Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arist posted:

ZMB's tone here just seems ridiculously hostile for no good reason and it's kind of exhausting.

Like, yes. Makoto becomes a cop. We know this. We have talked about this. You are not being clever, brave, or insightful by pointing it out.

Well the initial post is uh....what we refer to a poo poo post. You can tell this cause I told you to achieve class solidarity with Junpei at the end there. It's a joke it's a bit, but like

Kay Kessler posted:

Makoto beat up an abuse victim.

According to 5S spoilers, she beats up TWO abuse victims.

ACAB and that includes Makoto.

Varinn posted:

I love Makoto dearly, but I gotta say, her entire wrap up is "I'm going to join the system and reform it from the inside!" It's absolutely worse than Sae's, she completely capitulates to the system of rigged law that Sae rejects in her finale.

It cannot be overstated enough how much you've picked like the only plot beat in p5 most people don't have any issue with

Kay Kessler said the same poo poo I did in an even more aggressive tone. I'm sorry I had the audacity to discuss what was being discussed. Please just put me on ignore if you're just going to single me out every single time I do as much as just agree with someone elses post about the failings of the writing of persona. Please just leave me alone, or at least spend an afternoon dancing around someone else saying things like "Makoto beat up an abuse victim" instead of just focusing on me.

Zvahl posted:

does p5 have bad beat cops in it? I really can't remember any, and the message 'well it's corrupt from the top down to almost the bottom' is a really stupid response that takes in line makoto's dad being a perfect angel hero cop while still accounting for the up and coming sae being bad because of her ambition, not the system

i'm not going to agree with the writing about rebellion from high ups in corporate culture but it feels like the tone of the whole game was 'yeah it could be good if smart kids fixed it'

Are there even beat cops in Persona 5? They kind of avoid them at large yeah, maybe to try and justify the stuff about Makoto's dad so you don't have the game going "Nah the beat cops are poo poo too" while she talks about how good and cool he was.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are there even beat cops in Persona 5? They kind of avoid them at large yeah, maybe to try and justify the stuff about Makoto's dad so you don't have the game going "Nah the beat cops are poo poo too" while she talks about how good and cool he was.

I really and legitimately think that's what they're trying to convey, that it's fixable if enough normal people with good intentions and hearts work to make a better world using the systems they know, and all it requires is being a magic-wielding demigod with a really cool bike I guess

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I made the exact same criticism of Makoto's arc dude, I'm saying you're being incredibly overbearing and sanctimonious whenever you perceive that one of your weird bugbears is being dismissed or ignored. They're not. We've just talked about them ad nauseum.

At least have something new to say, jesus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

By the way, I don't understand that Kay Kessler post at all. Is it referring to Akechi? Because Akechi is still a murderer who was trying to murder her at the time, it's not unconscionable for her to resist. Also, she's not even a cop at that point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zvahl posted:

does p5 have bad beat cops in it? I really can't remember any, and the message 'well it's corrupt from the top down to almost the bottom' is a really stupid response that takes in line makoto's dad being a perfect angel hero cop while still accounting for the up and coming sae being bad because of her ambition, not the system

i'm not going to agree with the writing about rebellion from high ups in corporate culture but it feels like the tone of the whole game was 'yeah it could be good if smart kids fixed it'

I'm pretty sure we don't see beat cops at all in P5. I was going to say 'outside of incidental appearances', but I don't even think there are any of those in P5; there's crime scenes, but you don't really get close to them. P4, I know that does have beat cops, but the furthest down the chain we ever really interact with in any appreciable way is Tohru 'Just Made Detective' Adachi.

I don't really think P5 made any particularly grand statements about institutions akin to 'all cops are bastards', though. It was much more keen to interrogate things on a personal level, zeroing in on the specific actions of corrupt authority figures. But even then, not really in a way that absolves everybody else around that figure; Kamoshida's clearly your focal point for the problems at school, but nobody else there is really absolved or painted as completely innocent after he's out of the picture.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure we don't see beat cops at all in P5. I was going to say 'outside of incidental appearances', but I don't even think there are any of those in P5; there's crime scenes, but you don't really get close to them. P4, I know that does have beat cops, but the furthest down the chain we ever really interact with in any appreciable way is Tohru 'Just Made Detective' Adachi.

I don't really think P5 made any particularly grand statements about institutions akin to 'all cops are bastards', though. It was much more keen to interrogate things on a personal level, zeroing in on the specific actions of corrupt authority figures. But even then, not really in a way that absolves everybody else around that figure; Kamoshida's clearly your focal point for the problems at school, but nobody else there is really absolved or painted as completely innocent after he's out of the picture.

It definitely hones in on 'adults are bastards.' It just solves those problems by being video game characters

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

I made the exact same criticism of Makoto's arc dude, I'm saying you're being incredibly overbearing and sanctimonious whenever you perceive that one of your weird bugbears is being dismissed or ignored. They're not. We've just talked about them ad nauseum.

At least have something new to say, jesus.

They're not being ignored i was literally responding to other posters saying the same things! Those other posters also.talking about the thing that's been talked about ad nauseam. Stop singling me out when all I did was make a joke post then directly respond to the posters that started the discussion. Every thing has been discussed about the game and nauseam it's a years old game and this is a years old mega thread. If you dont want to read the repeat discussion that once again, other people started and are engaging in even courteously with me, dont read the thread instead of fixating on me.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I dated chie and makoto

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zvahl posted:

I really and legitimately think that's what they're trying to convey, that it's fixable if enough normal people with good intentions and hearts work to make a better world using the systems they know, and all it requires is being a magic-wielding demigod with a really cool bike I guess

The weird part is you do see agents in not- positions of powers too. The true ending has you followed by the same MIBs that worked as Shidos security. It's just specifically beat cops it avoids so its not really even them saying "Well the lower rung are just doing their jobs" its specifically the job Makotos dad has that gets the blind eye.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I dated chie and makoto

Took the song too literally.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just want to enjoy my video game about sticking it to the man. :smith:

All the kids are good kids. Well except Akechi but at least you get to dunk on him and watch him be defeated by pancakes and takoyaki.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why don't we all talk about our first "big" fusion projects that we're proud of? I used that Mediarama + Samarecarm Power as part of a long chain, and I've now got a Neko Shogun with Invigorate 2, Diarama, Resist Wind, Re Patra (via card), and Samarecarm, as well as the usual stuff. It's not a huge deal, but I did it without a guide, and I'm very proud of myself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I just want to enjoy my video game about sticking it to the man. :smith:

All the kids are good kids. Well except Akechi but at least you get to dunk on him and watch him be defeated by pancakes and takoyaki.

I mean I've said it before Persona 5 is incredibly good at hitting its tone and style as long as you engage with it on a surface level but stopping to delve into it it falls apart cause the writers weren't really engaging with it past that surface level either.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Why don't we all talk about our first "big" fusion projects that we're proud of? I used that Mediarama + Samarecarm Power as part of a long chain, and I've now got a Neko Shogun with Invigorate 2, Diarama, Resist Wind, Re Patra (via card), and Samarecarm, as well as the usual stuff. It's not a huge deal, but I did it without a guide, and I'm very proud of myself.

My first playthrough I some how bumblequeened my way into having 9/10 of the requested personas for the jail kids by happenstance. And that was kind of Neat

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 22, 2022

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I dated chie and makoto

:same:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

PMush Perfect posted:

i nuked facebook and this was 4 phones ago so i don't have the picture proof around anymore but my sraosha in persona 4 vanilla with all the auto makaja spells took me like an hour of X X O X X O X X O

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Game should have let me date ryuji

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

in nocturne i had a fly form beelzebub who was immune to everything except almighty it was not worth the hour of select canceling but it was great

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Game should have let me date ryuji

heart full of love, head full of empty

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, Naoto hot take: Naoto as a trans girl.

... Yeah, I can see that interpretation working. :hmmyes:

Junpei Hyde posted:

I dated chie and makoto

:yeah: :same: :shobon:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PMush Perfect posted:

I honestly can't remember any of my fusion projects from before like, Devil Survivor 2 and even then, my first big projects from that game were the invincible Titania and Purple Mirror. I do have a fun one from vanilla P5 though.

https://twitter.com/chaosargate/status/860276334047756288?s=21

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zvahl posted:

That's because SMT and Persona have the exact same ideas, they just frame them slightly differently in accordance with their different tones.

It's all about how Humanity can be improved in a fundamental way, a way much bigger than the petty modern politics of Japan or any single country. We can live without gods or demons and we can make ourselves a more just and kind people and the path to this is through the example of folks like the various Persona kids or SMT main characters.

Persona 5 doesn't really care about the problems of modern Japan, they're just one avenue of exploring the same themes all Persona and SMT games explore.

PMush Perfect posted:

Given how everything had become braindead easy by the end of P4G I set about the objective of making Lucifer my ultimate Persona as a way to keep up my interest in the gameplay.

Bufudyne, Ice Amp, Mind Charge, Power Charge, Primal Force, Megidolaon, Spell Master and Repel Light.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
In fun news, I managed to get the Magician card in Shuffle time multiple times for the same persona. It eventually led to this monstrosity:

Akasha arts and Brave Blade is pretty hilarious. Now to find out how to get Arms Master.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it'S important to remember than in Persona you had the New World Order ran by the Foreign Minister and it includes a top General and the head of the Sumaru police force, among others.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

My first playthrough I some how bumblequeened my way into having 9/10 of the requested personas for the jail kids by happenstance. And that was kind of meat

It helped that they ask for reasonable things, Margaret asking for a Matador with Mahama as one of her first requests was a huge "gently caress you".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The first request is for a skill the Persona learns naturally. I made a Jack Frost and it immediately leveled up and learned Mabufu and I was like, "oh."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5 is a game that repeatedly show that societies ruling forces are corrupt from the bottom to the very top and its not just part of one person's crimes of conspiracy and Makoto, upon learning all the horrors of this world, decides to be a cop, but like.....a good one. Either the writers are incredibly stupid or Makoto the character is.

Persona 5 is a game that ends with you solving your problems by shooting Bad Vibes in the head

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How strict is golden on getting 100% social links on a new game? I think I know my way around this series and I've been doing things fairly efficiently (haven't "wasted" any days yet besides a few extra dungeon sessions instead of doing everything in one day), but is it even remotely feasible to do this without guides in this game? I know it definitely wasn't in the original but I don't know how it shakes out between the addition of extra time and activities and two more links.

basically i'm asking if i should just stop trying now (in august) if it's not going to happen anyway

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't forget there are level 3 versions of your team's personas you also need to work towards that also were new additions. I'd guess it works out to be about the same (so very tight schedule-wise) though probably overall still easier than the original thanks to the shrine you can visit at night which can boost a S. Link so they level up sooner.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shooting Bad Vibes in the head explicitly does not solve all or even most of your problems, though? Yaldy embodies and amplifies human desire to be controlled, but he didn't create it. Given the pattern with P3 and P4's final bosses we can probably infer the opposite: he was created by them. So, Yaldabaoth exists in a cycle where he is strengthened by the very attitude he intentionally cultivates in the populace, him feeding the public and the public feeding him, his power growing in the process. In the end, the Phantom Thieves do something similar: their reappearance gives hope back to the citizens, who immediately gather and use that hope to strength the Phantom Thieves in return, allowing you to kill Yaldabaoth, shocking the system and returning to your old reality.

And then you immediately get arrested and your friends have to do collective action to get you released. Upon closer examination I see why people read the endgame as just "Yaldy controlled everything so we don't actually have to think about these problems" but the game never really suggests those problems are going to go away. Really, the only tangible, obvious effect on public perception is that people turn their backs on Shido, much in the same way that a generally comfortable person might protest an injustice they have become aware of in the moment but go home and not work to deal with the same problems when they are less visible or exist in their own lives. No matter how easy it might be to make someone care, it's incredibly hard to make someone keep caring--actively, anyway. Of course, the current sustained global protests over police brutality haven't gone away, to their credit, but unfortunately they seem to be something of an outlier.

But anyway, I really don't interpret P5's ending in that way. The last scene of the original game involves the Phantom Thieves going on a roadtrip while reading off what seem to be the requests of people who still need their help. There's always more to do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have absolutely done all of P4G's Social Links in one run from scratch before. I'm not saying you're necessarily on track for it, but even if you don't make it you can probably make enough time to see the Links you care about to the end.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean of course i wouldn't stop doing links lol, i was just thinking if I should stop trying to do them all and just start focusing on the ones I for sure want to finish and see what comes after that. But I guess I'll keep at it. I managed this on my first playthrough of P5 on literally the last free day you have in the game and let me tell you it felt real good

the game totally fakes you out, too, you have like three extra days after it totally seems like you would be completely locked into the endgame so for a while there I was sure I missed the 100% game by a hair

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Amppelix posted:

How strict is golden on getting 100% social links on a new game? I think I know my way around this series and I've been doing things fairly efficiently (haven't "wasted" any days yet besides a few extra dungeon sessions instead of doing everything in one day), but is it even remotely feasible to do this without guides in this game? I know it definitely wasn't in the original but I don't know how it shakes out between the addition of extra time and activities and two more links.

basically i'm asking if i should just stop trying now (in august) if it's not going to happen anyway
It's pretty tight. I would be stunned if someone pulled it off totally blind on their first playthrough (because you won't know what stats to max by when) and extra dungeon time has probably made it impossible.

It's probably doable without a guide but not before you've played through the game once and have an idea how to approach stat growth.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 19, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you want to TRY, go for it, but you’re better off just focusing on the ones you like. How far in are you?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I did say that, i'm on mitsuo now

and I'm not blind at all. despite never having played either version, i've seen several playthroughs of the original and snippets of golden, so I do know what stats to rush, and what links happen when and go away when. like i said i'll keep at it, i figure i'll know later if it's not going to happen and will have plenty of time to do the stuff i really want.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That’s fair. Whatever’s fun for you, I’m just trying to imagine someone playing blind and genuinely going for 100% and it’s very :ohdear:.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Going for 100 isn't really any different from playing normally, I assume most people "go for 100" on their first playthrough even though they don't make it. Like I was "going for 100" but I have level 3 death, level 3 tower, and level 3 sadmom on December 22nd so uh... it's not happening.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, if you're not worried about efficiency you can do things like take the dungeons real slow, spend time just making money, etc.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chie's a bastard, Makoto is a bastard, akihiko is a bastard, Mitsuru is a multi millionaire CEO, Haru is working on taking over her dads poo poo AND open her own chain to become one as well, Yukiko is a upper middle classs small business tyrant, Yosuke is the son of a corporate franchiser coming to destroy the lives of the working class, Naoto is a private bastard.

Achieve Class Solidarity with Junpei and face to bloodshed.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I dated chie and makoto

Solidarity ended with junpei. Now, koromaru is the only true comrade.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Once you get access to Invigorates and Megido spells to deal with rare shadows, it becomes pretty easy to smash through dungeons in a single day. Heck, you can pretty much grind dungeons for gold and exp and then devote your time to doing social links and raising stats.

Granted, I’m getting to the end of summer vacation after Shadow Mitsuo and haven’t started Tower or Hanged Man. Don’t think I’m gonna complete those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
y'all are getting way too angry and heated over games about high schoolers punching people's brains

just enjoy the fun video game with the hard difficulty and good music