Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone should read King Leopold's Ghost if they haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone should read King Leopold's Ghost if they haven't.

I ordered a copy yesterday after someone mentioned itt.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lady Disdain posted:

I ordered a copy yesterday after someone mentioned itt.

It's an excellent book but do not expect to come away with it feeling good about things.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Inceltown posted:

It's an excellent book but do not expect to come away with it feeling good about things.

Oh, I absolutely don't. I'm in it for the cathartic misery.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well if you have room for seconds then read A Long Way Gone. It's about child soldiers, told by one of them, during the Sierra Leone Civil War.

Edit:
My friend's sister went through that war too. Her stories about it are...not very happy.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Jun 13, 2020

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'll add it to my list, but honestly, I'm dyslexic as poo poo, and reading is a sloowwwwww process for me. It'll probably take me the rest of the year to finish Leopold's Ghost, and who knows how I'll feel by the end of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lady Disdain posted:

I'll add it to my list, but honestly, I'm dyslexic as poo poo, and reading is a sloowwwwww process for me. It'll probably take me the rest of the year to finish Leopold's Ghost, and who knows how I'll feel by the end of it.

You're reading King Leopold's Ghost? Be strong. Then when you inevitably need help remembering that humans CAN be cool, go here:

History Book thread, I asked for uplifting history books due to King Leopold's Ghost. The thread delivered.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're reading King Leopold's Ghost? Be strong. Then when you inevitably need help remembering that humans CAN be cool, go here:

History Book thread, I asked for uplifting history books due to King Leopold's Ghost. The thread delivered.

Thanks. I think I'm going to order a Mary Roach. I was really interested in her after I saw her interviewed by Adam Savage, then forgot all about it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not a book, but something that keeps me grounded when dealing with inhumanity:

Robert Ardrey posted:

We were born of risen apes, not fallen angels, and the apes were armed killers besides. And so what shall we wonder at? Our murders and massacres and missiles, and our irreconcilable regiments? Or our treaties whatever they may be worth; our symphonies however seldom they may be played; our peaceful acres, however frequently they may be converted to battlefields; our dreams however rarely they may be accomplished. The miracle of man is not how far he has sunk but how magnificently he has risen. We are known among the stars by our poems, not our corpses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/BPHXDBF.mp4

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Does not end with a basket rattling down a plastic pole and trapping a mouse. 3/10, cannot recommend.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Wearing a soccer jersey but using his hands, canceled :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is this that Rube guy I keep peering about?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is this that Rube guy I keep peering about?

Rube on a bike presumably

https://i.imgur.com/9QuVtqH.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/l02fFbs.gifv

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The full video's here, and it's fabulous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEBNEscL0c

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

He's going to feel so betrayed when they tell him the floor was not, in fact, lava.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

I would love to see this in reverse where he ends up in the basket hoop.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zteuer posted:

I would love to see this in reverse where he ends up in the basket hoop.

https://i.imgur.com/XhFKEEI.mp4

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

The Ginger Rogers of gymnasium parkour.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lady Disdain posted:

The Ginger Rogers of gymnasium parkour.

Not unless you photoshop in heels.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I hope y'all don't mind, as I'm going to do my mom a favor - she's part of the group that cares for a local state park, and she spent a whole month organizing and then watching this chainsaw project get done. She had a local artist friend shoot and edit a pretty cool video of the project, and I figure it's badass enough to share here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9G06auINA4

Prof. William Casey chainsawed back to life at Mexico Point Park

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I remember visiting relatives in Northern Maine and they insisted that we go and see a local "world famous" chainsaw sculptor. We get to the guy's place and he's out there sawing away on a log. He was doing impressive stuff considering he was in his late 70s and had a total of about 4½ fingers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Real peak master race looking piece of poo poo right there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was going to say that is the least fuckable person I've seen all week, and that includes Commando Ken and Karen from St. Louis

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pretty sure that’s an orthodox jew she stole the sign from, so maybe “master race” isn’t the best word choice?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Aw man, I'm used to seeing that kind of bullshit from Christians; I had no idea the orthodox were in on it too. Am I supposed to apologise on behalf of all Jews ? Is that how this works ? I swear, we're not all like that, etc.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:jewish::hf::jewish: I hear you.
'rear end in a top hat' must be the one true religion, It's remarkably consistent regardless of local flavour.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

By popular demand posted:

'rear end in a top hat' must be the one true religion, It's remarkably consistent regardless of local flavour.

Damnit I'm stealing that, it's perfect

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The sign in question even literally says 'Jewish'. Oops. This is why the whole 'where is your chin LOL' meme is dumb, it doesn't matter at all whether or not they actually are Aryan supermen, the point is that the ideology is fundamentally repugnant regardless.

Anyway, I don't know why anyone would be surprised at this, Orthodox Jews aren't exactly known for being progressive. Or is that they're participating in a public demonstration in a Western country? I guess in a paradoxical way it's a sign of integration, too bad it involves them being assholes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Phlegmish posted:

The sign in question even literally says 'Jewish'. Oops. This is why the whole 'where is your chin LOL' meme is dumb, it doesn't matter at all whether or not they actually are Aryan supermen, the point is that the ideology is fundamentally repugnant regardless.

Anyway, I don't know why anyone would be surprised at this, Orthodox Jews aren't exactly known for being progressive. Or is that they're participating in a public demonstration in a Western country? I guess in a paradoxical way it's a sign of integration, too bad it involves them being assholes.

This. They're definitely not known for being progressive, but they're also not known for having much to do with anyone outside their community.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fair point. I remember the protests against gay marriage in France a few years ago. There are many within the more traditionalist quarters of the Muslim community that take a dim view of same-sex relationships, but the demonstrations were largely a white Catholic affair, from what I read at the time.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Jun 30, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lady Disdain posted:

Am I supposed to apologise on behalf of all Jews ? Is that how this works ? I swear, we're not all like that, etc.

No, group guilt based on race or whatever is stupid as gently caress.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Alternative pants posted:

No, group guilt based on race or whatever is stupid as gently caress.

Agreed.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Alternative pants posted:

Pretty sure that’s an orthodox jew she stole the sign from, so maybe “master race” isn’t the best word choice?

Lol, nah, he's a hateful bigot. I don't care if he's in a specific group or is nice to animals or whatever; there's no room in society for trash like him.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lol I think those are the Jews that hired day laborers to hold anti-gay signs to make their crowd bigger.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

TontoCorazon posted:

Lol I think those are the Jews that hired day laborers to hold anti-gay signs to make their crowd bigger.

I'd never heard about this before, so I googled it, and loving lol:
the men were supplementary troops, filling in for the Jewish students who would normally be called upon to demonstrate.
“The rabbis said that the yeshiva boys shouldn’t come out for this because of what they would see at the parade,” Mr. Freed said.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Sounds like they may have lost some yeshiva boys to the parade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeshiva Boys is the name of my new gay Jewish hardcore band, we mostly play Limp Wrist covers with the lyrics changed to make them more Jewish and even gayer