Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, I didn't say he was a bad person. Just that he's bad at BEING a person. It's not a failure of morals, but of competence.

E: At least he's not Sebastian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waffleman_ posted:

E: At least he's not Sebastian

i'm shocked they aren't getting along better

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sebastian is one of the best eggs in the series, he's just a late bloomer. He's also not an irreverent sex pest.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is Fluorescent Cloth a real thing? this is perhaps more important than my next question

ok so did gregory edgeworth give von karma his penalty in SI-7 or in DL-6? i thought the single penalty of his career was from the DL-6 case and that's why everyone thought von karma took a day off. but it's saying that von karma got his penalty for concealing the fact that they never found a body and forcing masters' confession? maybe i don't know what i'm talking about.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DL-6 is the case of Gregory Edgeworth's murder. So he hardly could've given anyone a penalty during that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We're never told anything about the prosecutor for DL-6, but the verdict was inconclusive, and I'm pretty sure Manfred is one of those prosecutors who never landed anything but a guilty verdict before Nick showed up, so I always took it to mean he was completely absent for the trial itself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah not dl-6, whatever case it was he was working on when they got trapped in the elevator. shields is saying SI-7 was a completely separate case from the one when gregory was killed, but i thought von karma's penalty was received on that day? i guess, i have to play ace attorney trilogy again

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SI-7 is the case where Gregory Edgeworth managed to prove that Von Karma had forged evidence and get the one mark on his Perfect Record. This case wasn't given any details until AAI2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
IS-7 was from before the time were all cases had to be settled in three days max, so it dragged on for a long-rear end time, and while the penalty Manfred got was for mishandling evidence in that case, he didn't actually receive it until after the verdict had been reached.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

is Fluorescent Cloth a real thing? this is perhaps more important than my next question

ok so did gregory edgeworth give von karma his penalty in SI-7 or in DL-6? i thought the single penalty of his career was from the DL-6 case and that's why everyone thought von karma took a day off. but it's saying that von karma got his penalty for concealing the fact that they never found a body and forcing masters' confession? maybe i don't know what i'm talking about.

SL-7 was the case Gregory is dead in DL-6 so it can't be then

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

IS-7 was from before the time were all cases had to be settled in three days max, so it dragged on for a long-rear end time, and while the penalty Manfred got was for mishandling evidence in that case, he didn't actually receive it until after the verdict had been reached.

ohhhhhh ok when exactly von karma got the penalty was confusing, because i thought it was like, the evidence was exposed and he got the penalty. but the penalty coming through would've happened long after edgeworth had moved off the case. that makes sense now.

though i probably should replay ace attorney trilogy anyway lol

e: now, about that fluorescent cloth...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
finally finished edgeworth 2. i thought it was pretty good.

simon felt like kind of a weak villain i dunno. not to say that he's bad, but he's not "final boss" material. blaise probably should've been the big one, figuring out simon before taking him on would've been way more satisfying imo.

i think it was better than jfa but not as good as aai1.

e: i couldnt resist choosing the option where you tell sebastian he's a failure as a human being and immediately game overing that was the most worth wrong choice a game has let me do in years. decades even

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 17, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The White Dragon posted:

finally finished edgeworth 2. i thought it was pretty good.

simon felt like kind of a weak villain i dunno. not to say that he's bad, but he's not "final boss" material. blaise probably should've been the big one, figuring out simon before taking him on would've been way more satisfying imo.

...but he was never supposed to be...?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm just going to disagree on your assessment of the final culprit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
maybe it was just the way they handled the end part of the case, i was expecting/hoping for some brutal quercus alba down to the wire type slug fest but breaking simon's arguments down was quick and easy. his penalties were big but his puzzles were straightforward. i consider blaise a scarier enemy because his corruption is the entire reason simon exists at all, to say little of how taking him down felt like i'd conquered a mountain.

maybe it's not even like a narrative thing, it could be more of a gameplay thing

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There is no known universe in which the first Edgeworth game is better than 2

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Even as someone who didn't hate the final boss of Edgeworth 1, I think the way 2 went about it was much better. I don't think you'll find many people who agree with you that the first one's ending was superior because that final case is one of the more controversial in the series for exactly the reasons you liked it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fight with the final boss of Edgeworth 1 is basically the fight from They Live but with words and it is simultaneously incredible and something they should probably never do again in the series.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I do agree that i was slightly disappointed by the finale of edgeworth 2 (the sequel to edgeworth)

the game does a great job painting a picture of him as an untouchable, super careful criminal mastermind... and then he falls down, not quite in short order, but relatively quickly to some super obvious evidence he forgot to clean up. whoops.

i wanted to feel like i really got one over on him but the game didn't let me. instead i was left feeling like i didn't really do anything and he owned himself in a very uncharacteristic move. kinda seems like the writers were putting themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out a way to nail their own villain without that kind of mistake.

but even after all that, absolutely no way do i prefer the hyper extended showdown with alba to that, lol.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Edgeworth 1 is the only game in this series that I started but never finished.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Edgeworth 1 would be a lot better if case 3 was 50% shorter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Edgeworth 1's biggest flaw is that it didn't do anything with any of its recurring characters. The most notable example is Franziska; we saw her going up against Edgeworth in 3-5 and they had a completely different dynamic than she and Phoenix, but then she shows up and spends the entire game condescending, dismissing and whipping Edgeworth. Edgey himself is fine, but even he doesn't really seem to take anything away from stumbling into a major smuggling conspiracy and taking it down within a week.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IMO, the basic problem of Edgeworth 1 is that it essentially lacks a narrative theme. The theme of Edgeworth 2 is basically about the relationship between parents and children and the need for justice in that. Edgeworth 1 is about... uh... smuggling is bad? I think AA games are at their best when the game has some kind of thematic cohesion to its stories.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Haifisch posted:

Edgeworth 1 would be a lot better if case 3 was 50% shorter.

People rag on the last half of the final case, and rightfully so, but everything in case 3 aside from meeting Kay and Lang for the first time is soooooo loving borrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnngggg

Investigations 1 is pretty okay when it's at its best but it's terminally dull at its worst

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The first time I tried to play AAI1, I lost interest during case 3 and didn't pick it up again to actually finish it for over a year.

I have an AAI1 LP that's stalled out for months because case 3 is so loving boring and drags on so long it's hard to find the motivation to do the updates to get through it.

At least the final case is entertaining in a 'loving seriously?' way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I just finished watching The Disaster Artist, and now I’m imagining...

Miles Edgewiseau

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Case 3 is the one with the picture of Edgeworth getting stalked by the Blue Badger, right? 90% powered by that alone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fangz posted:

IMO, the basic problem of Edgeworth 1 is that it essentially lacks a narrative theme. The theme of Edgeworth 2 is basically about the relationship between parents and children and the need for justice in that. Edgeworth 1 is about... uh... smuggling is bad? I think AA games are at their best when the game has some kind of thematic cohesion to its stories.

AAI1 always seemed to have a narrative theme of connectivity - from all the cases taking part within 12 hours of each other to the way that the history of the Yatagarasu so seemlessly blended into current events.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I liked Badd ☹️

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So Badd... he's goodd.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

HD 4-6 collection when

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man, every now and then I see this thread pop up with like 40 new posts and I'm like "holy poo poo is there finally a new game?"

And it never is.

I could really use a new Ace Attorney right now, world.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

man nurse posted:

HD 4-6 collection when

At this point it really has to be like "might as well wait for next gen", right? maybe launch 1-3 with the new consoles and a few months later we finally get 4-6 and then announce 7 for late 2021. Or maybe now that Capcom is good again it'll be both Great Ace Attorney games coming to the west together.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But the Switch is Perfect for Ace Attorney!!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Terper posted:

But the Switch is Perfect for Ace Attorney!!

Didn't they confirm AA7 was in the works for the Switch back around the same time they said they were working on the HD trilogy?

What happened to that?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure its always been just rumors and maybe at one point saying "the next step in Ace Attorney will be revealed!" about some stage drama or re-release.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No I'm sure they said it's in development. Which, really, isn't news at all. Games can be in a state of development for pretty much as long as they want.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And I’d guess that they’re trying to figure out a new mechanical gimmick for the next game, as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Knowing the way the world is going it's going to require a peripheral and be smell-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Perform Rayfa's divination dance using the two joycons as motion sensors.