Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hambeet posted:

Hey was the Tiberian arc planned from the beginning, with like the Scrinn and all that, or did they just make it up as they went like Lost?

To a degree there was some planning, or at least the games and writers respected the previous games every time they went forward from Dawn to Sun, and from Sun to Wars.

In Dawn it was planned that Tiberium came from outer space and Kane was enigmatic/immortal. The supposed "Scrin" ship in one corner of a GDI map turned out to be a wonky crashed helicopter.

In Sun it was definitely planned there would be an alien force at some point with the Scrin vessel, and they ran with it with Wars by introducing the Scrin as a third army.

In Tiberium Disappointment I have no idea what happened because I got the multiplayer beta and then did my level best to suppress those memories, never paid for/played the proper thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tiberian Sun was not well received on release because a lot of features that were promised never made it into the final game. A casualty of short development time. Think I was still buying game magazines at the time and hadn't bought an issue which previewed the game, so I thought it was grand.

The only bit I'm really sad was cut was a system for carrying troops over from one mission to the next, similiar to what was implemented in Dawn of War 2 Dark Crusade.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I remember there being massive hype around TS (omg voxels!!!!!) but kid me didn't care at all once it came out. The atmosphere and setting is probably my favourite, especially in the expansion when tiberium's fuckery with native ecosystems really goes into overdrive. At one point I think it's mentioned that intercontinental shipping is impossible because of tiberium goop in the oceans.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I definitely think TS has my favorite aesthetic of the whole C&C series. I love the way the future tech and units look, and I love the whole bleak, pre-apocalypse (or maybe during-apocalypse) theme of everything. It’s still my least favorite of all the pre-Generals games for two reasons: an extremely brown color palette and the gameplay being a complete and utter slog. Everything moves at a glacial pace—the units moved slowly, the missions took forever and often demanded that you destroy every single laser fence post to win, and the maps were like at least twice the size of anything in RA. Every base-building mission played out the same: take forever to build up a slow-assed army, have it leisurely crawl over to the other side of a giant brown map, then ever-so-slowly dismantle the enemy base (don’t forget the fence posts!). When the devs for RA2 said that they emphasized speed in the lead-up to the games release I thought to myself “thank god they’re doing the polar opposite of TS”

tldr; I like everything about TS except actually playing it :v:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
TS had dynamic lighting.

Notice how RA2 didn't?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Prism weapons aren't dynamic lighting?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Red Alert led to either Red Alert 2 if the Allies won or Tiberian Dawn of the Soviets won, but the cool theories about where c&c was going before the Westwood was taken over by EA involved how Kane and maybe also Yuri possibly time-traveled back to initiate the events of Red Alert and Red Alert 2 in the first place in a way where causality paradoxically loops through both of the different timelines.

Alkydere posted:

The supposed "Scrin" ship in one corner of a GDI map turned out to be a wonky crashed helicopter.
I'm goin with the classic interpretation of that sprite over the remaster enhancement. :colbert:
With that exception, this remaster has been pretty much perfect. Switching back and forth, the new graphics absolutely look like the intent of the original artists. The bonus features and things like the N64 and PSX missions are just a ridiculous level of fan service.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 19, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'm replaying parts of TS now and the speed is really off, yeah. If you put it on medium everything goes really frikkin slow. Put it on fast or faster and the lack of attack-move combined with fragile units really fucks you over sometimes, leading to massive losses when you're not looking for a moment. This lead to spamming durable units instead of toying around with the rest, so it's ticktanks / titans all the way, with some artillery/air to back it up.

I do think tib sun has the best atmosphere of all the games by far. It's the most serious entry in the series and the world feels properly hosed. The ambient 'storytelling' with the villages and tiberian wildlife is very cool. The scripting feels more advanced than even the latter games, like when NOD troopers are loving around with the tib fiends and you kill them and the good doggos help you out... nothing like that has been in the games ever since.
CnC3's world and cutscenes feels like disneyland by comparison, even though the world is literally ending and being ripped apart by the time that game is over. Even the settings deep in the red zone feel less hostile compared to most tib sun maps!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

TS had dynamic lighting.

Notice how RA2 didn't?

Is that why TS played at a snail’s pace and RA2 didn’t?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fruits of the sea posted:

Tiberian Sun was not well received on release because a lot of features that were promised never made it into the final game. A casualty of short development time.

According to the post mortem they wrote about it it wasn't due to dev time, it's just that the features didn't work and several of them had been announced without checking whether they were feasible at all, Molyneux-style. As for the "short" development time, they extened it by nine months, for a total of three years which hardly seems short for the time (Starcraft took the same time), and it still wasn't enough. They don't say it was too short for what they planned, they say they planned things that they thought would be trivial and weren't (How complicated would it be to switch to isometric? Surely there can't be that many bits of the engine hardcoded to assume screen aligned tiles? Right? Right?).

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I also remember TS being considered a disappointment on release; was part of that because people were still riding high on StarCraft?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Chev posted:

How complicated would it be to switch to isometric? Surely there can't be that many bits of the engine hardcoded to assume screen aligned tiles? Right? Right?).
:v:

Didn’t Starcraft have some setbacks in development as well? I remember seeing some old screenshots where it looked a lot more like Warcraft 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
TibSun will always be my favorite, even if it has a raft of fairly wide-ranging flaws.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Orv posted:

TibSun will always be my favorite, even if it has a raft of fairly wide-ranging flaws.

Same, OP.

It also has the most memorable scene of the entire series in the NOD campaign.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Very happy to hear that my 5ish year old brain was not alone in reading that sprite as being some sort of alien craft or pod. I ALWAYS wanted to know more about it or know what it was.

Also, TS is my fave moodwise and really want it remastered. I played through a lot of it and Firewall a few years ago, absolutely agree that it is slow paced, but so is a lot of the rest of the series.

RA2 plays better for sure, but the GI Joe style cartooney anesthetics puts me off it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TS is definitely sluggish but the image of titans plodding through tiberium fields in mutated wastelands is a strong one. I’ve played better RTS’ but TS and Company of Heroes are the only ones that really sold me on their setting.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I was one of the kids who really, REALLY bought into the hype of TS. The hype machine was incredibly well oiled even back then, countless magazine previews talked about how revolutionary the game will be, with all these new features. My family actually went on vacation during the release window and I nagged and cried enough for them to cut it short by one day, I was that kind of lovely brat back then cause I couldnt wait another fukken day to play the ~best strategy game ever~

The disappointment was... incredible. The game was good, but just that. I still feel poo poo about my temper tantrum to this day and thats why I have a love/hate relationship with the game pretty much. I loved the expansion a lot, but the base game leaves a lot to desire.

Edit: The straw that broke the camels back for me as a kid were TV ads for the game that ran while we were on said vacation. I HAD to play this game, right this minute. :smith:

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 19, 2020

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I started Twisted Insurrection to scratch that TS itch, and it absolutely is both too slow and too fast. Infantry do good damage and are worth building, however, flame tanks and the wolverine-equivalent mechs will absolutely wreck their poo poo in seconds if you don't click fast enough.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

TS as has been said was insanely atmospheric, but my biggest issue was that some of the individual units are just... ugly. Like the Titan is a fantastic design, but its actual representation in-game is not so much. Similar problems with Nod's flame tank and their stolen Scrin fighter that I'm blanking on the name of. I missed out on all the hype because at the time I wasn't paying attention to any of that stuff so I wasn't really let down at all, and I honestly enjoyed the slower pace (I always liked the Tiberian games more than their RA counterparts), but man that game was just hard to look at sometimes.

Well, that and hunter-killers. gently caress those things.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's really weird how fast/slow the early C&C games are. If you look the other way for a second your 100-strong infantry force will be squished by a light tank. But on the other hand, it'll take literaly minutes for that infantry force to cross some campaign maps on the default speed setting (medium). Rocket soldiers absolutely decimate armour in TS, but flames or grenades will kill them basically instantly. If you mix the wrong infantry the whole group explodes if the wrong enemy sneezes on them. If you mine out most tib/ore after the first like 8 minutes your income slows to a crawl. Units get damaged real quick but healing is either really fiddly (repair pads) or really slow (medics). Air units are fragile as hell but if you mass enough you can shortcut basically every mission by deleting their con yard with them.

and if you put the game on the fastest setting one misclick will lead to your entire army walking through an entrenched position and dying in a manner of seconds.

Still, this poo poo owns. I'm still hoping an attack-move mod will come out for CnC Remastered though, it would solve a lot of my problems with fiddly controls.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

gary oldmans diary posted:

Red Alert led to either Red Alert 2 if the Allies won or Tiberian Dawn of the Soviets won, but the cool theories about where c&c was going before the Westwood was taken over by EA involved how Kane and maybe also Yuri possibly time-traveled back to initiate the events of Red Alert and Red Alert 2 in the first place in a way where causality paradoxically loops through both of the different timelines.
I'm goin with the classic interpretation of that sprite over the remaster enhancement. :colbert:

Also as a kid I was convinced that what you saw on the map was a crashed alien ship.

It never occurred to me that it was an Orca, until the remaster.

But then it raised further questions. Like they are all over the map on the GDI mission where you use the Orca for the first time.
But the map is already littered with crashed hover fighters. Is this where all the test ones crashed?
How lethal is this craft?
Is this why we never see Morello again?

I also loved that someone made a mod to change the Sprite for the remake into really looking like a crashed space craft.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think Starcraft was the first "modern" RTS where the basic marine was kind of powerful but also still sort of squishy, but not enough to be useless. It also helps that units in SC react a lot better to microing, especially in TD and RA the 5 per tile thing leads to weird issues where riflemen in the back of a tile cant shoot at enemies that are attacking the tile they're in because their range is abysmal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sheen Sheen posted:

Is that why TS played at a snail’s pace and RA2 didn’t?

Doubt it. But I think it was the game's fairly muted palette that allowed the lighting to pop the way it did in Tib Sun- it would just have gotten lost in RA2's riot of colour.

Samopsa posted:

I do think tib sun has the best atmosphere of all the games by far. It's the most serious entry in the series and the world feels properly hosed. The ambient 'storytelling' with the villages and tiberian wildlife is very cool. The scripting feels more advanced than even the latter games, like when NOD troopers are loving around with the tib fiends and you kill them and the good doggos help you out... nothing like that has been in the games ever since.
CnC3's world and cutscenes feels like disneyland by comparison, even though the world is literally ending and being ripped apart by the time that game is over. Even the settings deep in the red zone feel less hostile compared to most tib sun maps!

Orv posted:

Wrr posted:

Also, TS is my fave moodwise and really want it remastered.

power crystals posted:

TS as has been said was insanely atmospheric

:yeah:

FrickenMoron posted:

I think Starcraft was the first "modern" RTS where the basic marine was kind of powerful but also still sort of squishy, but not enough to be useless. It also helps that units in SC react a lot better to microing, especially in TD and RA the 5 per tile thing leads to weird issues where riflemen in the back of a tile cant shoot at enemies that are attacking the tile they're in because their range is abysmal.

I've been wondering if C&C's squishy infantry wouldn't have better suited a game with something like Sup Com's scale. Something where you're regularly pushing hundreds or thousands of the guys around the map and designing elaborate production chains to pump them out en masse.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fruits of the sea posted:

:v:

Didn’t Starcraft have some setbacks in development as well? I remember seeing some old screenshots where it looked a lot more like Warcraft 2.

This shot? I remember it from some magazine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jesus gently caress, my eyes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Being able to run over infantry in tanks seems a rare thing in RTS in general

e:

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 19, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

hambeet posted:

This shot absolutely was in magazines here too back in the day. I still don't get the colors, It feels almost EGA.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

like you can see all the elements.. the larvae, the overloads, hive, etc.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

hambeet posted:

Wowzers!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Doubt it. But I think it was the game's fairly muted palette that allowed the lighting to pop the way it did in Tib Sun- it would just have gotten lost in RA2's riot of colour

I don’t think TS’s “dynamic lighting” really enhanced the way the game looked at all. Like, my first reaction to the original quote of “notice how TS had dynamic lighting and RA2 didn’t” was “....no?”

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
TS lighting was supposed to have more game mechanics, stealth options with those light towers on base entrances playing a larger role in the game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The magazine ads for TS doctored in fake lighting effects so their actual presence in the game was a little underwhelming

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sheen Sheen posted:

I don’t think TS’s “dynamic lighting” really enhanced the way the game looked at all. Like, my first reaction to the original quote of “notice how TS had dynamic lighting and RA2 didn’t” was “....no?”

My memories of Tib Sun are dominated by the sickly green glow of the tib fields lighting post-apocalyptic gloom.

Thinking about it, I suppose I don't know if that was actually dynamic or baked. Still, gorgeous aesthetic.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah TS might have been flawed but as a kid it was amazing. I think RA2 edged it out a bit in terms of gameplay for me, but the aesthetic, even now, feels pretty unique. Someone said it was 'during-apocalypse' as opposed to post, which sums it up nicely. It wasn't the usual run down, ruined scrap aesthetic of the many post apocalypse games, but it really did sell the feel of the world crumbling.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

hambeet posted:

Spawn more 8-Bit Overlords!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Also, it's good to remember that many PCs couldn't run TS properly at launch. It was a massive resource hog for its time. So, you had "incomplete" features, a surprisingly ugly game compared to Starcraft and other contemporary games, coupled with really bad performance. The hype worked against it as well, once people started playing it and proper reviews came out.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

drunkill posted:

TS lighting was supposed to have more game mechanics, stealth options with those light towers on base entrances playing a larger role in the game.

I do remember reading about this. In general a feel like a lot of games that came out back then ended up being significantly different than video game magazine previews would have you believe (like those crazy StarCraft images), more so than today. I think Fallout Tactics came out in the late 90s/early 2000s, and I distinctly remember in-game images on the back of the box and in magazines that 100% did not show up in the game (weapons, armor, and character models that were probably from an earlier build of the game).

I also remember the manual for C&C Generals said that the Chinese basic infantry had a bayonet melee attack that definitely was not in the final game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Gloomy" is definitely how I remember TS. Re-reading the high-level story of the Tiberium Series and what i remember of TS definitely feels in line with the peril/direness of what was happening.

Like in particular a memory of that game that has stuck with me was the ion storms. They helped sell the "poo poo has gone kinda bad" vibe. But I also specifically remember the mission where you play as GDI during an ion storm and your tech tree is limited since ion storms prevent hover vehicles from working (and aircraft as well?) ...but by this point in the campaign, I had started cheating since I wasn't good enough to beat missions legit, and many missions ago I used an editor to make hover MRLS insanely strong (after a unit mission gave me mostly just hover MRLS) but in subsequent missions I think I used the editor to also make it so I could always build my OP hover MRLS, including in the aforementioned ion storm mission.

Only they'd come out of the weapons factory and immediately get sucked to the ground. On the upside, I had very powerful base defenses at that point.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The weather and environmental effects of Tiberian Sun were really good but largely unexplored. Likewise, the amphibious units were cool but there was barely a use for that functionality most of the time. C&C 3 moved away from those elements, and maybe that was for the best because if you can't fully deliver on them, then they come off as weak. But it'd be nice to get a Tiberium game that had the best of both C&C 3 and TS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I will never be able to tolerate the sound effect used for missiles/rockets in Tiberian Sun.