Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

I just realised that star wars bf2 has a decent single player game! Enjoying zapping the rebel scum.

It's surprising how often I'll be playing something and think this is so much better than star citizen.

It gets quite difficult at one point, but still a decent blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nyast posted:

Note that I never said that SC looked better, only that you took effort in comparing apples vs oranges :)

I mean, if you look at your two first pictures, the one with the running character from behind in SC and the one in Horizon Dawn Zero.. you can't really say the HD:Z character looks any better than the one in SC. Although it's hard to compare directly, cause one is from the back, so you don't even see his face. You can speak of artistic style ofc, SC characters are generic as gently caress, but in terms of production quality, I wouldn't say these other games are light-years ahead of SC's.

Now if you compare your NPC in Andromeda with another NPC also sitting in a chair in SC:

Point is, some look better, some look worse, but I don't agree with the idea that in-game characters in SC are looking way worse than in recent games.

Sure.

But one thing I tried to avoid was the cig trailers, which looks like where you pulled your dude from. Does he actually look like that in the game?

I haven't seen anybody in YouTube streams talking to that guy yet so there's nothing I could post for that. :shrug:

I'm only yanking stuff from people's gameplay on YouTube videos. :)

Edit:
Except the Last of Us 2 stuff, that's not out yet. :shrug:

But based off of it being Naughty Dog, I'm pretty confident it's going to look pretty close to what they're demoing.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 18, 2020

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm incredibly mad I've found out about that Shipbreakers game now because it's only an EA release and according to their steam page they think they won't be done until 2022. The idea behind it looks SO GOOD but I'm loving tired of burning out on half-finished games.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

I'm quite surprised why they never thought of going right to left with the symbols. Or top to bottom script.

:laffo:

Star Citizen : free things make them uncomfortable.

Someone should take random phrases from that piece and put them on t-shirts to sell in Japan.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

bbchops posted:

This is such an incredibly naïve view of EC2. They clearly haven't actually tried any of this.

It is.

Amazon is being held together by wishes and cash. The New World MMO is suffering from being panned by Beta testers and is covered by an NDA.

EC2 instances are provisioned randomly on shared occupancy hardware, and the network structure is not given to high performance. We’re completing our half-decade move to AWS and will start migrating back out shortly; the plans for cloud agnostic didn’t pan out because cloud providers prefer lockin.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here's your Star Citizen mission giver npc I could find.

She's talking to the player right now. The player has to move in front of her so she was talking to the player properly.

But sure... this is effectively your "cutscene quality" person in a staged conversation and this is what you can compare other close ups to I guess.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Only 3 layers of clothing? This isn't fidelity at all!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bbchops posted:

This is such an incredibly naïve view of EC2. They clearly haven't actually tried any of this.

What do you mean latency? what's that?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Here's your Star Citizen mission giver npc I could find.

She's talking to the player right now. The player has to move in front of her so she was talking to the player properly.

Ok, be honest. Who else thought for a minute that they were watching a screenshot from a film?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Ok, be honest. Who else thought for a minute that they were watching a screenshot from a film?

I for one am depressed that my skin looks more rough than a grizzled war veteran with a robotic leg who works hard labor on a space base.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

But one thing I tried to avoid was the cig trailers, which looks like where you pulled your dude from. Does he actually look like that in the game?

i seriously feel like opening SC just go get a fresh full res pristine screenshot of how bad SC NPCs look.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also what's the company logo on everybody's shirt? Is it Ova? Because it's pretty lame for a girl to wear a shirt with a logo that's named Ova. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here's another dude you can talk to and zoom in on, so I guess this is a major npc off some sort.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm incredibly mad I've found out about that Shipbreakers game now because it's only an EA release and according to their steam page they think they won't be done until 2022. The idea behind it looks SO GOOD but I'm loving tired of burning out on half-finished games.

I dip into them. It suits my novelty driven patterns. Once they hit release I'll take a stab at completing them.

Shipbreakers has quite the tight loop at the moment, it remains to be seen if they can clothe it a little more, but the audio and aesthetic so far are really nice. Very Chris Foss. I did notice that the area around my 'yard' started to change up, and some of those things are fascinating, but I suspect it might be part of the 'destiny denied' background.

The start-up sequence was very nice. You can see the Homeworld influences all over the place, but seasoning rather than LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH or 'Fellow Kids'.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the launcher does not have a launcher button at the moment. it did ask me to allow itself to update, but the launch button didn't come back after that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I for one am depressed that my skin looks more rough than a grizzled war veteran with a robotic leg who works hard labor on a space base.

Have you trying taking selfies out of focus or -if you wear them- smearing some vaseline on your glasses?

Oh, wait, you're a ship!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Inacio posted:

the launcher does not have a launcher button at the moment. it did ask me to allow itself to update, but the launch button didn't come back after that.

It is saving you from yourself.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Have you trying taking selfies out of focus or -if you wear them- smearing some vaseline on your glasses?

Oh, wait, you're a ship!

I'm either a rusty bucket sunk into the ocean and/or an average lass with glasses and a desk job.

Technically one of these should look better than robot leg girl who wears more layers than necessary when your outer jacket is an armpit hugging short sleeve jacket of sorts.

If you're hot... maybe don't wear three layers of tank tops and heavy jacket tank tops?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i managed to make the launcher button appear.

this number is going up and down.
$40,000 spenders get priority slots?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

e: it crashed

e: 2: the second coming:

this is good for star citizen

marumaru fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 18, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is what miles three jackets looks like for me as of today

Dunno what my settings are, the game crashed before I could check. But probably somewhere between medium and high I guess idk. He looks fine - less of the horrible plasticy-ness that you see on most Star Citizen npcs and pcs - but not like... great. I don't play a lot of games with a big focus on facial fidelity but he's probably on par with like minor npcs in something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, except maybe a little more smoothly animated in his movement (because of course everything he does is mocapped)?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Inacio posted:

e: it crashed

Game launchers are notoriously difficult to program, you can tell this by how every launcher for every game crashes constantly before you even enter the game. The fact that CIG's launcher only sometimes crashes is a testament to how they're doing things that have never been done before.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i want to mention that it's noon on a thursday

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sueRIan3DhY&t=85s

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Inacio posted:

i want to mention that it's noon on a thursday

Just a testament to how popular Star Citizen is, with a playerbase of 2M+

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I was about to post "that looks quite okay" until I saw the hands. They clearly are reducing polycount as much as they can now that Crobear ain't watching.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

This is what miles three jackets looks like for me as of today

Dunno what my settings are, the game crashed before I could check. But probably somewhere between medium and high I guess idk. He looks fine - less of the horrible plasticy-ness that you see on most Star Citizen npcs and pcs - but not like... great. I don't play a lot of games with a big focus on facial fidelity but he's probably on par with like minor npcs in something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, except maybe a little more smoothly animated in his movement (because of course everything he does is mocapped)?

The dude looks fine to me in a screenshot!

Did he look at you when he's talking or did you have to position yourself to be in his line of sight as he was talking?

It seems like a lot of the videos is the npc is playing a static animation and the player sort of moves themself to be in the line of sight of the guy they're talking to rather than the npc turning or looking to face them.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Inacio posted:

then you're wrong, sorry. this isn't a matter of opinion (even though, in my opinion, SC's artstyle, including human characters, is bad), it's purely technical. CIG can't possibly keep up.

tl;dr: buy an idris

Yep, yep, keep comparing apples and oranges, here an entire list of main characters in cinematics, versus a random mob character in Star Citizen.

I give up on this discussion, logic doesn't seem to apply here.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

i managed to make the launcher button appear.

this number is going up and down.
$40,000 spenders get priority slots?

Didn't figure this would still be an issue after the free flight ended.

I guess S.C. is just super busy and packed with people playing it. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nyast posted:

Yep, yep, keep comparing apples and oranges, here an entire list of main characters in cinematics, versus a random mob character in Star Citizen.

Don't be that way, I've been playing in your sandbox fairly. :)

I even said the guy with the jacket with two collars looks ok too! :)

Cig isn't going to fail at everything. They'll hit something good too, especially in the art department since that's where most of their time, money, and effort seems to go.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

The dude looks fine to me in a screenshot!

Did he look at you when he's talking or did you have to position yourself to be in his line of sight as he was talking?

It seems like a lot of the videos is the npc is playing a static animation and the player sort of moves themself to be in the line of sight of the guy they're talking to rather than the npc turning or looking to face them.

He actually did look at me once I got close enough. I tried standing on the opposite side of the table but couldn't get a good view of his face cause there was a non-usable stool there, but if you basically run up and smash into him where that screenshot is taken, he looks up and plays a scripted response (I haven't 'unlocked' his missions yet). Miles is a "higher tier" NPC if I remember correctly, so he actually gets reaction animations unlike all those t-posed clones sliding around the map.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nyast posted:

That fidelity is one of Star Citizen's selling points. No compromises for console plebs.

These mission givers are also the closest thing to main characters the PU has.

The point is that the development is taking so long they are being overtaken & surpassed, even by console plebs. Artistically they did a fine job if they had released the game anywhere close to on time.

Bear in mind that a lot of commentary on this topic is tied in with well-deserved mockery of citizens posting 'I can't tell the difference between SC and a movie!" screenshots.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 18, 2020

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can't tell if that is serious or not.

Help

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The development is extremely subtle,

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think the biggest issue with their art overall is that it's a 4K textures of a white wall, so in one tiny once of it somebody can put a warning label on it that you can zoom in on and adult read.

And that a considerable amount is somewhat devoid of character. Like the guy in the tire would look perfectly at home in Sims 4, and nothing sets him apart.

Jacket guy looks like he'd be in a game set in some arctic thing, but he doesn't scream "future man driving space ships" at me. That's probably due to this requirement of being WW2 in space.

That's the aesthetic, which is fine. It's just also something you might not expect from a company that sunk $300M into development of a video game supposedly, either. That's kind of a big number to be pumping out what is effectively themeless or derivative feeling artwork.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nyast posted:

there are a few NPCs (the one you posted included) that are the actual high fidelity characters. they have to look good because your "conversations" with them are the cinematics. there's just no loading screen.

i'm comparing characters in cinematics with characters in cinematics.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

Don't be that way, I've been playing in your sandbox fairly. :)

I even said the guy with the jacket with two collars looks ok too! :)

Cig isn't going to fail at everything. They'll hit something good too, especially in the art department since that's where most of their time, money, and effort seems to go.

What makes me mad is trying to make a game look bad at all costs, even if you're being disingeous. Star Citizen has its fair share of problems, there's no need to invent issues or to crap on their half-decent things.

Want a fair comparison ?

Compare single player games to other single player games.
Compare cinematics to other cinematics.
Compare main character to other main characters, secondary characters to other secondary characters, and random generic characters to other random generic characters.

The quality / budget spent on a character is propertional to how important that character is and how close/often the camera will be watching it.

Single player game, cinematic, main character will have the highest budget.
A random generic in-game character in an MMO will have the lowest budget.

So if you take a single-player main character in a cinematic, like Last Of Us 2, and compare it to an in-game character in Star Citizen, of course you're not gonna get the same quality, that's obvious. That'd be true no matter what the game is, not just Star Citizen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

compare a game in a procedurally generated universe where you can land on planets, moons and space stations, engage in thrilling FPS combat both on the ground and inside huge, highly detailed spaceships, trade multiple different types of commodities, become a bounty hunter, criminal, go spelunking in caves or have a drink at the bar with the most high fidelity bartender AI ever devised to games in a procedurally generated universe where you can land on planets, moons and space stations, engage in thrilling FPS combat both on the ground and inside huge, highly detailed spaceships, trade multiple different types of commodities, become a bounty hunter, criminal, go spelunking in caves or have a drink at the bar with the most high fidelity bartender AI ever devised

what you're failing to grasp is that that NPC is one of their showcase NPCs, not a "random NPC".
the actual random NPCs look even worse.

e: not to mention that by CIG's own advertising they are, in fact, competing with those AAA games that are now no longer valid for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
God that 'I have many/zero regrets' post yesterday spawned such a turgid pond of self-unhelp...

quote:

I won't say zero regrets. There are some things I would have done differently if I knew what I know now about the insurance and exchange system. I've got a Pioneer with only 10 year insurance because I couldn't CCU an LTI token into it and a Redeemer with 6 month insurance because I CCU'd my original game package + SQ42 into it. I'll get used to paying insurance on the Redeemer well before the Pioneer becomes a liability, at least.

quote:

Well I have this little dinky plastic card with 2942NOV03 printed on it. Since then i'm in thousands over time. I haven't regretted it once. One day I sat down and though to myself about how fulfilling contributing to Star Citizen development has been for me. I'm tired of games that hype into focus one day, only to disappear or fall into obscurity because of the next big thing showed up. But you know what's been there this whole time, trucking away one failure/problem/30k/patch at a time? Star Citizen.

Worth...every...penny for the pure amount of enjoyment I've received out of this game. Steady on CIG Steady on.
Edit: worth mentioning, if this game were to fall apart tomorrow it would still be worth it from a time spent + enjoyment vs other forms of digital entertainment.

quote:

No. For one simple reason. Before I spend money on ANYTHING, I do research for the positives and negatives. And not pie-in-the-sky, but worst case scenarios, because of this I almost never have buyers remorse. That is because I learned my lesson many years ago after doing an impulse purchase and then realized the only person I should blame at that time was myself. Alot of complaints I see from people totally absolves themselves of the choice they made, when in fact they are the ones who made the choice and there is a metric ton of information and videos for people to judge by.

quote:

I once pre-ordered a AAA title from a known publisher. Had a midnight release for a boxed PC CD game meaning that I couldn't get a refund. It's been 6 years and I still can't play the game because of how broken it was and how it got zero support to get fixed. I paid £50 for the game and it was a big publisher so you'd think it would be finished. I've spent a few hundred on this game and I've got far more fun from it and feel that the hundreds I've spent is worth it.

People try the argument that a publisher forces a studio to release a game, but what good is a game that is still unplayable years after release.

Star citizen has its bugs sure, but I've had memorable moments, unique multiplayer experience, and made friendships. All this from a unfinished "broken" game.

All I have to say is that, if it's done so well in its current state, I can only imagine what it'll be like once it's release ready.

quote:

Absolutely not. If you even for a moment think you shouldn't make the purchase don't.

I have zero regrets simply because I went in with my eyes wide open, with the risks clear to me.

If you are not ok with losing $2500 on a failed project, you should not have bought in.

I've donated $1500, key word donated you aren't buying ships you are receiving ships (and LTI which is more than likely worthless) as a thank you for backing, I backed because I think there is a better than 50% chance this project will see completion and I want to see it done.

If CIG closed its doors tommorow and Chris Roberts were dragged in front of Congress and jailed for a giant ponzi scheme and the game were never finished I would not be mad because I've ACCEPTED the risk.

If you can't accept the risk don't pledge the money.

quote:

Um...yes. $2500 in too. Buy ship. Melt Ship. Upgrade ship. Melt ship. Buyback ship to get LTI, upgrade to new ship. Melt ship again. Rinse and repeat. Promise to stop. Then ship sale shows up and I buy something again. Make me stop. But so glad to be able to do it and support a vision I believe in.

quote:

I do, I backed heavy early on, back when it was the "last time LTI would be sold" (I'm still bitter about that by the way), before the stretch goals morphed from something that were supposed to be added iteratively and not impact the release, to crippling scope creep and excuses for missed deadlines, before CIG scrapped god knows how much money in subcontractor work due to poor oversight, before several cycles of re-doing their own work due to what feels like directionless leadership, before "weeks not months", and "answer the call 2016". If I knew then what I know now I would have never backed at the level I have.

I would have still backed though. The game still has potential to be everything I want in a space sim. I'm still more fulfilled doing commodities shipping in Star Citizen's buggy hellscape than in Elite Dangerous (most of the time). And, honestly I do still occasionally throw some more money in for this or that, although it's rare and with an entirely different perspective.

Interesting just how prevalent the 'I'd be fine if it failed'' tropes are these days though.