Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nah probably rude to spoil a movie in a game thread for a joke no matter how related.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

Nah probably rude to spoil a movie in a game thread as a joke no matter how related.

If its the one I'm thinking of the computer was as much of a bro as he could be.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

They should set some sort of paid overtime system for shifts. You can go over your 15 minutes, it costs more the longer you go.

Meaning you pay for the overtime, because LYNX.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chev posted:

I was gonna point that out too, but after thinking for a bit about how this whole thing's been set up I suspect if you don't pay off your debt after five years you're probably just incinerated and your memories copied to a fresh one G body.

At the slowest possible rate (making half a million a day) it would take 5 years and 175 days to pay back 1 billion dollars in debt.
EDIT: Thats in-game time, in real time it would be close to 500 hours or about 20 days and 20 hours.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 20, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ElMaligno posted:

At the slowest possible rate (making half a million a day) it would take 5 years and 175 days to pay back 1 billion dollars in debt.
EDIT: Thats in-game time, in real time it would be close to 500 hours or about 20 days and 20 hours.
If all you make is the minimum payment you never pay off your debt.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

zedprime posted:

If all you make is the minimum payment you never pay off your debt.

half a million in profits (so a million and change a day)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Chev posted:

I wish the game would give you some macquerels at higher grades once in a while, dismantling them in free mode just isn't the same.

Did you know that you can select ship grades with 'q' and 'r' during ship selection? I went back to mackerels a few times to get a specific cert category faster.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ciaphas posted:

Motion to rechristen the shipbreaking space yard as The Yeetery, any in favor

I'll get on board with this. Goddamn am I having fun with this, and I'm still slicing apart the basic ships. I don't remember how I first saw this game months ago, but I am really glad I did, because it is incredibly my poo poo.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Figuring out that I can section my ships by cutting their internals then doing tethers to the jax and master jack objects has made the whole experience much nicer overall. Also the Gecko cargo ship is a lot of fun to take apart. The transport not so much though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just watched someone in a video process the aft section of a Mackerel without pulling the impulse drive fist and I think I'm having a stroke.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

half a million in profits (so a million and change a day)

Ah but you've forgotten that the standard Lnyx contact has any payments above current interest applied to future interest payments.

What, you didn't read the fine print? I'm sorry but caveat emptor!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey is there any way to tell how many ship keys you've got?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Would be real interested if not for the zero-g environment, Outer Wilds taught me that my brain can't handle being outside a gravity well.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Chev posted:

I was gonna point that out too, but after thinking for a bit about how this whole thing's been set up I suspect if you don't pay off your debt after five years you're probably just incinerated and your memories copied to a fresh one G body.

Yeah I mean the cloning is papering over a mechanics issue to make hazards have teeth. Otherwise in "real life" they could just spin up a new clone over and over and just say "you're in debt good luck."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well the cloning process is not without risks. :v:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

seems like you can only clone someone for so long before...something happens

might as well make use of the massive and willing labor pool on earth to replenish your stock

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Tobermory posted:

I just discovered that, with careless aim, it's possible to cause a reactor meltdown after the reactor is already on the barge.

I just did that but they paid me for the reactor anyway. It doesn't seem to matter whether you remove the plating around the grade 2 reactors so I just tether it down there, after removing the pipes.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
As soon as mods are possible in this game i'm making "Hardbass: Shipwrecker" where it plays lovely techno and you get more money the more irreperable damage you do to valuable parts.

Skippy McPants posted:

Hey is there any way to tell how many ship keys you've got?
Inventory in the escape menu... speaking of which, it's rather annoying that you have to be in a shift to buy repair kits for your tools, and out of one to apply them. I suppose i should just buy 10 every now and then.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 20, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Orabilis posted:

I just did that but they paid me for the reactor anyway. It doesn't seem to matter whether you remove the plating around the grade 2 reactors so I just tether it down there, after removing the pipes.

Sometimes it won't register as salvaged if you leave the plating on, but you can usually give it an extra push and it'll go. Just have to keep an eye out for the notification so you don't accidentally leave 3m credits floating in space.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Youse folks may be interested in the config.ini file in the game's main folder, you can skip the intro videos and enable a framerate counter. Also, if you shut down the game it seems to forget whatever you had in your shipyard on next boot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Here's my foolproof strategy for always finding the utility key:

1) Look for it everywhere and fail to find it.
2) Flush the fuel pipes, causing a massive explosion and destroying half the ship.
3) Trip over the key immediately.

Sometimes I'll get a fuel explosion that doesn't cause the fuel objective to fail, but barging the surviving tanks leaves me with 1 or 5 fuel left to collect. Where's it hiding?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 20, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I just go straight for the flush I've only had it go catastrophic once it saves a lot of time and I'm a gambler.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hub Cat posted:

I just go straight for the flush I've only had it go catastrophic once and I'm a gambler.

Literally every time :tif:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Hwurmp posted:

Here's my foolproof strategy for always finding the utility key:

1) Look for it everywhere and fail to find it.
2) Flush the fuel pipes, causing a massive explosion and destroying half the ship.
3) Trip over the key immediately.

Sometimes I'll get a fuel explosion that doesn't cause the fuel objective to fail, but barging the surviving tanks leaves me with 1 or 5 fuel left to collect. Where's it hiding?

Key shows up as purple in object mode, so if you sit in the middle of the ship and pivot around it is usually pretty easy to see if it exists. Also a slight bug, half the time it just lets me use the console anyways as my character pulls out the key from his magic pockets so it's still worth trying the console even if you can't find keys.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you didn’t know, you can use the tether to skip the long salvaging wind up when you grab a barge item with the grapple. I’ve found it especially useful for the big cargo containers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

threelemmings posted:

Key shows up as purple in object mode, so if you sit in the middle of the ship and pivot around it is usually pretty easy to see if it exists. Also a slight bug, half the time it just lets me use the console anyways as my character pulls out the key from his magic pockets so it's still worth trying the console even if you can't find keys.

Keys carry over between ships, so you probably have a bunch left over from the early Mackerels.

I feel like the Grcko should have a larger fuel tank like it has the power generator and ECU. Instead it’s just got a bunch of tanks half hazardously stapled to the hull.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 20, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

threelemmings posted:

Other objects can block the scan if you're not in the right spot. Good luck if the key's wedged under a chair or something!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's usually floating somewhere in the open. The trick is to look for it while you're still outside before you've popped open any remain compressed cabins which sends small objects flying all over the place.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Because you can hoard them I now treat ship keys as ethers. Im going to need them eventually but obviously not now.

The fuel tanks stapled to the hull panels are a mouse trap waiting for you to play thruster purge roulette. If you take care of those the gouts of flame from a failed purge are a minor inconvenience, I say after bumping a thruster into the plume and cause a chain reaction ending with a reactor meltdown.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I do appreciate that the catastrophic explosions are only a tiny setback in the grand scheme of things, so you can focus on enjoying the sickass damage engine to its fullest

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

zedprime posted:

Because you can hoard them I now treat ship keys as ethers. Im going to need them eventually but obviously not now.

The fuel tanks stapled to the hull panels are a mouse trap waiting for you to play thruster purge roulette. If you take care of those the gouts of flame from a failed purge are a minor inconvenience, I say after bumping a thruster into the plume and cause a chain reaction ending with a reactor meltdown.

I had one plume go straight into the reactor with the expected results. Nothin' I could have done. But that was ok because

Hwurmp posted:

I do appreciate that the catastrophic explosions are only a tiny setback in the grand scheme of things, so you can focus on enjoying the sickass damage engine to its fullest

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

:agreed:

Explosions are really just a different kind of success.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you don't like the time limit, maybe you shouldn't have agreed to the terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qndibkxbch8

it's early access, maybe it'll get better, huh?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cnidaria posted:

seems like you can only clone someone for so long before...something happens

might as well make use of the massive and willing labor pool on earth to replenish your stock

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Huh, how would speed running work in this game? Highest single day salvage total on a Gecko?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I keep rediscovering that right clicking while something is grappled will pull it towards you.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

What exactly happens as your equipment gets more damaged?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They just stop working for that shift. No blowing up, the way the cutter does when you overheat it.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
0% equipment still works, but at lower effectiveness. e.g. your grappel's strength goes down.

Equipment damage seems a bit of a superfluous mechanic right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Just started this and it's a lot of fun. I probably don't want to put too much time into it in EA and burn out and never play it at launch like many games, but it's real good., is there any downside to replacing a ship in the salvage area with a new one for more goodies to pull off or does it give you a bonus for full salvaging a ship?