Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i got inches away from a stealth win in Cogmind during one of the early releases, and right before a major balance patch made basically everything i'd learned obsolete

i've never really found the will to come back to it, in large part because i hate item destruction and Cogmind makes ADOM's item destruction look like Crawl's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Out of curiosity, what was the big patch changes? My first win (on default, now known has hardest difficulty) was also a stealthy char. They're still totally the stronger build for getting your first win, and have a ton of fun toys.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've been getting back into Tangledeep, and I completely forgot how relentlessly difficult it is on the default settings. Out of curiosity, how does the game contextualise the 'difficulty' of a class? When a class is Hard, does that mean it's more difficult to get off the ground, or that it's just less powerful / useful overall?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I have been really really enjoying a game called Atomicrops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nneI1SVCFzA

https://rawfury.com/portfolio/atomicrops/

Best description is Enter the Gungeon meets Stardew Valley

It is more of a roguelite but extremely creative

It is on switch and Epic Game Store

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 12, 2020

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

beer gas canister posted:

Just played Haque for the first time, which is also in that bigass itchio bundle. If anyone needs first RL this would be a good candidate. It's pretty easy, health is abundant, but it forces you to consider positioning and mild mob handling. It's fun! https://supertry.itch.io/haque

From last page.

Did you go to your hall of champions or whatever it's called after clearing the game? poo poo gets real weird real fast. the post game was my favorite part of the story.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Caverns of Xaskazien II with another gigantic, Restorative update as per usual every some chunk of months:

https://virtua-sinner.itch.io/caverns-of-xaskazien-ii/devlog/153767/cox-2-ver-09170-release

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zeerust posted:

I've been getting back into Tangledeep, and I completely forgot how relentlessly difficult it is on the default settings. Out of curiosity, how does the game contextualise the 'difficulty' of a class? When a class is Hard, does that mean it's more difficult to get off the ground, or that it's just less powerful / useful overall?

I believe its about the toolkit they have (escape options, AOE, etc) and how hard it is to get off the ground

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
That makes sense, thanks. I'm trying to actually engage with all the secondary mechanics, since I definitely feel like part of the difficulty was not really using the Item Dreams, monster corral, et cetera. I tried a Paladin / Edge Thane build which got a little ways in, but I've fallen back on the Budoka / Bandit one-two punch. Are there any other particularly fun / effective builds people can recommend?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Serephina posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the big patch changes? My first win (on default, now known has hardest difficulty) was also a stealthy char. They're still totally the stronger build for getting your first win, and have a ton of fun toys.

If it's the one I'm thinking of: they made hacking require an even more specialized loadout and instead of just needing to win a dicerolling contest, each hack consumes finite resources (which occupy equipment slots).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

silentsnack posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of: they made hacking require an even more specialized loadout and instead of just needing to win a dicerolling contest, each hack consumes finite resources (which occupy equipment slots).

it was even earlier to that, basically a significant nerf to the radius and drop rate of radar / scanning gear IIRC. you didn't even really need hacking to make stealth work in that release

was ages ago so i don't really remember the details

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Zeerust posted:

That makes sense, thanks. I'm trying to actually engage with all the secondary mechanics, since I definitely feel like part of the difficulty was not really using the Item Dreams, monster corral, et cetera. I tried a Paladin / Edge Thane build which got a little ways in, but I've fallen back on the Budoka / Bandit one-two punch. Are there any other particularly fun / effective builds people can recommend?

One of the ones I really like doing is Sword Dancer / Edge Thane, using buffs and passives to skyrocket Parry chance. It's extremely useful to have every parry counterattack, create a flame serpent, and reduce all your cooldowns by a turn.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
To the person asking about Door in the Woods: I actually really really like it. It's hilarious in that the best way to end most runs is to kill yourself before you go insane. It's maybe the only ASCII roguelike that I find straight up charming to look at, and as mentioned, the tone of it is fantastic.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SaffronKit posted:

Having played a bunch of it (both solo and with friends...) I'd say a combo of Borderlands and Immortal Redneck is pretty much spot on. The gunfeel/play is fantastic, both the characters that are in the game are unique and each have a number of unique builds you can do. The three worlds are all pretty unique and enemies in each aren't just total reskins either. Obvious downsides: it's a game designed to make you play it a ton, the meta progression isn't a suggestion it's kinda loving required. Enemies start doing a pretty ludicrous amount of damage the further you get in, even for some of the non-telegraphed attacks to the point you need the health/shield + damage reduction upgrades to consistently make it to worlds 2 and 3.

That said, the multiplayer is fun and loot is instanced so you can't screw over your friends (too much, if they drop a gun you can totally grab it). Bit more forgiving because there's a team revive mechanic, but enemies have more health so it balances out.

Also, any game where one gun is a literal lizard that barfs sticky grenades and that you slap to reload is A++++ in my book.

That sounds cool - I don't mind enforced metaprogression as long as the core gameplay is good. I'll probably give it a look.

Speaking of roguelike FPSes, I finally beat a Void Bastards run last night :woop: on Hard, too. Thinking about if I want to go again on Hard Bastard, maybe with Ironman; or try some of those Challenges; or shelf it and move on... to, perhaps, another roguelike FPS like Gunfire Reborn up there :thunk:

(edit) I wonder what a Void Bastards speedrun looks like

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got two throne wishes and two throne genocides this nethack game, loving incredible.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Arzaac posted:

One of the ones I really like doing is Sword Dancer / Edge Thane, using buffs and passives to skyrocket Parry chance. It's extremely useful to have every parry counterattack, create a flame serpent, and reduce all your cooldowns by a turn.

As a melee build it’s hard not to soup in some Blade Dancer. Melee as with most roguelikes is harder then being at ranged. One of the easiest ways to help mitigate damage beyond the normal positioning stuff is to stack discipline as that directly increases elemental resistances. It is also worth grabbing the defensive passives in Monk, Soul Collector, and Wild Child to make you immune to crits, a third of debuffs, and get a flat physical damage% reduction.

Make sure to grab escapes, the first unarmed weapon mastery, brigades escape artist and shadow step, and the archers grappling hook are a great suite of get out of jail cards.

Finally the pet mechanism is helpful to pull aggro for most of the game. Honestly the base frog is one of the best pets since it’s mobile and heals itself

My last run through the game was a mostly Spellshaper with basically always on Spell Pen. With auto attacking or repositioning while waiting on being sealed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
...did Void Bastards get anything much added to it? I feel like I churned through it a month or so after release, felt I'd seen all there was to see (it felt pretty light in terms of content) and walked away.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

That sounds cool - I don't mind enforced metaprogression as long as the core gameplay is good. I'll probably give it a look.

Speaking of roguelike FPSes, I finally beat a Void Bastards run last night :woop: on Hard, too. Thinking about if I want to go again on Hard Bastard, maybe with Ironman; or try some of those Challenges; or shelf it and move on... to, perhaps, another roguelike FPS like Gunfire Reborn up there :thunk:

(edit) I wonder what a Void Bastards speedrun looks like

Hard bastard is really fun, the start is tense and brutal as you have nothing but 16 bullets and 2 food/2 fuel so you have almost no option to skip ships and have to get what you can while choosing which couple of you can afford to kill, but I’ve always found a way to scrape through it and get on solid footing. Getting the stunner and especially the upgrade to find bullets in HAB rooms should be your first priority for parts to get, with the first health upgrade also being good. you want to do a WCG ship as fast as possible as bullets are found in the tombs, the restraint pad for the health upgrade can be found in the gene therapy room, and the perk you get out of it could be used to rid yourself of something terrible your character started with.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Memnaelar posted:

...did Void Bastards get anything much added to it? I feel like I churned through it a month or so after release, felt I'd seen all there was to see (it felt pretty light in terms of content) and walked away.

No, but yes, but mostly no. The extent of content expansion is the paid Bang Tydy DLC. There’s been no more paid or free content added. I do NOT know either way if there’s more content planned now that the console port is out.

The real value of Bang Tydy imo is the challenge modes, which are fairly creative, while the additional ship/enemy/weapon is quality but not sufficient quantity.

A couple examples of the challenge modes:
Permanent oil-slick movement and you make pinball noises when you bounce off walls
No weapons, no explosives, only devices. On the plus side you get unlimited range for, iirc, free authorizations.

According to a review,

”PCGamer” posted:

Among the freebies, there's nine new ship types to explore, a new enemy type (the outpatient, a big floaty head that spits exploding proximity-mine bile) and a variety of optional challenge modes available free for all now.

That is all there but sometimes it doesn’t feel enough, in terms of new content. The challenge modes are a lot more noteworthy sometimes.

I like the content they added but I still feel the need for more. One or Two more equivalent expansions of content would be the sweet spot for me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
There is a Zorbus and Crawl release!

:toot:

Zorbus

quote:

Release 33 is out at http://www.zorbus.net

Huge lore update! Some of the old lore books were rewritten and many new books introduced. Massive thanks to Helical Nightmares for help.

Full changelog:
http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.txt

Note:
Save files are not compatible between game releases! You will lose your saved games and previously ascended characters from the save folder!
If you enable the option "Check for updates on start" from the settings, you'll be informed when a new release is available, and asked if you want to update. The check is made when the game is started.
If you install a new release manually, then it's best to remove the old folder before installing a new version.

Crawl

quote:

Friday, June 12th, 2020 19:28
0.25 “Magic Surges Out from Thin Air”
by ebering
We are pleased to announce the release of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup 0.25 “Magic Surges Out from Thin Air”!

DCSS 0.25 features an overhaul of many spells to make spell schools more distinct and positioning more relevant for spell users, a simplification of the miscast system for when those new spells go wrong, a new style of acquirement scroll, and numerous user interface improvements including new options designed to make crawl more accessible for visually impaired crawlers. For a full list of significant changes, please see the changelog for the 0.25 branch.

https://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/0-25-magic-surges-out-from-thin-air

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LordSloth posted:

No, but yes, but mostly no. The extent of content expansion is the paid Bang Tydy DLC. There’s been no more paid or free content added. I do NOT know either way if there’s more content planned now that the console port is out.

The real value of Bang Tydy imo is the challenge modes, which are fairly creative, while the additional ship/enemy/weapon is quality but not sufficient quantity.

A couple examples of the challenge modes:
Permanent oil-slick movement and you make pinball noises when you bounce off walls
No weapons, no explosives, only devices. On the plus side you get unlimited range for, iirc, free authorizations.

According to a review,

That is all there but sometimes it doesn’t feel enough, in terms of new content. The challenge modes are a lot more noteworthy sometimes.

I like the content they added but I still feel the need for more. One or Two more equivalent expansions of content would be the sweet spot for me.

the Extra Upgrades pages being so barren is unfortunate. I feel kind of a "i got my $5 worth... I guess...???" about the DLC and that's a little sad - the game deserves the effort, I think

(e) Maybe it's the barren Extra pages in the workshop/parts lists that makes it feel so paltry :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 13, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/3QMxlOCSaQg

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i got inches away from a stealth win in Cogmind during one of the early releases, and right before a major balance patch made basically everything i'd learned obsolete

i've never really found the will to come back to it, in large part because i hate item destruction and Cogmind makes ADOM's item destruction look like Crawl's

One of the late-2019 updates added "rpglike" mode, which makes item destruction much rarer (80% of damage taken to parts goes to core instead, core HP significantly increased, "protomatter" added as an item you can find which can be used to repair core and/or parts) and rebalances a lot of other stuff around that, so if you want more a traditional "collect items and keep them" experience you might want to check that out.

I haven't tried it yet because I still haven't found time to play Cogmind, since my desktop is basically 100% morrowind/satisfactory at the moment and it's unplayable on small screens like my laptop.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tripped over the gauntlets of defense in Slash'Em as an orc flame mage and got killed by the blasting damage after I got curious about what the dex bonus was.
Feeling great! :thumbsup:

edit: back in my main FIQhack game
code:
T:73314 You named this level: altar + stash?. 
You hear a rogue pronouncing the formula on a scroll of summoning! 
 T:73315 You kill the jaguar!  
         The jaguar disappears in a puff of logic.
 You hear a distant zap. 
T:73316 The invisible rogue hurls a potion of paralysis!    
  The carafe crashes on your head and breaks into shards.
Something seems to be holding you. 
 T:73317 The invisible rogue removes a wand of death from her sack. 
The invisible rogue zaps a wand of death!
 The death ray hits you!    
  But the death ray reflects from your armor!
 The death ray hits the invisible rogue! 
The invisible rogue is killed!  
You can move again. 
I see monster AI and item generation were improved substantially. :stare:

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 14, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Cogmind is top shelf stuff. I appreciate the standard mode for trying something different but much prefer 'rpglike' mode to get my kill dudes > get xp > watch numbers go up fix.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey fitsf I ran into one of your ghosts.
Thanks for the dagger stack and rings! :v:
If it makes you feel better I will genocide a for you later.
Edit: I died

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 14, 2020

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Good news!

unexplored 2 has open beta signups!

https://www.bigsugar.games/beta

Bad news :(

One year epic exclusive :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Harminoff posted:

Good news!

unexplored 2 has open beta signups!

https://www.bigsugar.games/beta

Bad news :(

One year epic exclusive :(

gently caress's sake that's another fig campaign hijacked

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

1: having perma flight in Gehennom is loving amazing.
2: holy poo poo dragons being fast and using their breath weapons in this variant makes me actually want to die, you could hear the benny hill music as I chased one down for like 10 minutes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Junethack 2020 contest is bringing some drama (reposting from reddit)
Apparently ascending on the gnollhack servers participating in Junethack 2000 crashes the gnollhack game session.
Gnollhack server admins manually intervened and now....is any posted (gnollhack) ascension in Junethack 2020 real or legit?

quote:

Junethack fraud

I'm not at all happy that the gnollhack devs (you know, the ones who made a spectacularly crashy variant that originally couldn't be ascended at all) are now creating faux xlogfile entries because they can't fix the bug where ascending it crashes the game. I'm also not at all happy that they never join the IRC to actually discuss such bugs with the other variant developers and most importantly the Junethack administrators who (for some weird reason) decided to include that bug-ridden variant in the tournament. Tommi and Janne, in case you're reading this: see if there is a core file and run that through gdb, it's THE method for figuring out why the game crashed (at least in the case of segfaults). And for the record, scanning the ttyrec of the game that crashed upon ascending shows the message: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointerEnd of recording., indicating that the game displayed that message and then crashed. Maybe you can figure it out from there.

Oh, and I'm also not at all happy that very easy mode games count for junethack, IMHO only normal and higher difficulty games should count. If I were to, I dunno, make a very easy mode for dnhslex and then rack up a couple ascensions myself, there'd be riots, I'm sure. :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/gz4klr/junethack_fraud/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I just remembered junethack is a thing. Can I get an invite?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

The Junethack 2020 contest is bringing some drama (reposting from reddit)
Apparently ascending on the gnollhack servers participating in Junethack 2000 crashes the gnollhack game session.
Gnollhack server admins manually intervened and now....is any posted (gnollhack) ascension in Junethack 2020 real or legit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/gz4klr/junethack_fraud/

For what it's worth I got the creator of fiqhack to do an emergency patch yesterday to fix a problem with the barbarians quest artifact not generating correctly and the server admin said my game was still gonna be legit.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Some games that the thread has mentioned are on sale right now on Steam.

City of Brass is $2.99.
Door in the Woods is $7.49.
Teleglitch is $3.24.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Teleglitch is absolutely outstanding and was a the time a rather unique experience, it's nuts how cheap it goes for.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Klei is having a publisher's sale on Steam.

The best stealth roguelite Invisible Inc is only five loving dollars!

Buy it and steal your way through a future cyberpunk world you nerds.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/Invisible_Inc/

The expansion is only a buck a 50 cents. Go steal from evil corporations goons.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From the creators of Neo Scavenger, a free demo of Ostranauts will be available during the Steam Summer Festival.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/2390796344005049753

quote:

The same demo we showcased at PAX East 2020 will be available for you to try, free, starting June 16th at 10am Pacific Time on Steam. You can get hands-on time with character creation, salvaging, the reactor controls, socializing, and some really early experiments with ship navigation.

Furthermore, I'll be live streaming the demo on the 16th and 17th, likely around 2pm Pacific Time, for anyone who needs help, or just wants to hear me blab as I play the demo :)

So come on over to Steam starting at 10am on June 16th, give the demo a shot, watch a few streamers (including yours truly), and share your feedback with me on the forums or discord. I'm keen to hear it!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I guess Curious Expedition 2 exists and is now out on Steam (early access) - I did like the original but I feel no burning pressure to purchase the sequel.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Has anyone had a bug in tangledeep where the magic merchant buys your common items for 4 million gp? :stare:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just had to abandon a promising wizard in nethack4 because I accidentally converted myself at a cross-aligned altar. :thumbsup:
I can't believe people kept that worthless loving grogshit mechanic in any of the variants, genuinely boggles my mind.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Is anyone else messing with Griftlands? Been playing it for the last couple days. The first character seemed too easy to me and too similar to Slay the Spire, but thats probably cause i have played way too much Slay the Spire. I was going to write it off as a clone, but then the second dude was different, difficult, and cool as hell.

I dig the setting a lot too; Hopefully they'll make something else in that universe in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I picked Griftlands up the other day.

In terms of art, music, polish etc this is fantastic. Lots of nice animations, cool character designs and so on, by far the best in it's genre.

For gameplay, it's hard to figure out yet. I've only played the first character, and it kinda feels like there's not enough cards/interesting builds, but I also have hardly unlocked or played anything so maybe this is intentional, so you're eased in. I really like it so far though, hoping that it has plenty of content.