Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

zmcnulty posted:

FujiQ is far better in terms of American style roller coasters. But they don't bother with crowd management, so if you go on the wrong day you could very well be looking at 4 hour+ wait times...

The rides are great, but getting on them is a huge nightmare. Everything seems set up to waste as much time as possible. Even on quiet days you'd be amazed at how much time you'll lose for no good reason.

One example are the lockers. To get on some, maybe all four, of their big rollercoasters you need to put watches, necklaces, bracelets, etc. in a locker.
This locker is not located outside of the attraction, or in some shared area, but on the platform right next to where you disembark, on the other side of the carts from where you board.
So the ride arrives, everyone disembarks, they go to the lockers, collect their things and only when everyone has exited the platform can the next group of people go to the lockers.
But since the lockers are on the side where you exit the carts you have to climb over the seats of the cart to get to the lockers and dump your stuff.
After that they will scan you with a metal detector and only then can you take a seat. This check is done by the people who also check if you're strapped in, so you have to wait for them to finish scanning everyone and put their metal detectors away.

All of this takes up way more time than the ride itself and I found it a very frustrating experience.
Rides are great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is the hospital a pain in the rear end to get on? i've always wanted to go there

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

FujiQ is far better in terms of American style roller coasters. But they don't bother with crowd management, so if you go on the wrong day you could very well be looking at 4 hour+ wait times. This happened to our group once. Major attractions were 6-8 hours, and even the generic county fair-style crap was 3 hour wait times. That's exactly why they made it free to enter a couple years ago -- now you can get tickets for just the specific attractions you're interested in. They also sell fastpass style tickets if you don't want to wait several hours, but they're like 1300-2000 yen a pop and have to be reserved days in advance IIRC.

If you go to DisneySea on even the most crowded day of the year, there's still an entry limit. Between that and free fastpasses/lotteries there's still plenty to do.

So going early on a cool weather weekday might be recommended for FujiQ?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I went in March, never waited more than 15 minutes in line. The locker thing isn't for most rides, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am up in the air about AirBnB’ing it next May but god dang it’s really hard to spring for a hotel when $100/night gets me a fantastic apartment vs a cramped dingy hotel room run by a racist in just about any prefecture I search. Not hot on dorms either.

I haven’t ever stayed in Japan for more than $70/night so I’m even being generous assuming I can’t find the same kind of accommodations and have to go up to $100/night. I’m only iffy on AirBnB because I’m not sure what the post rona situation will be.

E: Canadian dollaz

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 15, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I am up in the air about AirBnB’ing it next May but god dang it’s really hard to spring for a hotel when $100/night gets me a fantastic apartment vs a cramped dingy hotel room run by a racist in just about any prefecture I search. Not hot on dorms either.

I haven’t ever stayed in Japan for more than $70/night so I’m even being generous assuming I can’t find the same kind of accommodations and have to go up to $100/night. I’m only iffy on AirBnB because I’m not sure what the post rona situation will be.

E: Canadian dollaz

Absent a clearly stated refund policy, at this point I wouldn’t put down any money for travel or events that you aren’t okay just throwing away.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Midjack posted:

Absent a clearly stated refund policy, at this point I wouldn’t put down any money for travel or events that you aren’t okay just throwing away.

Absolutely, as I mentioned I’m not booking anything that isn’t fully refundable. That said, I’m less worried about hotels disappearing vs AirBnB folding or something. Even if I book fully refundable stays with them it won’t help much if they suddenly go under. Vs Tripadvisor or Expedia where I literally just book the stay and pay when I get there if I choose.

But I have most of a year to decide and book accordingly, if at all, so I’m pretty happy to put this off another six to eight months and re-evaluate. I booked the ticket just so I would have a target to work toward.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've done airbnb a few times and have never been really satisfied. There is always an issue with the bed. One place the bed had a single pillow that was really small and a blanket that barely covered the full sized mattress. Another had uncomfortable (cheap) mattresses. Another had pillow issues.

I'm sure there are places that are fine. OTOH, I've liked almost every hotel I have stayed in. There was only one I didn't like.

Quick recommendations: Tokyo: Tokyu Stay Shinjuku. Good location. Nice hotel. Around $100 US a night, though.
Osaka: Hearton Hotel Shinsaibashi. Smack dab in the middle of everything. Around $50 a night. I still don't get why it is so cheap. It's totally fine for a hotel and the rooms are actually bigger than most. Probably because it is older. I'd be more than happy to stay there again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll never say no to some stay recommendations, thanks!

I’ve only ever had one bad AirBnB experience where the place was seriously just run down and you could tell they brought someone in to dress it up for the photos. Everything else has been top notch, especially for the price I paid, but my sample size is under eight and I could have just been lucky.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 15, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are some actual hotels that list on AirBnB too. I got a really nice one right in downtown Okayama for like $50 a night, cheaper than the real AirBnBs in the area.

E: Actually now that I'm thinking through it everywhere I booked on AirBnB in Japan was just a hotel, probably because of the regulations. The Okayama one was a real deal hotel hotel, the others were private rooms in small hotels that seemed ?legal? but were fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I tend to skim over the ones that are really obviously hotel listings, mainly because I’ve yet to find one that didn’t put me off in some way. There’s one around northern Shinjuku that has rooms which look like they’re covered in bright pink and orange wallpaper and it ALWAYS pollutes my feed when I’m looking for a cheap stay in that area :mad:

I’ll look around more though. This last trip which was to have happened a month ago I was booked into a really nice little hotel in Nara for a few nights and I think that was the only non-AirBnB stay I had planned ever so I’m kind of bummed that it didn’t work out — for many many reasons, obviously :haw:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've started just staying in hostels and it's been great. Cheap and sociable when I want it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're going to Nara I'll recommend Hilo Hostel. Has nice private rooms, good location, cheap, owner is friendly and speaks good English. If you've been skipping hostels give them another look, most of them in Japan have private rooms that are cheaper than hotels. If you're an only in the hotel to sleep and shower person like me they're great.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't book for 2021 yet. Japanese hotels usually open their calendars 3 months in advance. Right now hotels are closed/minimally staffed and do not have the capacity to consider anything but immediate survival.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sure, I understand, I'm just speaking from experience accomodation hunting :)

I don't do any actual booking until ~3-4 months out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At this point I doubt it happens, but I'd really like to go to Japan this Fall.

I mean, I doubt Japan lets anyone from the US in for the foreseeable future.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've still got enough travel points that I could make a December trip of it if I really tried (and it was allowed).

I mean there's virtually no chance it happens, but I'm keeping that in my back pocket. I'd love to see Hokkaido in the winter or chill at an outdoor hot spring during a snowy night.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

At this point I doubt it happens, but I'd really like to go to Japan this Fall.

I mean, I doubt Japan lets anyone from the US in for the foreseeable future.

Buddy, they’re not even letting Americans with residency back in without jumping through hurdles and skipping through hoops, so tourists? I don’t think any tourists are coming until at least next year.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

I went in March, never waited more than 15 minutes in line. The locker thing isn't for most rides, though.

hmm.... i wonder if there was any reason why it might've been less crowded in march....

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing there are a lot of people in Kyoto who are saying, "let's just keep things closed. We are totally fine with no tourists."

Seeing vids of Kyoto right now. Droooool. I can't even imagine how wonderful it must be to not have massive crowds constantly pissing everyone off, throwing garbage everywhere, ignoring signage, taking pics of people without asking.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
hmmm... maybe i should go to kyoto after work

i was thinking of going this weekend but it was super rainy

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing there are a lot of people in Kyoto who are saying, "let's just keep things closed. We are totally fine with no tourists."

Probably anyone in Kyoto who doesn't work in the tourism sector. Tourism is like 15% of Kyoto's GDP, so I'm guessing a handful of politicians are sucking air through their teeth as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Once the lockdown started for overseas tourists, they tried real hard to pitch local travel to Kyoto instead.

And then the domestic lockdown-ish state of emergency happened.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I see a lot of deserted Gion photos on reddit lately and I can't even comprehend that they're the same place that I visited just over a year ago.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
empty kyoto looks very pleasant

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I've still got enough travel points that I could make a December trip of it if I really tried (and it was allowed).

I mean there's virtually no chance it happens, but I'm keeping that in my back pocket. I'd love to see Hokkaido in the winter or chill at an outdoor hot spring during a snowy night.

All the sculptures at the Sapporo snow festival seem cool, though I guess that's in February.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Magna Kaser posted:

hmm.... i wonder if there was any reason why it might've been less crowded in march....

March 2015.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo gets the coolest mayoral candidates.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
What the actual gently caress

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i always think the happy science ones are wonderfully sinister, not even because of the text but just the brainwashed looking faces

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I can't read much besides "NO Masks NO Social Distancing", "The media is lying about coronavirus" and I'm gonna guess the big bold words on the left are "Corona virus is a false flag event" or something? What are the big black kanji on the bottom left?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The text on the left is, "Corona is just a regular cold"

Black kanji is 風邪

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Who could imagine trump like fascism below the veneer of politeness and anime?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What are the 3rd and 4th points on the right side, after No masks and No Social Distancing?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
3蜜: The 3 keys to avoiding infection. Avoid enclosed places, avoid crowded places, avoid close contact.

自粛: Self-restraint, basically staying home as much as possible.

Tokyo has already given up on all of this, so congratulations to this guy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vote for me and I promise you no more self restraint!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

sale on Banksy art posted:

Tokyo has already given up on all of this, so congratulations to this guy.

it felt like tokyo didn't even keep it up as long as the dumber parts of the us, which is impressive in its own way

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

it felt like tokyo didn't even keep it up as long as the dumber parts of the us, which is impressive in its own way

What do you want kept up? Tokyo is down to anywhere between 10-50 new cases a day, and most of those are coming from host clubs in Kabukicho. Once the Olympics stuff was cleared I think Japan has had a pretty effective response, due largely to the diligence of the majority of the population.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stringent posted:

What do you want kept up? Tokyo is down to anywhere between 10-50 new cases a day, and most of those are coming from host clubs in Kabukicho. Once the Olympics stuff was cleared I think Japan has had a pretty effective response, due largely to the diligence of the majority of the population.

It's all luck. Russia is literally next to China and had no or low cases for months. Japan could see a major uptick any time, including the Fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

:thunk: