Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Petition for the government to make alan sugar dead so we can take covid seriously please.
Signed and shared.

110 is 6 in binary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

stev posted:

This somehow made me angrier than everything the cabinet has said this week.

Utterly vile oval office.

It makes me most angry because he pretends - or used to pretend - to be a leftist and a labour supporter.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jippa posted:

I can't take anyone seriously who is called "tucker". What sort of name is that?
I get it, but he's legit the most terrifying of the bunch. he's even less veiled in his racism than most of them, and he has a national prime-time tv show where pretty much every night he monologues a two-minute hate about how (((thugs)) are taking over america and white people are a threatened minority. He's basically Katie Hopkins, if she was one of the two or three most popular and powerful broadcasters in the country.

There was a road rage case last year where a black guy stabbed a white guy to death, and ultimately the jury acquitted him because they found he acted in self-defense. Tucker opened his segment on it by straight up calling the acquitted guy a murderer and nudge-nudge-wink-winking about what a shame it is that no-one would DO SOMETHING about it while flashing pictures of him on the screen, not even kidding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfI4m9BQbN8

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

It isn't, but it's clear who the blame rests with.

You can just admit you were wrong.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
If anyone's worried about a coming recession, fear not! there's a new part to "get out and shop"

BBC: Why a recession can be a good time to start a business posted:

[...] many of the best, and longest-lasting, companies are set up during downturns, according to Dane Strangler, a fellow at the Bipartisan Policy Centre, in Washington DC. He says that the difficult economic backdrop makes them both tougher and more nimble for years to come. "There's this trial by fire idea," he says. "If you get started in a recession, you really have to scrape and scrimp to make that company successful. "You are trying to make it when you can't get financing, and trying to get customers when there isn't any demand."
For anyone thinking of now setting up their own business, Markus Berger de Leon, a partner at management consultancy McKinsey, says think long and hard before you make the plunge. But if you do jump, then move quickly.

"You really need to think, 'should I spend my next pound or euro on this, or something else?'," he says.

"And that makes you need to embrace and scale one skill that is core to your company. And think about doing that with as little money, as fast as possible. The start-ups that survive a recession are the ones that learn the fastest."
simply get out and start a business! also make sure it survives. we won't tell you how, the market will. good luck

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Guavanaut posted:

He didn't do those things just out of mustache twirling evil though, he did them because English Royalists set up there to plot against him. Then after they lost a bunch of the wealthier ones ran off to Virginia and the Carolinas, where they would famously try to repeat the same thing again 200 years later but with more racism and again provoke mass suffering, massacres, death camps, and the burning of whole towns, which they blamed on other people.

Would he have done the same thing without them? Maybe, he was a massive dick in many areas, and a Catholic nation just across the sea from him would have doubtless pissed him off. But Cavalier psychopaths and their descendants have a centuries long tradition of demanding special privileges, poking people in the eye, and then blaming the other party for the mass destruction that follows, and we don't talk about that enough in our history.

Some of the others went off to hide in Europe with Charles II, and yes, England made a grave misstep in Restoration, which you could probably make a case for blaming on Cromwell's inability (for personal or practical reasons) to cement a proper power structure that wasn't, as feedmegin said, a monarchy with the serial numbers filed off.

A statue of Charles I's head on a stick would be a more fitting monument though, or maybe one of his executioner holding the head, perhaps with the inscription "Some hats are best removed at the neck." as an historical lesson for the future.

This is some revisionist bullshit. If it was just about stopping an English Royalist plot why did he take the actions he did against Irish Catholics post war.

Lands confiscated, sometimes if they were lucky they’d be compensated but with much worse land in Connaught. Others sold to indentured servitude in Barbados. All Catholics barred from politics, barred from practicing religion. Mass rocks are still common around the country, stone alters in secluded areas where Irish practiced their faith in secret because public worship could get them executed.

Cromwell was probably second only to the Great Famine in the damage they caused to Irish people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Come the gently caress on "Dane Strangler" is not a US policy wonk it's a profession in the 10th century.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

Come the gently caress on "Dane Strangler" is not a US policy wonk it's a profession in the 10th century.
lmao i didn't even spot the name, that's incredible

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Marenghi posted:

This is some revisionist bullshit. If it was just about stopping an English Royalist plot why did he take the actions he did against Irish Catholics post war.

Lands confiscated, sometimes if they were lucky they’d be compensated but with much worse land in Connaught. Others sold to indentured servitude in Barbados. All Catholics barred from politics, barred from practicing religion. Mass rocks are still common around the country, stone alters in secluded areas where Irish practiced their faith in secret because public worship could get them executed.

Cromwell was probably second only to the Great Famine in the damage they caused to Irish people.
Probably mainly because he was a dick and because of beliefs that the Pope was on the side of the Royalists, also because there's a huge :can: regarding anti-Catholicism and anti-Clericalism in that era.

But across the centuries the English monarchy did more damage to the island of Ireland, including the attempted complete erasure of the language, turning a blind eye to mass starvation, and thinking it'd be a cool idea to put the most insane English and Scottish Protestants possible in Ulster to 'pacify the region'. I'm not saying his actions there are defensible, just that the royals were worse and I'm not even sure he'd be there in the first place if it weren't for English Royalists using it as a foothold. Maybe he would have, just to be a dick.

The history of Ireland is pretty much "and then the English decided to gently caress things up" though, and Royalists have to take their share of blame in that one.

OwlFancier posted:

:golfclap:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

feedmegin posted:

He started a new job at Manchester Uni just before the covids. So yeah its basically Owen Jones and that's it now.

Aditya Chakrabortty is also pretty good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps they were having a recession in the 10th century and someone saw a business opportunity?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

South Korea is not relying on the Apple-Google model - it has avoided the app model entirely in favour of much more invasive contact tracing - under Korean law contact tracers can demand everything from CCTVs, mobile phone location signal data (not bluetooth - tower geolocation), credit card reports, and public transit records

Singapore has also rejected it in favour of its own entirely centralised apps

Both require every visitor or customer to record identities and times, and both are applying smart surveillance technology such as continuous analytics of CCTV imagery to compile movements quickly

Compared to these "hard" surveillance measures, the benefit of app contact tracing dubious: nobody has yet identified a good solution to the problem of bluetooth just an awful battery drain and not sufficient people both possessing smartphones and being obediently compliant. So apps were ineffective and the Apple-Google decentralised app model even more so

One systematic feature of the UK coronavirus response has been assuming that such measures are impossible in the UK without even trying, so it's not shocking that the UK has abandoned it (nor that it has quietly abandoned the loosen-lockdown-for-better-tracing bargain that it was pledging just a short while ago)

I know you deleted it, but the fact people have the choice to share their data with the Google API (I assume the Apple one is the same) is a positive thing - the government doesn't get to track exactly what everyone is doing at all times, you only send that information if you're diagnosed with COVID and you choose to share it.

If anything that seems like it would make it more effective - you'll have better adoption if people have trust in the system, and most people will probably release that data on request otherwise they probably wouldn't bother installing the app. And it means that those who don't want to share it can still install the app, and get notified if someone they were in contact with gets diagnosed and releases their data

This country definitely isn't adverse to putting a cheeky bit of CCTV here and there, the simpler explanation that reflects literally everything so far is still that they don't actually want to do this properly, because taking the pandemic seriously means people not Getting Back To Work. Good contact tracing means people isolating as a precautionary measure... but hey if they don't know they spent 30 minutes in the supermarket behind the Virus King, where's the harm? They'll probably be fine, so long as they continue to Stay Alert and Control the Virus don't let it control you, get it?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

baka kaba posted:

I know you deleted it, but the fact people have the choice to share their data with the Google API (I assume the Apple one is the same) is a positive thing - the government doesn't get to track exactly what everyone is doing at all times, you only send that information if you're diagnosed with COVID and you choose to share it.

If anything that seems like it would make it more effective - you'll have better adoption if people have trust in the system, and most people will probably release that data on request otherwise they probably wouldn't bother installing the app. And it means that those who don't want to share it can still install the app, and get notified if someone they were in contact with gets diagnosed and releases their data

This country definitely isn't adverse to putting a cheeky bit of CCTV here and there, the simpler explanation that reflects literally everything so far is still that they don't actually want to do this properly, because taking the pandemic seriously means people not Getting Back To Work. Good contact tracing means people isolating as a precautionary measure... but hey if they don't know they spent 30 minutes in the supermarket behind the Virus King, where's the harm? They'll probably be fine, so long as they continue to Stay Alert and Control the Virus don't let it control you, get it?

I posted it here -

ronya posted:

the Apple/Google infra critically doesn't allow the govt to identify who has been in contact - it notifies the user who can then voluntarily notify public health authorities (when one has no real reason to do so - one can voluntarily self-isolate, and if one isn't intending to do so, then why report it). When added to low takeup levels, achieving 60% coverage is implausible

not using the infra would allow for automatic notification but runs facefirst into the battery life problem

But yes, in some cultural contexts this would cross too many privacy norm lines. The notable aspect is that this government - not normally thought to shy away from testing the limits - is refusing to even raise the question. Resistance to surveillance is not a notably dry Tory value...

The speculation that increased privacy commitments would improve takeup was much suggested in Australia and it seems to be wholly false. Rather, large numbers of people just look to other thought leaders to justify apathy and casual conspiracism

It's still the case, I think, that voluntary notification reduces the takeup rate too far - one can argue that it's worth it in some privacy-preserving sense, of course. But it seems obvious that it does have a reducing effect and idea of some kind of Privacy Laffer Curve here seems implausible.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Probably mainly because he was a dick and because of beliefs that the Pope was on the side of the Royalists, also because there's a huge :can: regarding anti-Catholicism and anti-Clericalism in that era.

But across the centuries the English monarchy did more damage to the island of Ireland, including the attempted complete erasure of the language, turning a blind eye to mass starvation, and thinking it'd be a cool idea to put the most insane English and Scottish Protestants possible in Ulster to 'pacify the region'. I'm not saying his actions there are defensible, just that the royals were worse and I'm not even sure he'd be there in the first place if it weren't for English Royalists using it as a foothold. Maybe he would have, just to be a dick.

The history of Ireland is pretty much "and then the English decided to gently caress things up" though, and Royalists have to take their share of blame in that one.

Again, you can just admit you were wrong rather than digging a deeper hole and moving the goalposts.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Also, being a genocidal racist is just being a dick now?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
My Irish history teacher in secondary school had some pretty strong opinions on Cromwell and the ban on Christmas was the least of them let me tell you.

So lol that this thread has someone defending him.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
You have to respect being that consistently atheistic in that old anticlerical sense though

defending the honour of Cromwell as a proxy for defending the Jacobin ethic a century later

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 18, 2020

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

The Deleter posted:

So lol that this thread has someone defending him.

Finally the UKMT found an opinion stupid enough to make me post again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1273641254602051586?s=20

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In other, more heartwarming news Chuck Tingle continues to be amazing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Don't defend Cromwell, he was a bag of shite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if he ever wins a hugo whether he will just add it to the number of times he was a finalist.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

I posted it here -

my mistake :tipshat:

ronya posted:

But yes, in some cultural contexts this would cross too many privacy norm lines. The notable aspect is that this government - not normally thought to shy away from testing the limits - is refusing to even raise the question. Resistance to surveillance is not a notably dry Tory value...

The speculation that increased privacy commitments would improve takeup was much suggested in Australia and it seems to be wholly false. Rather, large numbers of people just look to other thought leaders to justify apathy and casual conspiracism

It's still the case, I think, that voluntary notification reduces the takeup rate too far - one can argue that it's worth it in some privacy-preserving sense, of course. But it seems obvious that it does have a reducing effect and idea of some kind of Privacy Laffer Curve here seems implausible.

Like I said, it's not weird that the goverment isn't raising the question of surveillance if you assume this is mostly theatre anyway. Surveillance is big and scary, that's like a serious government taking a serious problem seriously. Instead we have "just be careful" and you might get a nice british phone call. There might even be an app, the cherry on top, the millennials will enjoy that! The tone it sets is very different

If we're being charitable and assuming the app was actually a good-faith effort and not a way to waste time and divert some public money to connected people, well there's your surveillance - the government planning to put a government tracking system on people's phones, when an off-the-shelf version was already in place (integrated with the phones' software in fact) which did everything they needed but with privacy measures outside of their control

It'd be interesting to see data on whether making "send data" voluntary actually reduces takeup - really you're talking opt-in at the point where you have the virus and maybe want to help others (or spite them by pressing the quarantine button) versus opt-in at the point of installing the app. I'd argue it's easier to convince people to do something once they're already involved, where you can bring them in with benefits and no commitments, instead of requiring them to be all-in from the outset. I mean... that's how marketing works innit

I doubt I'd be installing the App Mancock app tbh!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

You have to respect being that consistently atheistic in that old anticlerical sense though

defending the honour of Cromwell as a proxy for defending the Jacobin ethic a century later
There was a whole thing during the Restoration to blame him, in person, for everything bad that happened during the War of the Three Kingdoms and the Interregnum, and "boy I'm glad we got all that over with, kings4ever", while at the same time still oppressing the everloving poo poo out of Ireland.

I'm not defending him, because his actions in Ireland aren't defensible (unless you go full "by the standards of warfare at the time" route, in which case it's odd that Ireland gets worse standards, because part of the reason for Charles I's execution was his horrific sieges), I'm saying that this sort of poo poo and worse carried on under far more English monarchs.

Like, remove his statue and replace it with one of Charles I's execution to serve as an equal reminder of 'Royalists started this' and 'we can do this poo poo again' without glorifying Cromwell, but also take down King Billy and the other assholes too.

It's sad that we could have had a Republic but we hosed it up so bad that everyone loves the monarchy now, and Cavaliers get romanticized as the good guys despite, like, the Rape of Leicester and starting the transatlantic slave trade.

Also Jacobins and Spanish anarchists did nothing wrong etc. etc.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I donated blood yesterday. At the moment they are interested in people who have had coronavirus (either confirmed or had the symptoms) and you can donate your plasma

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/how-you-can-help/convalescent-plasma-clinical-trial/

Unfortunately my veins weren't thick enough to donate plasma, but I got to donate blood. I also registered on the bone marrow register - last time I asked I didn't pass the test as they had to put a needle into your hip bone to extract that delicious blood juice, but they've changed it now so you get injected with stuff that encourages your stem cells into overdrive and they suck it out a few days later.

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/british-bone-marrow-registry/

It's a good cause, especially with bone marrow, so if you have the time go and give some blood.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mebh posted:

really hoping this is extremely quotable

Simsandwich
Feb 15, 2007

baka kaba posted:

You think maybe the "statues" thing is bringing in a lot of randos who are looking for an excuse to shout and kick off? With all the lockdown/distancing stuff, and now ARE STATUES, I wonder if a lot of people are just showing up because they're angry about something and bulking up the numbers

Which still isn't good, especially if they're hanging around with fash, but it would be better than the far right being more capable of organising than before. I know you probably didn't get chance to observe the nuances of the racists screaming at you, but did you manage to get a sense of what their makeup was?

Thanks for being there though, and of course the police will defend a statue in London but not actual people

Glasgow has seen a big rise in loyalist organising through an org called Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination off the back of a variety of public campaigns to stop Orange Walks in the city. This encompassed orange lodges, football casuals and the far right with a lot of intersection between the three. Its obviously a well developed communications network that was able to to outnumber us on the day.

From what I could see from the front the crowd skews younger than what traditional fash like the Scottish Defence League (who have rebranded themselves as the National Defence League) would be able to assemble at relatively short notice. Numbers were also larger than anything I've seen outside of a proper Walk as well.

Glasgow has a long tradition of antifascist organising but lacks the network that SPAD does. They'll be feeling emboldened by yesterday and i wouldn't hesitate to say that any political action in the city will be a major target for them going forward.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

really hoping this is extremely quotable
I'm hoping the main antagonists are a children's author and a washed up TV show writer.

e: "Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination" so the support not having sectarian banners then? :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mebh posted:

Well, that's just solved the question of what to get my friend for her birthday next month

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Momentum chat: the elections are on and I'd like to solicit advice before I do anything irrevocable. I know next to nothing about any of them, and the 'questions to candidates' didn't reveal anything significant.

I generally believe in slate voting (and the last NEC elections have only strengthened this view). Forward Momentum seem more keen on internal democracy than Momentum Renewal (described as the 'continuity' campaign) so I am tempted to go for them. They are supported by McDonnell, which seems good even though he was less radical as Shadow Chancellor than I hoped.

But I notice that Jennifer Forbes is on their SW slate and I think Spangly had serious reservations about her.

Does anyone have views?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Momentum chat: the elections are on and I'd like to solicit advice before I do anything irrevocable. I know next to nothing about any of them, and the 'questions to candidates' didn't reveal anything significant.

I generally believe in slate voting (and the last NEC elections have only strengthened this view). Forward Momentum seem more keen on internal democracy than Momentum Renewal (described as the 'continuity' campaign) so I am tempted to go for them. They are supported by McDonnell, which seems good even though he was less radical as Shadow Chancellor than I hoped.

But I notice that Jennifer Forbes is on their SW slate and I think Spangly had serious reservations about her.

Does anyone have views?

I did phonebanking for Forward Momentum. They have great, important ideas, and Oldmentum was too institutionally incompetent for me to go for the continuity slate of Momentum Renewal. I can't believe they'll give local branches the support they need because I was requesting it without success for two whole years after our branch collapsed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

For those people heavily invested in my partner's lovely boss and the time-travelling holidays: Good news! She sent the sternly-worded email yesterday evening and around lunchtime today got a reply from her boss in a tone I'd describe as business grovelling apologising for the misunderstanding and asking her to instead take eight days of holiday a couple of weeks from now, with uncharacteristically extensive quotes from company policy that implied he'd received a very serious talking-to from HR and/or the general manager for his cavalier loving about.

Partner is absolutely delighted to have got her holiday back but even more happy to have got one over on the lovely gaslighting boss. Cheers for your advice all :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's some pleasant news at least :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

For those people heavily invested in my partner's lovely boss and the time-travelling holidays: Good news! She sent the sternly-worded email yesterday evening and around lunchtime today got a reply from her boss in a tone I'd describe as business grovelling apologising for the misunderstanding and asking her to instead take eight days of holiday a couple of weeks from now, with uncharacteristically extensive quotes from company policy that implied he'd received a very serious talking-to from HR and/or the general manager for his cavalier loving about.

Partner is absolutely delighted to have got her holiday back but even more happy to have got one over on the lovely gaslighting boss. Cheers for your advice all :)
:toot:

Good news there.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oh dear me posted:

Does anyone have views?

Jennifer Forbes completely blew up her own campaign. Her and the paid campaigner were terrible and she's an awful person. I was living in a guest house provided by friends she's known for about a decade who could only repeatedly apologise, not themselves knowing what the gently caress was happening. She blew most of the budget on posters with her face because she didn't like the generic designs head office had come up with, we were told to pull rallies out of our arses with no budget, and we loving did. She was so pissed she banned us from organising anything but doorknocking under the labour banner (which wasn't a valid threat to me or my partner really, but we couldn't run poo poo ourselves). After we told her that we'd been given dozens of final warnings that there was going to be no more constant doorknocking run by a freshly graduated idiot who didn't ever list contact details, locations or show up herself, she flipped the gently caress out in the middle of a pub and stormed off shouting that we'd all betrayed her. I'm pretty certain we were filmed

I think most of the CLP organising committee voted lib dim. I would've. I've never seen a single person so responsible for such widespread burnout, and I was regularily being told "yeah this is someone who's been organising for decades but gently caress em". Now admittedly, the position I was in meant that I was actually reading and responding to the burnout emails so maybe this is normal but hoooooooly gently caress she's toxic.

FM's campaign has involved throwing a lot of bullshit at their opponents. Other than "they're maybe liars" and "they want Jen Forbes, who must never be allowed to run for MP again" I can't help.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the reason Labour didn't get completely wiped of T&F out is the student organisers in Falmouth completely ignored her ridiculous demands while flattering her enough to get her to stay away, which was lol

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Even putting his crimes in Ireland aside (and we really shouldn't do that), it's weird that Cromwell is lionised here because he was also terrible for Britain. He was a brutal military dictator who was every bit as bad as any king, and even handed power to his son when he died. He was so terrible that they actually brought the monarchy back when he copped it. If he hadn't been so poo poo we'd probably be a republic now.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kinda love how the government is at this point a series of serial grifters and charlatans being led by the worlds most melted candle somehow trying to convince the British public that we really need two royal yachts that MPs can use because you can’t trust hotel rooms not to be full of cameras these days while you’re hosting your Thai sex worker empowerment event. Good grief.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Even putting his crimes in Ireland aside (and we really shouldn't do that), it's weird that Cromwell is lionised here because he was also terrible for Britain. He was a brutal military dictator who was every bit as bad as any king, and even handed power to his son when he died. He was so terrible that they actually brought the monarchy back when he copped it. If he hadn't been so poo poo we'd probably be a republic now.

Also worth noting he ossentisbly started the civil war because the king was essentially doing personal rule via ruling by rump parliament against the “law” (the magna carta, lol) and then after he won found he was so unpopular he also had to run a rump Parliament before dissolving Parliament completely and taking direct control. Truly a great man to restore democracy so well!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TACD posted:

Great justice has been achieved!