Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Arist posted:

You're missing the point. You can't control what Joel is doing. You are not Joel. There's a reason the rest of the game (and probably the entirety of 2) takes place from Ellie's perspective after that.

From a while back, but the weirdest thing is the game does let you make a single choice as Joel. At the very beginning of the game you have the option of mercy killing the dude who is pinned down and his gas mask broke or ignoring him. I think they should have cut it because nothing else in the game is like that (or expanded it into a Metro style hidden “morality points” system)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

How did Bioware poo poo the bed so hard from one gen to the next

Everyone quit

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Arist posted:

You're right, but oh god, please, not here, not again

I wish they had listened

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You're going to wish people were talking about TLoU 1, here in a day or two

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShakeZula posted:

I am similarly disappointed, but people are still saying that it's not only coming out, it's on track for release this year. So I remain optimistic in the face of exceptional corporate stupidity.

Hope you have enough optimism for both of us!

morestuff posted:

I hope Squadrons actually plays well because everything in this interview sounds great

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1273763419850670081?s=20

Sounds like a back-button attachment will help a lot though

I don't care if it's overkill I'll be playing this thing on PC with my HOTAS joystick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

precision posted:

Everyone quit
Andromeda was also made by a different studio than the Mass Effect trilogy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

You're going to wish people were talking about TLoU 1, here in a day or two

:emptyquote:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andromeda was also made by a different studio than the Mass Effect trilogy

Plus they did a horrible job with managing it. One anecdote I remember I think from the Kotaku postmortem was that they found this Egyptian dev that specialized in face animations/lip synching specifically and had this like awesome/slick software they made for that. But then Bioware decided to use that animation suite to do.....all of the animation in the game which is why all of them seem so stock and lovely. There was a lot of "lets use the completely wrong thing for each task" going on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, time to kill some dogs, I guess

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus they did a horrible job with managing it. One anecdote I remember I think from the Kotaku postmortem was that they found this Egyptian dev that specialized in face animations/lip synching specifically and had this like awesome/slick software they made for that. But then Bioware decided to use that animation suite to do.....all of the animation in the game which is why all of them seem so stock and lovely. There was a lot of "lets use the completely wrong thing for each task" going on.

I could have endured all the lovely animations in the world if they hadn't turned to the dregs of the Bioware forums to hire on new writing staff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah same here. Maybe I'll pick up TLoU2 on the way, too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh hey Q.U.B.E. is like Against the Wall only it doesn't give me high anxiety. I'd definitely have given it a go sooner but there doesn't seem to be any way to see what the heck a game is all about from the library without actually downloading and running it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Yeah same here. Maybe I'll pick up TLoU2 on the way, too
Sorry I thought about it for a bit and this joke is in poor taste. I'm not going to buy TLoU2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s gone 5am here so I’m gonna sleep but I’ve been absolutely loving TLOU2. The models and especially the animations feel like the new benchmark (the facial expressions are amazing too, almost definitely the best I’ve seen in a game), and the writing/characters are very enjoyable so far. Just spent a good long time in one environment exploring the poo poo out of it because it was so interesting and fun. Can’t wait to play more tomorrow. Definitely GOTY material so far.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TLOU2 first impressions: there's a toggle to disable preorder bonuses. GOTY

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Neo Rasa posted:

I played Andromeda way after it came out, and was forewarned about all the weirdness. So I just leaned in from the beginning and gave my Ryder a cute ponytail and a full-face skull tattoo. It worked amazingly when the expressions would go awry and she'd have a big ol' poo poo eating grin while delivering some weighty dramatic line.

I really did enjoy hanging out with Grampa Turtle though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

Makes me think of the movie What Just Happened starring the movie producer whose director absolutely positively had to make the dog die in the end because of his artistic vision even though everyone hated it and it would tank the movie.

Edit: Not that I think it's going to tank the game or anything, I mean.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 19, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every so often people in here say they sell games after they're done with them when they buy physically. Where exactly are you going to trade them in, because I could get rid of a couple that I'm not really feeling now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

acksplode posted:

TLOU2 first impressions: there's a toggle to disable preorder bonuses. GOTY

Yeah that was a nice touch

lol at Ellie just having a flatscreen and dvd player

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man I wonder if Squadrons will be robust enough to benefit from a dedicated flight stick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like Cyberpunk will get a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5, same as Xbox. Weird they didn't announce it properly and earlier. This is info from today's investor q&a.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Early game spoilers but Omg TLoU2 has a dodge mechanic GOTY

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Squadrons looks absolutely kick rear end. My only frame of reference for power balancing is elite:dangerous and I really like it there. It appears to have a ton of nuance for a $40 title with dedicated single and multi all in vr :wtc:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I just want to buy it digital so I can play tonight but alas, I am a disc weirdo and always will be a disc weirdo and I cannot change that.

Hard to change a preference for discs if you're a disc-liker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nuts and Gum posted:

Squadrons looks absolutely kick rear end. My only frame of reference for power balancing is elite:dangerous and I really like it there. It appears to have a ton of nuance for a $40 title with dedicated single and multi all in vr :wtc:

Engines-Lasers-Shields management was core to the original XW/TF games and like the first thing that someone does in the announce trailer is shifting power to engines, it totally was a bone thrown to old-time fans that "yes remember those games you loved"

I am also intrigued by them talking about using Newtonian mechanics for the flight model, especially since that's not something that's really reflected in actual Star Wars fights. Maybe time to watch some Battlestar Galactica clips for inspiration

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Hard to change a preference for discs if you're a disc-liker

Some folk will spend an extra hundo on the optical drive version of ps5 so that they can continue owning physical copies of the games they paid for; I’m doing it so that I can still get sotted and watch my dvd of Amityville Horror: It’s About Time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never had a Sony console that hasn't encountered disk drive issues, that alone is enough to make me want the digital edition of the PS5 exclusively.

Hell, I can be confident in saying I've ejected disks on my Pro less than a hundred times and the last 3 or 4 times it had trouble getting them out.
And if the game sharing works like it does on PS4, I'll just go halves on any games I want with brother as I do now so we get them half off and can play at the same time on release day without sharing the disk. Win win.

If not, meh.

Shout out to all my old PS1 buddies who only functioned upside down.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 19, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Early impressions of TLOU2: Boy people are not taking Joel being dead well. Everyone keeps talking to nothing like he's still around.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've never had a Sony console that hasn't encountered disk drive issues, that alone is enough to make me want the digital edition of the PS5 exclusively.

Hell, I can be confident in saying I've ejected disks on my Pro less than a hundred times and the last 3 or 4 times it had trouble getting them out.
And if the game sharing works like it does on PS4, I'll just go halves on any games I want with brother as I do now so we get them half off and can play at the same time on release day without sharing the disk. Win win.

If not, meh.

Shout out to all my old PS1 buddies who only functioned upside down.
Yeah, I've had similar experiences across all the PS4s and most of the PS3's I've owned. I can get ultra Blu-ray playing another way if I want to, and I have bought exactly two PS4 games on disk so far this year.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Disc drive chat is giving me flashbacks to the few CD based PS2 games. I think those had problems even on brand new PS2s. Lots of weird grinding noises coming from the disk drive.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Engines-Lasers-Shields management was core to the original XW/TF games

X-Wing came out my junior year of high school. My friend and I had never seen anything like it. We'd played flight sims before, but even late-80s/early-90s military flight sims were very slow-paced compared to X-Wing. It demanded a level of situational awareness that we just weren't used to.

So initially we played in tandem, with one person on the joystick (the pilot) and one person on the keyboard, responding to the pilot's call-outs for energy management (the R2 unit). After a couple of days we got the hang of it and could play solo, but it was actually really fun.

Also you could crack the game's copy protection by just hex editing the binary and changing all the strings that you had to type in to NULs. (I lost the manual after stupidly taking it to school one day, okay?)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The PS2 slim I have at the moment is extremely weird. It won't read dual layer DVDs or black bottom games unless I push quite hard on the solid part of the console above the port for controller number one.

Once it loads the game for the first time after doing that, it won't have any read issues at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh! I had no idea TLOU's DLC was so short -- I think I finished it in about 3 hours. I hope the general maneuvering in TLOU2 feels a little less dated. I swear, this game used to feel fluid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm about to start playing The Last of Us 2: Ellie's Meltdown.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Dishonored 1 good ?

No its brilliant

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Good morning guys and Bugsnax

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The PS2 slim I have at the moment is extremely weird. It won't read dual layer DVDs or black bottom games unless I push quite hard on the solid part of the console above the port for controller number one.

Once it loads the game for the first time after doing that, it won't have any read issues at all.

Look up how to adjust the laser, it’s probably little dial you can turn with a toothpick.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Look up how to adjust the laser, it’s probably little dial you can turn with a toothpick.
Lol yeah that's definitely something that belongs in a modern electronic device.

Edit: Even modern by the PS2 standard I mean.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Lol yeah that's definitely something that belongs in a modern electronic device.

Edit: Even modern by the PS2 standard I mean.

It was set at the factory and not intended as a user-serviceable part. Adjusting it seems to cure disk read errors on aging PS2s; it cleared my problems right up. It’s in the disk drive so you have to open the old fatties up; the flip top lids may give you easier access to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The graphics in TLoU2 are pretty unbelievable in motion - I just stopped playing when you get to the forest about 2 hours in and the environment & lighting looked absolutely phenomenal.