Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rolling with Black Mage / Samurai / Zerky! / Knight

Zerky! will become unto a god with a Black Mage'd Rune Axe. Only regret is he can't two-hand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cerebulon posted:

Still having trouble with Archaeoaevis with BLM/MYS/BST. Tip in discord was to release a Ronkan Knight and then an Aegir but I tried that three times and it didn't seem to do a whole lot. Did I just get terrible luck with applying the debuffs?

Would help if the game would stop throwing Ghidra at me on the walk down to the boss, gently caress that thing.

BLM can break Archaeoavis over his knee, especially with /bst to get the harder skills

Aera the first form
Death Claw the second form
1k kneedles the third (you can learn it from BST Controlling the Lamias there in the ruins)
Death Claw the fourth form
L5 Death the last form.

Edit: I just realized you meant Black mage, not blue :v:

Edit 2: Worse comes to worse go capture bears from the desert. Hammer through the first phase normally and once you hit the first breakpoint just bearaga him to death.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 18, 2020

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
how the heck do people without magic beat Omniscient? I had to bring a whm, protect my two people, then berserk him and use sword dance before he murdered me

are wall rings the only other option?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

If you have a Bard there's also !Hide, and if you enjoy gambling with all cards in favor of the house there's Mage Mashers :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You also don't have to do Fork Tower.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Kyrosiris posted:

You also don't have to do Fork Tower.

drat I thought I had to do it for the sub

or wait can you just go straight to the void in world 3 somehow?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Pyrus Malus posted:

drat I thought I had to do it for the sub

or wait can you just go straight to the void in world 3 somehow?

as soon as you get your airship you can go straight to the void. everything else is optional

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
With White Mage, wait for your other characters to get their turns, cast Silence, and if it lands quickly attack with the others. Silence wears off quickly, but should last long enough to get a round of attacks off if you're ready.

Alternatively, set up Blink, Zerk Omni, then spam Blink and Phoenix Downs like mad while you bring him down.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Keep in mind that if you go the Mage Masher route, you'll probably have to bounce it off yourself as ol ruggie will likely reflect himself.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Hi, long-time-first-time, can someone better explain this part of the Advance Run rules? "In this mode the twenty regular jobs are shifted to be distributed in your Wind, Water and Fire slots. So you may get a job earlier!"

I tweeted #water and got a Fire job.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

JibberJabberwocky posted:

4zerk run just got past sandworm. Took about 20 tries at level 45. Was going to give up and go back and grind to 50 on mini dragons when I got a lucky one in. I immediately went out saved tented then went back to the library and healed at the pot, then saved in a second slot, then copied my save as a backup, before continuing.

I've done this before, so I feel it's all downhill from here. I might even grind enough to try to get Shinryu. I don't think Omega is doable but I bet you can brute force Shin. I also haven't run away yet so I can go for the 0 power chicken knife.

Bregor posted:

DIE FUCKER :black101:

YESSSSSSSSSS

My best advice - get everyone to Level 97. You don't want L2Old or L3Flare to ruin your day. Other than that it's just luck, but definitely doable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jetfire posted:

Hi, long-time-first-time, can someone better explain this part of the Advance Run rules? "In this mode the twenty regular jobs are shifted to be distributed in your Wind, Water and Fire slots. So you may get a job earlier!"

I tweeted #water and got a Fire job.
A couple of water jobs are shifted to wind and a couple of fire jobs are shifted to water, so that Earth is only the three non-Necromancer Advance jobs. I don't have the exact list.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

A couple of water jobs are shifted to wind and a couple of fire jobs are shifted to water, so that Earth is only the three non-Necromancer Advance jobs. I don't have the exact list.

Ah, gotcha. Time to spam Aero a little longer then!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The problem I have with advance is that you don't get those advance jobs until nearly the end of the game. It 1) Limits the amount of cross class Synergy you have for Galuf's world and 2) By the time you get it, you are probably already set up enough to go gank NED regardless (or Shin/Omega if you pulled a gross combo like blu/tim/chm for your first three)

Edit: ^^^^^^ For what it's worth, BLU is probably the easiest wind crystal job, they have an answer for most of the problem bosses.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Time for run number three!

First one I got a double crown with White/Zerky/Geomancer/Dancer. It was mostly just the Sword Dance show :v:

Second run I got a triple crown with...probably the most busted party I'm ever gonna have. Everything from the Earth crystal on was nearly impossible to lose aside from my low as hell damage until I got Syldra.

White Mage/Blue Mage/Summoner/Bard

I ended the game and ended up triple crowning at level 27. Fun fact, literally anything NED could do would oneshot me :v: Buuuuut with 99 speed, Haste, and Hero's Rime and the Magic Paean all going to get me to absurd levels everyone could just crank out 12 Syldras before any part of it got a turn (and I just Magic Hammered Treedeath until he couldn't do anything but hit Golem with physicals)

New run time!

I went with Random for something different (I was hoping for a Monk or Knight!) and Forbidden to lose a job when I enter the void:

Thief/Mystic Knight/Monk/Ninja

Garula is gonna loving blow and I really hope I lose the Thief come void :shepicide:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Why would you hope to lose Thief and not Monk?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DeathSandwich posted:

The problem I have with advance is that you don't get those advance jobs until nearly the end of the game. It 1) Limits the amount of cross class Synergy you have for Galuf's world and 2) By the time you get it, you are probably already set up enough to go gank NED regardless (or Shin/Omega if you pulled a gross combo like blu/tim/chm for your first three)

Edit: ^^^^^^ For what it's worth, BLU is probably the easiest wind crystal job, they have an answer for most of the problem bosses.

Yeah, I did not realize this when I started up last night. It's not just the advance jobs, it moves some of the later jobs to the earlier crystals, so you can get a job that doesn't actually get unlocked when you get to the crystal. There is a fiesta patch in the OP that unlocks all the jobs at the start of the game so that won't be an issue -- I lost about a half hour of progress, but I've got it installed now and gonna start the game again after work.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why non-Necromancer? That was one of the ones I wanted to play with, ended up getting Cannoneer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Why non-Necromancer? That was one of the ones I wanted to play with, ended up getting Cannoneer.

Because Necromancer isn't available until you complete the post-game dungeon, unlike Oracle/Glad/Cannoneer which are available after completing the four tablet dungeons and going to the Void.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Adding Necromancer would be basically requiring people to use hacks to get it early, as it's normally a reward for beating the postgame. Not everyone plays with fiesta mod or cheat codes to unlock all jobs.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Advance jobs seem like they'd be fun, but the thread has warned me to stay away from the Sealed Temple if I like fun.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Alxprit posted:

Adding Necromancer would be basically requiring people to use hacks to get it early, as it's normally a reward for beating the postgame. Not everyone plays with fiesta mod or cheat codes to unlock all jobs.

I honestly wish there was an Advance Hack option that just adds Necromancer (and maybe Mime?) to the Earth pool, I can't even imagine not using hacks to unlock the Advance Jobs or Mime earlier.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The Advance jobs seem like they'd be fun, but the thread has warned me to stay away from the Sealed Temple if I like fun.

You don't need to do the Sealed Temple to get Cannoneer, Gladiator, and Oracle; just get the four Tablets and head to the entrance of Sealed Temple and they're sitting there to be picked up, no actual dungeoneering needed.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Holy poo poo, why won't these fans drop any goddamn dark bows? I've already gained 4 levels in the ruins, snagged a tiara in case I need it, and grabbed like half a dozen elixirs off the very same fans.

Update: Apparently the game knew what it was doing, because my earth job ended up being Blue Mage, and I would have had to grind up to 25 anyway to grab Level 5 Death before leaving world 1.

Also, the tried and true strategy of "complain on the internet" worked like a charm; I got a bow drop within something like ten encounters after making that post.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh having a hard time mustering the motivation to finish my incredibly easy and boring run. Is #loser or whatever still a thing? I'd really like to get a not-hideously-op party at some point.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Yeah World 3 was way easier than anything else but also what the heck was I thinking figuring I'd do a triple crown? Shinryu was round one TPKing at level 50 and Omega wasn't far off. Either way I'm just glad I got through it.

edit: what's a winner run?

Pyrus Malus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 18, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pyrus Malus posted:

Yeah World 3 was way easier than anything else but also what the heck was I thinking figuring I'd do a triple crown? Shinryu was round one TPKing at level 50 and Omega wasn't far off. Either way I'm just glad I got through it.

edit: what's a winner run?

Bard can stoplock Omega with Romeo's Ballad. You can also use your white mage to berserk Shinryu and then spam Image so you never take hits, while your bard attacks with Apollo's Harp for massive damage.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS, AGAIN :black101:

I concur

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Since starting, this is the third year I've had where I'm gonna be relying on flame ring healing to power through.

Thank you for your service fast forward button, cursor memory, and wild nakks. I was level 8 before I started The Grind.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

2020 1st run donezo

Kyrosiris posted:

2 roks are cool

Freelancer was a joy, being about to equip anything was fun and silly.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Run #2, Geomancer/Red Mage/Dragoon/Dancer

I!

RAN!

THE NUMBERS!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Triple crown baybeeeeeee

Bare-Handed !Dance got me through most of the game; Chicken Knife !Dance got me through the rest of it. Dancer is busted

Ended up having to cheese Omega with the Quick > Poison Rod exploit. Whatever works, right?

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Ugh having a hard time mustering the motivation to finish my incredibly easy and boring run. Is #loser or whatever still a thing? I'd really like to get a not-hideously-op party at some point.

Isn't that the weirdest thing? You just want to be tested, not easy street city.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Isn't that the weirdest thing? You just want to be tested, not easy street city.

I could of let you run my original run before I Job Faired - Monk/rdm/geo/drg

There's a reason I bought my way out of that one.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Considering Dorgann's brief career in basically the Space Police I guess it makes sense he'd be disillusioned about the cops

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

First of the season, also got Shinryu but my picture for that is just getting Ragnarok.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2020

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Haven't really had much trouble getting through my first playthrough ever.

I think I lucked out with Monk/Time Mage/Bard/Dragoon.

Would it be advisable to go for a triple crown with this team? I wouldn't mind a challenge, even if it means a bit of grinding.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Irsh posted:

Would it be advisable to go for a triple crown with this team? I wouldn't mind a challenge, even if it means a bit of grinding.

Time Mage can in fact take advantage of a bug to cheese both fights, but if you want to do it legitimately it's mostly going to be a matter of slowly grinding down omega with meteors while your other three stunlock it with bardsongs.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Irsh posted:

you have a free triple crown with time mage with quick!leaking (referring to the spell, not the time it takes to actually win this way). you can also berserk shinryu with the wonder rod and try to keep up by healing.

bard can also lock omega with romeo's ballad and l think dragoon has a lightning weapon you jump with? and then there's beating shinryu using zombie characters and hideX

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ah, Barrier tower, AKA "do I NEED any reflect rings or am I just going after them out of habit?"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For those who would like a more concise of explanation of what Quick Leaking is, consult the following video footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7zRK-Fsv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Run #2 - My son is also named Bortz (Monk, Ninja, Time Mage, Summoner)

Monk with 30% HP was just enough to live to Almagest since I couldn't burn NED down fast enough. Its as easy as was expected with Time Mage, Ninja, and Summoner. Dont really feel like quick leaking Shinryu & Omega, so gonna pass on the triple crown.