Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1273617287749271558

Beta patch just hit with a bunch of bug fixes for all the pressing stuff and some new additions/changes like tweaking the greenskin tech tree and the Black Orc Big Boss skill tree. But mainly:

quote:

Removed the Lord of Changes’ influence on the stance list – it should no longer play mind games and close while moused over

thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Oh nice, wonder what BOBB skills are now?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

albany academy posted:

Oh nice, wonder what BOBB skills are now?

"Vigor loss reduction -20% for all orc units in army" for one.

Also some casualty repl for orc units.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Looks like the beta will allow you to get the LL defeat traits if you capture a LL in a warden’s cage, which is cool. We’ll be able to get achievements for beating the campaign as Grom too. It doesn’t mention Eltharion, so does that mean he is currently able to get those achievements?

I have a Grom save where I have an army ready to smash Yvresse’s last settlement and win. How well do old saves generally work with new patches, and what’s the general timeline for beta to patch? Is the weapon strength bug fix in the main game now? I don’t see it mentioned in those patch notes.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 18, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

"Vigor loss reduction -20% for all orc units in army" for one.

Also some casualty repl for orc units.

i wonder if the vigor loss buff its stackable??????

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are dark elfs still crossbows all day

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The beta patch screwed up Orc confederations when you punk their faction lords. Sometimes it pops up sometimes it doesn't. So if you're trying to snipe an orc faction save before declaring war cause it might not work at all.

Edit: Tested again, defeated Rotgut but no confederation option after(faction was still alive after the battle), defeated Wurzag and did get confederation.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 18, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are dark elfs still crossbows all day

and a medusa here and there

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dr Christmas posted:

Looks like the beta will allow you to get the LL defeat traits if you capture a LL in a warden’s cage, which is cool. We’ll be able to get achievements for beating the campaign as Grom too. It doesn’t mention Eltharion, so does that mean he is currently able to get those achievements?

I have a Grom save where I have an army ready to smash Yvresse’s last settlement and win. How well do old saves generally work with new patches, and what’s the general timeline for beta to patch? Is the weapon strength bug fix in the main game now? I don’t see it mentioned in those patch notes.

The weapon strength bug was already part of the beta patch, it was the first fix they implemented. As long as there are no map changes, a new patch should work fine with an old save.

Normally patches go live either a few months later or on dlc release.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
About two weeks ago I started a beastmen campaign (VH/N) and it has been quite a trip. I decided to raid and raze my way up to Altdorf so I could work on getting Khazrak Scourge and hopefully break Franz's back because the VC were doing well against him. By turn 40 I had sacked Altdorf itself 4 times and Manfred had control of it, so I felt confident leaving to destroy Courrone, who had control of their whole area save Blackstone and the WE forests. Once I methodically raze everything there and ensure that either Kimmler or the dark elves (twice in two campaigns they've managed to land near Courrone itself and are powers #1 and #2) take the settlements before moving on. Upon demolishing everything of theirs I can see I find out that they're holed up in a single province down in the Sahara, which is going to be a pain so I leave them be and plot for how best to get rid of Reikland.

Since I last looked, the VC are losing the war with Karl Franz and Karaz-A-Karak, so I resign myself to going very slow and staying as a deathball. It takes me about 100 turns of sacking and slowly moving through to destroy everything. Of course, once Chaos is defeated, the wood elves start sending 4 armies at me every three turns and I have to pick them off in 4v1 or 4v2 situations because it takes me too long to recover if I do an even fight. All of my lords have the traits for defeating each of the LLs for Reikland, along with Orion and Durthu. At around turn 215 I clear out the last Reikland settlement and start raiding south, to find that K-A-K has control of basically everything. The whole of the badlands, most of the north (mysteriously everything not owned by them is ruins, poor blue vipers has ~8-9 settlements at one point up there) half of the Reikland, they're considered so strongthe power bar has no yellow. So I make it all the way down to the desert of Arabay and right as I get in sight of Courrone they are destroyed by Cult of Pleasure.

It takes me a minute to figure out why I can't trigger the last fight, there's two Reikland provinces back just north of the border princes. Dutifully, I snort and gnash my teeth, then set out back to finally finish this, smashing the three pursuing wood elf armies in rage. When I return around turn 250 I quickly demolish the two settlements and scream with rage at the cruelty that has befallen me. Reikland had managed to also sneak up into the skaven-infested north and taken a few settlements up there. Instead of wasting my time, I figure I'd reload from an earlier save and stamp out reikland if it comes back, allowing Morathi to kill off the final Courrone settlement in the south.

Like clockwork, a few turns later Karl and Co. come back and are immediately destroyed. So I wait, and wait, and wait, Courrone is not destroyed this time by the dark elves. I give up and trek down to finish them off, right as they go up to three settlements. Unfortunately, the great plan apparently involves Courrone surviving because as soon as I step foot in Arabay I am war dec'd by Lizardmen. I make it to the settlements and raze two, but four wood elf armies and five lizardmen armies stand between me and the final one. I drew a bloody victory over the wood elves, but when I tried yesterday to fight the Lizardmen, they had too many dinos (~18) and my reinforcing giants trickle in from a very bad side of the map. I'm going to do things a little differently and win the fight today, or lick my wounds so my great weapon minotaurs are back to full models and just carve them up, but jesus is it tough.

Beastmen have an ok roster, but they have no armor before bestigors and don't have anything like the Waaagh! to make it all work. Also their giants are absolute rear end against most everything. 40 armor and miserable speed makes them such a pain to use sometimes.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure if it's the new patch but I just had 3 sieges in a row where something weird happened.

First two had the gates kind of open for no reason and get some of my units stuck inside, and the gate became unattackable while issuing move commands would still consider it closed.

Last one just had flying units path through a gate. As in, they wouldn't fly over things, they'd have to path around as if they were walking.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Falcorum posted:

Not sure if it's the new patch but I just had 3 sieges in a row where something weird happened.

First two had the gates kind of open for no reason and get some of my units stuck inside, and the gate became unattackable while issuing move commands would still consider it closed.

Last one just had flying units path through a gate. As in, they wouldn't fly over things, they'd have to path around as if they were walking.

These bugs have been in forever, and they are infuriating, I alt-f4 out and replay it (I play legendary so no reloading) when the gate bug happens and your lord/hero gets locked inside and slowly dies as you desperately try to get the gates down to save him.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chakan posted:

Also their giants are absolute rear end against most everything. 40 armor and miserable speed makes them such a pain to use sometimes.

All Giants Are Bad.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Falcorum posted:

The first one I’ve had happen to me a few times before the patch, just another buggy part of sieges

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Falcorum posted:

i just accidentally cheesed a siege this way by sending in the soul crusher mammoth to kick down the gates then sending wulfrik in to rescue the mammoth. both of them just glommed through the gate and

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
My warp grinders have destroyed the gate and two wall sections. My ratling guns sit aimed across the gaps. On the other side there are saurus waving hello. My guns do not fire. Why is this.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SuperKlaus posted:

My warp grinders have destroyed the gate and two wall sections. My ratling guns sit aimed across the gaps. On the other side there are saurus waving hello. My guns do not fire. Why is this.

ranged units target from the outside of unit in
destroyed walls have a raised rubble which blocks line of sight

its finicky but possible to have flat trajectory ranged fire into cities but more importantly gently caress skaven gun armies

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chakan posted:

Beastmen have an ok roster, but they have no armor before bestigors and don't have anything like the Waaagh! to make it all work. Also their giants are absolute rear end against most everything. 40 armor and miserable speed makes them such a pain to use sometimes.

Yeah my endgame beastmen armies are basically just bestigor/minos/a cygor/maybe some centigors if i managed to get that building.

They're a lot more fun in multiplayer where you can use more of their roster. I really like razorgor herds.

We do mulitplayer games in the goonfights discord and also shitpost about campaign a lot and everyone should join. There's a link in the OP

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

McGavin posted:

All Giants Are Bad.

They really are. The stagger animation is painfully slow, but they also fall over and that animation is so long it feels like two cannon units could almost completely stunlock a giant.

I beat the beastmen short campaign, after managing to pull apart the lizardman armies and smash them, though the one with 9 rank 7 feral carnosaurs had terrible autoresovle odds, even with 4 armies. The final fight is a joke, especially if you know there will be a reinforcement wave that comes from the west with a pair of rockets. Massed minotaurs just bowl through anything approaching a reasonable fight, so almost all of mine were great weapons for the bonus vs large. The brayherd allies actually did well enough on normal to take out the Brettonian starting forces on their own, save the trebuchet that was splintered by The Eye of Morrslieb.

Thoughts on Beastmen:
-Their magic is good. Wild and Death in particular are, as always, workhorse lores but that doesn't preclude the others from being very strong. This is marred by the fact that casters are pretty limited and there's an event that just wounds them randomly. It sucks to just lose your caster for a while right as you're starting a big push.
-Gorebulls are just huge minotaurs and therefore rule. They krump with the best of them, but they're not super exciting apart from that. Coming from Vampires, all heroes feel lackluster so take this with a grain of salt.
-Building up new armies takes way too long. Even having a dedicated horde for each of a few building trees means you're stuck shuffling around units if you lose some in a fight.
-The Brayherd meter feels like it's punishing you for not doing anything when it drops low, but there's no timer and you can avoid the attrition by raiding so don't be afraid to sit still for 3-4 turns if need-be.
-The conditions to wipe out certain factions suck. I get it, but it's just tedious after a while. Though it is nice to have a capstone fight at the end of the campaign as a sort of send-off.
-Their money is messed up. All their buildings cost too much. Early game you'll sack a city and realize you can either grow one of your hordes or survive 5-6 turns off it, but you'll need to plan another sack, it can be fun right up until it's just added stress. Late game you'll have 200K favor and will be running a 3K/turn deficit, which means nothing costs anything and you can do whatever you want.
-Just wait for whatever changes they make to beastmen, everyone said they weren't fun and apart from some really good battles where I was a forest insurgency fighting a professional army much larger than mine, they were right.

The Units:
-In the early game you're just better off running ungors and working towards the -50% upkeep building. You start with two hordes and since all ungors have stalk you can punch way above your weight class by using 10-15 ungor raiders to pull apart enemy forces and just make sure you've got spearmen available to brace for a cavalry charge. I started as Khazrak and just decided to not really have a front line till I got to Bestigors, which hit like a truck, have 100 armor, and don't route if they're fighting with allies near.
-Gors with or without shields are a big bump up in terms of effectiveness but they mean pesky things like "having a front line" that can get you routed by some enemies. Shieldless Gors are very killy against lightly armored troops and will slaughter on the charge, but will get mulched in return once the charge bonus has worn off.
-Ungor raiders are fantastic, till every enemy starts to have a lot of armor. Their AP values are bad and they have no morale so they crumple if anything gets to them but 2 of them will break most anything as it chases down a third. Ungors are also good because they have high speed, especially once you research the +speed tech they're half again as fast as humans.
-Minotaurs are brutes and one unit will break a line almost as fast as a dragon, two will crumple all but the hardiest man-sized customers almost immediately. Your goal in all fights before late-game is to distract the main force and smash 20% of their army with 50% of yours so minotaurs are amazing at carving up engaged humans and then chasing them (62 speed!) to get the shatter, allowing you to move on.
-Centaurs have two different niches and a unit that's basically light cav but comes too late to be of use. Great Weapon and Throwing Axe centigors are AP damage with a decent number of models, GW centigors will demolish demigryph knights and similar enemies, while throwing axes are the best AP ranged option. Regular centigors are fine, they have mass and a solid charge but they're not really worth it to me.
- Chaos Warhounds and Spawn. They're fine, I guess. Warhounds are just dogs so they do dog things, giving them poison is a solid upgrade. I didn't build any spawn, but the few units I controlled from brayherds were fine enough. They're still a little flimsy to missiles for my taste.
-Razorgors & their chariots: the pigs are tough and hit hard but I could never find a place for them in my armies. They come earlier than centigors I think so they could fill that niche I guess? Chariots are too much micro for a faction that requires a huge amount of micro to get the most out of your units. Once I had my lords on chariots that was enough for me so I never built them, but they have the stat lines that if you have good micro they could be worth it.
-Harpies and Feral Manticore just don't feel worth it. They're not terrible units but the primary use of harpies is to make flank charges easier which isn't a big deal because your army is so fast & feral manticores will rampage at the worst time, losing you a unit that you needed to not lose.
-Cygors are good, especially because they give you another avenue to maipulate the opponent. All artillery benefits greatly from chevrons and this is especially true of cygors. Hurling a boulder two football fields away only to see it smash next to a unit is very frustrating. They're slightly squishy giants in combat, so don't be afraid to use them to smash people and push a line once they've run out of rocks.
-Giants are for autoresolve in late game. Don't build them otherwise and don't be surprised if you lose some every time you have to do a manual fight. Go 19 giants in an army if you're gonna include any.

All of this is single player of course. In MP I understand you just rely on the fact that you can take Malagor and summon two cygors to hopefully win. Though all their units have a place in MP from what I've seen.

Thanks for indulging me, this is mostly to justify spending 265 turns beating this campaign.

e: Thanks, I'm in the discord, but I got blinders to finish this campaign. Haven't done MP in earnest since RTW so maybe I'll ask some people for a few games.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

are ratling guns meant to be completely worthless during sieges?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like the blood grounds mod for beastmen, it gives them optional single-level settlements with relatively useful buildings.

Combined with mods to fix the bray meter/teleport allies/improve food growth and increase unit variety they're actually rather fun.

The blood grounds mod is a bit too much for the AI to deal with though, it's not a good idea to use it when not playing beastmen yourself.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Break down a wall and have them shoot the units on other side trough the gap, they can be finicky but every once in a while they can do great in a siege too, similar to how warp fire throwers and irondrakes can rack up tons of kills in sieges if you open up the opportunity for them.

Just never have them try shoot units up the wall, they will never hit and just waste ammo same as with any other direct line of fire unit.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What are the conditions that are needed for the Chaos hordes to respawn up north after Archaon shows up?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

They can be as useless as they want considering how broken poison wind mortars are during sieges.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Choyi posted:

Break down a wall and have them shoot the units on other side trough the gap, they can be finicky but every once in a while they can do great in a siege too, similar to how warp fire throwers and irondrakes can rack up tons of kills in sieges if you open up the opportunity for them.

Just never have them try shoot units up the wall, they will never hit and just waste ammo same as with any other direct line of fire unit.

i'll give that a try, i've tried having them shoot through the front gate before but it never works out

there are none more observant than dawi rangers!

rip

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Choyi posted:

To expand/add to this make a bunch of holes in the walls near where the enemy is clumped the most, move your ratlings to the gaps, make sure they have guard mode on (a must or they'll run through the hole and get themselves killed), also reduce the ranks of the gunners so that the unit "fits" the hole, can easily get hundreds of kills in a siege. They'll lose to handgunners/xbows/bows on the walls so make sure you're using warp lightning/artillery to kill the enemy ranged.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i'll give that a try, i've tried having them shoot through the front gate before but it never works out

there are none more observant than dawi rangers!

rip

the head: "it's an ooooold ranger trick"

That beastman post reminded me of one of the things that really suck about hordes: you are heavily incentivized to use a minimal amount of the roster because of how long horde growth takes and how you have to choose between getting a new building or an upgrade. So once you've gotten to T3 or 4 you're obviously going for those units instead of going for T1 cav or whatever. Like as chaos you'll just end up spamming chosen and hellcannons and maybe one other line, beastmen you spam minotaurs, even coast my armies are always just dickhands, crabs, and artillery then eventually necrofex spam.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Coast doesn't count because they get raise dead

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Plus you can get ridiculous horde growth through skills and admiralty offices. Super easy to do hordes as the coast compared to chaos and beastmen

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Beastmen should just have one primary horde building that's stupid expensive to upgrade but gives them all recruitment from its tier, instead of dedicated recruitment buildings. Make the other building options stuff like more heroes, army buffs, callin skills. Insane that a beastman lord is going "hmmm, we really need some gors to help bolster the line" rather than just be some organic snowball effect.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

albany academy posted:

Beastmen should just have one primary horde building that's stupid expensive to upgrade but gives them all recruitment from its tier, instead of dedicated recruitment buildings. Make the other building options stuff like more heroes, army buffs, callin skills. Insane that a beastman lord is going "hmmm, we really need some gors to help bolster the line" rather than just be some organic snowball effect.

This would help a lot, but it's also that their "settlement" building is garbage. It gives + horde growth and + recruitment capacity, some levels you even get both!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I find all of the factions that can't settle, Norsca included even though I love their units, to be huge pains. All the ruins you make just get recolonized so easily that I just feel like I'm making the next person I fight stronger.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Chakan posted:

This would help a lot, but it's also that their "settlement" building is garbage. It gives + horde growth and + recruitment capacity, some levels you even get both!

I mean yeah, that too. Horde growth can be accounted for elsewhere if necessary, like making it something you get from sacking, winning battles and raising, or heck just a blue line skill like vcoast. But just getting rid of the dumb building tech for beastmen would help them be more streamlined and fun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

its a testament to how much the factions have been improved over the life of 2 that my favourite factions from 1, norsca and beastmen, are now by far my least favourite to play.

norsca has great units but the insanely long global recruitment times are so punishing. i would like them to be remade as a vampirates style semi-horde faction. i'd also love it if CA did a cylostra and just made up a third LL for the norscans, preferably a fimir guy who starts away from the others and has to retake albion or something.

i have a list of LLs i would really like to see in 3 but that i think are unlikely to show up. i am hoping that i can use sympathetic magic to get CA to put them in like i did for vampire coast by saying how unlikely they are and how much of a longshot it is. so far they have put in almost all of my 'super longshot wildcard' picks, but i'm worried that posting something that i think is unlikely while knowing that it being unlikely makes it likely will break the spell. like i was super confident on thanquol and he's looking like he'll be the last skaven LL we see, if we see him at all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What are the conditions that are needed for the Chaos hordes to respawn up north after Archaon shows up?

99% sure he's the end of it, and AFAIK chaos doesn't spawn more stacks or grow at all. so basically take out he and his 3 groupies and you're done.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

its a testament to how much the factions have been improved over the life of 2 that my favourite factions from 1, norsca and beastmen, are now by far my least favourite to play.

norsca has great units but the insanely long global recruitment times are so punishing. i would like them to be remade as a vampirates style semi-horde faction

sfo gives wulfrik a longship horde system and it is great.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Onmi posted:

99% sure he's the end of it, and AFAIK chaos doesn't spawn more stacks or grow at all. so basically take out he and his 3 groupies and you're done.

Ah ok, just makin sure. I'm playing with a bunch of Chaos mods (as Vlad) so I wasn't sure if they had broken something. Archaon/Sart made a pretty good push and razed all of Kislev and Osterland, and half of Nordland but got stopped. The Puppets of Chaos have completely eaten Lustria though and are slowly climbing up towards Morathi. I'm playin with Guv's Chaos Mod, Chaos Towers, and Gates of Chaos, and Chaos Within. Pretty sure if the old world wasn't completely dominated by Order factions, then poo poo would have gone bad for mankind. I made a save right when Archaon appeared, so I might reload and see what happens when I decide to take advantage of the Chaos war and break the Old World Order Alliance to install myself as Emperor in Altdorf.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The loading screen I got today was about the warpgates and herdstones that result from when chaos and beastmen raze cities, specifically that they eventually cease to produce chaos corruption after a while. I didn’t know that and it feels counterintuitive.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I'm burning as fast as I can! Though I never really did find a good niche for Sigvald. I've wound up just filling his army with hellcannons and and chariots so I can blow everything up with them, it seems to work pretty well. I've developed a firm love for artillery which will aid me greatly in my co-op campaign with a friend, where I've started playing as the Dreadfleet.

Sigvald's niche is setting things up for everyone else. First he gets more growth than anyone else. Second his reduction in upkeep applies to Marauder Horsemen with throwing axes and Marauder Horsemasters (the throwing axes are AP of course) - and he can easily take both those to 0 upkeep. So unlike everyone else you keep the marauder building, run a really cheap stack that razes minor settlements, and eventually he's going to hand over to Kholek or Archaeon once he's built most of their favourite buildings. Or just another generic lord once you've got the buildings set up where you want someone fresh to take over. Meanwhile Sigvald starts over with 8 automatic growth (3 personal, 5 from the blue line) and can get back to his marauder cavalry stack pretty fast. Meanwhile his replacements don't need to run down the blue line at all because they have a nice big place set up for them and just need to lead their army.

And an all ranged cavalry army is fun as long as you can avoid walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013

Electronico6 posted:

The beta patch screwed up Orc confederations when you punk their faction lords. Sometimes it pops up sometimes it doesn't. So if you're trying to snipe an orc faction save before declaring war cause it might not work at all.

Edit: Tested again, defeated Rotgut but no confederation option after(faction was still alive after the battle), defeated Wurzag and did get confederation.

I just had that bug happen to me after winning a battle against Wurzag by the skin of my teeth. It sucks.