Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
VideoCDs were hot in the video piracy scene that I totally did not involve myself in during college in the early 2000s, for sure. So many movies released as VCDs. Was always funny to see a movie split into two discs in this format.

... allegedly.

I had a PC that could play them, but if I hadn't had one, I could totally see getting one of those VCD things for my PS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Video CD’s were rad. I remember some homebrew for the Dreamcast that enabled VCD playback. I used it a bunch because I was in college and couldn’t afford either DVD’s or a PS2 to play them on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a set of some Chinese TV series on disc and it was a huge case with like 50 CDs.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

SubNat posted:

... a VCD/password toggle? What on earth does that do?
It toggles between VCD player mode and Gameshark mode.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

VideoCDs were hot in the video piracy scene that I totally did not involve myself in during college in the early 2000s, for sure. So many movies released as VCDs. Was always funny to see a movie split into two discs in this format.

... allegedly.

I had a PC that could play them, but if I hadn't had one, I could totally see getting one of those VCD things for my PS1.

I got an apex or some other generic dvd player brand like that in 2001ish because it had region free VCD built in.

...not that i ever downloaded any movies

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

minato posted:

It toggles between VCD player mode and Gameshark mode.

Ah, that's clever. Might as well have access to it if it's there.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Guys I don't think 20th Century Fox is going to come knocking at your door over the revelation that you downloaded a lovely copy of Fight Club in 2002.

Personally I had the entirety of Cowboy Bebop burned across many CDs. I don't think I ever watched them (from the CDs... I definitely watched the series over the course of an all-nighter at a friend's place while we messed around with various tech relics including one of those old lunchbox portable computers)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Plinkey posted:

I got an apex or some other generic dvd player brand like that in 2001ish because it had region free VCD built in.

...not that i ever downloaded any movies

Also had an Apex. There was some weird secret button combo you could hit on the remote and it would bring up a menu where you could enable playback of different kinds of VideoCD and also change the region code of the player as often as you wanted. It could even do a decent job of displaying PAL DVDs on my NTSC television.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tech relic: being VERY INTERESTED in all the intricate details of intellectual property and copyright/trademark law

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My only real experience with VCD was when I was mucking around with digitizing media in the early 2000s mostly for work purposes. Had a capture device of some kind that could take RCA in and convert it to digital, and took forever and a day to do anything. And depending on the codecs I chose I continually struggled to get sound and video to sync up.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Data Graham posted:

Tech relic: being VERY INTERESTED in all the intricate details of intellectual property and copyright/trademark law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXGxUjWiPQI

This is extremely interesting, much like watching a rat drown in a gutter when you can't do anything to help it and also you wouldn't anyway because the fucker bit you earlier that day

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I had an Apex combo DVD/TV, I think they were a Best Buy bargain basement private label at the time. I didn’t know about that functionality. I did play a couple VCD’s on my Dreamcast, but mostly as a curiosity since I had a DVD burner fairly early.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

RandomFerret posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXGxUjWiPQI

This is extremely interesting, much like watching a rat drown in a gutter when you can't do anything to help it and also you wouldn't anyway because the fucker bit you earlier that day

I wonder how truthful they were about the recycling claim. Are pressed discs really that recyclable?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You probably had to take it to a special bin for discs that would be near the front door of your grocery store or whatever that never existed because they couldn't figure out how to get a national supply chain for it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You probably had to take it to a special bin for discs that would be near the front door of your grocery store or whatever that never existed because they couldn't figure out how to get a national supply chain for it.

and then once a week a clerk dumped that bin into the dumpster out back

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

boar guy posted:

and then once a week a clerk dumped that bin into the dumpster out back

According to a friend that worked at Staples at the time, it was exactly this. They received a big Flexplay cardboard display with a slot in the top for dropping in used discs, but no instructions at all on what to actually do with it. A few months later when they stopped carrying Flexplay stuff and the bin was half full, the whole display and all the discs went in the dumpster.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Well it's my job, so...

Just saying, IP sure ain't a relic especially in this day and age where everything is only a google away.

ed- but to return to topic, I tried to open my iPod Classic last night to do a microsd upgrade, bled all over the place, broke the lcd and gave up. Goddamn did they ever make that fucker impossible to open.

Dicty Bojangles has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Jun 20, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Data Graham posted:

If you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group or any other related group, or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site.

Edit: oh god, looking this up brought back memories of trying to go on pirate sites where you'd have to enter the third word of the fifth paragraph on a certain page or something like that and it would never work. Did any of those sites ever actually have stuff or were they just honeypots or ???

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Code Jockey posted:

... allegedly.

I have one of these things in my parts' closet. Still works fine (I guess), but it hasn't been used since 2001.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYNHnmCdmjI

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bought a set of some Chinese TV series on disc and it was a huge case with like 50 CDs.

I have the Romance of the Three Kingdoms set which is like that.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
VCDs are still kicking in Africa and being used to give us good poo poo like this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No movie soundtrack, no carbitch, no good mechanics; 2/10 video recorder youtube.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Max Coveri posted:

VCDs are still kicking in Africa and being used to give us good poo poo like this.

This looks loving wild

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Max Coveri posted:

Boy I did not regret clicking that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still need to watch all of Who Killed Captain Alex, the shining star of African cinema.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Max Coveri posted:

incredible

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mr.Radar posted:

Edit: oh god, looking this up brought back memories of trying to go on pirate sites where you'd have to enter the third word of the fifth paragraph on a certain page or something like that and it would never work. Did any of those sites ever actually have stuff or were they just honeypots or ???

looking back I feel like there were probably a lot of honeypot sites during the early days of warez

i'm just happy I didn't have to do hard time for downloading lemmings paintball, which was not a good game by the way

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mr.Radar posted:

They were all trying to make you click through various links to drive up page views and get to the top of various site rankings (sometimes explicitly telling you "you can't enter until you have voted for us on these five ranking pages"). It was all a scam to get more ad revenue, because ad revenue in the dotcom era was insane - advertisers paid per view, not per click or per sale, so you could literally earn thousands of dollars per month just by showing a banner ad on a vaguely popular site

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jun 20, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Do you remember those games in very early 00's where you had to trick somebody into clicking a link to boost your character? The one specifically I remember was about being a vampire, and making somebody click your link let you feed and gain power.

I was the IT guy at a web company that was mostly an ad network. I put my vampire-feed link in a 1x1 pixel iframe at the bottom of the homepage.

In the two days before my work wised up and told me to remove it, I'd amassed something like 800x the clicks of the next person, so everybody at my school stopped playing because there was no point.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVYbGPJ5AN4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I like that Miis got more low-fi over time not the opposite

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dicty Bojangles posted:

ed- but to return to topic, I tried to open my iPod Classic last night to do a microsd upgrade, bled all over the place, broke the lcd and gave up. Goddamn did they ever make that fucker impossible to open.

I’ve had excellent results using two or three guitar picks and a decent amount of patience, probably converted/swapped batteries on ten of those old bastards. You can’t hurry the procedure though.

Now the old iPod Touch’s are a nightmare, one of the few times in my life that I completely gave up taking apart an electronic device.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’ve had excellent results using two or three guitar picks and a decent amount of patience, probably converted/swapped batteries on ten of those old bastards. You can’t hurry the procedure though.

Coincidentally, I've been looking at upgrading my elderly android phone because it really struggles with podcasts, but that is the only thing i has a problem with, so it seems a bit silly to spent $200 on an upgrade. Then I realised that I have a 5G ipod with a dead HDD and it's cheaper to upgrade that.

Care to share the guide and component list you used?

Dicty Bojangles posted:

You don't need to share your guide with me, though.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

JnnyThndrs posted:

Now the old iPod Touch’s are a nightmare, one of the few times in my life that I completely gave up taking apart an electronic device.

This was the last-gen 160gb iPod Classic (video?). I had assumed it would be like the 5/6th gen which I did a long time ago but now I'm wondering if they glued the whole shebang together on the last gen or if I'm just mis-remembering how tedious it was to change the battery like I did 10 years ago... or maybe I'm just too old anymore. Anyway, had to deep-six the poor thing after all the manhandling.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple was gluing things together or otherwise making their products hard to work on. They started to hate "right to repair," and in the years I did computer service no computers made me bleed more than Mac products.

I worked with a lot of different generations of hardware, and it was weird to see the change from the era of stuff like G3 Powerbooks which were an absolute joy to work on to poo poo like the iLamps which were an absolute pain in the rear end.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple was gluing things together or otherwise making their products hard to work on. They started to hate "right to repair," and in the years I did computer service no computers made me bleed more than Mac products.

I worked with a lot of different generations of hardware, and it was weird to see the change from the era of stuff like G3 Powerbooks which were an absolute joy to work on to poo poo like the iLamps which were an absolute pain in the rear end.

From what I've seen in repair videos on YT, they're doing it now.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Manufacturers are loving assholes about letting people repair their poo poo. I was taking a vacuum apart at work because some dirt managed to get past the filters and lodged itself somewhere where it produced a constant whining sound. Everything was held together with nice T15 Torx screws except for one loving H-type screw. Just to gently caress you over.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I credit Apple with popularizing non-replaceable batteries and firmly cementing the notion that electronics that can't hold a charge anymore are junk that should be discarded and replaced.

This is more tinfoily, but I also suspect that some electronics are designed to use the battery even while supposedly charging so it wears out faster and eventually becomes impossible to use even with the charger.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doctorfrog posted:

I credit Apple with popularizing non-replaceable batteries and firmly cementing the notion that electronics that can't hold a charge anymore are junk that should be discarded and replaced.

This is more tinfoily, but I also suspect that some electronics are designed to use the battery even while supposedly charging so it wears out faster and eventually becomes impossible to use even with the charger.

but it just works!*

*may or may not just work**

**may also be underpowered and much more expensive than a pc of similar specs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I seem to remember desperately trying to work on one of those microsoft surface branded laptops (pretty sure it was actually a laptop not the tablet with the removable keyboard cover) where the only way to get into the innards was by gently peeling off the weird velvety poo poo the keyboard was made out of with a knife, because it was glued down, and despite my best efforts I ended up wrecking it anyway after like an hour of peeling

i'd rate "unglueing expensive electronics" as high as i'd rate "glass-only screen repair with a heat gun" on the terrible experiences scale

I miss brick-style thinkpads where sure there's a lot of screws but it's painless to get to most of the important bits and the battery just ejects when you slide a little latch (not the t410 though the charging port on that can die in a fire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think Sony products still sometimes have the little arrows that point only to the screws you need to remove to disassemble the product. That, and the little nubs that tell your fingers where the important buttons are or which side of the headphones you just touched, so you put them on the right way the first time.