Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

👎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cams posted:

cum gutters are a slang term for the ridges that form along someone's hips when their abdomen is well defined

that doesn't make it ok

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Horny posting or not, a joke about Jim and wife opening an onlyfans is good poo poo.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i thought the argument against that post was generally objectifying the dude but if it is an objection purely to the phrase "cum gutters" then yeah, i am outside the acceptable range of posting. times have passed me by and i am a relic.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The Randy Orton Man Love Locker Room was a pinnacle of this forum

That was 13 years ago

Times have changed - I'm all for prohibiting horny

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cams posted:

cum gutters are a slang term for the ridges that form along someone's hips when their abdomen is well defined

if you don't see words like that as a problem, you're part of it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TTBF posted:

If the mods thought that post wasn't worth taking action on then maybe we need new mods.

Yeah, why can't we pick a couple of people who have been bothered by those posts who still want to be a part of the forum to be mods? If there's a problem that people are calling out and those people are being ignored but now the majority of the people here want to make a positive change, then it would make sense to make someone who does still want to be around here (and no shame if someone doesn't) to put everyone in line. I dunno. Who knows. But that linked post is pretty gross.

I started typing a quantifier like "I don't think I've ever posted anything that gross" but it doesn't really matter if I thought something I posted was gross or not. Apologies for my bad posts and any bad feelings they caused anyone.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Quit trying to post through this cams.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

MorrisBae posted:

The Randy Orton Man Love Locker Room was a pinnacle of this forum
That was 13 years ago

13 years to get the horny teen constant need to sexualize everything out I would hope.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
:chast2b:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

One interesting thing has been fans on twitter piling on about wrestler silence when they themselves have posted a massive amount of gross horny poo poo and then “oh no they follow me now guess I’ll stop posting about wanting their dick”

I’ve commented a couple times about wrestlers being hot in this forum and I’ll quit and I’m glad comfortable about speaking out.

And Rarity, your new av is perfection!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, why can't we pick a couple of people who have been bothered by those posts who still want to be a part of the forum to be mods? If there's a problem that people are calling out and those people are being ignored but now the majority of the people here want to make a positive change, then it would make sense to make someone who does still want to be around here (and no shame if someone doesn't) to put everyone in line. I dunno. Who knows. But that linked post is pretty gross.

As one of the people who's clearly stepped over the line, it's not up to them to regulate our behaviour for us and we shouldn't be putting that responsibility on them. If someone wants to take on such a role then that's great but it shouldn't be expected and we need to be able to lock down our own poo poo without external input.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

I started typing a quantifier like "I don't think I've ever posted anything that gross" but it doesn't really matter if I thought something I posted was gross or not. Apologies for my bad posts and any bad feelings they caused anyone.

The mod system in general is bad because it relies on one or two people's arbitrary judgement with no real community voice but that's another thread.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

thanks for that introspective admission. it's an awkward and cool thing to do, even if it turns out you haven't said anything gross by anyone's standards.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

cams posted:

i thought the argument against that post was generally objectifying the dude but if it is an objection purely to the phrase [edit: removed the actual term] then yeah, i am outside the acceptable range of posting. times have passed me by and i am a relic.

It's both. There's a clear distinction between "Hey, Okada looks better in the shorts" or "Shida is cute in her instagram post here" and the objectifying that's on display here. "That's just horny posting" is a thin veil of an excuse.

If you can't distinguish between these, you should really go back and read the way the creeps being called out talk. Don't do that.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 20, 2020

cams
Mar 28, 2003

TTBF posted:

Quit trying to post through this cams.

post through what, i am interested in this conversation and being genuine about my thoughts. in real time, reading this thread, i am realizing that my scale for what is acceptable to post is insanely off and i either need to change it or stop posting. don't know how many times i can say i have been part of the problem before people listen to that.

i am being very honest when i say that i find nothing wrong with the phrase "cum gutters" and am genuinely taken aback that people do. it's gross, sure, but not offensive to me. but clearly that is due to my perspective and i need to be more aware of the general attitudes and adjust accordingly, or not participate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

the escape goat posted:

And Rarity, your new av is perfection!

Thanks, I'm embracing my inner Karen :D

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A lot of people have conflated "wrestling is a cosmetic business and for better or worse, visuals and aesthetics are important" with "I should be allowed to post about wanting to live in wrestlers' asses and you're the weird one if you have a problem with it"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rarity posted:

As one of the people who's clearly stepped over the line, it's not up to them to regulate our behaviour for us and we shouldn't be putting that responsibility on them. If someone wants to take on such a role then that's great but it shouldn't be expected and we need to be able to lock down our own poo poo without external input.

Well right, that's why I said if someone wants to be a mod. Nobody needs to be forced to look at the lovely posts and decided that they're lovely, and a lot of people have been driven away by lovely posts but all I was saying is, if someone is still here who used to like it and now doesn't and wants to shut that poo poo down then that'd be a pretty good person to do it (if they want) since the current mods apparently aren't listening to them.

I'm not expecting anyone to want to do it, but the main point is we evidently need mods who are willing to actually listen to people and act.

Edit: Also, I don't want this to seem like I'm trying to argue with you or anything. I think most of us all want to make the forums better for everyone and stop the stuff that bothers people, so I think we agree at a core level on that. There've only been a handful of posters I've really found terrible and annoying (I'm sure there'd be more if I paid more attention to more threads) and you've for sure never been one of them.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 19, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

This is also a good point.

I'd be happy to see the horny posting go away but I would want to see a solid definition of what that is as part of moving forward. Wrestling has an inherent sexual aspect and that's not going away so we need good guidelines for ourselves on what's cool and what is too much.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

today isn't the first time i brought up my concerns about the gross posting culture.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1274078353469984768

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rarity posted:

Thanks, I'm embracing my inner Karen :D

I miss the pony av.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

And nothing of value was lost

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

cams posted:

i thought the argument against that post was generally objectifying the dude but if it is an objection purely to the phrase "cum gutters" then yeah, i am outside the acceptable range of posting. times have passed me by and i am a relic.

Hi, this is the wrong thread for this. Just let it go, and let the thread stay on topic.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

That link sucked to read

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Benne posted:

A lot of people have conflated "wrestling is a cosmetic business and for better or worse, visuals and aesthetics are important" with "I should be allowed to post about wanting to live in wrestlers' asses and you're the weird one if you have a problem with it"
this is where a lot of my problem is, in that i primarily see the sentiment as the substance and the language is just color. i really don't register much of a difference between someone saying "i am sexually attracted to this wrestler" and the sorts of examples that have been thrown about. when i saw people object to horny posts i tended to see it as moral objections to sexuality rather than anything else. but, again, this is my problem with not considering the feelings and perspectives of others, i am not saying that other people need to change or get used to it. i was, and still am, in the wrong with how i think about it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think a lot of this feels like some of the conversations these forums (and lots of other places) have had over the years about "ironic _____ism", it's been stuck in my head ever since all of the Warren Ellis stuff started exploding in the comics sphere.

I was posting on the Warren Ellis Forum (and on SA) twenty years ago as a teenager, and the whole Thing on the Internet back then was this sort of Rock Star Alt Culture Freak Out the Squares pose of being 'edgy' or 'iconoclastic' and breaking taboos. I am confident that a great deal of the ironic hate speech, memes, jokes about dead babies and rape and concentration camps was in fact entirely ironic and not reflective of people's actual beliefs.

It also creates a great smokescreen for people to test boundaries or "kid on the square" or whatever else, and when it turns out people are actual predators or groomers or etc. there's an air of "ha ha, you're not in on the joke, it's all a joke!" that obfuscates everything.

Which isn't to say that we have a bunch of sexual predators lurking in the AEW thread being horny, but it's something to think about, in terms of how a newcomer might perceive the thread after experiencing similar in-groups throughout their lives.

SA (and the wrestling subforum) has obviously come a long way from 2000, or even however long ago it was when there were "running gags" about living inside female wrestlers' asses though the pro-horny bloc sometimes are back to skirting that line. I don't think aesthetically appreciating athletes or even declaring crushes on them is out of bounds, and I'd say "would you actually say this to them" would be a good rule of thumb, except I've seen what wrestling fans will say on Twitter to scratch that.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I think a lot of this feels like some of the conversations these forums (and lots of other places) have had over the years about "ironic _____ism", it's been stuck in my head ever since all of the Warren Ellis stuff started exploding in the comics sphere.

I was posting on the Warren Ellis Forum (and on SA) twenty years ago as a teenager, and the whole Thing on the Internet back then was this sort of Rock Star Alt Culture Freak Out the Squares pose of being 'edgy' or 'iconoclastic' and breaking taboos. I am confident that a great deal of the ironic hate speech, memes, jokes about dead babies and rape and concentration camps was in fact entirely ironic and not reflective of people's actual beliefs.

It also creates a great smokescreen for people to test boundaries or "kid on the square" or whatever else, and when it turns out people are actual predators or groomers or etc. there's an air of "ha ha, you're not in on the joke, it's all a joke!" that obfuscates everything.

Which isn't to say that we have a bunch of sexual predators lurking in the AEW thread being horny, but it's something to think about, in terms of how a newcomer might perceive the thread after experiencing similar in-groups throughout their lives.

SA (and the wrestling subforum) has obviously come a long way from 2000, or even however long ago it was when there were "running gags" about living inside female wrestlers' asses though the pro-horny bloc sometimes are back to skirting that line. I don't think aesthetically appreciating athletes or even declaring crushes on them is out of bounds, and I'd say "would you actually say this to them" would be a good rule of thumb, except I've seen what wrestling fans will say on Twitter to scratch that.

This is the same reason that "ironic" racism got banned from Let's Play's of Paradox games.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Reporting does not work on this forum. I reported a post in the Chris Regal thread, just to ask if a mod could make a ruling about posting blatant bigotry and transphobia that weren't "stupid wrestling opinions" and just disgusting psychopaths on twitter. This was before the most recent time that it happened again. Nothing happened at all. I reported a guy in the UFC thread for calling someone a pedophile based on nothing. Nothing happened. If you report Eat My Fuc he'll eat a week for being annoying, but anything beyond uhh, "Disruptive posting" gets swept under the rug. This subforum is rotten, even if I dearly enjoy the company of many who post in it. Anyways, I hope a lot of the people credibly accused get properly punished for their sex crimes. Bye.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Edge & Christian posted:

Reminds me of the Popehat "Rule Of Goats"

https://twitter.com/popehat/status/858722120620265473?lang=en

In other words, if you're doing the thing as a joke, you're still doing the thing. The goat isn't any less hosed.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
A Facebook page called InfoGiz literally just screen shotted the list of names from the OP and is disseminating it around Facebook right now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the link that was posted, i can't figure out why i used JOHN CENA's "problem" line back at them when i was defending that EMF was making a pretty good barb at the forum by comparing that gross tweet to the aew thread. it can't have been a coincidence instead and i am embarrassed

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

it's weird that this is the only subforum where goons posting for literal pages about who they want to gently caress is totally fine

is still a valid point

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I must have way differently calibrated sensibilities than I thought, because I'm pretty :chast2b: in general, and the AEW threads (only ones I really post in) have been pretty mild and have only really gotten weird/gross to the point of needing a corrective maybe a half dozen times.

Everyone stays pretty chill and positive, and most of the gawking at athlete bodies is confined to posting their own tweets or :swoon: or :stwoon: type stuff (less uhh, drooling over "cum gutters")

regardless, I want everyone to feel included and have fun posting, because GDTs are so fun and if people are feeling they can't hang that sucks, so yeah. it'd have to be a two-pronged approach to cleaning some stuff up, 1 is cultural shift and personal accountability, the other is moderator enforcement of obviously line crossing stuff, the first part is pretty easy and i feel most regulars are open to it, the latter sounds like it might be a problem :(

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I don't even think the people that post mad horny or the weird quasi-death wishing are bad people or anything, just that some sort of line was established. If you want to post that kind of stuff, the first thought should be "am I willing to risk a ban or probation to make this kind of joke". There should be a basis for some sort of rules so it doesn't create an environment that encourages those kinds of things. If no one ever get punished for it it becomes endemic to discussions, threads, and the whole subforum to the point where it drives people away. I'm never going to say I never made a lovely joke or something, but any time I did I had to think "is this type of humor worth breaking a rule for"

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
edit: this was a repost

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Benne posted:

Definitely agree with this.

I’ll also add that I stopped following AEW threads due to the hornyposting. I think there is definitely an acceptable line that I think this forum did a good job at holding up until pretty much the start of dynamite, at which point the floodgates opened. I think we can go back to happy medium.

There’s a difference between “SANADA’s so handsome :swoon:!” and “cum gutters”

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In lighter news, at least King is still cool :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Sienna/status/1274061174678663169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

is still a valid point
this is part of why i am completely open to the idea that my idea of how people wanna post on this forum is completely out of date, cause i had to think about whether or not that was true for a second. been posting here long enough that i used to pirate, among other things, pornography from torrents on this forum. i have accepted that my idea of how people wanna post is completely divorced from the modern reality.