Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

I fell down a wiki-hole trying to figure out what the ancient Aztec religion was named. Closest I got was "Teotl" but that's, like, the concept of divinity in Nahuatl.

Sounds like you need this mod.

According to the accompanying Civfanatics page for it, Aztecs get assigned the Tlateomatiliztli religion (when played by the AI).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Culture victory scales based on the number of players, so it’s theoretically still feasible. The number of religions is based on map size, so as long as you quash your 4-6 competitors it could eventually happen through pressure. Domination is obviously gonna be a massive hassle, and Diplomacy will be a complete crapshoot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

I fell down a wiki-hole trying to figure out what the ancient Aztec religion was named. Closest I got was "Teotl" but that's, like, the concept of divinity in Nahuatl.

Don't have to name your religion if you murder all the civilizations around you so there isn't any other religion to compare it to.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Culture victory scales based on the number of players, so it’s theoretically still feasible. The number of religions is based on map size, so as long as you quash your 4-6 competitors it could eventually happen through pressure. Domination is obviously gonna be a massive hassle, and Diplomacy will be a complete crapshoot.

isnt domination super easy since you just capture all the capitols? you dint actually need to conquer all the cities.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Religious victories are really different since the last DLC, the AI doesn't go mad with missionaries and apostles like it used to.
I won my first ever on Emperor on a huge map just a few weeks ago.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

isnt domination super easy since you just capture all the capitols? you dint actually need to conquer all the cities.

That was in response to the guy asking about victories on maps with 30 civs. It's pretty doable with normal amounts of civs once you hit critical mass, but when you get to those numbers, you either need to either hold enough terrain that you don't lose all your capitals to loyalty pressure, or organize one hell of a coordinated strike across the world.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm currently having a pretty great game with Australia, powered by a great starting location. I settled on the coast, between 2 truffles, 1 deer, and a horse tile. So I was just rolling in money super early, built up a huge army of archers and just mowed down my neighbors, taking 6 cities and 2 capitals before I hit some natural choke-points and they finally got walls researched and built. I was playing on disaster level 4, so a bunch of my cities were just getting constantly flooded or volcanoed in the early/mid-game, but by the end game I had a bunch of 7 food/5 production/2 science tiles that I didn't even bother improving. Only real hiccup I ran into was when Norway crossed the nearby sea and managed to take 2 cities while 95% of my army was fighting on the other side of the continent, once I managed to drag them all back, I was able to retake the cities. Though it did wreck my chances to build the pyramids, I was like 5 turns from finishing it when he took the city :qq:

I spent most of the game just barely ahead Kongo (who literally had an entire continent that was just him and a bunch of CS) in terms of science/culture levels until a few of my shittier cities came online and I just loving ran away with the game. Turns out Jet Bombers are really good in the early 1800s

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 16, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Turns out Jet Bombers are really good in the early 1800s

Sometimes I'll be completely peaceful until I get jet bombers and then just switch gears and conquer half the planet.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
On the planes point, I just finished my Egypt game (Diplo victory again... need to turn that off) and Teddy actually deployed Destroyers and fighters effectively against my bombers. I was surprised. It was only really at one city, granted, before he fell apart, but he was going after my bombers actively.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Update, this game is still dumb. I had just taken over about half of Macedonia on my way to liberating a CS because of an emergency, and decided to not bother with conquering the rest of the cities since I got the resources I cared about and made peace.

2 turns later, Alexander pops up and calls me a coward who wont fight to expand my empire. Motherfucker, dont make me come back and take the half I left you

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Brazil dropped a city four hexes from my nearest city, went from happy to declaring war (bringing Norway along for the ride) and I took the offending city. kept it, and got them to cede it to me in peace negotiations.

Everyone except Saladin moves from neutral or friendly to hating me for keeping a population-6 city after its previous owner declared war on me, so I make sure I have a pretty foolishly big army (like 50% bigger than Brazil and Norway put together), and hand out gifts like confetti, but they declare war again within fifteen turns or so. I take Brazil's next city, their capital, and keep it in the peace, too. So naturally everyone gets angsty, with denunciations left right and centre despite me sending out gifts like I'm the Byzantines and they're the Pechenegs, so I build an even bigger army, and this time the French join Norway and Brazil in another war, a handful of turns later.

I get the whole warmonger penalty for keeping cities thing, but is it really so extreme that keeping one moderate city from an aggressor will put you into a spiral of endless wars until you either lose or win a domination victory? Given that neither deterrence nor gifts seemed to make a difference, how do you conduct any sort of limited war strategy?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Endie posted:

Brazil dropped a city four hexes from my nearest city, went from happy to declaring war (bringing Norway along for the ride) and I took the offending city. kept it, and got them to cede it to me in peace negotiations.

Everyone except Saladin moves from neutral or friendly to hating me for keeping a population-6 city after its previous owner declared war on me, so I make sure I have a pretty foolishly big army (like 50% bigger than Brazil and Norway put together), and hand out gifts like confetti, but they declare war again within fifteen turns or so. I take Brazil's next city, their capital, and keep it in the peace, too. So naturally everyone gets angsty, with denunciations left right and centre despite me sending out gifts like I'm the Byzantines and they're the Pechenegs, so I build an even bigger army, and this time the French join Norway and Brazil in another war, a handful of turns later.

I get the whole warmonger penalty for keeping cities thing, but is it really so extreme that keeping one moderate city from an aggressor will put you into a spiral of endless wars until you either lose or win a domination victory? Given that neither deterrence nor gifts seemed to make a difference, how do you conduct any sort of limited war strategy?

I make an early effort to get everyone friendly with me, formalize the friendships as soon as possible, then declare as many alliances as I can as soon as possible. There aren't many options for breaking friendships or alliances (though there are some), and by the time the friendships/alliances expire, the warmongering grievances you've accumulated with that civ will have decreased. Without this early investment in sucking up, they'll have no strong feelings about you one way or another, so they're easily swayed against you. It actually makes sense to me - it's like any other victory condition, some games I have more faith or gold or science and some games I get everyone to love me.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 16, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Assuming that new Brazil city was closer to your cities than the rest of Brazil's, a strategic way to handle the situation you mentioned would have been to return the first city in the peace negotiations, then let it lose loyalty until it reverted to you naturally. Not only do you not get the warmonger penalties, you get era score from flipping a free city.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

Assuming that new Brazil city was closer to your cities than the rest of Brazil's, a strategic way to handle the situation you mentioned would have been to return the first city in the peace negotiations, then let it lose loyalty until it reverted to you naturally. Not only do you not get the warmonger penalties, you get era score from flipping a free city.

Or you could conquer it again and return it to Brazil and that will cancel all or most of their grievances against you. (Maybe not the occupying the capital part, but close.)

You can't really bribe your way out of grievances except using captured cities themselves. "I captured a city in a defensive war! They shouldn't be mad!" is a super common refrain here. Maybe there's a logic there, but the AI don't play that way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That was in response to the guy asking about victories on maps with 30 civs. It's pretty doable with normal amounts of civs once you hit critical mass, but when you get to those numbers, you either need to either hold enough terrain that you don't lose all your capitals to loyalty pressure, or organize one hell of a coordinated strike across the world.

coordinating a massive strike on a bunch of capitols sounds awesome tbh. what else are you even doing with your units?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe I'll do that next time, then. Tomyris is dangerously close to a Diplomatic Victory, and I underestimated how angry people would be when I razed Hong Kong, so in this game I'm probably going to nuke Fascist Scythia then send a spaceship out of the solar system.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Albino Squirrel posted:

I usually go "Cult of ......." for polytheistic civs, like Cult of Viracocha for Inca or whatever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

coordinating a massive strike on a bunch of capitols sounds awesome tbh. what else are you even doing with your units?

I finished up the Australia game I mentioned earlier and coordinated a plan where I managed to take the last 3 capitals in 4 turns

Kongo, you were a hell of an opponent. Norway and Georgia, you're both jabronis

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Has anyone ever seen a real nuclear war between 2 parties? I've seen some minor nuking but I've never seen two civs wiping each other out with nukes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Has anyone ever seen a real nuclear war between 2 parties? I've seen some minor nuking but I've never seen two civs wiping each other out with nukes.

Not among AI, no.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

No, and my suspicion is it's not possible; the AI strategies are too dependent on the diplomatic modifiers, and the modifiers for nuke use are too high, for there to be a way for a genuine MAD war to occur between AIs. Each AI would essentially have to say "I don't care if everyone else declares war on me" and the AI just doesn't do that. It seems like it hits a hard limit where there's no aggressive action left that would leave it with an "acceptable" modifier and so it just does nothing, even if it has nukes with which it could do something.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The only time I've had a nuclear war was in Civ 1, I remember it clearly because it was awesome.

It was the Zulu that nuked every single one of my cities multiple times. I couldn't even fight back, I was done for, I loved it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
The AI has self preservation above all else, so two AIs nuking would result in them both freaking out for their own safety ASAP, and both taking an easy peace treaty.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

onesixtwo posted:

The AI has self preservation above all else, so two AIs nuking would result in them both freaking out for their own safety ASAP, and both taking an easy peace treaty.

You say that, but the AI also sometimes forward settles on me and sends spies to blow up my power plants and launch pads. Why would it do that if it didn't have a death wish?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

The only time I've had a nuclear war was in Civ 1, I remember it clearly because it was awesome.

It was the Zulu that nuked every single one of my cities multiple times. I couldn't even fight back, I was done for, I loved it.

in civ 1 and 2 nukes are just considered powerful units, not special otherwise. yes they say "nuclear weapons" on their diplo windows, but they also say that about their horsemen, spearmen and battleships. no idea about civ3, but civ4 is interesting because when an AI decides it can win, it will ignore all diplomacy and relative power modifiers in pursuit of its goal. which is awesome btw.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

onesixtwo posted:

Self preservation has its limits though. There is a point when they're losing a war where they would rather make you wipe them out completely - and in doing so suffer massive diplo penalties - than settle for peace. It's almost funny when you get an AI down to one city, and while before that point it was offering you all the gold in existence to make peace, now that they're useless and all you want is peace and for them to kindly cede all the conquered territory, now they will grandiosely demand you pay them for peace! Sneaky buggers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

I'm just old enough that I remember Civ II's "Suitcase Nuke" spy mission. It was incredible, but it did have appropriate consequences.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a full-on nuclear war in Civ IV once, and it was the most memorable game I'd ever played. We were all set back so thoroughly that it took a hundred years before I managed to win a space victory.

Just finished my game of Civ VI as Korea with 30 civs on a huge map, and it was great. Scythia conquered a ton of land and threatened to win with Diplomacy or Science, so I nuked them a few times. Just barely won a Science Victory a few turns before Tomyris would have.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

june update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3DSgevRgqc

half the viedoe they bang on about fixes that were in the last update. but also upcoming changes to some religion bonuses; and new factions in that red death thingy. not terribly exciting.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Did they fix the AI ye.... :suicide:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HappyCamperGL posted:

june update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3DSgevRgqc

half the viedoe they bang on about fixes that were in the last update. but also upcoming changes to some religion bonuses; and new factions in that red death thingy. not terribly exciting.

What’s all them bubbles?

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Zarya is in civ?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

chaosapiant posted:

What’s all them bubbles?

It's the effect for the aliens' cloaking thing in Red Death mode.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Alien invasion in a “normal” game, when

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Had a lovely round yesterday doped up after getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

Immortal. Duel-sized continents map. Lautaro vs. Phillip II going for the Reverse Colonialism Steam achievement. (Religion disabled.)

Just made a shitload of frigates and bombed the gently caress out of Madrid. Very satisfying and made me forget that I was bleeding copiously from my mouth.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Update, this game is still dumb. I had just taken over about half of Macedonia on my way to liberating a CS because of an emergency, and decided to not bother with conquering the rest of the cities since I got the resources I cared about and made peace.

2 turns later, Alexander pops up and calls me a coward who wont fight to expand my empire. Motherfucker, dont make me come back and take the half I left you

Nah, that's just Alexander. Dude *hates* civs that are not at war with *someone*. Which means he is inevitably the biggest jerk around.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Heh. I started a Germany game up... and my next-door neighbour was Jerusalem. Sorry buddy, but you're an achievement waiting to happen.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Albino Squirrel posted:

Heh. I started a Germany game up... and my next-door neighbour was Jerusalem. Sorry buddy, but you're an achievement waiting to happen.

Some of the starts you wind up with get pretty ridiculous. Playing as Kristina recently I wound up stuck between Genghis Khan, Tomyris, and Montezuma. I just went ahead and restarted that game immediately.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My current game I was Australia and settled the entire barbarian continent of South America by mid game. Had so much productions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thinking of picking up Civ6 during the steam sale.

I have played a TON of civ1, 3 and 4 and a little bit of 5. I literally learned english through playing civ1 when i was 7ish (im not from an english spesking country)

I decided to watch some civ6 gameplays on YT but im honestly not so sure about the game now. The feature bloat is extreme; 2 different research trees, 2 different types of advisors you assign, a whole bunch of consumable resources, some sort of cards you assign to further customize your government, and an extreme amount of actions you can do beyond attack or move.

What im most skeptical about though is how the game is focused on making a «build» out of all the various customizable things.
Like i watched a gameplay series where the only thing he did was pillaging with boats. Every customizable feature was laser focused on making boats better or pillaging better. He got ironclads before he got the wheel...
Another game he had an extreme focus on «giant heads» whatever that is and conquered the world through tourism.
In both scenarios he did virtually no improvements or build much infrastructure.

What i enjoyed about the civ games was building a bunch of cities, carpet the landscape with irrogation and mines (and railroad!), research quickly and go to war to conquer the whole map. It seems this classical gameplay style is gone in favor of niche builds tailored to specific civilizations?