Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

World War Mammories posted:

I feel like the second sentence is her whole raison d'etre, but that first part is interesting. do you know what it takes to get this chat?

Lifted from someone on Discord, edited for clarity/formatting:

Meet Joyce, get the basic lowdown, get Jamais Vu, learn about the pale, do her subquest about the smuggler (or eventually show her your badge)
Go to Evrart, do his subquests, talk to him after mailing the signatures and getting access to the Pigs encounter to get him to come clean about the strike
Wait for Joyce to move to the fishing village pier, grill her again and insist she tells you about the discovery of Insulinde, she'll tell you to wait
On your way back from the Ruby confrontation into the tribunal, stop by Joyce, and open the unrelated dialogue tree of explaining Evrart's plans to her. She'll go on the Insulindian miracle rant, and you get closure on both her true identity and Harry/Kim's impression on her before she sails away

Bolded the part that I and probably most other people missed, but you have to have done all the other stuff along the way as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

i think i did that accidentally but i cant entirely remember because true to form as a 1/6/2/3 marianne williamson cop i was stoned the whole time

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I just realized something, LOL.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

NOBODY CLICK THAT

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

....poo poo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the way that clothing interacts with skills is kind of annoying to keep track of but dang if it doesn't make you dress the part of whatever you're trying to accomplish

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
lookin pretty sick in that FALN gear my dude

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Why are tracksuits so much more of a thing in Europe than the U.S. anyway?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

differences in urban architectural design mean a greater variety of places to squat. america has, like, car parks. and that's about it

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Reliable temperate weather.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Animal-Mother posted:

I just realized something, LOL.

Can't be a coincidence ... surely? :tinfoil:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DrDraxium posted:

There's nothing preventing a specific turbo-nerd on the design team from pushing for this super obscure in-joke, but Star Trek in general, and the later ST series in particular, aren't really a part of the cultural reference pool DE draws from.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

DrDraxium posted:

Either a coincidence or the devs for some reason wanted to pay reference to the most forgettable character in the most forgettable trek series right in the most prominent place they possibly could.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Someone on Reddit made an inferential map of the DE world. It's color coded for temperature and climate and explains the reasoning for why he put the isolas where they are. Seems like solid work and I know I've been itching for something like this so I thought I should share.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

wtf, how can there be a prevailing wind that goes through the pale?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

It is the material conditions setting a course through history!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Lifted from someone on Discord, edited for clarity/formatting:

Meet Joyce, get the basic lowdown, get Jamais Vu, learn about the pale, do her subquest about the smuggler (or eventually show her your badge)
Go to Evrart, do his subquests, talk to him after mailing the signatures and getting access to the Pigs encounter to get him to come clean about the strike
Wait for Joyce to move to the fishing village pier, grill her again and insist she tells you about the discovery of Insulinde, she'll tell you to wait
On your way back from the Ruby confrontation into the tribunal, stop by Joyce, and open the unrelated dialogue tree of explaining Evrart's plans to her. She'll go on the Insulindian miracle rant, and you get closure on both her true identity and Harry/Kim's impression on her before she sails away

Bolded the part that I and probably most other people missed, but you have to have done all the other stuff along the way as well.

aha, thank you. I'm on day 4 of yet another playthrough - do you know if the order matters? that is, if I've already chatted with joyce in the fishing village, have I missed my chance to talk to evrart post-pigs? I guess that you can only meet pigs and get your gun back after joyce has moved to the fishing village anyway, since I think she moves on wednesday? my guess is that it doesn't matter and I can still get this conversation, idk.

anyway holy poo poo this world is fascinating and I lust for an official map. show me that goddamn pale.

though, hum. if you can travel deep enough into the pale that reality breaks down and concepts like "distance" and "numbers" stop meaning anything, it makes me wonder if even asking for a map makes sense... though as a counterargument, traveling through the pale essentially relies on launching airships in precisely the right direction. that implies separate isolas are always in the same position relative to each other...

is elysium even a goddamn sphere? joyce says "...if there was a sphere in there it certainly looks like it fractured a long time ago." does the planet orbit around a sun? has anyone done that one experiment on the length of shadows at the same time but different points on the surface that the ancient greeks used to prove the earth is round? tell me robert kurwitz i'm dying

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I had two interpretations of the pale and the isolas: firstly that it might be a metaphor for space and the isolas were planetary systems. Secondly that it was more fantasy than sci-fi and the isolas were different material planes linked by a Dungeons and Dragons style Plane of Shadow

Doc Hawkins posted:

How can there be open bodies of water that meet the pale!

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 18, 2020

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the pale is just a myth perpetuated by the liberal-centrist world order to prevent world revolution. it's just heavy fog

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

I had two interpretations of the pale and the isolas: firstly that it might be a metaphor for space and the isolas were planetary systems. Secondly that it was more fantasy than sci-fi and the isolas were different material planes linked by a Dungeons and Dragons style Plane of Shadow

I think it's not really either of these, but closer to the latter than the former. The idea I get from the pale is it's basically the annihilation of information, in a very sort of quantum physics/philosophical sense where "information" is also like, the state of matter. Human consciousness is able to impose form on the pale, because human brains are information storage media, but it will damage them over time in the same way that it fucks up radio signals and computer memory. It's kind of metaphorical.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
IIRC there's a gradient of density that applies to the pale. There are mentions somewhere in the texts that there are essentially a boundary of no return within the pale where reality and time collapse completely and there is no going back, but there's also stuff like (again IIRC) Great Western Plains, where the pale is accessible by land and is not too "dense", if that makes sense. There are also mentions of motorways and roads that go through the pale, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly and if it's literally the case and not an expression or a metaphor or something.

I was also under the impression that the world of Disco Elysium is not a sphere, at least not anymore. I believe Joyce all but confirms this. In any case, pale is one of the coolest parts of the setting for me and I hope that it never gets explained and remains mysterious, spooky and metaphorical forever

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The pale is also similar in theme and manner to the river Styx, it crosses planes of existence while annihilating memories (information)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i also questioned the received idea of a spherical world when i first started posting in the thread, but 1) joyce eventually mentions "orbital" flight, and 2):

Glazius posted:

Of course there's a giant ball! Where else are the evil apes going to duke it out?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Pale is the past. It grows exponentially as the weight of thousands of years of history continue to accrete and choke out future possibilities, the mistakes and prejudices and decisions of long dead men and women setting the course for people who will be born long after. Eventually there's so much past there can't be a future.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

DoctorTristan posted:

Either a coincidence or the devs for some reason wanted to pay reference to the most forgettable character in the most forgettable trek series right in the most prominent place they possibly could.

Good point, however that does feel like a very disco thing to do.

Who could we pay reference to?

1. A random korean-ish name - Drama 4 Easy
2. Lieutenant Kim from Star Trek Voyager - Encyclopaedia 20 IMPOSSIBLE.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Drama: How exquisite! He was voted one of the world's most beautiful people AND one of the most interesting bachelors! We should - nay, must!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i get that his surname is Kim but his first name isn't Raphael?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

i also questioned the received idea of a spherical world when i first started posting in the thread, but 1) joyce eventually mentions "orbital" flight, and 2):

lmao that's an excellent point. I can accept that by "fractured" joyce just means "separated by pale." if the pale isn't matter, then there isn't a continuous sphere of matter - just some fractured pieces of matter floating where they used to be when the sphere existed.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Pale is the past. It grows exponentially as the weight of thousands of years of history continue to accrete and choke out future possibilities, the mistakes and prejudices and decisions of long dead men and women setting the course for people who will be born long after. Eventually there's so much past there can't be a future.

well, sure, I follow the logic and understand the RPG trope such that "some say the pale is reified past" means "the pale is reified past." and I like to think I appreciate the thematic undertones. like - I guess I'll spoil this since it's from the ending - the phasmid explicitly compares the encroaching pale to the oxygen catastrophe. the parallel between "early cyanobacterial photosynthesis created oxygen as a byproduct, which eventually built up, changed the environment drastically, and killed them" and "human minds create memories of the past as a byproduct, which will eventually build up, change the environment drastically, and kill them" is pretty straightforward, as well as a real-world parallel with "human industry produces greenhouse gases as a byproduct, which is building up, changing the environment drastically, and will kill them." I follow how that serves to create compelling writing, and how trying to map elysium is, in some meaningful sense, missing the point. but I'm the kind of dork that likes to think about a setting's minutiae.

possibly a good way to conceptualize the pale is like a black hole. someone inside the event horizon of a black hole can't ever leave, like the solution to motorway south, but you can still say that the black hole itself is a physical region. this also tracks with assumptions like - there's ground in the pale, at least in the shallower parts. you can walk into it and through at least part of it, there's something to push against for the purpose of movement. but then, what happens if you go to the porch collapse where matter turns into pale, dig deep into the matter, and then tunnel towards the pale? can you be "underground" in the shallow pale?

...though I just googled and I guess that ground disappears pretty quickly, based on this old tweet
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1027256218929246209

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The world of Disco Elysium is a disco ball, of course! Gray squares are the pale, white squares are the light.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nosfereefer posted:

the pale is just a myth perpetuated by the liberal-centrist world order to prevent world revolution. it's just heavy fog

Revachol is just the broken archstone from Demons Souls

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Here's a pretty good video on Disco Elysium and introspection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWeR4lpEt8

It's a month old, but I don't think I've seen it posted here.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Velius posted:

I’m assuming you’re talking about the ability to tell Kim that you were lying about losing your memory and faking it the whole time? I just loaded and it’s there, but it doesn’t seem to do anything beyond that. I didn’t play to the end after checking it out to see if there’s anything beyond making that statement.

I didn't see this until just now but yeah, that's what I'm saying. Speaking for myself, the first time I played it didn't occur to me that Harry might be faking the memory loss on any level. Then I read that and I realized I could have been roleplaying as if I was just doing some kind of galaxy brain detective strat because he's an rear end in a top hat who blacked out, woke up and decided to roll with it. I wouldn't have considered this possibility if the game hadn't put the idea out there, and it didn't do so until toward the end of the game. It's as if the game gave me a code to type in for the next time I played, where it's the same dialogue options but their meaning has changed--if that was how I decided to interpret it for the next go-round. It's the optional code to engage new game plus.

DE is on some Pierre Menard poo poo, is what I'm saying.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
On day 4. This game is loving amazing.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Absolutely adore Cuno and Idiot Doom Spiral. They should be cherished imo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's one thing I still don't get. Why did Klaasje feel the need to cover up the shooting? He got sniped. So what? She assumed it was done by the people who were after her.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

There's one thing I still don't get. Why did Klaasje feel the need to cover up the shooting? He got sniped. So what? She assumed it was done by the people who were after her.

The people who were after her control the police.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

My interpretation has always been that

she was hired by the Claires to do her corporate espionage and was sleeping with the merc to make Titus jealous to eventually create a volatile situation. When he was murdered, she seized the opportunity to manipulate the Hardies into taking the blame and covering up the true cause of death. The Claires got to use the lynching as a message to get Wild Pines to back off. After her mission was complete she skipped. Once Wild Pines has left and shes gotten away, she leaves behind a clue for you to find out who really killed him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well, evil apes and their giant ball is one of the great optional through-lines of the game that you completely miss out on if you don't follow Inland Empire through that opening dialogue. But given that it's coming from those inhabitants of the ancient Zero-Holm, it's certainly possible that Pale pollution has made it not a giant ball anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

My interpretation has always been that

she was hired by the Claires to do her corporate espionage and was sleeping with the merc to make Titus jealous to eventually create a volatile situation. When he was murdered, she seized the opportunity to manipulate the Hardies into taking the blame and covering up the true cause of death. The Claires got to use the lynching as a message to get Wild Pines to back off. After her mission was complete she skipped. Once Wild Pines has left and shes gotten away, she leaves behind a clue for you to find out who really killed him.

My issue with this theory is that why would Evrart need to hire a professional spy to inflame tensions between a bunch of Union toughs and the trigger happy Pinkertons sent in to intimidate them? We already know the mercs were causing tension aside from Klaasje — Eugene was ready to start a fight over the dancer. I mean, I’m pretty sure Evrart could have called up Titus and told him to send a message to Wild Pines and Titus would have gone along with enthusiasm.