Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Yami Fenrir posted:

Are we talking about the same game?

Don't know what you're playing, but in MH:W lance is always somewhere first or second from the bottom in damage and popularity, sharing those prestigious spots with hunting horn. But horn also buffs the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol lance trivializes most of the game for free

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I cannot live without big shield

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lance suffers a lot in iceborne particularly because shield heavy bowgun is just ridiculously better than it. For the long term health of the game hopefully that playstyle will cease to exist in the future

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lance is ludicrously strong especially the clutch counter they gave it in IB

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
All weapons are good. Nobody in this thread is talking about TA speed runs.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lance suffers a lot in iceborne particularly because shield heavy bowgun is just ridiculously better than it. For the long term health of the game hopefully that playstyle will cease to exist in the future

Nah.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I've never tried anything but the charge blade and at this point I'm scared to.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If you can master the "loop" of charge blade then most other weapons shouldn't be too hard to learn. Just need those first few rough hunts to get used to the combos and such.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think I deserve the driveby shitpost, but go off

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I found my new favourite weapon: the long sword.

But even then the game does a real crummy job of explaining the weapon mechanics. I had to go to a third party website to discover I'm supposed to be building levels of charge instead of just filling up my meter and then using it on special moves.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Der Shovel posted:

But even then the game does a real crummy job of explaining the weapon mechanics. I had to go to a third party website to discover I'm supposed to be building levels of charge instead of just filling up my meter and then using it on special moves.

My understanding is that this was a core aspect of the MH experience since the OG PS2 release

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That comic is 100% on the money.

But while I'm here, any other good tips on making the most of my long sword?

Also, while I'm still at low ranks (currently at HR 5 or 6), I guess I shouldn't be worrying too much about my armour, but I still have the sneaking feeling I should be crafting more stuff than my bone armour set. I have at least upgraded it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Der Shovel posted:

That comic is 100% on the money.

But while I'm here, any other good tips on making the most of my long sword?

Also, while I'm still at low ranks (currently at HR 5 or 6), I guess I shouldn't be worrying too much about my armour, but I still have the sneaking feeling I should be crafting more stuff than my bone armour set. I have at least upgraded it.

After a lot of switch axe I tried longsword and love it. The 3 most important things I figured out are:

1. You cut two moves out of the spirit combo by starting it from fade slash

2. Use you (b) on Xbox controllers attack for a quick thrust to be ready for foresight slash faster

3. You can avoid sheathing after spirit slash by going into special stance. Your attacks from there have iFrames with a very tight window right before you get hit. If you land the normal Iai attack at all you get steady gauge charge and can go right into spirit helm breaker; if you land Iai spirit slash in the iframe window you don't lose a level of spirit gauge.

Learn timings and get good at foresight slash. It has a HUGE invulnerability window with no decos, works on everything including roars, and for aggressive monsters like tigrex or barrioth is a much more reliable way to build gauge.

Oh and, when you clutch claw you can do a few B attacks before the clutch claw attack to get the wound without having to clutch twice. Works best with slow monsters.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Thanks, that's good stuff.

On a related note, am I doing something wrong because my long swords seem to have next to no sharpness? Like to the point where my sharpness meter will be completely gone after what feels like seconds of combat. I'm using the Pulsar Shote II if that makes any difference.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

That's me but with Switchaxe. And all the tutorials are either old and outdated or hardcore minmaxing and penned by that Jinx guy that made so many spreadsheets about monster hunter, he fell into a depression.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Det_no posted:

That's me but with Switchaxe. And all the tutorials are either old and outdated or hardcore minmaxing and penned by that Jinx guy that made so many spreadsheets about monster hunter, he fell into a depression.

Yup. There has to be some kind of level between "we're not going to explain even the core mechanics to you" and "here is my doctoral dissertation on Light Bowguns".

I realize a lot of this is probably old hat to people who've been playing MH since the PS2 days, but MHW is pretty much my first Monster Hunter game (or at least the first I've played for more than like an hour) and boy howdy, it's an experience. But ultimately a very satisfying one.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Der Shovel posted:

On a related note, am I doing something wrong because my long swords seem to have next to no sharpness? Like to the point where my sharpness meter will be completely gone after what feels like seconds of combat. I'm using the Pulsar Shote II if that makes any difference.

are you only attacking weak points or are you just taking damage wherever you can get it? Attacking a "hard" part of a monster has a 2x sharpness loss penalty IIRC

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There is an EXTREMELY important mechanic with Insect Glaive where every point of flinch free you have also gives you a free point of tremor resist, windproof, and earplugs so long as you have all three kinsect juices up. The only indication that three points of it essentially gives IG users a mini-rocksteady mantle is the skill saying "Increases some Kinsect extract effects." :downs:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Der Shovel posted:

That feels like the trade off for Longsword being so good; they're all dogshit sharpness. I cannot imagine playing it without protective polish or master's touch.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Somehow they actually managed to make Charge Blade even cooler for Iceborne,so everyone gets to argue about what the second coolest weapon is

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Spuckuk posted:

Somehow they actually managed to make Charge Blade even cooler for Iceborne,so everyone gets to argue about what the second coolest weapon is

(it's horn)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know it's not meta but my friends and I couldn't get over the fact that the Stygian Zinogre horn comes with it's own 80's hair metal pyrotechnic effects. The dragon wave is perfect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know it's not meta but my friends and I couldn't get over the fact that the Stygian Zinogre horn comes with it's own 80's hair metal pyrotechnic effects. The dragon wave is perfect.

Fortunately you can slap that skin on any horn now. I thought I'd do that initially, but I ended up taking a liking to the gold rathian bells. It's got some good heavy bell gongs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

chumbler posted:

Fortunately you can slap that skin on any horn now. I thought I'd do that initially, but I ended up taking a liking to the gold rathian bells. It's got some good heavy bell gongs.

Plus they look sick as hell:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
uh i just did the witcher quest for the first time and it was amazing... it was perfectly spot on, the dialogue, the quest, the character. wow! I was so happy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I can't speak for DPS records or whatever, but I have no beef with kill times on lance, at least once I learned how to play it properly.

I don't see a lot of lance users when I SOS, but when I do, most people play it too defensively, turtling until the monster has a long recovery animation, and then doing a few pokes. Instead of blocking most of the time and poking here and there, they should instead poke most of the time and throw up a counter guard or shield dash when an attack comes, and either charge or dash combo if the monster tries to get away. You can relentlessly hound most monsters with lance, doing a steady stream of damage to offset your lack of big burst attacks. And that's without bringing up the claw counter. :swoon:

That's not to say that burst damage or hit-and-run style weapons are bad. I main lance, but I love hammer too, and it's definitely easier to knock a monster on its rear end with hammer or a powered up switch axe.

As an aside, goddamn the hammer is a mean weapon, even for a game about poaching birds and lizards with 200lbs swords. Doing the big bang combo on a downed monster's skull makes me feel like a dick.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the secret to the lance in MHW is that it's the one weapon where you can just never. stop. attacking. forever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Charge-thrust-poke-poke-counter-poke-poke-hop-poke-poke-shielddash-stabdash-poke-counter-poke-poke etc.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I've been playing with gunlance for a break from the charge blade, it's sounding like I should switch to vanilla lance but the lack of explosions is concerning to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

may i suggest:

hunting horn and switch axe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Twat McTwatterson posted:

uh i just did the witcher quest for the first time and it was amazing... it was perfectly spot on, the dialogue, the quest, the character. wow! I was so happy.

I think this is the first post I've seen praising the Witcher hunter instead of "I HATE THIS WHY DOES ANCIENT LESHEN HAVE SO MUCH HEALTH OH GOD THE JAGRASES GOD drat IT THE PUKEI DIED AGAIN" etc

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think I deserve the driveby shitpost, but go off

Your Computer posted:

the secret to the lance in MHW is that it's the one weapon where you can just never. stop. attacking. forever.

I did this to Rajang before. When it plays nice and decides to stay in the same postal code.

Also, you haven't lived unless you launched yourself cross country with a Claw Counter against a Barioth.

Sure it may not be optimal damage numbers but who cares when you're functionally immortal, surprisingly enough very mobile, a ridiculously easy time weakening monster parts and can launch yourself like a demented slingshot projectile?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

I think this is the first post I've seen praising the Witcher hunter instead of "I HATE THIS WHY DOES ANCIENT LESHEN HAVE SO MUCH HEALTH OH GOD THE JAGRASES GOD drat IT THE PUKEI DIED AGAIN" etc

The witcher quest was fun!

Until I got to the actual fight.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I am not going back to that quest for the sidequests, that just ain't me man. Tarnish my gamer card however you please. It wouldn't be so bad if I could use my actual gear.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The LBG is a good choice for that quest. You can use the mines to clear the jagras, recover ammo to help keep the pukei alive, and the face isn't too hard to reliably shoot.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I just beat Xeno'jiva and started Iceborne right away, not realizing it would auto-complete a bunch of vanilla endgame HR quests. Did I get locked out of anything or are there any cool quests/gear I need to access in a roundabout way now?

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

hahaha well i'm glad it wasn't just me on that note... because holy gently caress that leshen is hard, I died and have to try it again today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I loved the Witcher event thing. It was really fun. The only thing I didn't love about it was repeating it and how it took a long time, but the first run through was perfect and I found it more en oyable than the normal MH experience.