Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

You work with good people, you'll like your job.

Yeah, but they work with lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Vox Nihili posted:

and i can finally move up from Discendo Vox

now i know how trump felt when he went from jeb to hillary

more of a moving from Zelníčková to Zervos, really

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Real Talk:

Mom's been a nurse for 35 years, i've had paralegals for 10.

1. Obvs. no blood and piss in the legal department, and no hauling 3 dove patients out of wheelchairs.
2. Not usually a hard clock-in/clock-out at the law firm; some places its very common you need to stay late several times a week.
3. Probably more stress as a paralegal, unless you were like an ER nurse or something, but its not that bad. This is a world of conflict, however, so dealing with conflict even by osmosis or proximity is part of the job.
4. The actual work is 100% administrative. The higher up you go, the more autonomy and decision-making you will do, but even then is 90% follow the flow chart.
5. The work is usually interesting! As long as you're not working at a car-wreck mill of a firm, you will take on dozens of unique, interesting cases every year.
5.5. That said, the stuff you do on every case is generally the same thing. Prep and mail the same letters, sort and index documents, prepare the same shells for documents, receive and catalogue things that get filed, calendar dates and deadlines as they come in. Sort of like, you're always jogging (doing the same things), but you're constantly jogging past new and interesting places (different cases.)
6. Dealing with clients is as bad as you imagine sometimes, and just like patients you'll have your favorites, and you'll have the ones you'll groan about every time they call.
7. You do the billing and invoices here. Generally, you are the billing department (unless you're in house or gov't). This takes up anywhere from 5-25% of your time.
8. Family and Criminal can be brutal. Not the work, per se, but the things you're going to learn about people. You may already know the world is poo poo, but now you get to meet all the poo poo.

All that said, pretty much all the paralegals I've worked with are generally much happier and mentally stable than the lawyers, lol. And the office environment will have the most to do with whether you like your job or not. You work with good people, you'll like your job.

This is a good post, thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Any attorneys besides Phil in Louisiana? Have a state specific question.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I know some swamp lawyers

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arcturas posted:

This is all true. I'd add that paralegals are chronically underpaid, because lawyers are stingy and because lawyers are bad at getting value out of paralegals. Half the places I've worked at, paralegals have billable hour expectations (usually significantly lower than lawyers because a lot of paralegal work is nonbillable) - say, 1300-1400 hours or so? In theory that's a bunch of revenue for the firm if the paralegal is billed at $150/hr. In practice clients fight against paying paralegals and so the revenue is significantly lower. But lawyers know they need paralegals etc. So paralegal salaries can range from $40k to $80-90k depending on the firm and all sorts of stuff. But that, to me, is well within the nurse pay range. So don't jump ship expecting to make more money.

One thing to note is that a lot of big (and small) firms are actively cutting non-lawyer personnel and support staff and have been trying to run leaner in recent years even before COVID-19. Assistants/secretaries are the first to go but I don't know if the paralegal market is particularly robust either at this point. It's insane since they're the ones that actually do much of the work, but most firms see non-attorneys as a cost center.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nonexistence posted:

I know some swamp lawyers

You don't have PMs. How can I reach you?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, yeah, but I’m in-house now so I get to generally ignore the law and state specific questions.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Once upon a time I was and then I got out and haven't looked at Louisiana law in years so probably hit up ulmont. I think Kawasaki was or was a law student but he got banned

I do have a ton of friends who are LA lawyers if nothing else pans out

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vox Nihili posted:

One thing to note is that a lot of big (and small) firms are actively cutting non-lawyer personnel and support staff and have been trying to run leaner in recent years even before COVID-19. Assistants/secretaries are the first to go but I don't know if the paralegal market is particularly robust either at this point. It's insane since they're the ones that actually do much of the work, but most firms see non-attorneys as a cost center.

There are tons of paralegal job listings (where I am, at least). Both in-house or at firms. But that doesn't necessarily make it a good career move because the salary and benefits range is wide. Most of those jobs are sub-60k, and maybe sub-40k if it's a small firm.

They mostly are overhead because as someone said earlier, firms will bill them out but won't collect on them. They'll cave on the paralegal part of the bill so their attorney hours get paid in full.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Eminent Domain posted:

Once upon a time I was and then I got out and haven't looked at Louisiana law in years so probably hit up ulmont. I think Kawasaki was or was a law student but he got banned

I'm from Louisiana but don't know much in particular about Louisiana law.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Looks like SCOTUS saved DACA.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/19pdf/18-587_5ifl.pdf

Between this and LGBTQ rights being preserved, Roberts is just teeing it up for Trump to skate on the tax return subpoenas, right?

Indiana stealth liberal crew represent.

Also,

Eminent Domain posted:

"don't post in D&D"

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

loopsheloop posted:

Are there any paralegals here? Do you enjoy your job? I've been a nurse for the last 10 years and want to transition to a new career path. I would think that experience would be helpful somewhere.

If you are interested in legal work, google "medicaid fraud control unit state" and see if they have opening for nurse investigators. The MFCUs are all these weird hybrid law enforcement health care fraud offices who will likely always at least look at a nurse's application seriously.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Gov. Polis just signed a bill eliminating qualified immunity for cops. I haven't read the actual legislation yet but my interest is pretty piqued

quote:

The bill allows a person who has a right, privilege, or immunity secured by the Colorado constitution that is infringed upon to bring a civil action for the violation. The attorney general can also bring an action under the same circumstances. A plaintiff who prevails in the lawsuit is entitled to reasonable attorney fees, and a defendant in an individual suit is entitled to reasonable attorney fees for defending any frivolous claims. Qualified immunity and a defendant's good faith but erroneous belief in the lawfulness of his or her conduct are not defenses to the civil action. The civil action has a two-year statute of limitations. The bill requires a public entity to indemnify its public employees in a claim unless the employee is convicted of a crime related to the claim.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 19, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Gov. Polis just signed a bill eliminating qualified immunity for cops. I haven't read the actual legislation yet but my interest is pretty piqued

Here's the bill
The more important bit is exempting claims against police from the state's sovereign immunity.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 19, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

joat mon posted:

Here's the bill
The more important bit is exempting claims against police from the state's sovereign immunity.

Looks like if police fail to intervene when an individual is being unjustly deprived of their rights by another officer it's a misdemeanor.

From my very limited understanding of this arena it seems pretty great, gonna devote some more time to breaking it down when I finish studying for the bar. Thanks for the link!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
lol, they just re-worded qualified immunity, and changed the word "reasonable" to "objective."

Oh, and they made it so that the City doesn't have to pay the bill for the officer's civil defense or judgment if the officer gets convicted of a crime.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a state civil rights tort claim in Colorado that's akin to a 1983 action?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1274083119692423168

Can't find a link to the report itself, but that thread has some scans. It's pretty lolworthy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 19, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Poor captain crozier, he's all thumbs.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1274083119692423168

Can't find a link to the report itself, but that thread has some scans. It's pretty lolworthy.

Notahippie posted:

He didn't act quickly enough or effectively enough. Also he acted too quickly and with unnecessary escalation. Which wasn't needed anyway because the problem had already been solved. Except that he clearly failed to solve the problem.

As far as I can tell that's literally the argument.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Your honor, the only thing my client is guilty of is failing to prevent the victim from not acting strongly enough to prevent my client from committing those heinous alleged acts. His hands are clean!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
After 17 years of loving companionship and excellent health, my namesake won’t survive the weekend due to acute kidney failure. Adopted her from the base shelter in Misawa in June of 2003 when she was 1. Since then she’s been with me for 3 apartments, 3 houses, 3 marriages, 1 kid, 2 ex-wives, a close study partner (who she hated), and two degrees.

Hug your furry friends a little tighter. I’m completely devastated. :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Toona the Cat posted:

After 17 years of loving companionship and excellent health, my namesake won’t survive the weekend due to acute kidney failure. Adopted her from the base shelter in Misawa in June of 2003 when she was 1. Since then she’s been with me for 3 apartments, 3 houses, 3 marriages, 1 kid, 2 ex-wives, a close study partner (who she hated), and two degrees.

I’m sorry Toona. Your cat was obviously a better judge of character than you. We wish her many scratches and hours of lounging in the sun, in the new place where those things never run short.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sorry Toona. :(

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Lost mine a few years ago at 17 years old due to similar things.

It’s rough, I wish you the best. 17 was a good, full life for a good cat.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Pouring one out for the best study partner of them all.

Congrats on being your cat's person for so long. You were the best thing that ever happened to them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Sorry Toona. It's hard losing a furry buddy. I'm glad you had a lot of years and memories together.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Toona the Cat posted:

<3

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

gently caress

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Condolences, Toona. In happier news:

Shot:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1274191695006007296

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1274178732476059650

Berman is, I should note, originally a Sessions hire.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I've had my cats 12 years. That's rough. Drinking one for you tonight, Toona.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Toona the Cat posted:

So sorry to hear that.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Kitten knew what was up. I'm sorry to hear it Toona, may they terrorize study buddies across the rainbow bridge.

Kidney poo poo sucks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

Condolences, Toona. In happier news:

Shot:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1274191695006007296

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1274178732476059650

Berman is, I should note, originally a Sessions hire.

He was actually appointed by the judges in that district to fill a vacancy that the president and senate had left open. He cannot be replaced until the senate confirms his successor or he voluntarily steps down.

Also :rip: toona. I dropped a grand on my big cat hector three weeks ago because he had a UTI and couldn’t pee on his own.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Thanks all. Here’s a photo of her in better times. Smart, fiercely independent, and kind of an rear end in a top hat to everyone but me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The best cat.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Condolences Toona. It sounds like she had a good run though. Remember the happy times.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Sorry about your cat bud, Toona. We lost our responsible boss dog a couple of months ago. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sorry to hear Toona. Echoing everyone else here that you two were both lucky to have each other.