What the gently caress did you guys think was going to happen?

In my experience, people who want to be as outlandish as possible with their race/class combinations are doing it in lieu of having a personality.

There's this weird disconnect in D&D too, where a number of the other 'races', tieflings, genasi, aasimar, gith (depending on if you use the lore that they were humans altered by illithid genetic tampering), are literally humans. I've personally witnessed a woman in her late thirties throw a sobbing, screaming, literally shaking temper tantrum in the middle of a game because I was like, 'Yeah, tieflings are just another phenotype of humans who happen to have horns and water genasi are just another type of humans who happen to have gills. No one on the world would even think to suggest that they weren't human'.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OwlFancier posted:

You could probably go a long way by not giving anyone penalties too, like maybe everyone gets a bonus but nobody gets penalties.

It also really doesn't help that "intelligence" is a stat. It's pretty hard to avoid unfortunate implications when you decide that intelligence is measurable and some types of people just have more of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could probably replace intelligence with like, "psyche" or something more abstract.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not even supposed to be a measure of how "smart" you are, that's rolled into the wisdom stat. It's just for wizards to keep track of how well they memorize spells

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

d3lness posted:

Alternatively, give bonuses by class so any race can be anything.
That's what they're doing and that's what the IosM are mad at!

d3lness posted:

Crunch should always be completely neutral.
Why do you tell lies and impossibilities

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

GreenMetalSun posted:

In my experience, people who want to be as outlandish as possible with their race/class combinations are doing it in lieu of having a personality.

level 1 male human fighter spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Replace the entire stat block with Gumption Moxie Spunk Razzamataz Chutzpah and Enthusiasm.