Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I laughed at "trout thins" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fojar38 posted:

I disagree. One of the things that makes the whole dinner-party scene of that episode so brilliant is just how real and believable it is in depicting the final death throes of a failed marriage. The thing they cut is trying too hard to be "wacky" and it would have ruined it.

It still would've been better than anything the show's done recently, but yeah, it was not up to the standards of golden age Simpsons.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

It's an ending. That's enough.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CommonShore posted:

I laughed at "trout thins" though.

Yeah that's a quality bit, but sometimes even good jokes need to be cut so the overall flow of the show is maintained.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, that whole thing seems pretty distracting from the otherwise believable relationship breakdown. The point of the episode isn't about why their marriage falls apart, but the how and the effects it has on the people around it.

Besides, they do enough to establish Kirk is a jerk who's taking her entirely for granted, which also makes Homer self-conscious because he sees a lot of the same behaviour in himself.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

TheMostFrench posted:

For anyone not following the IOSM thread

lol
https://twitter.com/karlmorx/status/1273293923302150153

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

:vince:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm assuming this has been done like 16 times before, but whatever, here's my version:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fojar38 posted:

I disagree. One of the things that makes the whole dinner-party scene of that episode so brilliant is just how real and believable it is in depicting the final death throes of a failed marriage. The thing they cut is trying too hard to be "wacky" and it would have ruined it.

Agreed, it is fun to read a script from the golden age but it changes Kirk from a sad sack who doesn't know how to manage a cracker factory into an arsonist. Plus if the cracker factory had burned down, we wouldn't have gotten the "I don't recall saying good luck" scene.

hahahahaha ah yeah

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/JuiceSimpsons/status/1273648842240593921?s=19

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jesus christ, lol.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

That site was started by a goon as well so this is like a double callback

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hahahahahaha love it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

That site was started by a goon as well so this is like a double callback

Finally, a good Goon Project.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:wtc: lol

:vince:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Will Milhouse do one thing for me is inspired. I love the thumbnail of Bart too, it looks like he’s got Grampa’s dentures in.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

IUG posted:

Finally, a good Goon Project.

Imagine four statues of slavers on the edge of a cliff....

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:golfclap:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oh my god Nelson Mendoza i'm dying

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hahahahahah

You really are gifted, you know that, right?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

holttho
May 21, 2007

Gat dang!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

holttho posted:

Gat dang!

Excuse me, sir, but he is in fact on fire.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Excuse me, sir, but he is in fact on fire.

You must be mistaken - I’ve been told he’s inflammable.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

https://twitter.com/davidiserson/status/1273700755245948928?s=19

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Carlkissingfingers.jpg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly, the Simpsons probably coulda used more young adult characters rather than have Bart and Lisa basically act like teenagers, though that probably wouldn't have helped much, and I think they got all that out of the way with Futurama anyway.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, the Simpsons probably coulda used more young adult characters rather than have Bart and Lisa basically act like teenagers, though that probably wouldn't have helped much, and I think they got all that out of the way with Futurama anyway.

that was specifically one of the reasons bill & josh went on to make mission hill: there were basically no young adults in springfield beyond like, otto

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think that's why Golden Age Simpsons stuff has a halo of wholesomeness, because it never really had to deal with uglier puberty/young adult topics until it ran out of other plots to do. Bart and Lisa could go on teen adventures but could fall back on being innocent children (e.g: never worry about the horrors of dudes hitting on teen Lisa or teen Bart trying to get laid), while Marge and Homer could deal with being middle-aged and only have to visit young adult stuff for flashbacks.

Mission Hill was ok but being real a lot of it has aged really poorly and it's super-obvious why it didn't last-- it's remarkably sappy and toothless for a show about young adults.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^^^ aren't Homer and Marge supposed to be late 30s?

If the show updated Otto like they retcon Homer, he would have gone from an 80s buttrock guy to a nu,-metal guy to a ...dubstep guy? Maybe full circle back to classic rock guy idk

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I think that's why Golden Age Simpsons stuff has a halo of wholesomeness, because it never really had to deal with uglier puberty/young adult topics until it ran out of other plots to do. Bart and Lisa could go on teen adventures but could fall back on being innocent children (e.g: never worry about the horrors of dudes hitting on teen Lisa or teen Bart trying to get laid), while Marge and Homer could deal with being middle-aged and only have to visit young adult stuff for flashbacks.

Mission Hill was ok but being real a lot of it has aged really poorly and it's super-obvious why it didn't last-- it's remarkably sappy and toothless for a show about young adults.

it didn't last because whatever channel it was on (UPN? can't remember) never gave it an actual shot, between it being greenlit and it finally airing the channel had fully committed to being a channel for buffy-style teen dramas and that meant they gave zero shits about airing an animated sitcom, so they ran two episodes with minimal promotions before cutting it, ran six more episodes in the summer for legal obligations and then canned it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uh-huh, that's why it found a second life on Adult Swim when it was airing alongside Futurama and Family Gu--oh wait that's right. It didn't. Because it was sappy and toothless crap. It wasn't a good show. The episode with the gay couple and the Ed Wood homage was cute and there were the hints of a better show that could grow out of what was there, but it wasn't gonna happen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'sappy and toothless first season means it would've always been bad if it kept going' is a bold stance to take in a simpsons thread

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I thought Mission Hill failed because it was too Kafkaesque

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Mission Hill because I felt it made fun of hipsters the appropriate amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Lone Goat posted:

I thought Mission Hill failed because it was too Kafkaesque

No it was because of all the meat touching.