Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'd sub yogurt if you have it instead of the almond milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm trying to make air fried chicken. Recipe calls for the chicken to be marinated in buttermilk and hot sauce. Can I substitute unsweetened vanilla almond milk for the real thing?

No, you need the acidity. Also almond milk is still too sweet even if it's unsweetened.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have some chicken thighs defrosting and a packet of chorizo cooking sausages I wanna make a casserole with later today, using up some other ingredients in my fridge like carrots/leeks/celery. Does anyone have a recommended chicken and chorizo stew recipe or should I just trust my own instincts and wing it, basing my recipe on other chicken thigh casseroles I've made recently?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just wing it imo, it'll be more fun that way

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Just wing it imo, it'll be more fun that way

That's how I cook like 90% of the time, who needs recipes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's currently bubbling away and filling my flat with incredible smells so all is good

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Chicken and chorizo soup sounds good as gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have some chicken thighs defrosting and a packet of chorizo cooking sausages I wanna make a casserole with later today, using up some other ingredients in my fridge like carrots/leeks/celery. Does anyone have a recommended chicken and chorizo stew recipe or should I just trust my own instincts and wing it, basing my recipe on other chicken thigh casseroles I've made recently?

both of these are good but the first one doesn't need carrots/celery. second one doesn't call for sausage but you could swap it in for the bacon

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-black-bean-stew-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jenny Agutter posted:

I think an important part of the buttermilk marinade is the acidity that tenderizes the meat a little. You’re not going to get that effect with almond milk.

This. Instead of buttermilk brine, do a brine with water, cider vinegar, salt, and spices. I generally use a 4:1 water to vinegar ratio. That's enough acidity to tenderize the meat but not leave it tasting pickled.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

I don't know that I'd try to sub the milk directly like that, you just want a flavorful marinade. It doesn't need to be milk-like. TBH I don't know how almond milk would behave but it could be really tasty, imparting a nutty crust. But that isn't the reason for the buttermilk, it would be a different taste entirely.

I quoted the wrong post, but see above about using cider vinegar instead of buttermilk. You can use citrus juice as well (lemon, lime, or orange) it will affect the flavor, but it can also make for really nice flavor combos, too.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you have rice, I'd be tempted to do something similar to a Jambalaya.

In a stock pot or dutch oven., brown the meat. Remove it and sautee the chopped vegetables until the leeks start to clarify a little. Add the meat back in along with whatever spices you'd like, and some stock or broth. Simmer that for a while to get the chicken tender, then add rice. Give it an occasional stir over 15 minutes (or until it's done) to make sure nothing sticks, then fluff it and serve.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the best low or zero calorie sugar substitute for baking? I usually have sucralose on-hand if I want to quickly sweeten up an already-prepared food, but I've never used it for baking, and Google suggests it's not the best idea. Erythritol looks like a common suggestion, but it's like $4/lb, so I want to make sure it's good before buying.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

What's the best low or zero calorie sugar substitute for baking? I usually have sucralose on-hand if I want to quickly sweeten up an already-prepared food, but I've never used it for baking, and Google suggests it's not the best idea. Erythritol looks like a common suggestion, but it's like $4/lb, so I want to make sure it's good before buying.

Erythritol is good, and comes in both powdered (confectioners) and granulated forms. It's not perfect, but it's about as close to behaving like actual "sugar" for baking and chocolate making that I've used so far.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have previously made boneless skinless chicken breast coated in powdered kraft parmasean cheese. The family liked it. The wife especially wants to avoid the carbs of a flour or breadcrumb coating.

So last time, I brined the chicken breasts, then patted them dry, then egg wash, then parm cheese coating, fry

This time I decided to marinate in buttermilk. I have a bunch of wet breast cutlets. Normally, I’d take the wet cutlets and dredge them in flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs.

I want to avoid the flour though.

So do I

1) wet cutlets right into the parm cheese?

2) pat them dry then egg wash then parm?

4) wet cutlets into egg wash then parm?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shake off excess buttermilk from the wet cutlets and place on a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for 2 hours. Then dredge in the parm

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

After that you could do an additional egg wash and double coating if you want

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the conversion on 1 can of garbanzos to dried garbanzos?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the conversion on 1 can of garbanzos to dried garbanzos?

Is your can 400g/14oz?
Once you drain a can of garbanzo/chickpeas you'll have about 250g/9oz of actual beans. Dried beans double their weight so you'll need about 125g/4.5oz dried to gt a cans worth.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the benefit of roasting a vegetable before freezing? Can I freeze them as is and roast them after they're frozen?

Once frozen, what's the best way to thaw them out? I have access to an air fryer. Would that be the way to go?

I'm just tired of losing vegetables to mold, I'd like to freeze them so I don't lose them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the benefit of roasting a vegetable before freezing? Can I freeze them as is and roast them after they're frozen?

Once frozen, what's the best way to thaw them out? I have access to an air fryer. Would that be the way to go?

I'm just tired of losing vegetables to mold, I'd like to freeze them so I don't lose them.

I generally just eat them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't heard of roasting before freezing but I would assume the idea is to drive out moisture. The main reason freezing fucks things up is it makes ice crystals that break cell walls, so less water would mean less crystallization. But before I bothered with all that I'd just pay attention to your shopping and cooking habits for a week or two and plan better so you don't have so much waste.

You also may be storing things poorly, what's molding and how are you storing it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could just buy frozen vegetables

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the benefit of roasting a vegetable before freezing?
Don't roast, blanch. That is, prepare a pot of boiling water, briefly dunk the veg you're going to freeze, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. You can look up tables of blanching times for various kinds of veg--it's a standard issue in food preservation.

The reason why you want to heat treat veg before freezing is to inactivate enzymes (e.g. lipoxygenase) that cause the development of off flavours, colours, textures and so on even at freezing temperatures.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My roommate moved out and left a bag of quinoa (on purpose lol). I’ve made quinoa once before and found it pretty tasteless and boring, but I’m fully willing to admit that was me just making boring quinoa. Any recipe I should try to help me appreciate it better?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The only problem that roasting + freezing solves is if you buy too much at any given time. If you have a reasonable amount of vegetables, and you're willing to roast them, they will last another 3-4 days in the fridge. Is that not long enough to eat them?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Hawkperson posted:

My roommate moved out and left a bag of quinoa (on purpose lol). I’ve made quinoa once before and found it pretty tasteless and boring, but I’m fully willing to admit that was me just making boring quinoa. Any recipe I should try to help me appreciate it better?

I like to make quinoa with chicken broth instead of water, and if you're super bougie, a pinch of saffron.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hawkperson posted:

Any recipe I should try to help me appreciate it better?

First of all, get some potatoes. Then, peel some carrots and set aside the peelings. If you’ve got any beetroot, peel those and keep the peelings, too. In fact, just about any other vegetables will do.

Mix the peelings with the quinoa. Dig a small hole in the ground and place your potato in it. Top with the peeling/quinoa mixture. Leave for several months and dig up, and you should have lots of lovely potatoes!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I made a tomato sauce on Sunday with ground beef and sausage. The leftovers have been in the fridge in a sealed container and I am making chicken parmesan tonight. How risky is it to use that sauce?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

me your dad posted:

I made a tomato sauce on Sunday with ground beef and sausage. The leftovers have been in the fridge in a sealed container and I am making chicken parmesan tonight. How risky is it to use that sauce?

It's fine. I meal prep on Sundays and eat the same food prepared that day all week and I've never gotten sick. Not only that, but tomato sauce is acidic and should further prevent any spoilage from occurring only four days out.

Give it a whiff; the nose knows.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's only 4 days, you're totally fine. Smash that mf ground beef, sausage, and chix parm.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

First of all, get some potatoes. Then, peel some carrots and set aside the peelings. If you’ve got any beetroot, peel those and keep the peelings, too. In fact, just about any other vegetables will do.

Mix the peelings with the quinoa. Dig a small hole in the ground and place your potato in it. Top with the peeling/quinoa mixture. Leave for several months and dig up, and you should have lots of lovely potatoes!

Pro advice.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thank you both for the meat sauce answers!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like quinoa -- it tastes really green to me. Having it plain with butter is a thing you can do, although like white rice, it might not be too interesting. I like it mixed with sautéed spinach. Or I often roast a chicken, make quinoa with some drippings, and do a lunch bowl with the chicken and quinoa and whatever vegetables.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

In the summer I make a quinoa and salmon salad where you cook the quinoa and let it go cold then mix in sliced red onion, sliced radishes, orange segments, spinach and flaked grilled salmon. Then dress it with a dressing made from plain yoghurt, tahini, sesame oil, soy, rice vinegar and honey. Finish with a sprinkling of toasted black and white sesame seeds.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Any good recommendations on a bread maker? My family has been using a sunbeam programmable machine for 15 years and it finally died. Looking online I can't really tell what's a legitimate review, and what's a paid advertisement.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
What can I do with beets that's not just roasting or pickling them?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TheCog posted:

Hash browns, in veggie burgers, steaming, grilling in foil, fries/chips. Basically think of like any other root vegetable preparation and adjust seasonings to accommodate.

I like making mixed root veg. latkes a lot or if I just want some on hand for salads and the like, season with salt & steam roast in a pan half full of water & covered in foil until tender. You can add a splash of vinegar to help set the color. Let cool, cut up into whatever shape & toss in a vinaigrette or herbed/spiced yogurt etc.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TheCog posted:

Gotta make some red borscht.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's a good way to build up spice tolerance? My girlfriend can't take spice to the point where your average piece of kimchi is around her max and she can taste things like a pinch of cayenne in an entire pot of stew, and I have absolutely no frame of reference because I love spice and legitimately cannot even detect it at the levels that start making her sweat. She wants to start raising her tolerance but we don't really know where or how to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

AnonSpore posted:

What's a good way to build up spice tolerance? My girlfriend can't take spice to the point where your average piece of kimchi is around her max and she can taste things like a pinch of cayenne in an entire pot of stew, and I have absolutely no frame of reference because I love spice and legitimately cannot even detect it at the levels that start making her sweat. She wants to start raising her tolerance but we don't really know where or how to start.

Just keep eating things at your max and you gradually get better at handling it.