Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And at the other end, when Batman fought Prometheus who downloaded a bunch of files of skills, so he had the martial arts skills of all the greatest, Batman hacked in and swapped then with Stephen Hawking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

Those people were probably not Superman.

Sure, but if Superman gets depowered, neither is he. And none of the people they were fighting were batman.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

LordSaturn posted:

I think this has happened to Luthor more than once

Happened in the last Crossover in the Arrowverse too. Whatever you think of Tom Welling's acting, that dude is seriously built like Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seaborgium posted:

Happened in the last Crossover in the Arrowverse too. Whatever you think of Tom Welling's acting, that dude is seriously built like Superman.

The Tom Welling Clark Kent voluntarily gave up his powers a long time ago and has been working on a farm ever since, of course he's beefy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Question IRL posted:

There was a JLA special where Kobra used a body swapping machine. It ended up with Kobra in Batman's body fighting Superman in Kobra's body.

Superman kicked his rear end because Kobra was pretty fit (for a Cobra Commander rip off) and he had learnt how to wreck guys like Parasite and Doomsday.
Where was Batman during all this, if he was in Superman's body? Or did he just start standing there counting prime numbers to resist the enormous tension to go solve all crime forever while he has the chance?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nessus posted:

Where was Batman during all this, if he was in Superman's body? Or did he just start standing there counting prime numbers to resist the enormous tension to go solve all crime forever while he has the chance?

He was put in Superman's body. (Not all of them were straight swaps. Steel ended up in Kyle Ryners body. He ended up being taught how to use the ring and used it to build JCBs to fight goons.)

He is only shown in one or two panels saying he is looking after Gotham and talks about how easy it would be for him to just rely on his super powers and nothing else.

It was kind of disappointing how the story ignores this entire interesting story beat.

Years later the Superman/Batman series would do a much better "Superman and Batman swap powers and Batman goes mad" story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold had Batman gain Superman-like powers on Zur-En-Arrh where he helps the local Batman and eventually gets complacent and owned by the Lex Luthor equivalent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The Tom Welling Clark Kent voluntarily gave up his powers a long time ago and has been working on a farm ever since, of course he's beefy.
Welling aced that cameo too. "I haven't missed these talks."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

seaborgium posted:

The fact that they had him across from Jon Cryer (who is a good seven inches shorter and built like a light jogger) certainly helped sell the image :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers #17: The Avengers have just gotten their asses handed to them and AIM rushes in to take DNA samples while they're out. But not all the Avengers got beat up...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Justice League Dark.
Zattana casts spells by talking backwards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's not the lyric

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The way her spells are not fully backwards irks me. Everything is backwards except the order of the words within each sentence.

Edit: Still cool, though. Don't get me wrong.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 19, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well if it was straightforward and easy everybody could do it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Flesh Forge posted:

Well if it was straightforward and easy everybody could do it

As someone who had way too much fun with reversing speech in the old Sound Recorder in Windows I'd say it's plenty hard already to say complete sentences fully backwards. We had enough trouble trying to get just "Steven is sad" correct.

That's not the only place her magical power comes from though, right? I know very little about Zatanna other than the iconic costume and the backwards speech.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl i kinda hate having to parse zatanna stuff

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and I hate Queen references! we should start a club

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seriously it's not even the right lyrics how do you gently caress that up?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They probably try to sneak “close enough” lyrics as a way to not have to actually ask/buy the rights to use the actual lyrics?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
She's saying them wrong on purpose so her targets will "Um actually" and stand still long enough for her to light them up

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

She's not singing the song, she's casting a spell :colbert:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gnome de plume posted:

She's saying them wrong on purpose so her targets will "Um actually" and stand still long enough for her to light them up

She's so powerful that she's made the missing "me" appear in the dialogue of a character from another comic that was published by another company, in a panel that was by seeming coincidence posted immediately before this one!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Zatanna's power comes from her ability to speak backwards, yes, but a significant amount of her power also comes from her top hat, fishnets, and traditional stage magician garb. But ESPECIALLY the fishnets.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is it specific phrases she needs to say backwards or does it not matter as long as it's tangentially connected to what she's trying to do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is it specific phrases she needs to say backwards or does it not matter as long as it's tangentially connected to what she's trying to do?

It varies but pretty often she's on the "she can do loving anything" tier of magic user.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

She still gets jobbed regularly by the likes of Deathstroke (he chops her in the throat or something) and Prometheus (he shoots some capsule that creates a vacuum in her immediate area so her words can't be heard.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sort of like how Dr. Strange can do anything he wants as long as he drops some doggerel verse, Zatanna can do anything if she can say it backwards. On the other hand, one of them had to marry Paul Dini.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Sort of like how Dr. Strange can do anything he wants as long as he drops some doggerel verse, Zatanna can do anything if she can say it backwards. On the other hand, one of them had to marry Paul Dini.

Please tell me it was Dr. Strange.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

Please tell me it was Dr. Strange.
Sadly, no. Dr. Strange's wife instead slept with Ben Franklin.

In Clea's defense, I would have also let Ben Franklin ply me with whiskey.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's time to bring back cool, deadbeat, dirtbag single mom Zatanna from Seven Soldiers.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A deabeat dirtbag stage magician with a kid... was that Zatanna Gob Bluth?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

!TLOH EVETS

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

!?!SEEB

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
NOISULLI NA S’TI actually kinda works as evocation-sounding gibberish

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Elfface posted:

She was way funnier than that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

NOISULLI NA S’TI actually kinda works as evocation-sounding gibberish

Or the title of a mixtape.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
YVAN EHT NIOJ

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

habeasdorkus posted:

YVAN EHT NIOJ

And it worked, too.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Some old One Piece. Reads right to left.

The dude getting punched beat up Luffy's new friends and stole all the gold they'd spent decades diving for.

Then Luffy and his crew went and rode an enormous geyser to an island in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The Straw Hats meeting Montblanc and crew were the first things I ever saw of One Piece, and it did really well in selling the arc villain as a smug piece of poo poo who deserves the biggest knuckle sandwich a rookie pirate can serve up. It's so much better in context, but that takes reading several chapters.