Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i re watched national treasure last night and you all seem to be missing that all this begins with the formation of the knights templar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MizPiz posted:

Rome is the material, cultural, and spiritual progenitor of fascism, therefore fascism can't be defeated until Rome in all it's forms has been sacked.

I love your books mr Dick

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Panzeh posted:

The 'working class whisperers' seem to misunderstand this and think that all minorities are urban professionals while the real poor are white people in the rust belt(which is also full of impoverished black folks).

Majorian posted:

As well as, of course, the prevailing media/establishment narrative that "old conservative shitbirds in a deep red state who happen to be black" is synonymous with "all black people, everywhere, and if you say anything negative about the SC primary you're saying that you want black people to lose their votes."

The Muppets On PCP posted:

earlier this year the chair of the sc dems put out a demographic profile of their ideal primary voter and it was a black woman aged 35-50 who made twice the state median income
The Democratic Party rhetoric has whiplashed back and forth on this a lot since 2016. Their default stance is that the rural US deserves to rot because it's all racist white hicks. When criticized, they point out that black women are the Party base, and wear the SC primary results as a feather in their cap.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which was started by Washington being a complete dumbass.

i vaguely remember him getting his rear end kicked but not the details, what went down ?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
you're all missing the obvious origin of ww2 aka the discovery of fire

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In the beginning the universe was created, which has made a lot of people unhappy and is widely regarded as a mistake.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

none can determine where lightning struck first, but we can determine who was first to harness fire

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

The Democratic Party rhetoric has whiplashed back and forth on this a lot since 2016. Their default stance is that the rural US deserves to rot because it's all racist white hicks. When criticized, they point out that black women are the Party base, and wear the SC primary results as a feather in their cap.

Has anyone pointed out to them that there are rural communities of color too?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Often Abbreviated posted:

*Roman soldiers march across a wooden bridge. It is the Rhine. The year is 9CE*

Me: Ah, the opening salvos of WW2

*Arminius pulls off his mask as Varus gasps in shock*

Varus: ...HITLER?!?!?!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chapocels would refer to men who can't get laid because they listen to Chapo? Which is baffling, because if you tell women that actually Amber is the best Chapo and you're only in it for the movie episodes they slide off their chairs

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

french revolution started 1st world war

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Carthage was in a position to introduce true capitalism hundreds if not thousands of years before it actually came about, so Rome sacking Carthage was a significantly greater set back for the western world than Rome adopting Christianity.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Crane Fist posted:

Chapocels would refer to men who can't get laid because they listen to Chapo? Which is baffling, because if you tell women that actually Amber is the best Chapo and you're only in it for the movie episodes they slide off their chairs

pretty sure they mean redditors

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MizPiz posted:

Carthage was in a position to introduce true capitalism hundreds if not thousands of years before it actually came about, so Rome sacking Carthage was a significantly greater set back for the western world than Rome adopting Christianity.

the hole left by the punic dark ages

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

history, as a profession and a construct, was created solely to categorize this, the struggle of struggles

of course I am talking about WWII

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

in the grim darkness of the entirety of human existence, there is only war

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Victory Position posted:

history, as a profession and a construct, was created solely to categorize this, the struggle of struggles

of course I am talking about WWII

Whoa, Dan Carlin is a goon!

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Would it be cool if I posted the first episode of my podcast here? I'd love some feedback if anyone would give a listen. Feel free to edit the link out if that's not okay!!!

It is at least about amorphously left-wing stuff, so I guess it fits here anyways??

https://caseyjonespod.wordpress.com/2020/06/18/episode-1-your-city-sucks/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of WW2

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Crane Fist posted:

bc they use the chapo subreddit. the podcast is pretty cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Would it be cool if I posted the first episode of my podcast here? I'd love some feedback if anyone would give a listen. Feel free to edit the link out if that's not okay!!!

It is at least about amorphously left-wing stuff, so I guess it fits here anyways??

https://caseyjonespod.wordpress.com/2020/06/18/episode-1-your-city-sucks/

I'm 11 seconds in and right off the bat I can tell you that the Mclaughlin Group sounding intro is great but you need to follow it up with the show intro, not banter. That intro gets me excited for a spirited debate, not casual ttrpg chat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

now I'm 2 and a half minutes in and you still haven't told me what this is and who you are. I don't know who you are! Save these long rear end banter intros for when you have an established audience! And that one dude doesn't know poo poo about found footage movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah,like the word "ancient" but without the t. That's how you pronounce Ancien.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe it's just my lovely speakers but it seems like each of the three hosts is at a different volume

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Maybe it's just my lovely speakers but it seems like each of the three hosts is at a different volume

It was actually my incredible doofus cohost who didn't use headphones. It took some... Massaging to get it to a reasonable level. He's bought nice monitors now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any good articles that critique White Fragility? I'm not subjecting even my worst enemy to Chapo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

20 minutes in and you're telling me to listen to a 4 part podcast series about the Ramones.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

20 minutes in and you're telling me to listen to a 4 part podcast series about the Ramones.

Thank you for the play by play Mister Cowell, do you plan on being constructive?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Three solid minutes of Grateful Dead chat. The balance of banter and structure is completely hosed up. The actual content parts are clearly somewhat structured and researched, but then the banter parts stop that loving dead

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Thank you for the play by play Mister Cowell, do you plan on being constructive?

Here's some constructive criticism: try doing something else with your time

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Three solid minutes of Grateful Dead chat. The balance of banter and structure is completely hosed up. The actual content parts are clearly somewhat structured and researched, but then the banter parts stop that loving dead

I appreciate this, thanks man

Crane Fist posted:

Here's some constructive criticism: try doing something else with your time

lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

half an hour in and it's clear that "Cities" was way too big of a topic. The transit part of the episode was super cursory, and i'm not hopeful that this rent section is going to get any deeper. Made worse by the long banter segments which suck up a lot of time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

The other problem with this entire back and force is that the SC primary was majority white voters.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

half an hour in and it's clear that "Cities" was way too big of a topic. The transit part of the episode was super cursory, and i'm not hopeful that this rent section is going to get any deeper. Made worse by the long banter segments which suck up a lot of time.

Oh yeah, it was meant to be sort of a baby's first episode sort of deal, the first few are very general in a way that's meant to ease in to future topics. I didn't want to jump right into some dusty rear end story right off the bat. I'm also sort of still up in the air on who's actually going to be on the thing. My first options (people I have way better chemistry with) are all otherwise busy. :geno:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For real I listened to about 20 mins and the best word I can think of for the whole vibe would be "leaden". The banter is like when you're lying in bed and can hear a tap dripping in the bathroom and you start to feel weirdly agitated and restless and you want it to stop but it's not bad enough to force you to do something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Oh yeah, it was meant to be sort of a baby's first episode sort of deal, the first few are very general in a way that's meant to ease in to future topics. I didn't want to jump right into some dusty rear end story right off the bat. I'm also sort of still up in the air on who's actually going to be on the thing. My first options (people I have way better chemistry with) are all otherwise busy. :geno:

What is this? What are you doing here? Is it general chat about a broad topic between knowledgeable people? Or is it telling a specific story/explaining a specific topic with people who can chime in with jokes/extra info?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You need to understand the difference between banter and riffs. Banter, just dumb simple jokes/pop culture opinions should be kept to a minimum in an informational podcast like I think you're trying to do here. Sprinkled in if necessary to add a bit of levity to a dry section or to segway between topics.

Riffs are different, that's when people "riff" on a concept, building jokes on it. That can go on for a long time because it adds value to the episode. But none of you are doing riffs. You're just doing several minute long stretches of banter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

What is this? What are you doing here? Is it general chat about a broad topic between knowledgeable people? Or is it telling a specific story/explaining a specific topic with people who can chime in with jokes/extra info?

I think either would be fine, though I'd prefer the latter. Right now I'm planning an episode about mass hysteria where I'm gonna focus in on the Daycare Satanic Panic and Antifa Supersolider caravans. Maybe frame it around how it was presented by right wing political/media organizations

Crane Fist posted:

For real I listened to about 20 mins and the best word I can think of for the whole vibe would be "leaden". The banter is like when you're lying in bed and can hear a tap dripping in the bathroom and you start to feel weirdly agitated and restless and you want it to stop but it's not bad enough to force you to do something

thanks for giving it a shot! you're a good writer, thanks for the sick burns I suppose.