Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
If I could do blueprints...I would build a freeway for trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oxyclean posted:

I can respect that logic. I haven't fallen to a consistent strategy yet - I like the idea of centralizing but it's not entirely convenient for me to do so at the stage of the game I'm at.

Doing some stuff on-location makes sense to me - I found a ton of coal by some big lakes, so I might as well just do power all right there. (And I also actually forgot my ratios a bit because after deciding I'd dedicate that spot to power and find other coal for steel, I eventually re-did the math and realized I have enough coal there to do 48 coal plants. I know it'd be foolish to call that overkill, but I assume I can probably reach another power source before I hit capacity.)

For the time being my decisions lead a bit towards how annoying it is to move things. I belt Caterium ingots rather then quickwire since its more dense in terms of belt capacity.

I have a steel facility that's doing beams/pipes/encased since i had some coal and iron near each other and not a particularly easy way to belt the steel home.

On a different note, I unlocked hypertubes, how would I want to set them up if I have multiple destinations in the same direction? Is there a setup to split the tube, or is it just easiest to have a stop-off where it dumps me out and I hop into another?

Having a hyperhub is probably easiest. I haven't really hosed around making tubes to my outposts, I probably should. You can't split them.

And coal power in situ makes sense, like I mentioned earlier, but now that I'm dealing with compacted coal and fuel gennys and such all that changes too.

LifeSunDeath posted:

If I could do blueprints...I would build a freeway for trucks.

Just let us make roads using the same science that makes the railroads go bendy. I could spend hours just laying roads.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

On a different note, I unlocked hypertubes, how would I want to set them up if I have multiple destinations in the same direction? Is there a setup to split the tube, or is it just easiest to have a stop-off where it dumps me out and I hop into another?

There’s no way to split a tube that I’m aware of, so stop offs are pretty much the only way to do branches.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Also this game needs hoverjunkers style floating platforms, so you can build from on high and move around easily. I know I keep asking so much of this game, but it feels like it's so close to being perfect.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Most things that you build continue to be useful until the end of the game. I tend to build as close to the node as possible, then, if I need to make something else that uses the same ore, I'll just find another node.

Like, after steel, you'll still need iron plates, and, in fact, even more of them. Doesn't make sense to siphon off from production that I need to be expanding.

However, if this was like factorio and I could just stamp down a big belt highway, I might think differently. A big, centralized base where I can just clone stamp production buildings until I'm using up all the ore, then go out and find more ore and just feed it to "the base" is attractive, but dang is it a lot more clicks to make happen.

e:also, yes, just let me hover and build things.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just realized I have wall holes for tubes and so I can now create a janky elevator system for my multistory buildings.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Also this game needs hoverjunkers style floating platforms, so you can build from on high and move around easily. I know I keep asking so much of this game, but it feels like it's so close to being perfect.

Yeah, I hate the idea of stuff just floating around for no reason, but if I could have a more diegetic way to do it, I'd be all in. Let me make a floating ultra-factory that I can move across the world like the twilight terminator.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, I hate the idea of stuff just floating around for no reason, but if I could have a more diegetic way to do it, I'd be all in. Let me make a floating ultra-factory that I can move across the world like the twilight terminator.

Oh lol that would be cool too... I was just thinking a slow hover platform to build from a distance on, instead of building observation towers or long free floating walkways and stuff...like let me have hovermode but to make it less cheaty, make it like a barge I fly around.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There is a flying later.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I really wish the jetpack would let me hover in place and build things, but that's not how it works.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So once you have fuel generators, they're pretty much your go-to powerplant yeah? My huge blob of coal generators has served me well, but I'm ramping up plastic production and am swimming in Fuel precursor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I just realized I have wall holes for tubes and so I can now create a janky elevator system for my multistory buildings.

Just don't be like me and have power usage line up just right to trip the breaker and you're trapped on the third floor.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The possibilities for future expansion to this game are really exciting. The tech trees already go much further than I would have expected, especially for a game still in EA. It's a massive time sink but I love it :allears:

Is there a roadmap or any info about Update 4 out there?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Orvin posted:

Couple of questions:

1. Will the higher mark miners overbuild the lower mark miners? Or is there a size difference? Just wanting to know how much room to leave before any splitters for future proofing.

2. Will I unlock better smelters? Or is the base 30/min smelter it? Not unlocking anything more efficient would explain some of the alternate recipes I saw. My first reaction to iron ore + copper ore = iron ingots was “This seems like a waste”. But I kinda get it after playing a bit. Especially since I got the iron wire alternate recipe.

3. What tier unlocks a production facility that has a solid and liquid input? I unlocked an alternate recipe that uses water to make copper sheets, but I don’t seem to have the building available yet.

You can direct replace miners with their higher versions just like belts. Don't have to deconstruct anything.

Smelters never upgrade but the foundry and refinery have alternate recipes that are much better. The "Pure" series of refinery alt recipes give you about 2x the ingots from ore and are much faster, at the cost of using a refinery with lower power efficiency. Refinerys are the ones that use solid + liquid.

Leal posted:

drat getting rid of screws is a game changer, isn't it?

Depends on your design strategy. I think getting rid of rods is better because they're slow af and cast screws combine well with a lot of the improved alternate recipes. All the alternate recipes have some sort of use. They aren't all equally useful but even the worst ones are at least faster.

An example of this is bolted iron plate which I love but some people call trash:
90/min plates, 250/min screws produce 15 reinforced plate per minute, which combines perfectly with casted screws alternate @ 50/min screw production.
Comes out as five screw constructors linked by a tier 3 belt, and five (4.5 rounded up) plate constructors.
135 iron/min for the plates
12.5 iron/min for the screws
9.83 iron per reinforced plate with only one assembler

The real savior is actually the cast screw recipe because its the rods that take up the most space and time to make.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

So what materials should I have before I go hunting for hard drives?

Also is a biohazard suit or something for the poison clouds, or do I just need to keep healing?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Han Nehi posted:

So what materials should I have before I go hunting for hard drives?

Also is a biohazard suit or something for the poison clouds, or do I just need to keep healing?

Just keep some general stuff like rotors, encased beams, or motors. Keep mats for 2-3 biomass burners + a stack of biofuel if you run into a wreck that needs power. Have some beacons on hand if you run into one you can't open just to mark what it needs.

There's a gas mask further down the tech tree that negates poison, but I just facetank the damage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mostly just carry basic stuff. A lot of the crash site have advanced materials scattered around and can often be used to open other crash sites. Most important thing to bring is a bunch of beacons so you can mark where it is and what it needs if you need to come back.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dang did they change it so you don't have to keep all of your power on separate lines to keep from tripping the breaker? I just got all the way to coal doing it the old fashioned way

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Things to bring exploring:
Tons of concrete for ramps
the stuff to make a a mam so you can stick hard drives in it, deconstruct it and have them keep researching while you're exploring.
Your whole hub. Plop this down to set a spawn point before you encounter something dangerous.
The most common requirement is power, and two biomass burners should be enough to open most of them. You don't need to take fuel with you, you ought to be able to find sticks and leaves nearby.
Make sure you always have enough to build a craft bench, and some basic materials to craft up to whatever the hard drive needs.

Impermanent posted:

Dang did they change it so you don't have to keep all of your power on separate lines to keep from tripping the breaker? I just got all the way to coal doing it the old fashioned way

This was never how it worked.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No, it definitely was how it worked in the alpha. You couldn't string different power plants together - each had their own independent breaker

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Most setups are..
3-4 bio generators linked together you only trip breaker if you surpass the output of the 3-4

You do need a separate biomas generator to power your pumps / extractor / coalmine I currently have my 4 coal plants running each to a single power pole.. then to 3 then to 2 then to 1 then that 1 to a close one that acts as a throw switch in case I overload my coals I can fire up biomass and get the stuff running again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Impermanent posted:

No, it definitely was how it worked in the alpha. You couldn't string different power plants together - each had their own independent breaker

Oh, well, It's never been the case for the public release. I was not very early on the closed alpha.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh, well, It's never been the case for the public release. I was not very early on the closed alpha.

no prob, i'm just glad to know they fixed it at some point. I dropped off a while before it got to anything like the public release because it met my internal barometer for "good bones but needs polish." now seems like a good time to dive back in. they have indeed polished a lot!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Impermanent posted:

no prob, i'm just glad to know they fixed it at some point. I dropped off a while before it got to anything like the public release because it met my internal barometer for "good bones but needs polish." now seems like a good time to dive back in. they have indeed polished a lot!

Yeah we have all the bones, like 3/4th of the flesh, and everything that’s in is fully functional.

There is still quite a bit of jank, and we’re missing key polish features like the ability to set up three foundries with paired splitter inputs then copy and paste all the entries and connections, flood-fill foundation/wall sections, or some equivalent to Factorio logistics so I don’t have to climb all over stacks of shipping cans to manage my personal inventory once I’ve got homemade jetpacks, RDX, and a hunting rifle made out of spare parts.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

The real savior is actually the cast screw recipe because its the rods that take up the most space and time to make.

See, I have no beef with rods, because Steel Rods (12 steel ingots -> 48 iron rods/minute) was one of the first alternates I unlocked. Screws are still the devil, though, even with the Steel Screws alt (5 steel beams -> 260 steel screws/minute), just because anything that needs them needs so many of them. Screws are the main reason I'm researching Logistics 4 next.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The steel beam screw recipe is amazing because I took a production line down from something like 16 constructors to 6.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ToxicFrog posted:

See, I have no beef with rods, because Steel Rods (12 steel ingots -> 48 iron rods/minute) was one of the first alternates I unlocked. Screws are still the devil, though, even with the Steel Screws alt (5 steel beams -> 260 steel screws/minute), just because anything that needs them needs so many of them. Screws are the main reason I'm researching Logistics 4 next.

The very concept of pissing Steel away on Rods as a matter of course hurts my brain. The screws recipe I can get behind as that’s 6.5x the manufacture rate; without the extra 20/s it saves 10 machinesworth of space, plus horsing around with all the feeds. Few of the places where I’m automating rods in large numbers are near an existing steel ingot consumer, not near a convenient iron ingot feed, and not already sited with the rest of production in an area intended to be extensible.

Also my current run awkwardly has been running on just a pair of Normal coal nodes; I‘ve got 240/m coal feeding six Foundries and 240/m feeding a split can farm which then feeds 18 coal plants, plus another 6 coal plants chewing rapidly through banked Petro-Coke, but finally have residual fuel running four diesel plants and before I went to bed got double that capacity of original refining online. Goal is to double steel throughout by dispensing with the entire coal-burning arrangement; an intermediate step will probably be traveling to my next-nearest oil deposit in order to plow the entire thing into a fuel farm.

Extending a leg of my hypertube backbone another klick or so will let me run spurs off of that leg to whatever nodes are along it, too, for future exploitation. Someday I have to, like, do things in the outside world again!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poo poo, I got myself in a rut I can't get out of. I was midway through a long session, and decided to tear down my initial production lines (4 or 6 Iron-related lines), lay down flooring, and redo it in an organized fashion.

Then work got insane, I didn't play for like 10 days, and now I keep loading the game, realizing I can barely remember what it looked like before, and quitting out because the thought of redoing it from scratch like that is too intimidating.

I dunno if I should just start fresh, or just go back to the last save before I tore everything down.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also, I like to get really loving baked and play this game, but I really should figure one of those production-line simulation tools and do some math beforehand, because my first forays into Assemblers was a nightmare of shifting production lines between screws, pipes, and plates, instead of figuring out the proper inputs/outputs to avoid those kinds of situations. Anybody have any good advice for pre-planning?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This is how I do it. Simple stuff using notepad and a calculator. It takes a bit of time, but it's very satisfying when it runs.

code:
2.81 HEF (1)
	7.5 Bolted Frame (2)
		11.25 BIP (1)
			67.5 Iron Plate (2)
				11.25 Steel Ingot
				7.5 Plastic
			187.5 Screw (4)
				47 Iron Ingots
		210 Screw (5)
			52.5 Iron Ingots
	9.375 EIB (2)
		37.44 Steel Beam (3)
			149.4 Steel Ingots
		46.8 Concrete (4)
			140.4 Limestone
	33.75 Steel Pipe (2)
		50.4 Steel Ingots
	20.625 Concrete (2)
		63 Limestone

Iron Ingots: 99.5
Limestone: 203.4
Steel Ingots: 211.05
Plastic: 7.5

Total factories: 28
In regards to forgetting how poo poo works, I recommend either ripping everything apart and doing bare-bones poo poo to get back into it, or just starting over so you're not overwhelmed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

This is how I do it. Simple stuff using notepad and a calculator. It takes a bit of time, but it's very satisfying when it runs.

code:
2.81 HEF (1)
	7.5 Bolted Frame (2)
		11.25 BIP (1)
			67.5 Iron Plate (2)
				11.25 Steel Ingot
				7.5 Plastic
			187.5 Screw (4)
				47 Iron Ingots
		210 Screw (5)
			52.5 Iron Ingots
	9.375 EIB (2)
		37.44 Steel Beam (3)
			149.4 Steel Ingots
		46.8 Concrete (4)
			140.4 Limestone
	33.75 Steel Pipe (2)
		50.4 Steel Ingots
	20.625 Concrete (2)
		63 Limestone

Iron Ingots: 99.5
Limestone: 203.4
Steel Ingots: 211.05
Plastic: 7.5

Total factories: 28
In regards to forgetting how poo poo works, I recommend either ripping everything apart and doing bare-bones poo poo to get back into it, or just starting over so you're not overwhelmed.

Why not just use a spread sheet? No need to use calculator and it auto updates formulas.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why not just use a spread sheet? No need to use calculator and it auto updates formulas.

I do not know how.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I do not know how.

oh, alright. well, if you're doing any kind of calculations like this, spreadsheets at a minimum will keep things aligned easily, even if you're not using any formulas.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

oh, alright. well, if you're doing any kind of calculations like this, spreadsheets at a minimum will keep things aligned easily, even if you're not using any formulas.

Honestly, when I can put hundreds of hours into learning how video game factory go brrr, I can probably learn how to spreadsheet. Probably should.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

poo poo, I got myself in a rut I can't get out of. I was midway through a long session, and decided to tear down my initial production lines (4 or 6 Iron-related lines), lay down flooring, and redo it in an organized fashion.

Then work got insane, I didn't play for like 10 days, and now I keep loading the game, realizing I can barely remember what it looked like before, and quitting out because the thought of redoing it from scratch like that is too intimidating.

I dunno if I should just start fresh, or just go back to the last save before I tore everything down.

I feel your pain. I tore down an iron line to get everything put in through my water-assisted refinery, and now I can’t remember where the line I tore down goes.

My advice is - do you have all of the cosmetics you want? Windows, conveyor doors, stairs, etc.? Do you have better recipes that you want to use? If so to either, reload or rebuild in that save, because even re-doing it from scratch will result in something better than you’d make if you started a whole new game.

If you haven’t bothered with cosmetics, maybe it’s time to try a new land and see new challenges.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Black Griffon posted:

Honestly, when I can put hundreds of hours into learning how video game factory go brrr, I can probably learn how to spreadsheet. Probably should.

Google Sheets is free. It doesn't do everything Excel does, but should be enough to get you started (although I haven't compared Sheets lately, maybe they've added more stuff).

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Assuming you don’t do spreadsheets often, a good idea is set a few cells at the top to be whatever rate your recipe does and then reference that through the rest of it when doing calculations. Makes it easier to just update one cell for something new that have to do each one along the chain.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is what kind of kills me about this game I really wish I didn't need to dick around with perfecting the flow etc.. and maybe I don't but it still kind of sucks. I hated this about facrorio too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

tater_salad posted:

This is what kind of kills me about this game I really wish I didn't need to dick around with perfecting the flow etc.. and maybe I don't but it still kind of sucks. I hated this about facrorio too.

That's the best part about satisfactory, you really don't need to min/max. You can make most things in the crafting machine, or like an idiot like me and just hand feed poo poo into manufactures to do all the space elevator research. Unlike factorio, being efficiency isn't necessary but since resources don't run out, you can eventually tidy up and make it more efficient for aesthetics if you want, or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

I feel your pain. I tore down an iron line to get everything put in through my water-assisted refinery, and now I can’t remember where the line I tore down goes.

My advice is - do you have all of the cosmetics you want? Windows, conveyor doors, stairs, etc.? Do you have better recipes that you want to use? If so to either, reload or rebuild in that save, because even re-doing it from scratch will result in something better than you’d make if you started a whole new game.

If you haven’t bothered with cosmetics, maybe it’s time to try a new land and see new challenges.

tbh I've barely got floors down, I'm a ways off from fully-enclosed factories!

tater_salad posted:

Yeah, the production requirements etc. are different enough from each other that it starts to get difficult to coordinate things. The problem is that for me personally, the least fun part of the game is dealing with an Assembler that has a massive overload of one component, and a huge shortage of the other. It's just kind of a pain in the rear end to re-route belts or change production lines without throwing something else out of whack too.