Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you don't like the time limit, maybe you shouldn't have agreed to the terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qndibkxbch8

it's early access, maybe it'll get better, huh?

Just give me free play without the shift timer but let me keep the oxygen/damage mechanics and i'll be happy.

I'm down to a single shift for stripping out basically an entire mackerel. I cheat a little by chucking entire sections of hull into the processor rather than seperating the furnace stuff but honestly, they want a better job, they need to give me longer than 15 minutes, i'm not coming back to a ship to make a few cuts and end up more in debt than when i started :v: At least i get all the work orders done/barge items out as well. Make a couple million a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beef posted:

Did you know that you can select ship grades with 'q' and 'r' during ship selection? I went back to mackerels a few times to get a specific cert category faster.
I did not! Thank you!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

Just started this and it's a lot of fun. I probably don't want to put too much time into it in EA and burn out and never play it at launch like many games, but it's real good., is there any downside to replacing a ship in the salvage area with a new one for more goodies to pull off or does it give you a bonus for full salvaging a ship?

You won't get any credit for material you give up. That's the only penalty.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Inzombiac posted:

Why the hell did I think this was VR only??
This does VR?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's taken me 18 hours but I've finally tossed myself into the furnace.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Combat Pretzel posted:

This does VR?

No, sadly :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy poo poo, this game is finicky annoying. Can you just go gently caress around after the tutorial?

--edit: Or maybe I'm just dumb and tossing everything in the wrong hopper.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 20, 2020

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
When I saw the original gameplay reveal I thought it was a VR game, and it'd probably work well with Lone Echo style controls. I think it was the visual style, lo-fi fonts and hud that fooled me, but i dig it as it is.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Given the constant inertial movements and sharp turns it kinda seems like the worst case for VR motion sickness.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Free play VR would actually own, but yeah i'd probably end up getting motion sickness hard from it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Talk to me about dealing with thruster fuel lines without utility keys. I haven't tried on a Gecko yet, but on a Mackerel I've found that ejecting the thruster manually usually causes a rupture, and that rupture has even-ish odds to cook off the reactor that's still in there. How do y'all prevent that or handle it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

When I saw the original gameplay reveal I thought it was a VR game, and it'd probably work well with Lone Echo style controls. I think it was the visual style, lo-fi fonts and hud that fooled me, but i dig it as it is.

Yeah, I so wish they will make support for VR. With Lone Echo controls. Just imagine using your hands to float around inside a technical space, putting your hand in a pipe to hear the sound, cutting rooms with more freedom as you can rotate your hand in addition of selecting horizontal/vertical, using the grapple realistically, pulling and pushing pieces around with your arms...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Talk to me about dealing with thruster fuel lines without utility keys. I haven't tried on a Gecko yet, but on a Mackerel I've found that ejecting the thruster manually usually causes a rupture, and that rupture has even-ish odds to cook off the reactor that's still in there. How do y'all prevent that or handle it?

There should be flush valves on both fuel tanks. Unlike Gecko flush valves, these ones seem to be safe.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy poo poo, this game is finicky annoying. Can you just go gently caress around after the tutorial?

--edit: Or maybe I'm just dumb and tossing everything in the wrong hopper.

There's a Freeplay option on the main menu that gives you unlimited resources and time, so you can gently caress around in there to learn all internalize all the systems without setbacks.

As for throwing things in the wrong hopper, a lot of ship components contain a mix to processor and furnace material. It's almost never worth it to split them up so don't fret about the AI kibitzing at you. When it doubt, toss stuff in the processor, as stuff that goes in there tends to be higher value.

Hwurmp posted:

There should be flush valves on both fuel tanks. Unlike Gecko flush valves, these ones seem to be safe.

For the Gecko, I'd had decent luck with peeling away the aft hull, which puts a good amount of distance between the fuel tanks and any burning fuel. I almost never bother trying to salvage the big three aft sections. They take 3-5 tether and ten million years to reach the processor.

Got my single shift Gecko salvage up to 7mil+ per day, but I know it can go higher.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 20, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of Geckos, I tried my first one last night. Went pretty well, I think, besides crashing on shift five; I was pretty stoned so I don't remember the details terribly well though. I do remember having a couple questions

- I was able to get the power generator off without harm - lucky me seeing a fuse first - but found no way to stop the flow of coolant from the ECU to the reactor. I decided to cut the pipe at the ECU, and while I got the ECU out I got frozen to 30 health for my effort. Was I supposed to remove the reactor first to turn off the ECU or what, and if so how on earth do i safely cut off the coolant? I didn't see anything else on the coolant line besides the reactor and ECU
- Just before the game crashed I'd cut the reactor free and was starting to remove plating. There was no coolant input or fuel output, and no foundations left connecting the reactor to the rest of the ship, but it never started melting down. Why not?
- Between power cells, power junction boxes, power generators, and batteries, I can't tell which of them - if any - actually turn off devices in the ship like the atmosphere recyclers. Any observations?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

- I was able to get the power generator off without harm - lucky me seeing a fuse first - but found no way to stop the flow of coolant from the ECU to the reactor. I decided to cut the pipe at the ECU, and while I got the ECU out I got frozen to 30 health for my effort. Was I supposed to remove the reactor first to turn off the ECU or what, and if so how on earth do i safely cut off the coolant? I didn't see anything else on the coolant line besides the reactor and ECU

There's a panel on the front of the ECU. Grapple that off and you'll see three little coolant canisters inside. Grapple those loose and pick them up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

The fuel tanks didn't seem to be connected to the reactor or thruster, so I didn't even open the wall before I tried removing the thruster (to explosive result). I'll see if I can repeat it in freeplay

Hwurmp posted:

There's a panel on the front of the ECU. Grapple that off and you'll see three little coolant canisters inside. Grapple those loose and pick them up.

Auugh I forgot about those, I was running short on time in the shift and didn't try again after the crash :doh: Thanks for the reminder!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's this huge dreadnaught thingy in the backdrop during the tutorial/initial career. Looks like it's made of the same assets as the scrap ships. I suppose that one can be scrapped eventually?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

- Just before the game crashed I'd cut the reactor free and was starting to remove plating. There was no coolant input or fuel output, and no foundations left connecting the reactor to the rest of the ship, but it never started melting down. Why not?
- Between power cells, power junction boxes, power generators, and batteries, I can't tell which of them - if any - actually turn off devices in the ship like the atmosphere recyclers. Any observations?

-the ECU has a removable front panel, inside are three salvageable coolant thingies. Pop'um loose and nab'um, no more coolant!
-That big cylinder is actually the reactor housing, the reactor itself is inside. It's got panels you can pull off to expose the reactor and you can generally move the whole unit without triggering a meltdown. Just tether the entire housing to the barge once it's out of its frame. That said, make sure you pop off a few sides as if goes down, sometimes it won't register the reactor and you've gotta reach down with the Grapple to haul it out.
-The big triangular power generator is what keeps all the electronics running. Once it's off, everything goes dark.

Tip: don't spend more than two shifts on a Gecko once you learn the systems and layout. One day for the big-ticket items. One day for clean-up and work orders. After that, move on to the next wreck. Otherwise, you'll be finishing day 3 and maybe even 4 with meager 1.5-2m paydays.

Also, Industrial >>> Transport. Way less internal chaff to slow you down and gum up the works.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 20, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ciaphas posted:

For the lvl 2 reactor, what you see inside the glass compartment isn't actually the reactor, it's a metal shell encasing the reactor. Not sure if it's a bug or as intended at the moment but if you throw that hole cylindrical casing into the barge 9/10 times it senses the reactor inside and counts as successful salvage. The other 10 percent it only captures the end caps and you just have to pry off one of the panels to access the reactor and wiggle it around and the barge will grab it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Skippy McPants posted:

Tip: don't spend more than two shifts on a Gecko once you learn the systems and layout. One day for the big-ticket items. One day for clean-up and work orders. After that, move on to the next wreck. Otherwise, you'll be finishing day 3 and maybe even 4 with meager 1.5-2m paydays.
Counterpoint by the time you get Geckos number go up loses most meaning so if you want to space janitor the cheap inner hull stuff very carefully for barely a profit you should go for it. You're usually stuck on a weird certification category instead of money just because reactors are money printers anyway so you might be using day 2 and 3 to sightsee electrical and mechanical junk anyway.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I have to make the debt go down!!!

But yeah, if you prefer a chill clear that cleans up that whole ship that's cool too. Game is super laid back and it's great.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Cutting the skeleton remains of a ship in two or three big parts and tossing those in the furnace is very satisfying

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, Industrial >>> Transport. Way less internal chaff to slow you down and gum up the works.

Transports are worth a whole extra million on paper but I always, always gently caress something up and lose out on mechanical orders or those big stern plates.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's just too much interior to manage and choke on. Industrial has more cuts points on the superstructure, but once that outer skin is off all the juicy bits are right there for the picking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

God getting the stern nanocarbon up to the front of the yeetery to reach processing is a nightmare

At least the floating jacks help me peel things out of plane of the furnace vacuums, but still I should not be wasting time on it in the future

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Shutters in front of the furnaces and processors that you could close and open as needed would be godsent

Maybe later in EA there'll be an option to buy a space forklift that you can use to move specific heavy pieces around more precisely. If you wreck it, you have to fork out for a new one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alternatively, swap the processor and furnace positions on one side, so there is a furnace and processor at the front and back.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gonna say again, I think the last upgrade for the Splitsaw is a trap. Not being able to saw cut-points without destroying any nanocarbon behind them is bullshit.

Maybe later they'll add a ship juicy enough that it's worth ruining whole sections of nanocarbon, but not right now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It'd be nice if there was an upgrade that let the stinger melt cut points faster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Gonna say again, I think the last upgrade for the Splitsaw is a trap. Not being able to saw cut-points without destroying any nanocarbon behind them is bullshit.

Maybe later they'll add a ship juicy enough that it's worth ruining whole sections of nanocarbon, but not right now.

I'm not really a fan of the imprecise nature of splitsawing when I don't have to, anyway - if there's a joint I can toast with the stinger I'd rather do that.

Maybe that's why I hate airlocks :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder how big the ships you dismantle will get. I think it's easy to imagine they will implement a still bigger class of ships, after the geckos, but... how where will be the limit? How big will be the last tier of ships? The drydock itself isn't big enough to put in there monster ships, like a full cruiser or something crazy like that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not really a fan of the imprecise nature of splitsawing when I don't have to, anyway - if there's a joint I can toast with the stinger I'd rather do that.

Maybe that's why I hate airlocks :argh:

The secret to cut-points with the Splitsaw is that if you align it right you can cut four or five in a single shot. There's literally a place where you can float amidships in the Industrial Gecko and knock out 90% of it's cut-points without moving.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder how big the ships you dismantle will get. I think it's easy to imagine they will implement a still bigger class of ships, after the geckos, but... how where will be the limit? How big will be the last tier of ships? The drydock itself isn't big enough to put in there monster ships, like a full cruiser or something crazy like that.

Maybe you can pay lynx for some drydock upgrades

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm thinking they may implement some kind of drydock upgrade or you get moved to larger docks at certain certification levels. Maybe that's how you could extend the shift timer as well - move to a new large drydock where the shifts are 30 min (but of course all the fees you pay are higher as well). The large dry docks could have more processing zones at more convenient angles.

I also think a neat tool they could add would be some kind of attachable programmable thruster. You plonk it on to a piece of hull and then you trace the path you want it to take in space (so unlike tethers, you wouldn't need a straight line to the processor/furnace/barge). You could use the tethers then to link multiple items together and put a thruster pack onto one of them and send the whole chain where you want.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

To the people who have bought the final upgrade for the cutter and think it’s a trap because it can cut nanocarbon, and end slicing up huge sections of your up by accident, your doing things wrong. If you point your cutter at the same spot for a few second it highlight that spot in orange, when it’s high lighted in orange that means the cutter will cut that thing and only that thing. Your welcome.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thing is, that takes precious seconds, and still prevents you from sawing multiple cut-points at once which is the biggest upside of doing it that way.

Honestly, it's so good that it makes the stringer almost obsolete which is a shame.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

give me detpacks

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Alternatively, swap the processor and furnace positions on one side, so there is a furnace and processor at the front and back.

Yeah, I very much want this.

A minor thing that could be cool is Euro/American Truck Sim style internet radio. The folksy Firefly music is good but it might be neat to scrap to some other tunes.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skippy McPants posted:

It really depends on your current certification requirements. If you need, say, lots of electronics then you're likely better served by a transport gecko.