Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Started playing GTNH again and I noticed there's a 'Special' keybind in controls under Gameplay. Anyone know what that's for? And also, the key.control entry..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I just installed some ram on my computer, totaling up to 16GB total.

Trying to find a decent magic/like modpack that doesn't go into hardcore difficult stuff or lean heavily into automation. Any suggestions as to which new ones are decent?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

Started playing GTNH again and I noticed there's a 'Special' keybind in controls under Gameplay. Anyone know what that's for? And also, the key.control entry..

Press the button and find out

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I managed to unfuck my account shenanigans with legacy account linking and whatnot, looking to get into a bit of modded Minecraft again.
Is Yogbox 2.0 the kind of one-size-fits-all type of deal where I have Thaumcraft, Technic stuff and a bunch of QoL mods like back in the day?

/edit:
Christ, I can already feel my old Minecraft habits returning, if even a single thing is missing, I start getting annoyed with the modpack. I figured WAILA or some mod with similar functionality would be part of Yogbox 2.0, but I either can't turn it on, or it's been removed from the pack?

/edit:
According to the change-log, WAILA was added to Yogbox and never removed, so it should still be in there, but it's disabled by default and can be turned on with Numpad1...except Numpad1 does nothing for me.
I'm also reading that NEI should have a similar feature, and since that's definitely in Yogbox, I'm now only having trouble finding the drat option "highlight tips" in all the different menus

Just show me what block I'm looking at already, yeesh

:negative:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 14, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I managed to unfuck my account shenanigans with legacy account linking and whatnot, looking to get into a bit of modded Minecraft again.
Is Yogbox 2.0 the kind of one-size-fits-all type of deal where I have Thaumcraft, Technic stuff and a bunch of QoL mods like back in the day?

/edit:
Christ, I can already feel my old Minecraft habits returning, if even a single thing is missing, I start getting annoyed with the modpack. I figured WAILA or some mod with similar functionality would be part of Yogbox 2.0, but I either can't turn it on, or it's been removed from the pack?

/edit:
According to the change-log, WAILA was added to Yogbox and never removed, so it should still be in there, but it's disabled by default and can be turned on with Numpad1...except Numpad1 does nothing for me.
I'm also reading that NEI should have a similar feature, and since that's definitely in Yogbox, I'm now only having trouble finding the drat option "highlight tips" in all the different menus

Dont know if the yogbox has Controlling installed but you can look up conflicting keybinds and probably have to rebind the multiple functions on num1. I don't think the Yogscast are really......a thing anymore after the kickstarter fiasco. Currently the big kitchensink modpacks seem to be FTB Infinity Evolved or All the Mods (pick appropriate version for your desired minecraft version). Direwolf20's pack also seems to still be around

Xun fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 14, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Xun posted:

Dont know if the yogbox has Controlling installed but you can look up conflicting keybinds and probably have to rebind the multiple functions on num1. I don't think the Yogscast are really......a thing anymore after the kickstarter fiasco. Currently the big kitchensink modpacks seem to be FTB Infinity Evolved or All the Mods (pick appropriate version for your desired minecraft version). Direwolf20's pack also seems to still be around

Oddly enough, I have nothing mapped to Numpad1, but there's also no Waila section in the controls, or any other option that would affect what I'm looking for.
I feel like I've also clicked my way through every single NEI submenu, and I cannot, for the life of me, find the highlight tips option.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oddly enough, I have nothing mapped to Numpad1, but there's also no Waila section in the controls, or any other option that would affect what I'm looking for.
I feel like I've also clicked my way through every single NEI submenu, and I cannot, for the life of me, find the highlight tips option.

If you're actually using NEI and not JEI, I kind of suspect that the wiki about that might be really out of date. Modern "NEI" is just an addon to JEI nowadays. Also which version of minecraft/yogbox are you using?

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 14, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:

/edit:

I've literally never heard of Yogbox 2.0 before your mentioning it now. Probably because it's on Technic, which is the old bad platform service I'd only ever recommend to use to play Blightfall because there's no other choice of where to obtain it.

Grab the Twitch app or GDLauncher, look up Enigmatica 2 or FTB Academy.

Appoda posted:

Hi, I haven't played Minecraft since well before it went 1.0. Got back into it recently, and I'm one of those nuts who maxes out plugins for skyrim.

I have no idea where to start with modding for Minecraft. Are there any mod packs that are generally well-regarded that I should start with?

Again, FTB Academy is what you want. Alternatively, jump over to the Private Servers forum and take a look at the goon server posts there, if you want to play with other people around for inspiration/help.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 15, 2020

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hi, I haven't played Minecraft since well before it went 1.0. Got back into it recently, and I'm one of those nuts who maxes out plugins for skyrim.

I have no idea where to start with modding for Minecraft. Are there any mod packs that are generally well-regarded that I should start with?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Appoda posted:

FTB and its variants are the usual grab bags. Stuff like Dungeons Dragons and Space Shuttles can do a good job of guiding you through all the new poo poo with quests but opinions on that can be quite varied.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Quests like these are what make playing GT New Horizons totally worth it.

to sinfully get above a ceiling you really shouldn't.... roflmao

On day 237, still midway into the LV age and I am just having boatloads of fun. On my third restart over 2 years and I think this is about the best time to get into the pack..

admittedly I have been playing on peaceful difficulty since about day 80. I will need some ender pearls soon and other stuff so probably gonna gear out for combat, establish a perimeter around my base and some safe areas then turn it on easy.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:chloe:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ambaire posted:

Quests like these are what make playing GT New Horizons totally worth it.

On day 237, still midway into the LV age and I am just having boatloads of fun. On my third restart over 2 years and I think this is about the best time to get into the pack..

admittedly I have been playing on peaceful difficulty since about day 80. I will need some ender pearls soon and other stuff so probably gonna gear out for combat, establish a perimeter around my base and some safe areas then turn it on easy.

One trick for pearls is to buy the enderman spawn eggs from the coin page in the quest book and spawn them into a smeltery (with the sky blocked off somewhere above it). If you spawn an infernal enderman with regeneration, you get basically infinite ender pearls to pour out of the smeltery. Even if they die in there you end up getting a pretty hefty pile of pearls each one, and that flavor of coins aren't used for much else.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I've been no keying around with a personal pack (adventure + colonizing), and one mod I've come to love recently, is the Towers of Minecraft for 1.15.2.

A recent update integrates with the waystones mod. Which is nice because now there are waystones in the wild, but you have to work to get to them.

Especially because I have not been a fan of waystones in villages currently. Typically 2+ waystones will spawn in a village. I've seen even up 6+ in a single village.

Aside from that, I've been having a blast with Minecolonies. It feels like what millenaire wanted to be. It's so good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ambaire posted:

what's this a reference to?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Arkitektbmw posted:

Aside from that, I've been having a blast with Minecolonies. It feels like what millenaire wanted to be. It's so good.

My experience with minecolonies is sometimes stuff gets stuffed in workshop shelves forever, or a crafter will just get stuck crafting sticks and there will be 64 stacks of sticks sitting on the shelf, or the fact that the stone smelter guy seems to make smoothstone one at a time. I had to turn off raids because 50 man barbarian raids every other night is tiring because the town can't defend against it on it's own even with every other building being a staffed guard tower.

And the villagers won't work until everyone in that raid is dead. And they can get lost. Several times I've went searching for them with admin mode and they were all deep underground wandering the caves because some of them fell down a hole. Did a "kill everything" command to get rid of them, then turned the raids off.

Also the random endermen events. If you don't have enough guards the mod will spawn endermen in broad daylight that will run around and kill THE ENTIRE TOWN if you don't kill it. Guards have to be in full iron armor to be able to go 1v1 vs a zombie and win.

At least the production buildings actually produce goods. Fisherman, farmer, chicken rancher, pig rancher, cow rancher, lumberjack, and miner work correctly. Lumberjack tends to wander really far away and get himself killed sometimes, the miner doesn't adequately light up the tunnels and doesn't seal off entrances so if he wanders into an area with monster spawner or a dark area with mobs in it, he's gonna die, and the next one that goes down there will die in the exact same place until you go down and clean it up.

It is still a work in progress but I agree that it's a pretty good mod and has come a long way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's this a reference to?

I assume it means that spawning one of these big trees in the Nether will break the bedrock top layer and let you get above the dimension

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arkitektbmw posted:

I've been no keying around with a personal pack (adventure + colonizing), and one mod I've come to love recently, is the Towers of Minecraft for 1.15.2.
I can't find any trace of a mod by that name.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I am debating playing Minecraft for the first time. When I play a game for the first time, I always try to find a decent set of mods that does not affect the game or gameplay in any way, but helps with things like graphics, UI, etc.

Basically, a list of mods that makes the UI, graphics, etc. better, but does not alter anything in the gameplay like drop rates, items, mobs, or similar substantive gameplay elements.

I checked the OP, but it looks old, and I also did not see anything like a list of such mods. I also checked reddit, but I don't really see anything there in a FAQ or anything similar.

Does anyone have a link to such a list, or suggestions? I'm not looking for a list of 80 mods - just the sort of top mods in the graphics/UI sense.

(I also realized I have no idea whether I need to buy Minecraft or where you are supposed to buy it from, or whether it is free, because there's about 80,000 different search results and it doesn't show up on Steam, and I see that there is a Java edition, a Bedrock edition, a Flintstones edition, and I am old and confused by videogames, but that's a separate issue.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

I am debating playing Minecraft for the first time. When I play a game for the first time, I always try to find a decent set of mods that does not affect the game or gameplay in any way, but helps with things like graphics, UI, etc.

Basically, a list of mods that makes the UI, graphics, etc. better, but does not alter anything in the gameplay like drop rates, items, mobs, or similar substantive gameplay elements.

I checked the OP, but it looks old, and I also did not see anything like a list of such mods. I also checked reddit, but I don't really see anything there in a FAQ or anything similar.

Does anyone have a link to such a list, or suggestions? I'm not looking for a list of 80 mods - just the sort of top mods in the graphics/UI sense.

(I also realized I have no idea whether I need to buy Minecraft or where you are supposed to buy it from, or whether it is free, because there's about 80,000 different search results and it doesn't show up on Steam, and I see that there is a Java edition, a Bedrock edition, a Flintstones edition, and I am old and confused by videogames, but that's a separate issue.)

Get Java edition if you plan on modding. If you just want graphics what you want isn't mods but resource packs those change the way the game looks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SlyFrog posted:

I tried to sort these from least intrusive to most.
Honestly if you're just looking for polish and quality of life mods without any significant changes, you'll want NEI first and foremost. Gives a much more coherent and easy to use in-game recipe book where you can look up the uses and recipes for any blocks or items. Great for beginners and long-time players alike. Even comes with a button to lay out a recipe you've looked up directly onto your bench if you have the materials, so you don't have to hand-place stuff for some of the more complicated recipes (which you'll find more in mods than in vanilla, but still).

I'd also recommend BetterFPS, Foamfix, FastWorkbench, and Phosphor, which all just improve basic performance. MouseTweaks, CraftingTweaks, and InventoryTweaks all make moving and crafting items a bit easier, by way of say auto-sorting a chest's contents or improving click and drag functionality. More Overlays allows you to see which blocks are still dark enough for enemies to spawn on (good for lighting up your base comprehensively). That's about where I might draw the line if you're looking for a "puritan modded" first run.

As for minor changes that improve quality of life, there's a few simple ones I trust, but if you're going for a very light touch even these might be too much, so it's at your discretion. FastLeafDecay makes leaves off chopped down trees decay in a few seconds instead of lingering for minutes. Fencejumper lets you jump over fences while still keeping monsters and animals blocked from doing so, which is again mostly a matter of convenience. Harvest lets you right click a fully grown crop to harvest+replant it, instead of having to break the crop block itself and manually replant the seeds, so it just saves you a couple clicks and makes farming a little neater. If you want a mod that simply tells you what the block you're aiming at is (especially useful if you're not familiar with them all offhand, or are using content mods) you can grab WAILA + WAWLA or TheOneProbe.

Lastly, Journeymap adds an in-game map/minimap that fills in as you explore, which is easily the biggest change on this list, but I find it hard to live without, especially when making multiple settlements across a world or marking points of interest. A similar map mod that's a bit more in-game and less like a UI addition would be Antique Atlas.
So even taking all these you end up at about a dozen. Those are my top "Vanilla+" picks, personally. See what's right for you.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Get Java edition if you plan on modding. If you just want graphics what you want isn't mods but resource packs those change the way the game looks.

I don't necessarily just want graphics - I just don't want something that changes the actual gameplay.

Maybe an example - if there is a UI mod that means something that in the base game requires clicking through 8 submenus to bring up can instead be brought up with a shortcut key, that's fine, because to me, that doesn't alter the gameplay (it doesn't give me a free item, it doesn't put new items into the game, doesn't modify the stats of items, doesn't change world generation or mobs, etc.). What I don't want is something that adds, subtracts, or modifies the game content itself, or alters the difficulty of the game. I don't consider clumsy UI to be difficulty, however, so as mentioned, UI improvements are fine (unless, again, they alter the gameplay, for example by removing darkness in caves).

I know, sometimes it is a bit of a subjective line, but hopefully that gives the gist of what I'm okay with.

I will look at resource packs - are there any "standards?" In terms of graphics, I generally prefer more realistic - I'm not a fan of things that do cartoony stuff, or things that diverge from the underlying theme (e.g. I don't want something that converts Minecraft fantasy into Steampunk).

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 20, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm sorry to say this but....minecraft is like...a game for children. You're kind of overthinking the complexity of the base game there lol

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Xun posted:

I'm sorry to say this but....minecraft is like...a game for children. You're kind of overthinking the complexity of the base game there lol

Really? I had kind of put off playing it for a long time because that was my assumption (well, really more that it did not really seem to have any game generated goals or end game, which I want in my games). But I was talking to a friend earlier today, and he talked about how the base game (i.e. no mods) now has some end boss, the ability to build up villages, sort of minibosses and structures to explore, etc. That it is no longer just a giant lego set, but there's actually a lot of "game" (in the classical sense of having things to work around/beat, goals to go after that aren't just you deciding to build another thing, etc.).

I basically just assumed it became like Terraria, which originally was fairly sparse on content, but just grew over the years to have a quite fleshed out system of bosses, items, etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Vanilla minecraft has a bit more endgame now after the dragon but it's still very sparse on actual challenge. It's really just a pretty base builder with a bit of adventuring and mining. Also the combat still sucks hard.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

I basically just assumed it became like Terraria, which originally was fairly sparse on content, but just grew over the years to have a quite fleshed out system of bosses, items, etc.

It's not like that at all. While MC has gotten new content, it's extremely small additions that usually add little to nothing to the core gameplay, just some random tidbit in a random part of the world (like a different looking mob). The end boss is simplistic and anti-climactic and is easy to fight if you prepare at all. The combat systems and exploration systems are bad.

The appeal of the game is building or large gameplay mods - if those don't interest you you probably will not enjoy the game.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The "endgame" was literally the bare minimum of what could theoretically be considered an end to the game so that a 1.0 could be slapped on.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Eh, minecraft's combat mechanics are pretty good. If you play well you'll pretty much never get hit by melee mobs even out in the open without placing blocks, and the vanilla bow mechanics are fun. Not really sure why people have a lot of hate for it. They're good enough that minecraft still has a somewhat large competitive pvp scene, too. End fight is also pretty alright in vanilla but once you get it the encounter itself can be kinda repetitive and boring.

I do dislike what they did to skeleton archers in 1.7.x or whatever version they made them auto-hitting death machines that you couldn't line of sight spam.

I'll also concede the mechanics don't really "scale" and that modded has never really had great combat or mob additions. Some magic mods have done pretty well, and the mod with ogres and werewolves and stuff is pretty fun sometimes. It's nothing like Terraria. Terraria added more and more vertical content while Minecraft added some horizontal mechanics to the world.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 21, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Taffer posted:

It's not like that at all. While MC has gotten new content, it's extremely small additions that usually add little to nothing to the core gameplay, just some random tidbit in a random part of the world (like a different looking mob). The end boss is simplistic and anti-climactic and is easy to fight if you prepare at all. The combat systems and exploration systems are bad.

The appeal of the game is building or large gameplay mods - if those don't interest you you probably will not enjoy the game.

Ugh. The person I spoke with misled me pretty badly then. Well, good enough to discover that now, with no harm done.

Thank you to everyone who helped (both with the mod advice and the separate discussion regarding the game).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I disagree with the core game being bad. Exploring caves is fun, finding the end and defeating the dragon without knowing how to can be fun (though my advice is to enter the portal with expendable equipment), and a good amount of the additions have improved the game. The combat is very simple, but that's fine really.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

I disagree with the core game being bad. Exploring caves is fun, finding the end and defeating the dragon without knowing how to can be fun (though my advice is to enter the portal with expendable equipment), and a good amount of the additions have improved the game. The combat is very simple, but that's fine really.

It's not bad, it's just not really different enough to when SlyFrog first looked at it to compare it to Terraria, and doesn't have the same kind of drastic content additions because it's supposed to be a fairly basic game and mods heavily take advantage of that to create whole new experiences in a different way than modding usually can in other games.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 21, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah it honestly sounds like modded Minecraft is exactly what theyre looking for. It can add a bunch of goals, weapons, bosses, exploration etc. The thing is that's just not vanilla :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Black Pants posted:

I've literally never heard of Yogbox 2.0 before your mentioning it now. Probably because it's on Technic, which is the old bad platform service I'd only ever recommend to use to play Blightfall because there's no other choice of where to obtain it.

Grab the Twitch app or GDLauncher, look up Enigmatica 2 or FTB Academy.

Again, FTB Academy is what you want. Alternatively, jump over to the Private Servers forum and take a look at the goon server posts there, if you want to play with other people around for inspiration/help.

Cheers for the advice, I'll consider giving FTB Academy a spin, though I'm really disappointed it doesn't involve Thaumcraft, which is a mod I fell in love with from its first release, and outside of the cool tools and mechanics and whatnot, I really love that you can gently caress up royally.
And not in a generic ~~forbidden~~ sorcery kind of way, but a self-evident one where everything has a counter-balance, and if you get too greedy or negligent, poo poo just happens.

FTB Academy has Botania, which I've been curious about, but never really got really energized over.

But let me get back to the launcher: Why exactly is the Technic launcher bad now, and what benefit does the Twitch app or GDLauncher give me?
Between 2011 and 2014 or so, Technic launcher was the go-to launcher in here iirc (wasn't also one of the devs a goon? The fart-fart-slap goon? idk), and Yogbox was a hugely popular AIO modpack from the Yogscast guys, so I just kinda defaulted to that.
And I've played about 10 hours on Technic since getting back into the game and haven't had any trouble with it so far outside of not finding a drat mod option in convoluted menus and submenus (though, that's probably more due to me being a dingus and there being a million submenus in NEI/JEI), so I'm wondering why I should move to a different launcher?

I'm guessing better accessibility to popular mods?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xun posted:

Yeah it honestly sounds like modded Minecraft is exactly what theyre looking for. It can add a bunch of goals, weapons, bosses, exploration etc. The thing is that's just not vanilla :v:

Yeah. Despite my negative comments about the game itself, it lends itself very well to its modding scene, providing a pretty basic foundation that can be built on. Nothing in the actual game mechanics suggested at all the factory/automation style mods that sprung up early on (and actually inspired dedicated factory games like factorio), they were just able to be stapled on top without much dissonance because the base game is so simple.

This lead to probably the most vibrant and creative mod scene for any game ever. Despite lots of mod quality complaints or modders who drank their own kool-aid, there is an absolute plethora of really great mods and modpacks that provide a ton of fun experiences that are worth exploring in their own right. That's why there are still so many of us posting about mods a decade later for a pretty shallow game with largely stagnant development. :)

All that said, there are some good parts about the core gameplay loop. The experience of exploring, mining, and even fighting are quite fun your first couple times through, and can be quite relaxing, especially if you enjoy the building aspect of the game. The procedural world and the simple satisfaction of finding neat things to work with in the unique terrain is quite nice, and is part of the games broad appeal. The main thing to realize before going in is that gameplay is really simple and shallow and does not have the depth or breadth of something like Terraria.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 21, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Cheers for the advice, I'll consider giving FTB Academy a spin, though I'm really disappointed it doesn't involve Thaumcraft, which is a mod I fell in love with from its first release, and outside of the cool tools and mechanics and whatnot, I really love that you can gently caress up royally.
And not in a generic ~~forbidden~~ sorcery kind of way, but a self-evident one where everything has a counter-balance, and if you get too greedy or negligent, poo poo just happens.

FTB Academy has Botania, which I've been curious about, but never really got really energized over.

But let me get back to the launcher: Why exactly is the Technic launcher bad now, and what benefit does the Twitch app or GDLauncher give me?
Between 2011 and 2014 or so, Technic launcher was the go-to launcher in here iirc (wasn't also one of the devs a goon? The fart-fart-slap goon? idk), and Yogbox was a hugely popular AIO modpack from the Yogscast guys, so I just kinda defaulted to that.
And I've played about 10 hours on Technic since getting back into the game and haven't had any trouble with it so far outside of not finding a drat mod option in convoluted menus and submenus (though, that's probably more due to me being a dingus and there being a million submenus in NEI/JEI), so I'm wondering why I should move to a different launcher?

I think basically all the big modpacks and mods are on the twitch launcher now. A really big thing making it more popular than technic/atl is that it is really, really easy to set up and modify your own modpacks since the mods are already hosted on their platform. Literally just click to install. So you can get FTB academy and then add thaumcraft with a single click instead of searching through websites and adfly links. Obviously it won't have any custom quests but it'll be there.

Also the Yogscast really fell out of favor after some sort of Kickstarter scam shenanigans. I thought they went into hiding after that so I'm surprised the yogbox is even updated.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, Twitch/GDLauncher pull directly from Curseforge which is where basically almost all mods are hosted officially, and so every mod hosted there has been given permission to be used for whatever, and they all automatically have attribution. Because of this you can even one-click add and/or update mods in a pack in the client if you want. Honestly I'm not sure why someone would release a modpack on Technic anymore unless it was using mods grabbed/modified without permission or stuff with legal issues that Curseforge wouldn't allow.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 21, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Black Pants posted:

So, Twitch/GDLauncher pull directly from Curseforge which is where basically almost all mods are hosted officially, and so every mod hosted there has been given permission to be used for whatever, and they all automatically have attribution. Because of this you can even one-click add and/or update mods in a pack in the client if you want. Honestly I'm not sure why someone would release a modpack on Technic anymore unless it was using mods grabbed/modified without permission or stuff with legal issues that Curseforge wouldn't allow.

Yeah, basically, the FTB crew "won" the launcher slapfighting by dint of having better PR - "All of our modpacks are ~~legal~~" and then double-won when they partnered with Curseforge to build the FTB launcher, which meant they then had Technic beat on being able to make your own stuff and not have to pass it through the gilded anus of the FTB team.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 21, 2020

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Ugh. The person I spoke with misled me pretty badly then. Well, good enough to discover that now, with no harm done.

Thank you to everyone who helped (both with the mod advice and the separate discussion regarding the game).

Like with 99% of minecraft questions, the answer to this is the famous "play blightfall"

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
So in other news CurseForge assets (e.g. mods) are moving from Twitch to Overwolf (Link)

Prior to this I've never even heard of Overwolf, so we'll see how much better, or worse, than Twitch they can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they're not good, they're in the business of doing overlays over games and had a few "boy they sure are sucking up a lot of your info" problems in the past. they're also reintroducing ads, too