Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I cut open my way too wet loaf. If only I could stop over hydrating my dough. Still tasted better from the 24hr ferment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

100% fresh whole wheat sourdough at ~88% hydration

e: moneyshot

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
hosed again by dough sticking to the banneton liner. I am so pissed.

I'm getting some rice flour, but are there any addition measures I can take to prevent half a day's work being ruined by a poo poo piece of linen? I've been covering the banneton with a tea towel and wrapping in a plastic bag when I retard in the fridge, but I feel like there winds up being counterproductive amount of moisture in there when I pull it out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I ever got to properly work in my bannetons is no tea-towel and yellow cornmeal.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

hosed again by dough sticking to the banneton liner. I am so pissed.

I'm getting some rice flour, but are there any addition measures I can take to prevent half a day's work being ruined by a poo poo piece of linen? I've been covering the banneton with a tea towel and wrapping in a plastic bag when I retard in the fridge, but I feel like there winds up being counterproductive amount of moisture in there when I pull it out.

fwiw I don't use a towel, just a well-seasoned banneton dusted with 50:50 AP:rice flour:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Chad Sexington posted:

The image poverty goat posted looks right for how to flour it. If it's a new one then you probably have to shove the flour into the cracks. Well, more like spin your fingertip around the courses in the banneton. I've discovered through sweat and tears that it's a similar thing with couches.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

rice flour is a secret weapon in the sticky dough wars

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

OK, so in spite of my whiny bitch post earlier (and the fact that the dough looked like it had lost its shape) I still got some pretty good oven spring. And the crumb is better than anything I've made to date, so... who knows.

I have since acquired some rice flour though and will get to work fingering my banneton.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Do ya’ll wash your banneton between uses? With water? What’s the deal?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

If there's obvious fungus or bacteria wash it off. This is basic sex ed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I heard if you pee immediately after you use your banneton it's good.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

my banneton had a nice covering on it, but my parents cut it off

something about hygiene or tradition, idk what the gently caress that has to do with dough proofing

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just let it dry and take it outside and brush the loose flour off.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

There a good solution to having my bread collapse from its transfer from resting bowl -> dutch oven? I started the whole sourdough thing a little while ago, and I initially was working with significantly lower hydration breads (I wasn't really measuring intently then, guessing maybe 60% or so) I would end up with a proofed boule that I could confidently transfer into my dutch oven without really risking a surface tension break. I've upped it to a measured 70/75% (tried both multiple times now) to sorta get used to working with wetter doughs and while I feel confident in my ability to knead and shape a very nice boule that proofs really well, it collapses like nothing else if anything breaks the surface/when I put it into the dutch oven and I suspect I'm getting really lame oven springs as a result now

For reference, I'm simply using a heavily flowered mixing bowl which earnestly was working fine until I switched over. Is it time to try and hunt down a banneton or something, or is there technique I'm missing?

e: have some bread pics as like, tax or something idk. This was like my third or so loaf.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 17, 2020

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Scholtz posted:

Anyways, what I wanted to ask is: does anyone have a preferred loaf pan that they like using? I'm having fun making boules but as I lock those down, I figure most of my breadmaking will be for making sandwich lunches when school starts back up (if school starts back up...)

USA Pan 9x4 pullman loaf pan w/ cover. That's my recommendation. Here's the resulting loaf following the Joshua Weissman / Babish recipe:

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 17, 2020

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Like riding a bike or algebra, baking is one of those things I should know how to do by now but never really learned. Anyways my wife is getting into baking bread and shes been disappointed by the size/quality of bubbles in her ciabatta. According to her the dough rises just fine but collapses as soon as she turns it out of the bowl. I think it's fine but she asked me to ask ya'll any help would be appreciated.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Based on the above suggestions, the next time I try this I'll:
* Double my kneading time from 10 minutes to 20 minutes
* Bake my baking soda into sodium carbonate instead of just using baking soda in my boiling water
* If neither of those get me close to the result I'm looking for, pivot and either try the rope method or use food grade lye instead

As mentioned, overnight fridge rest is great, if only for flavour complexity more than texture.

Regarding shaping, as dumb as it might sound, just roll them thinner before boiling them. I slice & roll rather than doing punchthrough--(like this). But I assume that's what you meant by rope method.

Skipping/shortening the rest period makes for a slightly denser bagel. It expands plenty during the boiling process.

I don't use egg wash as I've found it darkens the bagel way too quickly. Instead, to make the toppings stick, I just make sure the water is extremely sticky through honey and maltose, but this is definitely Montreal style.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BBQ Dave posted:

Like riding a bike or algebra, baking is one of those things I should know how to do by now but never really learned. Anyways my wife is getting into baking bread and shes been disappointed by the size/quality of bubbles in her ciabatta. According to her the dough rises just fine but collapses as soon as she turns it out of the bowl. I think it's fine but she asked me to ask ya'll any help would be appreciated.

It would be normal for the dough to collapse when you handle it. You want to split up and shape the loaves for some time before baking to get some rise again. Even 30 minutes should be enough. You then want to reduce the handling they get when transferring to the oven. The method I (try to) use is what I saw in John Kirkwood's video where he gets under them with a pair of dough scrapers. If you're going to bake on a pan then you just put the shaped loaves on the pan to begin with, but I think you'll get a more desirable shape if you have something to keep them upright while they rise. I know ciabatta kind of just goes splat but everybody likes it more when it has some height and doesn't look like Jabba the Hutt.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What recipes are you guys using for your bagels? I've been following the Chef Steps recipe and my results have been pretty good (especially flavor wise when using malt powder in the dough and malt syrup in the boil), but I'd like to try out other methods to get some ideas for how I can tweak things. I've also tried the Serious Eats Bravetart recipe but that one is very similar (and inferior imo) to the Chef Steps one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Don't put ciabatta in a basket to proof.
Just kinda stretch it into a rectangle as gently as possible and let it do its thing.
Do it on parchment if your concerned about the dough sticking.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've got my sourdough starter out of the fridge and fed it before bed, as I did last week. I expect it will have shrunk back by morning. Last time I fed it again but I'm going to leave it and see if it deepens the flavour when I make the overnight dough in the evening.

Will that improve the rise? Anything else I can do? I was going to dampen the top inside the Dutch oven.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been making pumpkin/kumera bread lately and been having fun making an over night leven/starter with the steamed veg

Steam to a puree, mix with water ,starter and sugar and leave over night

Then the next morning mix the very yeasty wet into the dry ingredients and carry on

It's pretty cool and splitting up the mixing and starter feed feels like slightly more in line with my schedule

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That is cool as poo poo. Any differences in flavor with letting the yeast ferment the veg like that?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Anyone have a good pumpernickel rye recipe?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

prayer group posted:

That is cool as poo poo. Any differences in flavor with letting the yeast ferment the veg like that?

None that I can notice. Maybe it's slightly more sour in a nice way

My starter isn't particularly sour to begin with

I mostly do it instead of a regular feeding schedule. Normally I feed the starter 100g water and 100g flour every couple of days

I'm finding it just easier to bulk up the yeast with vege nutrition the night before to ensure sufficient yeast power for a rise. I tend to use the water I used to steam in the recipe too because them nutrients

Carrot bread could be cool, they have a bit of sugar in them so could be cool

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

USA Pan 9x4 pullman loaf pan w/ cover. That's my recommendation. Here's the resulting loaf following the Joshua Weissman / Babish recipe:

Second. I have that size and the 13x4 and both produce very nice r e c t a n g l e s, eg.

Before:

After:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Nice ear on my loaf from this morning. Love this Foodbod recipe, it’s so simple and I get consistently great results.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wow that's the closest thing I've seen to a literal ear on bread.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Incredible, looks just like calorie mate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Anyone got a link to one of those pans? I need something like that but fuuuuuuuck amazon is so full of cheap/countetfit/etx crap that I’d prefer a goon approved link.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Sourdough babka recipe from the perfect loaf. Partner has asked for a chocolate one next time.

This is my second enriched dough and first time rolling dough. Next time I'll be less fiddly with the dough so I can roll tighter. I was taking too long and it got too warm so I rushed the roll up. Did an 18hr ferment and I think I can taste the difference. It's like I put sour cream in the mix. Very good with my coffee this AM. :)

Also finally got some yeast so can finally play with yeasted mixes, but I feel like I'll be more bored. Fermenting is so much more interesting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dacap posted:

Nice ear on my loaf from this morning. Love this Foodbod recipe, it’s so simple and I get consistently great results.

Wow. your Foodbod is rising a LOT higher than mine. I'm going to try doing an initial knead with slap-and-fold to see if it helps.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I cut down the bulk time she indicates because my kitchen is typically around 75+ in the daytime, usually to 5.5 hours before putting it in the fridge overnight. The first loaf I did following her recipe exactly overproofed and ended up flatter.

I also tried sticking two small ice cubes along the side of the parchment to try and create steam in my Dutch oven.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dacap posted:

I cut down the bulk time she indicates because my kitchen is typically around 75+ in the daytime, usually to 5.5 hours before putting it in the fridge overnight. The first loaf I did following her recipe exactly overproofed and ended up flatter.

I also tried sticking two small ice cubes along the side of the parchment to try and create steam in my Dutch oven.

Dang that's a lot of bulk ferment! Does that include time you're stretching and folding?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Apologies, I’m probably misusing the term. 5 hours is the total time from assembling the dough to putting it in the fridge. With 4 hourly stretch and folds in that period.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After a month of experimentation, I think I'm gonna put the bread machine back in storage. The recipes are way too complex and finicky, and I can get much more consistent results out of a dutch oven. I still haven't made a true sandwich loaf on my own yet, but the middle 40% of a boule does just fine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
So I have started yet another starter. This one is also growing well; after about 4 days it was doubling. I am now on day 5 or six and it is smelling strongly of acetone, but apparently that is Ok and will disappear with time and/or more feeding. I am feeding it once a day (unbleached organic wholemeal), discarding almost all of it, adding in a heaped spoon of flour, and water to mix - as I always have. It isn't precise but it seems to work.

I got rid of my previous starters because I hated discarding so much; I didn't ascertain a great difference in quality from regular no-knead to sourdough no-knead; and my wife does not like the sourness and I only like a bit of it). It had a decent flavour, and excellent oven spring/rise, so that wasn't the issue.

So, help me please.

1) What can I do to minimise discard? (Alternatively, how much discard do the sourdough crackers posted here use up?)

2) What can I do to make it not sour (while satisfying 1 above)?

3) What methodology is best for a bread that is better than my regular no-knead (with which I am pretty happy) but which is not incredibly labour- and time-intensive? I may be after something impossible with this one - you can't hurry love - but I hope.

Thanks!

PS I started this thread years ago, and it has really come alive with lockdown - it gladdens my heart to see so many people getting into baking.

Lester Shy posted:

After a month of experimentation, I think I'm gonna put the bread machine back in storage. The recipes are way too complex and finicky, and I can get much more consistent results out of a dutch oven. I still haven't made a true sandwich loaf on my own yet, but the middle 40% of a boule does just fine.

A bread machine got me into baking - the results were not much better than shop-bought, which was not good enough for homemade bread (to me, at least). I gave it away eventually. If you want a sandwich loaf, just use your regular recipe with a loaf tin. You don't HAVE to shape your bread into a boule.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

a good sandwich loaf if you want similar to white bread uses like 2/3rd milk, 1/3rd water, some butter, and sugar.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

therattle posted:

If you want a sandwich loaf, just use your regular recipe with a loaf tin. You don't HAVE to shape your bread into a boule.

Won't that lead to a very dry or burnt loaf? My typical method is to preheat the dutch oven, dump the boule + parchment paper into the hot DO and bake it 30 minutes with the lid on, 15 with the lid off.

Edit: I've seen some people use two loaf pans binder clipped together to create a "poor man's dutch oven," but I've got two mismatched pans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Won't that lead to a very dry or burnt loaf? My typical method is to preheat the dutch oven, dump the boule + parchment paper into the hot DO and bake it 30 minutes with the lid on, 15 with the lid off.

Edit: I've seen some people use two loaf pans binder clipped together to create a "poor man's dutch oven," but I've got two mismatched pans.

ive never covered or used steam for my white bread and it's been extremely soft and pretty moist too. you dont cook it to the same temp as other breads tbh. the lower temp the softer/lighter