Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If multi GPU is going away does that mean we’ll see more crazy multi slot cooling solutions. Like 4 slot tower coolers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Cygni posted:

1545mhz is the "stock" boost clock for the 2080 Ti, so I imagine some parts will have coolers designed to get them to that number and no further. I would check to make sure you are actually thermal throttling and not throttling because of something else, like power limit. GPU-Z and others can give you that info if you havent already.

If it really is thermals, you can prolly get a tasty boost with a Kraken G12 or an aftermarket air cooler, but nothing is guaranteed. A lot of those people saying "every 2080 Ti should hit 2100mhz" are juicing them to hell and hitting those frequency numbers with things that don't load the GPU at all. You could also just have a pouty die that failed out of Jensen Huang's School for Dies Who Can't Clock Good. So you never know.

It's definitely thermals. It goes a bit higher than where it stabilizes at, but the fans max out and the clocks drop a little bit until the temps stabilize.

The big concern with an aftermarket cooler is I am going to be building in an SFF case, so I am limited to a 2 slot GPU max. If I try to go any wider, it won't fit. If I go for an AIO, I also can't go bigger than 120mm.

Plus, after all that, my plan was to sell the card and upgrade to a 30 series when those drop, so it might not be worth doing anything at all and just living with the lower clock speed. Even with the ~1700's I can get with a noise level I am comfortable with, I haven't found a single game that drops below 60 fps with maxed settings.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you're gonna get a 3000 whatever it's probably not worth the annoyance/expense. Although you might consider straight buying an AIO card next time for your SFF case. The EVGA hybrid setup uses a 120mm rad and an onboard axial fan to cool the bits that aren't the gpu die.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 18, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, one of the big arguments in favor of AIOs in the past for GPUs has been that you can generally port them from card to card, generation to generation. The 3000 series might change that, depending on how the boards are actually laid out, making it a riskier proposition from a value standpoint than it has been.

A 120mm AIO is enough to cool a 2080Ti pretty capably, but if you're not seeing any performance need, why bother?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
As much as I can't stand blower cards, I wouldn't bother with it being somewhat close to a new generation and I'd be concerned about modding such an expensive card. I went with the 'stock' overkill cooler model if only so I didn't need to modify it and take the risk. That and I got an OK deal on it and figured the resale value would be better than a blower card.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

future ghost posted:

As much as I can't stand blower cards, I wouldn't bother with it being somewhat close to a new generation and I'd be concerned about modding such an expensive card. I went with the 'stock' overkill cooler model if only so I didn't need to modify it and take the risk. That and I got an OK deal on it and figured the resale value would be better than a blower card.

I have a blower card and after setting an aggressive fan curve I haven’t had any issues with the thermals. It’s definitely loud but I game on headphones and have tinnitus so that never bothered me too much.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Zotac 1080 Ti refurb for $414

I know a couple people were looking for a placeholder card, this isn’t a bad deal for a year or so until supply of Ampere settles down.

90-day warranty, but most of the cards on eBay are approaching end of warranty if hey have any at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Planting my flag at $500

500 would still be an absolute steal for the sheer amount of hardware you'd be getting. I don't think it's possible to build a computer of those specs for that price. Hell, even twice the price feels like it'd be pushing it. What's a 5700XT go for nowadays? 400 by itself for something that still isn't as powerful as the GPU on the PS5?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Comparing consoles based on next-gen GPUs to current gen lovely value GPUs is a bit silly. The PS5 has the same config as the 5700, but an architectural revision ahead and at a much higher potential boost clock. The 6700 or whatever next GPU AMD puts out with the same core config will likely have higher real-world boost than the PS5's real-world boost, because it won't be as thermally or especially power constrained. I'm not sure to what extent the PS5's boost clocks are real or if they're just Sony putting moonshot clocks that you can only get doing something very limited to make their console sound less underpowered compare to to the XBSeX. The 1825mhz on the Xbox (which is a higher end, more expensive product with a bigger power and cooling budget) suggests that those clocks are likely bullshit in the real world.

That's not to say the PS5 won't be a hardware bargain at release, just not quite as much when compared to the hardware that will exist when it's released.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 19, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

$599. The consoles present a notably lower margin for AMD than their other lines of business, though I don't remember if that was CPU specific or CPU and GPU (ref. some pre-covid investor call Anandtech covered), so its not quite apples-to-apples on what they can afford to provide, and they're going to be taking a bath on the PSUs, but they'll be significantly below a DIY solution regardless (or RDNA2 is going to be AMAZING). There's no way MS or Sony aren't losing money on these, so while you get savings up front you're locked into the ecosystem. But there's no way they'd sell above $599 and you can't even build a 1080p machine for that.

E: as assumed below, for the disk drive version(s).

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 19, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'd guess $449 for the all digital version of the PS5. Sure it's a big loss at sale, but Sony gets to offset that over the mid- and long-term by cutting out the retail stores.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

$50 isn't enough of a price cut. I bet the purely digital version will be $100 cheaper. The paradigm shift is important. Reducing the physical market enough will cause it to retract severely, driving even more people to digital, and making the return even greater.

Hopefully console gamers don't bite. Consoles aren't like PC, where the security of digital purchases is much higher thanks to piracy and competing stores. If the console market goes all digital, it's going to wind up an absolute shitshow.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm also going to guess $599 for the versions with the Blu-ray drive and $449 for the digital editions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The consoles at this point are pretty much intended to make subscription revenue, right? Like that's the model they are shifting to? So whatever they cost up front, plus what, like somewhere between $60 and $600 per year? (Assuming a possible range of $5/month to $50/month - I really don't much of anything about consoles.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Less than the cost of a new phone.

e: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/19/the-ray-tracing-geforce-rtx-2070-is-down-to-384/

Prices starting to slide on the 2k series. They're dumping stock!

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 19, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
$659 USD so they can inexplicably tack on another hundo and make it $995 CAD.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

$659 USD so they can inexplicably tack on another hundo and make it $995 CAD.

Oh the plight of the Canadian Dollar.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

$50 isn't enough of a price cut. I bet the purely digital version will be $100 cheaper. The paradigm shift is important. Reducing the physical market enough will cause it to retract severely, driving even more people to digital, and making the return even greater.
Microsoft already tried a $50 off pricepoint for their all-digital version of the X1S, and it didn't seem to catch on.

quote:

Hopefully console gamers don't bite. Consoles aren't like PC, where the security of digital purchases is much higher thanks to piracy and competing stores. If the console market goes all digital, it's going to wind up an absolute shitshow.
I think this comes down to two things:

1. The ability of console makers to deliver the level of PC-grade backwards/forwards compatibility they've been claiming.
2. The game publishers actually bothering to figure out long-term licensing so titles stop getting pulled from stores.

The first part should be relatively easy, since consoles are basically just tightly controlled subsets of PCs at this point. The second is the hard part, because it requires copyright and trademark lawyers to not be total shitbags who think they deserve to be paid every time someone thinks about the IP they control.

There are so many games that will never get a proper uncut re-release not for any good technical reasons or lack of demand, but entirely because it's not practical to make the lawyers happy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My switch is almost entirely digital only and it's not really a poo poo show at all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lockback posted:

My switch is almost entirely digital only and it's not really a poo poo show at all.

Pirating all the games doesn't count

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I mean I'm all digital nowadays too but Nintendo is already shutting down the 3DS eshop in some countries.

https://mspoweruser.com/nintendo-are-shutting-down-the-wii-u-and-3ds-eshops-in-42-countries/

It's hard to have faith that your console games will be available long term. Steam this ain't.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Less than the cost of a new phone.

e: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/19/the-ray-tracing-geforce-rtx-2070-is-down-to-384/

Prices starting to slide on the 2k series. They're dumping stock!

What happened to the prices of the 1k series when the 2k series came out?
I am looking to upgrade mine (got an AMD card and am tired of playing russian roulette with driver updates) and I am starting to see 1080 and 2070 refurbs at around 400 and trying to decide how much lower they might go.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

joepinetree posted:

I am looking to upgrade mine (got an AMD card and am tired of playing russian roulette with drive updates) and I am starting to see 1080 and 2070 refurbs at around 400 and trying to decide how much lower they might go.

that zotac 1080ti for $413 (now sold out) would have been the type of deal to jump on at this point imho

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Oh the plight of the Canadian Dollar.

Xbox Series Eh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

joepinetree posted:

I am looking to upgrade mine (got an AMD card and am tired of playing russian roulette with driver updates) and I am starting to see 1080 and 2070 refurbs at around 400 and trying to decide how much lower they might go.

Usually there is a bit of a fire sale to get rid of stock but then the prices don't really crater as much as they just kinda line up with the equivalent perf card. I remember the 980ti and the 1070 being the same price for a long time. The 2000 series was kinda weird because it wasn't as big of a jump and the 1000 series was already depleted because of Bitcoin-likes.

The super refreshes were kinda the same but there were some really good deals on 2080 non-supers for a while before they mostly went out of stock.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

wolrah posted:

Microsoft already tried a $50 off pricepoint for their all-digital version of the X1S, and it didn't seem to catch on.

I think this comes down to two things:

1. The ability of console makers to deliver the level of PC-grade backwards/forwards compatibility they've been claiming.
2. The game publishers actually bothering to figure out long-term licensing so titles stop getting pulled from stores.

The first part should be relatively easy, since consoles are basically just tightly controlled subsets of PCs at this point. The second is the hard part, because it requires copyright and trademark lawyers to not be total shitbags who think they deserve to be paid every time someone thinks about the IP they control.

There are so many games that will never get a proper uncut re-release not for any good technical reasons or lack of demand, but entirely because it's not practical to make the lawyers happy.

One of my all-time favorite games is stuck in licensing hell and can't be re-released or much of anything done with it, to my knowledge. Alien vs. Predator 2 was an awesome game both as a single-player and multi-player game, and I deeply resent that it is buried for no good reason.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One of my all-time favorite games is stuck in licensing hell and can't be re-released or much of anything done with it, to my knowledge. Alien vs. Predator 2 was an awesome game both as a single-player and multi-player game, and I deeply resent that it is buried for no good reason.

Of course, it had to be a Monolith developed game. No One Lives Forever suffers from the same issue

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lockback posted:

The super refreshes were kinda the same but there were some really good deals on 2080 non-supers for a while before they mostly went out of stock.

Kind of a subjective and probably tangential question, but in retrospect, did the Super refresh kinda make buying in at the very start of the 20xx line a remorseful decision? (In the eyes of the community overall, I mean). Or was the refresh spaced far enough out that it may have well just been a series release that a 20xx-haver wouldn't have really cared about?

I suppose I'm asking this as I look forwards towards the 30xx line, and that there's no guarantee that there will be a refresh and all that. Just a question rolling around in my head.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Super line had a bit better performance/money but overall you didn't get anything you didn't get out of the original cards, and that's always true really. I think it was spaced out far enough for that.

I think the only one I could see people "regret" is the original RTX 2060 because longer term the 6 GB of VRAM might hurt it more than the other RTX cards, especially with regards to raytracing (DLSS or not) - the GTX 1600 line is not in a performance spot where you'd care that much about it so it doesn't matter there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it would have annoyed 2080 buyers that a 2070 super buyer was basically getting the same card cheaper a year ish later but other than that, meh. The original 20x0 parts were a bad value compared to the prior generations.

The press on the supers when they came out was basically, “what the 20x0 series should have been to begin with”

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I got the 1080 at launch, overpaid for it due to the markup in SEA, and wasn't annoyed when the 1070ti came out. I got to use my 1080 everyday before that.

I will say I'd have waited for the 1080ti if I could go back and do it again though as that would do 4k just enough better to feel a lot better.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Super refresh was one thing that made my recent GPU upgrade have more weird decisions than usual. I ended up waffling between a 2060 Super/original 2070/2070 Super for several weeks, during which time what cards were in stock was fluctuating wildly. It was a bit weird comparison-shopping between three different models of cards when my more usual GPU decision-making process was having a single card in mind and then deciding what company and exact model to buy (like Zotac vs EVGA vs Gigabyte, and which OC version).

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So I got my new 2070 Super to replace my popped 1080. Which is amazing but I have a bit of an issue! High refresh rate is only working over HDMI. If I use Displayport (with both G-sync on and off) its flickering all over the place and losing connection. Is it possible that when the 1080 died (VRM failure) that it hosed the Display port cable? I guess my only option is to source another cable, right?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's certainly the easiest thing to check. It could also be that display port output on your new card shipped busted.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’ve had a DisplayPort cable die before. I mean it’d be weird if it suddenly went bad when you got a new card, but who knows.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Dogen posted:

I’ve had a DisplayPort cable die before. I mean it’d be weird if it suddenly went bad when you got a new card, but who knows.

Less new card and more old card went out violently so i'm wondering if its that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As has been previously mentioned, DisplayPort is a Jenga tower just waiting for someone to make one errant twitch and the entire thing comes down, but still manages to retain some kind of structural integrity despite the bottom five rows being single middle pieces.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, this is so stupid that I have to share it with you guys.

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214163753639514112

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
For gently caress sake. Unplugging it and plugging the cable back in fixed it. PCs are temperamental arseholes and yet I still love them. I wasted an evening of gaming for this poo poo!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

TBH it's amazing display interfaces work as well as they do. They're using a LOT of bandwidth. DP 1.4 has basically the same bandwidth as an NVME SSD's PCI-E 3.0 X4 connection. Except it's going over a 6' cable, usually weaving through a bunch of other wires. It's a miracle it functions at all.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
One last thing and i'll dissapear from the thread for a while. I have the GPU connected via two seperate PCI-e cables. what do I do with the extra 6 pin and 8 pin that are dangling about? Are they a short hazard? Can I just electrical tape the ends and cable tie them out of sight?