Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The Vega iGPU on Renoir seems to max out at 2.4Ghz it seems

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-pro-4750g-4650g-and-4350g-apus-spotted-in-3dmark-database

The scores seem to kind of indicate that 8CU Renoir Vega cores @ 2.4Ghz ~11CU Picasso Vega cores @ 1.8Ghz, so the newer Vega doesn't seem to have some huge leap in per ALU performance at all. Could be AMD is designing around what is even achievable with DDR4 at the moment, I mean DG1 isn't exactly doing fantastic either, barely ahead of the Vega cores on the 4800U and that's supposedly the dedicated card.

This does kind of make me excited for RDNA2 though, Vega and Navi clock very similarly so a 2.4 or 2.5Ghz RDNA2 is within the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

isnt the performance of the iGPU on those largely bottlenecked by the ram speed

i remember filing away somewhere in my mind to basically start paying attention to those iGPUs when ddr5 came out

E: ah, just caught your ddr4 comment. yeah, the RAM is a huge bottleneck there iirc

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Howre the drivers on these apus? I'd like to make an itx game box to take around someday

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChazTurbo posted:

Howre the drivers on these apus? I'd like to make an itx game box to take around someday

With desktop chips they use the standard Radeon GPU driver package. (Afaik most of the laptops do too, but you never know if a vendor is gonna do something weird.)

Statutory Ape posted:

i remember filing away somewhere in my mind to basically start paying attention to those iGPUs when ddr5 came out

start paying attention when RDNA-based ryzens come out because that's a design that uses memory bandwidth more efficiently

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ChazTurbo posted:

I think AMD is largely competitive on the driver front and is only going to become more so. I say this as an observer more than anything. AMD is gaining a shitload of traction now in laptops etc too which I would think should only enhance that part of the software dev team

e:

Klyith posted:

start paying attention when RDNA-based ryzens come out because that's a design that uses memory bandwidth more efficiently

cool! good to know

im in the same boat of wanting to make a tiny itx gamebox based on one of these some day. at least to try it. could be the type of thing to trial somebody into PC gaming

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 17, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Sounds like AMD is forking the naming for its AM4 bios packages. 300/400 series boards get AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS firmware while 500 series will get AGESA 1.0.0.2 V2. Is it fair to assume that only the V2s will support Zen 3 and so 400 series will eventually get V2s as well?

I don't like that naming at all. What was wrong with 2.0.0.2, AMD? Putting the most significant part of the name in a (new!) suffix is weird.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 17, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
AGESA numbering never made sense to begin with so it's alright :v:

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Foolish question: Is the speestep/downclocking on Zen2 consistent? I searched this on an alien based image board, and all of the replies are worthless (just push it 4 ghz without raising VRMs brrrr) and came up empty.

I like that my CPU is down to 1ghz when i browse the web - keeps my room from getting too hot. Is AMD pushing the same downclocking?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

EmpyreanFlux posted:

The scores seem to kind of indicate that 8CU Renoir Vega cores @ 2.4Ghz ~11CU Picasso Vega cores @ 1.8Ghz, so the newer Vega doesn't seem to have some huge leap in per ALU performance at all.

People really thought RTG had gone back and redesigned Vega for some $100 APUs huh?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fivehead posted:

Foolish question: Is the speestep/downclocking on Zen2 consistent? I searched this on an alien based image board, and all of the replies are worthless (just push it 4 ghz without raising VRMs brrrr) and came up empty.

I like that my CPU is down to 1ghz when i browse the web - keeps my room from getting too hot. Is AMD pushing the same downclocking?

it exists but it might as well not, Zen2 will boost at the drop of the hat. It'll literally go to full boost just from scrolling a browser window or dragging your cursor around the desktop, it only settles when there is literally nothing going on at all.

even the load of having a hardware monitor open can cause it to boost, so it's effectively unobservable too. Schrodinger's Speedstep, you just have to trust that it exists because any time you try to observe it it's not going to be downclocking.

Having it boost up but not have any real load doesn't result in any real power consumption though, and Zen2 is extremely efficient in general, so it's not a big deal, but Zen2 is extremely extremely aggressive about boosting.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 17, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

orcane posted:

AGESA numbering never made sense to begin with so it's alright :v:

Yeah, AGESA numbers have started over at 1.0.0.0 with every generation of Zen CPUs, until now. That didn't make sense either but at least it was a pattern. Or something that resembled a pattern. You'd think that major.minor.micro.nano would be enough to meaningfully communicate any change, but last generation we ended up with 'A', 'B', 'AB', 'ABB' getting tacked on the end.

And this time around we get a versioned version.

AMD is the anti-semver.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mdxi posted:

Yeah, AGESA numbers have started over at 1.0.0.0 with every generation of Zen CPUs, until now. That didn't make sense either but at least it was a pattern. Or something that resembled a pattern. You'd think that major.minor.micro.nano would be enough to meaningfully communicate any change, but last generation we ended up with 'A', 'B', 'AB', 'ABB' getting tacked on the end.

And this time around we get a versioned version.

AMD is the anti-semver.

AGESA 1.0.0.0.ABB.Final.beta.ver2.usethisone.release

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Paul MaudDib posted:

AGESA 1.0.0.0.ABB.Final.beta.ver2.usethisone.release

Still holding out hope for reviving their dormant ATi heritage with AGESA 1.0.0.2.4.RAGE.FURY.MAXX.PRO.GL.FGLRX

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sauer kraut posted:

People really thought RTG had gone back and redesigned Vega for some $100 APUs huh?

r/amd and lots of internet comment sections predict that literally every upcoming part is gonna be a revolution (even if AMD explicitly says that wont be the case in advance), and quickly move to the next thing as soon as the parts predictably dont live up to their hype and pretend the last thing didnt happen. Q for the computer hardware world.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.techpowerup.com/268650/amd-confirms-vermeer-zen-3-not-delayed-to-launch-in-2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cygni posted:

r/amd and lots of internet comment sections predict that literally every upcoming part is gonna be a revolution (even if AMD explicitly says that wont be the case in advance), and quickly move to the next thing as soon as the parts predictably dont live up to their hype and pretend the last thing didnt happen. Q for the computer hardware world.

i am surprised they even bothered designing renoir w/o firm commitments from oems to actually use them in serious models

but you have to get your foot in the door somehow.

also no one cares about igpu performance. it just has to run windows and if it accelerates some apps cool. power consumption is far more important

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having an igpu you can game on is cool. Less parts to buy/replace.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malcolm XML posted:

i am surprised they even bothered designing renoir w/o firm commitments from oems to actually use them in serious models

but you have to get your foot in the door somehow.

also no one cares about igpu performance. it just has to run windows and if it accelerates some apps cool. power consumption is far more important

Yeah, chicken and egg situation. Before Renoir, Ryzen Mobile was garbage: super high idle power, weak CPU performance, relatively low efficiency, and topping out at 4 cores. It’s not a mystery why OEMs didn’t put them in their $2000 flagship laptops. They completely leapfrogged Intel in a single generation.

Ryzen Mobile has been decent for literally less than 6 months and the rona was raging for half that. Give it some time.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Having an igpu you can game on is cool. Less parts to buy/replace.

Nobody who buys laptops in numbers cares. If they care about gaming they get a dgpu

The big money is in $2000 business machines not $800 gaming laptops

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

Nobody who buys laptops in numbers cares. If they care about gaming they get a dgpu

The big money is in $2000 business machines not $800 gaming laptops

I'd pay a premium to have a mid range cpu and gpu on the same chip for itx builds

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Intel is pushing massively into the GPU space, I disagree. Ryzen APUs can be used for Plex transcoding already, and the higher end Vegas will do just fine for 720p gaming. You can run Doom Eternal nicely!

unfortunately in my field it's already 100% NVIDIA CUDA for compute.

Not to say that modern intel machines cannot do this but the #1 thing driving my (larger overhead) organization's standardized models this year is... zoom. Zoom backgrounds, and the ability to seamlessly have huge zoom meetings without lag.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

igpus are good for the ultralight laptop market which I think will grow over time, especially for Windows.

One of the better purchases I've made was an HP Spectre x360, got it for $1050 new in a sweet and lucky deal. The UHD 620 held it back for gaming, would have loved to see something better there.

These things are pretty great otherwise: 13" 4K screen, ultralight, i7 that could perform decently with some undervolting, 2x USB C w/ Thunderbolt. The weight and design make them very comfortable to use (barring a very badly placed touchpad).

Windows is still a lovely tablet OS, but I used it as a laptop. iOS is a lovely desktop - though I haven't used it since I gave my Air to my mom. ChromeOS on my Slate is designed for both tablet and desktop use and that does show up well, but it's not great at either yet.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
An XPS 13 with a Vega APU would be great, there are so many old games that would open up, the good vegas punch with the GT 1030 desktop card.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It would be a nice boost to be sure.

I will state again that Ice Lake is scary competent on well optimized games. Doom 2016 at Medium preset at 1280x800 resolution runs at a pretty stable 55-60fps. It's kinda mind bending seeing that run on something like the XPS13 2:1 since that thing is so drat small.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

charity rereg posted:

Intel is pushing massively into the GPU space, I disagree.

They're pushing something, but I'm not sure if the Xe stuff is ever going to be a consumer GPU, or feed back into advances in gaming GPU performance on their iGPUs. It may never be more than a compute processor that also happens to be a GPU.

bull3964 posted:

I will state again that Ice Lake is scary competent on well optimized games. Doom 2016 at Medium preset at 1280x800 resolution runs at a pretty stable 55-60fps. It's kinda mind bending seeing that run on something like the XPS13 2:1 since that thing is so drat small.

This is more about Doom 2016 than the GPU imo, it also runs really well on some pretty antique video cards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

charity rereg posted:

Ryzen APUs can be used for Plex transcoding already

not under Linux unfortunately, Windows only.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

not under Linux unfortunately, Windows only.

I really, really want AMD to catch up with the Open Source crowd already.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I noticed my motherboard touts 5,000 hour "long life" solid capacitors. Does anyone know what's up with that? 5k hours is ~208 days or around 7 months of 24/7 usage. I've never had electrolytic capacitors crap out on me that quickly, and I'd expect metal film capacitors to have a waaaay longer service life than that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I noticed my motherboard touts 5,000 hour "long life" solid capacitors. Does anyone know what's up with that? 5k hours is ~208 days or around 7 months of 24/7 usage. I've never had electrolytic capacitors crap out on me that quickly, and I'd expect metal film capacitors to have a waaaay longer service life than that.

I wouldn't take the TUF marketing hype too literally, but I do know that the TUF X570 mobo tests well in terms of vrm/vcore performance and temperatures for its price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=717981952
https://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/luke-hill/x570-vrm-temperature-analysis-luke-deep-dive/11/

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Paul MaudDib posted:

it exists but it might as well not, Zen2 will boost at the drop of the hat. It'll literally go to full boost just from scrolling a browser window or dragging your cursor around the desktop, it only settles when there is literally nothing going on at all.

even the load of having a hardware monitor open can cause it to boost, so it's effectively unobservable too. Schrodinger's Speedstep, you just have to trust that it exists because any time you try to observe it it's not going to be downclocking.

Having it boost up but not have any real load doesn't result in any real power consumption though, and Zen2 is extremely efficient in general, so it's not a big deal, but Zen2 is extremely extremely aggressive about boosting.

Thanks, its a bummer that its not treated the same way as intel. I guess its a positive that they can accelerate in such small intervals.

re: XE - there is no way that that becomes mainstream unless Intel buys off OEMs to stick it in, or its $50 and good enough for esports at 1080p

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those ratings are also a rating for how long the capacitor will stay within a set of specifications, and they will continue to operate acceptably beyond those specs, usually. And they are conservative - it's not the average lifetime, its the minimum.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
ahh, that makes way more sense. Thanks guys!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

taqueso posted:

Those ratings are also a rating for how long the capacitor will stay within a set of specifications, and they will continue to operate acceptably beyond those specs, usually. And they are conservative - it's not the average lifetime, its the minimum.

Yep. The questionable-at-best capacitors on my Chinese "x79T" motherboard are rated for 2000 hours, and with the CPU and workloads that box is doing it should still last for years and years. Still tempted to figure out what capacitors they are, oreder reputable replacements, and ply a friend with a soldering gun with food to replace them.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is this significantly different behavior than Intel? Perhaps not dragging a cursor, but opening an explorer window and just dragging that around causes my I5-9400 to go full out at 3.9ghz boost too.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm not really super up on what goes on at intel but they're definitely making strides on the consumer GPU end.

https://www.neowin.net/news/intel-tiger-lake-doubles-gpu-performance-of-ice-lake-in-leaked-benchmark/

If I can play a huge back catalog of 3D games & the occasional modern game at 720p on my little laptop i'm happy. Now if only games would run on the 16" Mac...

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 18, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Completely and absolutely correct use of your 64 Cores and 128 Threads

Sped up 5x from realtime to achieve sync.

Hmmm.... maybe we need to get the Intel guys in on this. Larrabee or Xeon Phi could do better resolution with a hojillion threads...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

that was actually really amazing tbh

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Completely and absolutely correct use of your 64 Cores and 128 Threads

Sped up 5x from realtime to achieve sync.

Hmmm.... maybe we need to get the Intel guys in on this. Larrabee or Xeon Phi could do better resolution with a hojillion threads...

is there a Doom port for the task manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
To bad EPYC isn't 8P capable, could totally do a Doom port with a 42x24 near 4:3 aspect ratio for extreme retro feel.