Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

What

Wait this is the thing where we use woke language to justify bombing brown people that’s fun

hahahaha, what are you even talking about

assuming poor people from the global south can't learn english is racist when boots riley does it and it's racist when you do it, this isn't a complicated concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

poo poo, you could have told me that before I spent years on this forum!

i mean, literally everyone in my country under the age of 50 speaks some level of english these days, but there's like 2? posters from it on this forum.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell a majority of people don’t post on the internet in general

it's true, we're the shitposting elite.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've had multiple opportunities to try to learn a second language but I failed french in secondary school and intro japanese in university. I'm bad at languages. :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've had multiple opportunities to try to learn a second language but I failed french in secondary school and intro japanese in university. I'm bad at languages. :(

eh don't feel bad. What's your native language?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Venezuela is so poorly run that only comfortably middle class people can speak more than one language " is not the winning pro-Maduro/Chavez take you think it is. Makes it pretty convenient to dismiss any Venezuelan who disagrees with you, so there's that going for it, I guess.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

but venezuela

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TotalLossBrain posted:

eh don't feel bad. What's your native language?

English, the most basic bitch of native languages.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

hahahaha, what are you even talking about

assuming poor people from the global south can't learn english is racist when boots riley does it and it's racist when you do it, this isn't a complicated concept

Who says they can’t learn multiple languages. It’s not a case of can or can’t it’s that poor people in general don’t learn multiple languages as learning multiple languages is a luxury even in enlightened Europe unless you need it for your job

You don’t just wake up one day and learn language

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I will admit that saying poor people exist is racist is pretty novel

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

He’s not wrong about Miami

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who says they can’t learn multiple languages. It’s not a case of can or can’t it’s that poor people in general don’t learn multiple languages as learning multiple languages is a luxury even in enlightened Europe unless you need it for your job

yes you do

it's just that most people are in situations where they don't have to, because they understand enough of a common trade language to get by

but as an actual anthropological/child development/linguistics thing, yes, humans are very much designed to wake up one day and learn language

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think monolingualism is really very common outside of Anglophone countries.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I will admit that saying poor people exist is racist is pretty novel

Your avatar was extremely well-earned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arivia posted:

yes you do

it's just that most people are in situations where they don't have to, because they understand enough of a common trade language to get by

but as an actual anthropological/child development/linguistics thing, yes, humans are very much designed to wake up one day and learn language

It’s by generally being around said languages so I feel like your missing my point to be pedantic

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you aware that, even in my rear end end smelly armpit of eastern europe, every kid starts to learn one foreign language in school (usually English), starting at ripe old age of seven? And you can start learning second one in fourth grade, at age 11?

But no, it's us dumb illiterate peasants that need enlightened americans to teach us.

Go eat a dick, you massive loving racist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Your avatar was extremely well-earned.

Hey you already got Ecuador why do you need Venezuela to, I would thought supporting the killing of some brown people would be enough for you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gervasius posted:

Are you aware that, even in my rear end end smelly armpit of eastern europe, every kid starts to learn one foreign language in school (usually English), starting at ripe old age of seven? And you can start learning second one in fourth grade, at age 11?

But no, it's us dumb illiterate peasants that need enlightened americans to teach us.

Go eat a dick, you massive loving racist.

Teach you what

What are you talking about

Why are you calling me racist because you poo poo on yourself

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Do you all actually believe the "president Xi my country yearns for freedom" joke or what. We know for a solid fact that the American spooks love using native grifters/useful idiots to control the conversation, and any major nation state today can and does do the same.

Even pretending these posts are genuine you have to accept a fundamental fact of internet discourse. People on the internet who have the time to post, argue politics, and contribute due to material circumstances tend to be richer, whiter, and more invested in power than the average person. This has improved over time, but on the whole it's gonna still skew to weirdos or those with "strong political opinions" :hitler: writing English content in non English native language countries.

Again, to steal from Boots, a French Trump guy or a Canadian Xi gal or a Japanese Merklel enby are going to be in the vast minority.

T-man has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jun 18, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Countries where the overclass is from one culture and speaks one language, and the underclass is from another culture and speaks both their own language and the overclass' language in order to coexist in their world at all, are surely a rare and ancient phenomenon with no analog in the present day planet Earth

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

CharlestheHammer posted:

learning multiple languages is a luxury even in enlightened Europe unless you need it for your job

bruv I live in the rear end-end of europe and learned four foreign languages by the end of mandatory schooling

please stop talking about things you are just objectively wrong about, we're not supposed to bring our own iosm here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

snergle posted:

lisence points are a county thing so imagine laws that different on a state level x 1million.

California has Licence points, I know this because I got points on my licence there for running a stoplight

on a bicycle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Countries where the overclass is from one culture and speaks one language, and the underclass is from another culture and speaks both their own language and the overclass' language in order to coexist in their world at all, are surely a rare and ancient phenomenon with no analog in the present day planet Earth

English is uh not the language of the ruling class

The more analogous one is the fact England nobility spoke both French and English while the common man tended to speak one or the other
Or the romans spoke Latin even in Greece until Justinian reformed the system to go back to Greek in that situation in particular the common people couldn’t understand their own laws until it was fixed

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Please stop posting

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

charlesthehammer thinks we shouldn't listen to Venezuelans who tweet in English but gets all his Syrian opinions from Westerners who don't speak a word of Arabic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

charlesthehammer thinks we shouldn't listen to Venezuelans who tweet in English but gets all his Syrian opinions from Westerners who don't speak a word of Arabic

We don’t really know what Syrians want but most anti Assad is just US imperial posturing bundled in wild language

It’s literally all just the we will be treated as liberators with a slight change

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I think Syrians don't want their leaders bombing and gassing them. Just going on a hunch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm in a GURPS game where my character is an alcoholic. Normally this Disadvantage is a joke because GMs always forget about compelling it, so players get a free 15 CP during character creation. On our last assignment, I decided that poo poo was so stressful (it was a Resident Evil-style "laboratory hidden in a mansion" scenario) that he immediately began guzzling whiskey from a found bottle.

this a good story, but it's also why the correct system for disadvantages is to let players decide when they're triggered and give some kind of currency in return.

I want to play someone who's a paraplegic, but the story is never about the challenges they face. Cool, no points.

I want to play someone who's a demigod, with comically severe agoraphobia. Cool, when that actually causes them difficulty, one point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

this a good story, but it's also why the correct system for disadvantages is to let players decide when they're triggered and give some kind of currency in return.

I want to play someone who's a paraplegic, but the story is never about the challenges they face. Cool, no points.

I want to play someone who's a demigod, with comically severe agoraphobia. Cool, when that actually causes them difficulty, one point.

The way GURPS works, you build your character by spending points on increased stats, Advantages (like superpowers, extra attacks, fine senses, attractiveness and charisma, etc.), and skills. You can also gain points by lowering your stats and taking Disadvantages (like kleptomania, missing limbs, addictions, or more esoteric stuff like a curse on your bloodline or a necklace that has to be worn at all times or you go into a coma). Many of these have mechanical effects, but a number of them also require the GM to remember that you have them and pay attention to when a situation comes up where he can force you to respond or roll against your self-control to not give in.

And unfortunately, most GMs are really terrible at remembering all of the issues their party has. So people will add this poo poo for the free points because they expect nothing to make it a big deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I looked it up and the amount of English speakers in Venezuela is about 20,000

In a population of 28 million

According to multiple sources I looked at it’s mainly used by professional classes and academics

Especially in fields dealing with oil though that might be out of date recently

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I looked it up and the amount of English speakers in Venezuela is about 20,000

In a population of 28 million

According to multiple sources I looked at it’s mainly used by professional classes and academics

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Now we’re bappin

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chitoryu12 posted:

The way GURPS works, you build your character by spending points on increased stats, Advantages (like superpowers, extra attacks, fine senses, attractiveness and charisma, etc.), and skills. You can also gain points by lowering your stats and taking Disadvantages (like kleptomania, missing limbs, addictions, or more esoteric stuff like a curse on your bloodline or a necklace that has to be worn at all times or you go into a coma). Many of these have mechanical effects, but a number of them also require the GM to remember that you have them and pay attention to when a situation comes up where he can force you to respond or roll against your self-control to not give in.

And unfortunately, most GMs are really terrible at remembering all of the issues their party has. So people will add this poo poo for the free points because they expect nothing to make it a big deal.

i know how gurps works.

i bought a great many gurps books which i should not have, but there are some setting-centric books i wish i still had. i still think about Cabal, and even Ogre.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

English is uh not the language of the ruling class

I know this is the IoSM thread but you're supposed to source your loving quotes dude

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

christmas boots posted:

Now we’re bappin

we hope you like bappin too

in unrelated news, you know things are going bad when meghan mccain is scoring points on you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This whole thing is so loving weird.

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1273694781097598977

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm wondering if it's legally possible to get my legal name changed to Chad Chadley, Chadliest of Chads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Not in California, no punctuation allowed in names