Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Phlegmish posted:

Has anyone played Kenshi? What's it like?

loving wonderful? I enjoyed it a lot. Put over 200 hours into it.

You play it like an RPG initially, and then as you recruit followers and set up bases, it feels more like a strategy game. Your starting character is not as important as you might think. You, the player, are more like the overall faction rather than your starting guy.

Here's the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

between Deep Rock Galactic and now Hardspace Shipbreakers I seem to have a thing for scifi occupation sims lately

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phlegmish posted:

Has anyone played Kenshi? What's it like?

Extremely good; it has a demo!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, it's on my wish list. It's weird, I'd never heard about Kenshi until I happened to see a video about it on YouTube. Seems like a game that should have been on my radar.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Iirc, the demo is like, "Full game for __ hours" so you could just give that a go and see how you like it! There's also a thread.

...no I haven't played Kenshi I have too many games shhhh

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Kenshi is interesting. End game feels a little, idk, sparse? It feels as if there’s a setup to something larger, but things just feel kinda pointless after building a base? It’s entirely possible I went in with the wrong expectations or missed something major since I last really played right before it left early access.

The combat system is really cool though. The best way to become a terror of the wasteland is by getting your butt kicked in fights while hopefully not losing any limbs in the process, though you can steal limbs so you aren’t a one armed bandit or peg leg pirate for too long. It is really cool playing unarmed and having your skill so high that you literally kick somebody’s leg clean off. That never gets old.

Alternatively, beep beep beep! Beep.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The 7th Guest posted:

The Crimson Diamond however was exactly what I was expecting: a new Laura Bow game. The demo does not get very heavy into puzzling (in fact I'd say there's only really one puzzle in the whole thing) but the use of text parser allows you to ask people about all sorts of subjects that a more Lucasartsy game would be less flexible about. I have to say though, this demo clearly wasn't ready in time for the festival, because it has temporary art in a lot of the early cutscenes, and the temporary art is hilariously crude. Once you actually get to the lodge, the proper finished art reveals itself. But it was very jarring!
What darling graphics. Makes me feel like I'm a kid booting up an Apple IIe again.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zesty posted:

I noticed Sims 4 is now on Steam. Don't want to spend a hundred bucks getting all the DLC. But let's check anyway and maybe they'll surprise me.

Sims 4 Launch price. 50% off from 40. So $20. Okay fair.

DLC:

Haha gently caress off, EA.

The only really essential DLC is Seasons, because it adds content to pretty much every aspect of the game, tweaks a ton of stuff, and changes up what happens from day to day. The game is pretty dull without it. The rest of the DLC is much more focused; you can completely ignore it and still have a good time with just Seasons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

Is there a place where I can look up the mechanics of the game? Mostly I'm just wondering what karma does.

I don't think The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has a wiki or anything but the dev and a handful of players are extremely active on the steam forums and you can get an answer for just about anything there. I can't give you the exact numbers on how Karma affects stuff, but basically at the end of the day it acts as a small score multiplier and it makes you more likely to find rare items but also increases the level range of the encounters you get to choose from. So basically choosing the highest level bosses early on will give you more karma, which improves the chance of even higher level fights showing up further on, which will in turn give you even more karma, etc etc.

The dev will probably give you the exact numbers if you ask for them, but basically it's just a risk-reward mechanic where taking harder fights leads to better rewards but progressively even harder fights later in the run.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SilverMike posted:

You still play them through Origin, just like Ubisoft's library which requires uPlay.

Technically yes, but also kind of no. I'm not sure about ALL the EA games but the ones I've tried so far make you do some initial Origin login stuff the first time you launch them through Steam, and every time after that they just run an invisible lite version of Origin in the background that you'd only notice if you're checking task manager. It's about as unintrusive as it gets after your first launch, but I've only played Burnout and Battlefront II so far and I don't want to promise you that all their games work like that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Fair enough but if jank king Soulsborne series can get away with it without breaking poo poo for the most part that seems like a pretty tepid excuse.

e: obviously it's not a "quicksave" per say but it saves whenever you exit and for the most part you can just jump right back in with little issue.

That's a fun example because these games DO actually have a bunch of weirdness surrounding the save/load system with regards to, like, current enemy positions, or how you can save and exit in the middle of a lethal fall and then reload the game and survive the drop (very popular speedrun tool!) -- it's all stuff that you can spend many hours in the games and never notice, since you're most likely saving and quitting and then resuming a day later or whatever and you won't care if enemies are all standing somewhere slightly off, but if the current save system was used with simple F2/F4 quicksaves/quickloads it would be extremely obviously broken

Edit: Lol sorry for the triple post, oops

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Did the last part of Kentucky Route Zero end up being good? I think I'm gonna restart from the beginning to play it all the way through

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did the last part of Kentucky Route Zero end up being good? I think I'm gonna restart from the beginning to play it all the way through

yes, though it's the briefest of the five acts

replaying it from the start is a good idea, especially because the full release also folds in the intermissions

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Double Punctuation posted:

The only really essential DLC is Seasons, because it adds content to pretty much every aspect of the game, tweaks a ton of stuff, and changes up what happens from day to day. The game is pretty dull without it. The rest of the DLC is much more focused; you can completely ignore it and still have a good time with just Seasons.

That's good advice if I needed sims in my life again. I'm thinking of just letting it go.

and uhh, requiring Origin THROUGH Steam? Jesus. gently caress that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Det_no posted:

Going to take a minute to gush about the Dwerve demo.

Hot drat. What a masterful combination of genres. Imagine an action-adventure game like the classic 2D Zeldas but instead of playing Link you play as a dwarf who walks slow as gently caress and is almost defenseless. And, since he is so slow, his main method of fighting is laying down combinations of traps and turrets that essentially make each encounter a tiny, 30 seconds long tower-defense match that has you frantically rebuilding new traps as they are destroyed and trying to stay alive.

It's genius. I dunno if these guys came up with this concept of how to translate tower-defense into an action game but man, it's so clever it hurts.

Tried Dwerve out, it's great for what's there, or at least a very solid foundation for an incredibly good game. definitely buying it at launch but I also like Tower Defense and the Link to the Past/Zelda aesthetic. It's sort of like, Sang Froid meets Zelda is how I would describe it.

The demo is sadly a little shorter than I would have liked though and ends just a tad too soon imo, but peeps should check it out. It's only about 30 minutes long at most (don't bother killing plants/hay/pots for coins, you can't spend it right now lol)

gunna try out The Riftbreaker demo now. It's by the X-Morph Defense guys and it looks cool https://store.steampowered.com/app/780310/The_Riftbreaker/

e: Played Riftbreaker, it's super fun and promising. It has a very meaty and satisfying physics engine and blowing up foliage and bugs/rocks is very nice, that's no surprise because they really did a stellar job on X-Morph Defense as well. It almost feels like they've got some AAA physics/model toolkits and stuff going on in that department. I have a few technical complaints but it's obvious a demo (performance, hit feedback). It's also sort of a base-building with walls/towers/factories/mining/energy, sort of like a game blending up Factorio/Total Annihilation+Tower Defense+Alien Swarm/Hero Survival modes from WC3 mods with being able to pump out a ton of weapons and upgrades on your char to move around and slice bugs while playing a Factorio-esque game with setting up outposts and auto-miners to fuel your rampage of walls, towers, and ammo production and upgrading buildings. Very excited to play the full game when it's done.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 20, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Double Punctuation posted:

Hmm. Good to know. I was looking at that DLC list yesterday and felt overwhelmed. It is a -6- year old game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Glad you liked it. It really is quite nice.

Speaking of demos I finally got tired of playing them so I'll dump this roundup I wrote:

Must play:
Barn Finders - Weirdly good. A satirical game about dumb rednecks ransacking abandoned buildings for stuff to resell in their shop. Oddly satisfying, humorous, runs great and looks ok too. Surprisingly well made for a game that's so stupid.
Rhythm Doctor - Playful rhythm game that's full of surprises and some good music. Saying a lot would be spoiling the experience but it was a treat.
Dwerve - INGENIOUS action-adventure tower defense game based on a dwarf who moves so loving slow, he has to attack through combinations of static defenses. There's a limit to how many traps you can have at one time and they can all be destroyed by enemies so the game requires split-second decisions about how to place down new and hopefully functional trap combos that will keep you alive. Outstanding concept.
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos - Fantasy turn-based tactics made by french people. Lots of humor, solid combat and somewhat unique in that you control a party of 7 preset adventurers all with different purposes and skills. It can be a little slow at times but looks very promising.

Good:
Fae Tactics - Mechanically DENSE FFT style game. Pixel art is very nice but character design not so much. Feels slow to play due to very small movement ranges but it's otherwise interesting and worth a look.
Eastern Exorcist - 2D souls-like with fast combat focused on timing. Stylistically reminds me of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Mechanically rich, heavily punishes button mashing. Very difficult and the crappy translation can make some things confusing too. Gorgeous art style.
Orx - Carcassone horde defense with a very cool, "edgy" graphic style. Literally Carcassone.
The Bonfire II - Fun god/management game about helping a small group of survivors settle in the wild. Pretty basic right now and has some design problems but it has promise. Nice art style.
Batbarian - Good metroidvania with the gimmick of a very dark cave and your only source of light being a bat that you control by throwing fruit using the joystick. Lots of puzzles and secrets but also very precise and low ceiling jumps that can be annoying. Pretty good.
Secret Government - Interesting grand strategy game about building a secret society and influencing countries. Feels amateurish in lots of ways, mostly the UI, but it's worth a look. Runs a bit poo poo in proud indie strategy tradition.
Exo One - Huh? What? It's a traversal focused game in which you control a ball that can change its mass and shape at will, uses it to gain speed as it goes downhill then jump and fly across large distances to reach... something? The intro has a weird, almost horror-like atmosphere but the game is a very calm experience. It's weird but interesting.
The Iron Oath - Tough tactical RPG with fancy sprite graphics and some interesting options both in combat and exploration mode. Gives me FTL/Darkest Dungeon vibes except the combat is better and in a grid rather than a line.
Solace State - It's a visual novel with a cute visual gimmick. Imagine being presented with slices of a city diorama and its inhabitants while the narrative goes on. An interesting concept that adds a fair amount of visual flair. Writing might not be everyone's cup though.
Something Ate My Alien - A mining metroidvania with puzzles, like in those old flash games where you controlled a drilling machine. Seems good enough despite an AWFUL interface.
Skellboy - 8-bit inspired 2.5D action-adventure game where you play as a skeleton and swap your body parts with random junk to change your stats. Pretty simple but fun enough and has a banging soundtrack.
The Riftbreaker - Factorio but instead of engineering, you pilot a combat mech. It's alright. Performance is not very good and character models are complete garbage but it looks promising.
Hundred Days - Winemaking simulator with a classy art style. In essence a worker management game in which you try to fit as many actions as possible, in the shape of tetronominos, into a grid. Trying to find the necessary steps to create a good wine is interesting and the game is quite pleasant.
Black Book - Very interesting RPG about a girl becoming a witch to try and bring back her lover who killed himself. Almost like a russian Persona. There's talk about witchers, demons, the game has a lot of interesting lore. Some small issues with pathfinding and UI elements but nothing too bad. Looks promising.

Decent:
Vigil: The Longest Night - 2D souls-like. Very typical for the genre, reminds me of Salt and Sanctuary. Very difficult and feels stiff. The main character's 3D model looks out of place with the more hand-drawn, 2D looks of everything else.
Dinosaur Fossil Hunter - Charming and interesting concept but needs a LOT of work. The tools you use to work are fiddly at best, the control scheme in general is poor and performance is terrible.
The Last Spell - Rogue-like turn-based horde defense. Plays a little bit like a puzzle as you figure out ways to clump up zombie hordes so that your heroes' AOE attacks can wipe out as many as possible. Interesting concept but not too fun to play just yet.
Grounded - Hilariously oversaturated with information, needs better pacing. Characters are making constant quips. The concept is great though and being surrounded by huge bugs that might or might not be hostile is exciting.
Ray's the Dead - Pretty but undercooked game reminiscent of Stubbs the Zombie. Play as a zombie in control of a zombie horde and try to get to the end of the demo without it crashing. Not bad but needs work.
Earth From Another Sun - Bizarre Destiny 2 clone with insanely overpowered weapon upgrades. Still extremely early in development but the sheer lunacy of some guns might make it fun.
Undungeon - A very pretty action RPG of some sort. Very nice sprite art but the controls feel oddly stiff and the dialogue is very convoluted by nature of what kind of character you play as. Not bad but not sure I dig it either. Impressive spritework.
The Survivalists - Interesting gimmick about having monkey helpers and teaching them how to do stuff. It could be cool if that works well. Otherwise, the game has problems with the control scheme and especially with visibility being very poor given how there's a bunch of trees and rocks that block the view of both your character and the ground. Needs work.
Children of Silenttown - A classic point and click adventure about a spooky town complete with puzzles that don't make much logical sense in the context of its own world. Very endearing art style. Lots of stock sounds and music. The game shows promise but the demo is so short it's not really worth playing.

Meh:
Watch Me Stream My Mental Breakdown - Visual novel mixed with a simplistic card game. Not very fun. The premise is the most exciting thing about it on paper but in practice, it's not very engaging.
Against the Moon - Insipid card/lane battler not unlike Duelyst. Lots of voice work but it's all bad and poorly mixed. Meh.
Nordic Warriors - RTS that feels like it stepped out of a time machine, the supposed spiritual successor to Myth. Based heavily on unit formations and yet units don't try to go back to their place after they've attacked. The first mission was a slow plod through a destroyed village, devoid of any dialogue or scripting. My hero, at the center of a protective circle, got one-shotted down from full health by a couple of magic-shooting ghosts near the end of the mission. Mission Failed! Not terrible but not in a hurry to play more either. Bad voice acting, 10 gigs despite looking like a Nintendo64 game.
Ten Thousand Coins - A trading focused RPG that adds a whole lot of tedious padding atop a rudimentary barter system. Tries way too hard and comes off half baked.
Defentures - Lane defense game. It feels like a mobile game port and doesn't have anything to offer other than some decent graphics.
Ruin Raiders - Some sort of rogue-lite dungeon crawler with X-com style turn-based battles, including RNG shenanigans. The control scheme is complete garbage and the demo feels like a very early alpha. All your squadmates are animals so if you ever wanted to play X-com but with your rookie making pained dog whining noises when he gets shot then this is the game for you.
Zoria: Age of Shattering - Really budget tactical RPG. Something like Divinity Original Sin but with 10 bucks for a budget and a CD of MIDI trumpet music. It's decent but it's trying to compete with games that are a million times better.
For The People - Broken english, difficult to tell what will happen out of any given dialogue option. You are presented letters that tell you about the plight of local citizens and asked to choose whether to act upon them or not. Immediately after your choice, you get a blurb of text describing what happened and that's about it. There's probably more but it didn't grab my eye.

Awful:
Iron Harvest - Underwhelming. Bad pathfinding, slow, units feel unresponsive in general. Visually bland outside of the robot designs. Disappointing.
Earthbreakers - Petroglyph has never made a good game and if they did it was by accident.
Heroes Must Diee - Looks like it was made in an evening. Not bothering.
Fallnation - Seems to be something like mount and blade except with modern warfare and zombies. Super early, hilariously so, might be worth a look in the very distant future.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 20, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is Valnir Rok Survival RPG?

Anyone?

Orv
May 4, 2011

As far as I can tell, having received a key for it from somewhere I don't recall, it's a pretty standard pump and dump survival game. Low rate of patches/changes, dumb design choices, minimal player base, bad dev communication.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Just looking at the steam reviews lets me see a bunch of red flags. I would not recommend even considering it until it's "finished" and with its pacing, it doesn't look too great.

E: And it's an mmo-type game with a very low population, so....

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel that including the genre in the name of your game is usually not a good sign.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kibayasu posted:

I feel that including the genre in the name of your game is usually not a good sign.
It’s fine if you’re game is a Warcraft custom map....

But otherwise yes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There are enough exceptions that people will go ahead and do it to cargo cult them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We hope to release a 1.0 Valnir Rok in 2018.”

Well that's enough for me

They went for almost a year without any updates between 2018-2019 after that updates are sporadic and look pretty insubstantial, it's an mmo and today's peak players was 5.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 20, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

They went for almost a year without any updates between 2018-2019 after that updates are sporadic and look pretty insubstantial, it's an mmo and today's peak players was 5.

its just an mo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Det_no posted:

Eastern Exorcist - 2D souls-like with fast combat focused on timing. Stylistically reminds me of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Mechanically rich, heavily punishes button mashing. Very difficult. Gorgeous art style.

Tried this out due to the recommendation. The combat needs a lot more work as it is a bit confusing and feels wooden. It also isn't optimal for the end boss.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Regarding Barn Finders: I would just like to say, that after being swayed by the demo earlier this week, I had bought it and have put about 11 hours into the game at this point, and am, to my own surprise, filled with regret and annoyance. As someone who has put an unhealthy amount of time into games like Viscera Cleanup Detail and House Flipper, this seemed like something that would be well up my alley, but now that I'm somewhere past the 80% mark of the game's story I feel like I need to warn people away from it. The game is deeply flawed, and in some frustrating ways, many of which are not obvious when you're first start playing.

The good bits of the game are pretty easy to spot, the graphics are decent, the act of going through a location and finding things is elementally fun, there is some satisfaction to putting things in a shop and selling them, nice bar filling and money goes up elements to satisfy the monkey brain, so far so good. Many of the elements of the game-play like auctions, haggling, and cleaning stuff feel interesting and/or satisfying at first, so it's easy to get drawn in early on. However, many of those systems, through incessant repetition and actual evaluation of the costs involved, reveal themselves to be facades, simple wastes of time and attention. Auctions, for example, attempt to put forward the appearance of being dynamic, with all sorts of characters bidding and different options for how you raise and all, but unless there is some deeply opaque mechanism I'm missing, the optimal play for any auction is to wait for the npcs to make their bids and then put in a minimum bid when the timer is low. To make things even more pointless, If you lose the auction on a non-"Bid Wars" level, your progression on the game is halted until you try again, possibly forcing you to go back and grind old levels until you have enough to win the bid next time you go there. The initial lost auction has no game consequence, all the stuff is still there, and next time you go you're right back to bidding against the same people as if the initial auction never happened. To top it all off, often the later lots are financially a complete waste of time, as the value of the goods on the lot are noticably lower than what you end up paying for it in the auction, but you have to do it anyway to unlock the next spot.

If it were just the auctions that felt so hollow and cheap I might have a more charitable view of the game, but it seems like every mechanic in the game is like that. The tool and shop upgrades are overpriced and either near-worthless or merely lock progression until you get them, haggling (and selling in general) is a tedious chore that only gets more so as you get more and more items from later levels. The level design starts off simple, but starts adding obnoxious jumping puzzles and basic adventure game puzzles to try and keep you occupied, but as the levels scale up they mostly just become more tedious instead of more interesting. As an example, in one of the later levels, to get to an obvious collectible you have to wait for an alligator to make a slow patrol around a large swamp so you can jump on his back and ride it to the item, but jumping on anything in this game is finicky, let alone a moving target with a small platform, and naturally missing the jump respawns you on the shore and you will probably have to wait for the gator to go all the way back around again.

As for non-mechanical parts of the game, I think people's opinions are going to vary a bit, but honestly I think even people who are onboard with the style of humor and presentation here are going to find themselves worn down by the incessant repetition. I am somewhat lukewarm on fart jokes and scatological humor in general, but if you want to finish this game, you better really like it. Every time you crouch you have a decent chance of farting, and boy does that wear out it's welcome when you're blindly combing the map for that one last item you missed, in addition to all the other mediocre poo poo jokes the game is crammed with. The non-scatalogical humor isn't much better, and again is usually further ruined by repetition. "Mikko- It should work" wasn't all that funny the first time I heard it, but it was substantially worse the 100th time I heard it barked out by one of the upgrade machines. In general the flavor text ranges from banal to baffling with many of the sell-able items having names that have nothing to do with the item it's attached to and seem like they were made by a random word generator. The writing is especially bad for the characters, who have some of the worst, most incomprehensible eye dialect I have ever seen, and completely misses the mark in terms of slang or vocal tics for the stereotypical characters it's trying to portray. I think it would be pretty offensively broad (and racist in some cases) if it wasn't so incoherent. The Banjo-Kazooie style mumbles for the characters are even worse, with the one for the asian woman especially veering hard into racist territory. And again, you're going to be hearing all of them a lot.

In my opinion it's a sludgy, tedious mess of a game that wears it's polished skin and dopey charm just long enough to make it hurt when you realize that it's not getting funnier, more interesting, or less tedious the more time you waste on it. I don't doubt that there are some people out there (and in here) that could get their fun out of it, but if, like me, you find the mechanics of the game initially appealing, but would only be tolerating the overall style of the game, I'd say your time and money is better spent elsewhere.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Zesty posted:

I noticed Sims 4 is now on Steam. Don't want to spend a hundred bucks getting all the DLC. But let's check anyway and maybe they'll surprise me.

Sims 4 Launch price. 50% off from 40. So $20. Okay fair.

DLC:

Haha gently caress off, EA.

You better jump on that Holiday Celebration Pack before they notice.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tried this out due to the recommendation. The combat needs a lot more work as it is a bit confusing and feels wooden. It also isn't optimal for the end boss.

The crappy translation certainly doesn't help either. I should have mentioned that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Im_Special posted:

You better jump on that Holiday Celebration Pack before they notice.

Nah, that one’s always been free. There’s another one you get for subscribing to their newsletter (which you should immediately unsubscribe from). It’s just a handful of items; not really worth the trouble.

That said, these aren’t great sale prices. I suspect they’re priced to give you the same discount you get from purchasing three at once on Origin. You should probably wait for a holiday sale to buy them; the expensive ones regularly go down to $20 for every one except the latest.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Det_no posted:

Glad you liked it. It really is quite nice.

Speaking of demos I finally got tired of playing them so I'll dump this roundup I wrote:

Must play:
Barn Finders - Weirdly good. A satirical game about dumb rednecks ransacking abandoned buildings for stuff to resell in their shop. Oddly satisfying, humorous, runs great and looks ok too. Surprisingly well made for a game that's so stupid.
Rhythm Doctor - Playful rhythm game that's full of surprises and some good music. Saying a lot would be spoiling the experience but it was a treat.
Dwerve - INGENIOUS action-adventure tower defense game based on a dwarf who moves so loving slow, he has to attack through combinations of static defenses. There's a limit to how many traps you can have at one time and they can all be destroyed by enemies so the game requires split-second decisions about how to place down new and hopefully functional trap combos that will keep you alive. Outstanding concept.
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos - Fantasy turn-based tactics made by french people. Lots of humor, solid combat and somewhat unique in that you control a party of 7 preset adventurers all with different purposes and skills. It can be a little slow at times but looks very promising.

Good:
Fae Tactics - Mechanically DENSE FFT style game. Pixel art is very nice but character design not so much. Feels slow to play due to very small movement ranges but it's otherwise interesting and worth a look.
Eastern Exorcist - 2D souls-like with fast combat focused on timing. Stylistically reminds me of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Mechanically rich, heavily punishes button mashing. Very difficult and the crappy translation can make some things confusing too. Gorgeous art style.
Orx - Carcassone horde defense with a very cool, "edgy" graphic style. Literally Carcassone.
The Bonfire II - Fun god/management game about helping a small group of survivors settle in the wild. Pretty basic right now and has some design problems but it has promise. Nice art style.
Batbarian - Good metroidvania with the gimmick of a very dark cave and your only source of light being a bat that you control by throwing fruit using the joystick. Lots of puzzles and secrets but also very precise and low ceiling jumps that can be annoying. Pretty good.
Secret Government - Interesting grand strategy game about building a secret society and influencing countries. Feels amateurish in lots of ways, mostly the UI, but it's worth a look. Runs a bit poo poo in proud indie strategy tradition.
Exo One - Huh? What? It's a traversal focused game in which you control a ball that can change its mass and shape at will, uses it to gain speed as it goes downhill then jump and fly across large distances to reach... something? The intro has a weird, almost horror-like atmosphere but the game is a very calm experience. It's weird but interesting.
The Iron Oath - Tough tactical RPG with fancy sprite graphics and some interesting options both in combat and exploration mode. Gives me FTL/Darkest Dungeon vibes except the combat is better and in a grid rather than a line.
Solace State - It's a visual novel with a cute visual gimmick. Imagine being presented with slices of a city diorama and its inhabitants while the narrative goes on. An interesting concept that adds a fair amount of visual flair. Writing might not be everyone's cup though.
Something Ate My Alien - A mining metroidvania with puzzles, like in those old flash games where you controlled a drilling machine. Seems good enough despite an AWFUL interface.
Skellboy - 8-bit inspired 2.5D action-adventure game where you play as a skeleton and swap your body parts with random junk to change your stats. Pretty simple but fun enough and has a banging soundtrack.
The Riftbreaker - Factorio but instead of engineering, you pilot a combat mech. It's alright. Performance is not very good and character models are complete garbage but it looks promising.
Hundred Days - Winemaking simulator with a classy art style. In essence a worker management game in which you try to fit as many actions as possible, in the shape of tetronominos, into a grid. Trying to find the necessary steps to create a good wine is interesting and the game is quite pleasant.
Black Book - Very interesting RPG about a girl becoming a witch to try and bring back her lover who killed himself. Almost like a russian Persona. There's talk about witchers, demons, the game has a lot of interesting lore. Some small issues with pathfinding and UI elements but nothing too bad. Looks promising.

Decent:
Vigil: The Longest Night - 2D souls-like. Very typical for the genre, reminds me of Salt and Sanctuary. Very difficult and feels stiff. The main character's 3D model looks out of place with the more hand-drawn, 2D looks of everything else.
Dinosaur Fossil Hunter - Charming and interesting concept but needs a LOT of work. The tools you use to work are fiddly at best, the control scheme in general is poor and performance is terrible.
The Last Spell - Rogue-like turn-based horde defense. Plays a little bit like a puzzle as you figure out ways to clump up zombie hordes so that your heroes' AOE attacks can wipe out as many as possible. Interesting concept but not too fun to play just yet.
Grounded - Hilariously oversaturated with information, needs better pacing. Characters are making constant quips. The concept is great though and being surrounded by huge bugs that might or might not be hostile is exciting.
Ray's the Dead - Pretty but undercooked game reminiscent of Stubbs the Zombie. Play as a zombie in control of a zombie horde and try to get to the end of the demo without it crashing. Not bad but needs work.
Earth From Another Sun - Bizarre Destiny 2 clone with insanely overpowered weapon upgrades. Still extremely early in development but the sheer lunacy of some guns might make it fun.
Undungeon - A very pretty action RPG of some sort. Very nice sprite art but the controls feel oddly stiff and the dialogue is very convoluted by nature of what kind of character you play as. Not bad but not sure I dig it either. Impressive spritework.
The Survivalists - Interesting gimmick about having monkey helpers and teaching them how to do stuff. It could be cool if that works well. Otherwise, the game has problems with the control scheme and especially with visibility being very poor given how there's a bunch of trees and rocks that block the view of both your character and the ground. Needs work.
Children of Silenttown - A classic point and click adventure about a spooky town complete with puzzles that don't make much logical sense in the context of its own world. Very endearing art style. Lots of stock sounds and music. The game shows promise but the demo is so short it's not really worth playing.

Meh:
Watch Me Stream My Mental Breakdown - Visual novel mixed with a simplistic card game. Not very fun. The premise is the most exciting thing about it on paper but in practice, it's not very engaging.
Against the Moon - Insipid card/lane battler not unlike Duelyst. Lots of voice work but it's all bad and poorly mixed. Meh.
Nordic Warriors - RTS that feels like it stepped out of a time machine, the supposed spiritual successor to Myth. Based heavily on unit formations and yet units don't try to go back to their place after they've attacked. The first mission was a slow plod through a destroyed village, devoid of any dialogue or scripting. My hero, at the center of a protective circle, got one-shotted down from full health by a couple of magic-shooting ghosts near the end of the mission. Mission Failed! Not terrible but not in a hurry to play more either. Bad voice acting, 10 gigs despite looking like a Nintendo64 game.
Ten Thousand Coins - A trading focused RPG that adds a whole lot of tedious padding atop a rudimentary barter system. Tries way too hard and comes off half baked.
Defentures - Lane defense game. It feels like a mobile game port and doesn't have anything to offer other than some decent graphics.
Ruin Raiders - Some sort of rogue-lite dungeon crawler with X-com style turn-based battles, including RNG shenanigans. The control scheme is complete garbage and the demo feels like a very early alpha. All your squadmates are animals so if you ever wanted to play X-com but with your rookie making pained dog whining noises when he gets shot then this is the game for you.
Zoria: Age of Shattering - Really budget tactical RPG. Something like Divinity Original Sin but with 10 bucks for a budget and a CD of MIDI trumpet music. It's decent but it's trying to compete with games that are a million times better.
For The People - Broken english, difficult to tell what will happen out of any given dialogue option. You are presented letters that tell you about the plight of local citizens and asked to choose whether to act upon them or not. Immediately after your choice, you get a blurb of text describing what happened and that's about it. There's probably more but it didn't grab my eye.

Awful:
Iron Harvest - Underwhelming. Bad pathfinding, slow, units feel unresponsive in general. Visually bland outside of the robot designs. Disappointing.
Earthbreakers - Petroglyph has never made a good game and if they did it was by accident.
Heroes Must Diee - Looks like it was made in an evening. Not bothering.
Fallnation - Seems to be something like mount and blade except with modern warfare and zombies. Super early, hilariously so, might be worth a look in the very distant future.

Just saving this for later

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just checked out the Regiments demo: It's got massive Wargame (the RTS series) vibes, but with a faster, more streamlined feel, along with a good measure of World in Conflict and a pinch of Company of Heroes thrown in (notably the retreat mechanic). I particularly enjoyed how infantry works, in that they all come with transports and are always considered one unit rather than separate infantry/transport units. This made loading/unloading infantry completely effortless rather than trying to deal with fiddly transport micro that seemingly exists in every single RTS ever.

Planned to be single player only though, if that's a deal-breaker for you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Perpetual posted:

Regarding Barn Finders:

Thanks for this - you've saved me a purchase. The idea of the game is great but that humour sounds precisely calibrated to drive me insane.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ehhh

It's playable but still has a ton of problems and it still censors the Nazi iconography and Japanese flags. The best way to play Commandos is probably the GOG version with the Destination Paris mod, which ports over the levels from Commandos 1 and its expansion as well as Commandos 3 (modifying them to be less poo poo).

Unfortunately the mod is geared towards veterans of the games so even the Commandos 2 levels are a little harder than the vanilla game due to a few balance tweaks, enemy position changes and item changes.

Thanks. The flags I don't care about tbh, but if it still has other issues I'll skip it.

However, looking for the original on GOG and not finding it made me realize that Commandos 2 had swastikas and the only reason I have it on Steam is because Steam sells the german version. GOG doesn't. I wonder if the technical issues I have are related to that, wouldn't be the first game where the german version didn't get all the updates the international versions got (still mad about Sleeping Dogs).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What's the consensus on theHunter: Call of the Wild? It's 75% off right now ($4.79), and it has a free weekend, but it's also nearly 50 GB, and I don't really want to download anything big right now just to try it.

I remember the big thing with it here on the forums was that it very pretty looking, and that there were a lot of opportunities to take nice looking screenshots. Don't know anything else about it outside of that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Max Wilco posted:

What's the consensus on theHunter: Call of the Wild? It's 75% off right now ($4.79), and it has a free weekend, but it's also nearly 50 GB, and I don't really want to download anything big right now just to try it.

I remember the big thing with it here on the forums was that it very pretty looking, and that there were a lot of opportunities to take nice looking screenshots. Don't know anything else about it outside of that.

It's a fun, beautiful, kind of realistic hiking simulator. Sometimes you see animals and shoot them, and engaging with the hunting mechanics is lots of fun BUT also very slow, be patient and enjoy the scenery and creeping around.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, exactly what Strix said. It's absolutely stunning and it gives a good feeling of being in beautiful places in nature. It's even better in motion than it looks in screenshots. The tracking and hunting is also fun but they don't gate any areas behind a particular amount of animal-shooting so if you're not good at that, or don't like it, you can still go everywhere.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Technically yes, but also kind of no. I'm not sure about ALL the EA games but the ones I've tried so far make you do some initial Origin login stuff the first time you launch them through Steam, and every time after that they just run an invisible lite version of Origin in the background that you'd only notice if you're checking task manager. It's about as unintrusive as it gets after your first launch, but I've only played Burnout and Battlefront II so far and I don't want to promise you that all their games work like that.

There's some advantages to them doing it this way too, since you log into your EA account your progression in multiplayer games carries over from Origin, and DLC purchased from Origin applies to the Steam version so you only have to re-buy the base game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I liked the Barn Finders demo but I agree that it is susceptible to repetition. I only really care about exploring and grabbing neat stuff, not so much the auctions. I think it could be a chill podcast game though.

I also played Batbarian.. it's just ok. The jump acceleration's too fast and I keep hitting my head on ceilings trying to make a jump. having a bad feel to the platforming is a problem for a Metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone here had success transferring a Streets of Rage 4 savefile to Steam (or any other game)? I'd like to play where there's more co-op activity but I'd also like to keep all my unlocks and pathetic B rank records on Mania. But I'm not sure what the local save on Gamepass is actually called or where it can be found.