Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Actually I just realized Alex Jacobson and Edward Snowden does make sense

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Linguica posted:

Anyways: JC Denton:

* Decided to become a sort of pseudo-Troop and help protect American financial interests

Pretty sure MJ12 had JC's life planned out for him so he didn't really "choose" to join UNATCO

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

May as well post both DFDE I've seen lately

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Kamala Harris is a cop = Anna Navarre, dumbshit OP of that list isn't even trying :cmon:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You've got 10 seconds to delete this before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cool JC Tenton reference.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This remains the greatest Deus Ex intro version ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNUNx319UCM

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1275020756527845377?s=20

Cool interview!
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/22/deus-ex-at-20-the-oral-history-of-a-pivotal-pc-game/

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
William Barr is Walton Simons.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That was a real good read, thank you.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I love the fact that Deus Ex development started with John Romero pulling up to Warren Spector in a yellow Humvee and going "you and your crew work for me now".

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oh, today's the day! Happy birthday! :toot:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

They really should have brought back one of the OG RPS Four to do this, considering RPS would quite likely not even exist if it weren't for Thief and Deus Ex. :colbert:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
That was an awesome read. Every year I grow a bit fonder of DX. :allears:

I also appreciate Sheldon Pacotti admitting this: "I cringe at a lot of the faux-urban characters, the pimp stereotypes and Chinese gangsters. That’s a thing you could never do now and should not have been done even then." An unfortunate trend in the series, too. Human Revolution has a straight up minstrel show character in it. Luckily they seemed to figure their poo poo out by Mankind Divided.

Also, neat article from last year on Liberty Island: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-story-behind-liberty-island-deus-exs-most-iconic-level/

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 22, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Human Revolution has a straight up minstrel show character in it

?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He09JaBVZdE

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lollin at the SA mention from John Romero. Great article.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jesus christ I'd completely forgotten about this character. How the gently caress did this get made as recently as it did? I remember thinking "wow this is a weird fuckin character" even when I played it the first time.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

:negative:

Glagha posted:

Jesus christ I'd completely forgotten about this character. How the gently caress did this get made as recently as it did? I remember thinking "wow this is a weird fuckin character" even when I played it the first time.

It's a Deus Ex tradition. :suicide:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 22, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glagha posted:

French Canadians.

They at least didn't pretend it was fine, there's a developer commentary node there if you play with that on and it's just "oh man what the gently caress were we thinking here, sorry about literally all of this".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I'm pretty sure the first time I saw this character I just sat there, mouth agape, unable to comprehend that this is actually something they put in the game. I'm still not sure I can believe it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Grand Fromage posted:

French Canadians.

They at least didn't pretend it was fine, there's a developer commentary node there if you play with that on and it's just "oh man what the gently caress were we thinking here, sorry about literally all of this".

The developer commentary is hilarious and sad because it's mostly just them apologizing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

French Canadians.

Yeah, RIP.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You’d think that if they had time to put a commentary node there they would have time to cut the content.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Samopsa posted:

I love the fact that Deus Ex development started with John Romero pulling up to Warren Spector in a yellow Humvee and going "you and your crew work for me now".

John Romero is always John Romero.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
IIRC the Director's Cut axed that character.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i've never played deus ex. just bought it for like $1 on steam and was curious which mod to go with. i looked in the first and second posts but i feel like those mods listed might be old at this point.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

abelwingnut posted:

so i've never played deus ex. just bought it for like $1 on steam and was curious which mod to go with. i looked in the first and second posts but i feel like those mods listed might be old at this point.

You don’t need mods to enjoy the game on your first play IMO. They just add content that you’ll appreciate more on a replay

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think Biomod eliminates some annoyances and "trap options" that could make it good for a first-timer, but yeah, none of us are here twenty loving years later because the game is bad without mods.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Biomod is wonderful, yeah, but your first playthrough should indeed be vanilla so you can appreciate the changes that the mods make later on. That being said, what's the launcher replacer that makes the game run and look better? That should definitely be used because the game has some weird issues on certain hardware, plus you can make it actually fit modern resolutions properly.

e: Deus Ex Fixer! It's already in the OP, even clearly stating that you should use it no matter what :v:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks for the info.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The only "trap" I can think of that would be nice to know as a new player is the Run Silent augmentation (the Speed Enhancement is strictly better because you're always silent when crouching, so you can just crouch fast)

Everything else is at least a little bit interesting in some way and nothing's gonna break a playthrough

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

abelwingnut posted:

I truly envy you

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

abelwingnut posted:

thanks for the info.

Have fun and just do what you want. This is a rare game where you can do just about anything you want and the game won’t punish you for your choices

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Keith Atherton posted:

You don’t need mods to enjoy the game on your first play IMO. They just add content that you’ll appreciate more on a replay
As a Deus Ex tragic just offering the opposing imo on this. Biomod is essential and unbreaks major parts of the game making augs more fun while not taking anything at all from the original experience. I don't see the point in stunting your first experience just so the second one can be more appreciated.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

feelix posted:

The only "trap" I can think of that would be nice to know as a new player is the Run Silent augmentation (the Speed Enhancement is strictly better because you're always silent when crouching, so you can just crouch fast)

Everything else is at least a little bit interesting in some way and nothing's gonna break a playthrough

Any aug with specialized vs general use the general is way better:

Speed enhancement > silentrun
Strength aug > melee aug
Regen > Shield
See through walls > scanner mode

The speed one is by far the most slanted of the choices not only Because it moots the other option (speed 4 you crouchrun silent as fast as nonspeed) But also because you get it so early, I think you can have speed 4 by Hong Kong.

However, the Good thing is that even ”wrong” augs can be and will be useful aside from maybe the combat scanner.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Valtonen posted:

Any aug with specialized vs general use the general is way better:

Speed enhancement > silentrun
Strength aug > melee aug
Regen > Shield
See through walls > scanner mode

The speed one is by far the most slanted of the choices not only Because it moots the other option (speed 4 you crouchrun silent as fast as nonspeed) But also because you get it so early, I think you can have speed 4 by Hong Kong.

However, the Good thing is that even ”wrong” augs can be and will be useful aside from maybe the combat scanner.

Is the shield the one that blows up explosives, and the level 1 version sets them all off while you’re inside the splash radius? I remember that not only not helping, but actively hurting since it made shots that would otherwise miss explode and kill you.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Thats the active defense system. One of the last augs you can get, Its like f11 or So? Dont think I ever used it.

Shield is the regen alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Valtonen posted:

The speed one is by far the most slanted of the choices

Not regen, which makes you functionally invincible? Especially if you're not playing on Realistic, which most first time players won't be.