Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Man, what are you talking about? Birds are born to fly, they should never be in a cage and just be outside 24/7 duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sekkira posted:

Man, what are you talking about? Birds are born to fly, they should never be in a cage and just be outside 24/7 duh

That is pretty verbatim of what was said. Oh, one of them started saying, “What if you took away a persons ability to walk? What kind of life is that?” I told the poster, “I have limited leg mobility from a disability and find that analogy insensitive,” Then came all the, “Why would you inflict your disability on your pet? You shouldn’t have a parrot!” bullshit. That’s when I just said “nope” and blocked them.

Of course one of them owns a cockatoo who spends way too much time at the vet from hurting himself. Also, after their cage argument came up a friend from a local pet shop asked them, “If birds can’t be in cages, why did you buy one last month?”

People want them both banned, because this apparently happens constantly with them.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Those people sound like some real pure strain fuckheads. Sorry you interacted with them and hope it didn't ruin your day.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ah, the cage argument. Love that. Because a bird is definitely going to hold all the negative connotations humans have about cages.

It sounds like you were dealing with some very cruel people. I'm sorry.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Whenever Serra gets a trim, I publicly thank the parrot shop on the Portland group because they're open during the pandemic.

I posted a funny pictures of Serra with some quirky caption. I normally get 50-100 likes, cares, loves, or whatever. I pretty much cut social media out of my life, but I enjoy knowing people get a kick out of Serra.

Well, today I noticed two angry faces. Both of these people had angry faced my posts before. The last time, I thought they must have clicked the wrong button. I went back and checked though - these two people had disliked my photos in the past and did again.

So, I asked and got these replies -

How loving presumptive and dick headed can people on the other side of a keyboard be? Serra has a "trim/no trim" schedule mandated by the avian vet, especially with the bloody night frights she has when her flight feathers are in.

I'm not going to engage these people further. But I needed somewhere to openly say, "What the hell?!"

(Not to mention how the multiple free flight group posters who have lost birds or literally got them killed by hawks seem to be above reproach. If I think that's irresponsible, I keep it to myself.)

Yeah I got a few messages as well about when I replied to a post about wing trimming. All I said was that my Trevor was trimmed because the vet said that because of MEDICAL ISSUES it was best if they were trimmed to reduce the chance of injury. According to these wankers it was evil, and immoral, and how dare I take his wings away!

I tried TWICE to explain that Trev was a rescue and his wings were damaged, and he was extremely likely to hurt himself if left fully flighted because of his first home. That never even sunk in and I got hate messages from a few people as well as the angry emotes.

I totally agree with you, Captain, about the idiocy out there regarding trims. And yes to the hawks!! I refuse to take my two out without a travel cage because of the fact that we live in the PNW. We HAVE HAWKS and EAGLES. I've been trying to get my two buttnuggets trained to a harness but that has been a resounding HELL NO from both of them. Trev and Cricket would be a sitting duck (haha) if they went out without travel cages, and Trev especially cos he can't lift off the ground well at all (even if he was left flighted) Cricket could make it into a tree...even clipped she is a strong flier, but that doesn't mean survival. Shes lightly clipped for her own safety...she LOVES the tops of doors when she can get there and then divebombs our old sleeping cats when she can. She now tries to climb to the top of the curtains to do her dive bombs. I'm on guard as much as I can be, but I and the vet agreed that the clip was good to add that bit of security there that Miss Bullybeak won't piss off my old kitties and actually get their instinct up and going.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
if birds had access to little cages in the wild that protected them from hawks and such, they'd use them.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

if birds had access to little cages in the wild that protected them from hawks and such, they'd use them.

I have a handful of towhees and sparrows who have figured out that cage= free food, free water and protection and I remove them on a daily basis. I can tell it's the same bird from various marking/scar patterns. They absolutely use them and the wild cowbirds that escape come back.

How do I know this? We trim their wings. They can still fly just fine after a day of adjusting, it's just more effort for them. One of the birds escaped a trap that needed repairs about a week ago and I caught him in the next trap over. Wings already trimmed, just chilling out with his cousins.

He definitely got a taste of the wild and went 'fuuuuuck that'.

Inc post about wild birds, just wanted to reply in case the topic kept moving.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Tis the season of getting all of the babby birds. I've gotten a couple of babs that the adults are too large, too agile or just plain too smart to be captured and it's a treat.

This is a young Northern Mockingbird!

Easily ID'd by their distinct patterns.

They also do some cool acrobatics.

Admittedly this one did not. They kinda bounced around frantically.

I swear they weren't harmed, they just decided to thrash about when they had the chance.

Lookit the little whisker-feathers! :kimchi:

Right now we are getting a shitton of starlings in the traps.

You tried to escape and found my boob. Good job.

Dear lord this one was a drama queen.

Towhees: Still in the trap on a daily basis.

Baby house sparrows are pretty regular too. Still cute as a button.

HERE is a new one, and actually one I've narrowed down to two possible species.

This is a juvenile Oriole!

Could be Hooded Oriole, Could be Bullock's Oriole

When the biologist you report to goes "eeeeh it's difficult to tell at this age" then you just shrug and move on.

A very pretty and patient new friend.

39 baby starlings in the same trap: Insanity. We release the juveniles since they don't do well as captives.

This egg was on the ground in a grassy area and I nearly ran it over. Candling revealed it was a dud, so I gave it to my nearest cowbirds as a treat.

Here's a bird that I mis-identified at first because we don't really get them around here very often.

This is a female Brewer's blackbird, and I got some help in IDing her.

A male (I assume mate) was absolutely frantic on the outside of the trap and refused to leave, even as I got in the trap.

They flew off together upon her release.

We are starting to get juvenile Cowbirds!

They are pretty darn cute, too.

For some reason they have a bit of yellow on them.

It fades in adults but makes them easy to ID.

They make good ice cream cones.

And lastly: Cowbirds bathing. They generally don't like the camera IN the cage but will happily bathe when I am in there, so I've left the cage for these pictures so they will act normal. Easily the best part about the job is changing the gross water on a hot day and immediately having birds go down to cool off.

Please forgive the shmutz on the rims, I swear I scrape them as hard as I can and it doesn't get rid of all of the scaling.

I know they don't understand english but I always talk to them and tell them what good birds they are.

I like to think the fact that most of the birds I care for are pretty used to me and chill is partly a result of this.

I have two sets of traps I care for, one four to six days a week and the other set only two days a week.

The two-days a week traps are generally absolutely filthy, but the calves really love watching the cowbirds bathe, too. You can see some of the birds like watching them right back.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
You might have the best job. Ever. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I will never stop loving how beautiful they are, and how angry they are.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Facebook is a cesspit, cutting it out of my life years ago was an excellent decision. Same with twitter, although I do miss all the birb accounts I followed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

redgubbinz posted:

Facebook is a cesspit, cutting it out of my life years ago was an excellent decision. Same with twitter, although I do miss all the birb accounts I followed.

I purposely cut it out of my life when I was in bad shape three or four years ago. But I didn't delete my account, because then my father gets "Did Log Die?" emails.

I'll still browse it to keep up with my friends, but I only post in the Portland Parrot closed group.

I much prefer my life without the social media, but as a thirty-five year old sober agnostic guy with limited mobility in what still feels like a new city to me, it's a little hard to meet people.

I miss when Facebook was all about being funny. My college was one of the first 32 schools to get Facebook and it was lawless. But, I guess when your grandparents join a social media platform you can kiss that goodbye and start reading about all your friend's mommy blogs and pyramid schemes.

SERRA!!!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

how is she so orb though???

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

She is plotting egg

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

I purposely cut it out of my life when I was in bad shape three or four years ago. But I didn't delete my account, because then my father gets "Did Log Die?" emails.

I'll still browse it to keep up with my friends, but I only post in the Portland Parrot closed group.

I much prefer my life without the social media, but as a thirty-five year old sober agnostic guy with limited mobility in what still feels like a new city to me, it's a little hard to meet people.

I miss when Facebook was all about being funny. My college was one of the first 32 schools to get Facebook and it was lawless. But, I guess when your grandparents join a social media platform you can kiss that goodbye and start reading about all your friend's mommy blogs and pyramid schemes.

social media is poison

BORB

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

mikerock posted:

She is plotting egg

Always she plotting ((egg))

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Chaodfeather, your job and grumpy bird pics are the best :3:

Semi-related cage chat. Over the last few months, Ozzy picked up a habit of "tapping" on his cage when he's covered up. I'm not having much luck discouraging the tapping, even after trying a laundry list of suggestions from our vet. She says it is a hormonal behavior, and I'm reluctant to pursue the hormonal implant option.

I noticed recently that this "tapping" actually includes him chipping the powder coating off the cage bars. I'm covering the chipped areas in the meantime while I sort out getting a new cage.

We had a cage for 10 years with him with no issues, but I replaced it in 2017 because the bottom grate was starting to get rusty. No chipping issues, but he didn't used to do this "tapping" thing until recently. I'm wondering if I should shell out for a stainless steel cage or if this cage just had defective powder coating. I didn't think a GCC would be capable of chipping it off.

Have you other GCC owners had this issue before? Specifically the powder coat chipping?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

how is she so orb though???

mikerock posted:

She is plotting egg

DarkHorse posted:

Always she plotting ((egg))

:hmmyes:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Pictured: a happy borb

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pip pip pip posted:

Chaodfeather, your job and grumpy bird pics are the best :3:

Semi-related cage chat. Over the last few months, Ozzy picked up a habit of "tapping" on his cage when he's covered up. I'm not having much luck discouraging the tapping, even after trying a laundry list of suggestions from our vet. She says it is a hormonal behavior, and I'm reluctant to pursue the hormonal implant option.

I noticed recently that this "tapping" actually includes him chipping the powder coating off the cage bars. I'm covering the chipped areas in the meantime while I sort out getting a new cage.

We had a cage for 10 years with him with no issues, but I replaced it in 2017 because the bottom grate was starting to get rusty. No chipping issues, but he didn't used to do this "tapping" thing until recently. I'm wondering if I should shell out for a stainless steel cage or if this cage just had defective powder coating. I didn't think a GCC would be capable of chipping it off.

Have you other GCC owners had this issue before? Specifically the powder coat chipping?

I have not noticed that on our cages at all... and Trev LOVES to tap things...everything he can. I'll take a closer look later and check to see if I see anything...we have only had our cages about 4 years.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

redgubbinz posted:

Pictured: a happy borb

horb

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

GCCs are utterly relentless in their pursuit of mundane destruction. They're like squeaky discount terminators.

That said, it's probably a defective/garbage powder coat. I like stainless, but they do need thoroughly wiped down much more often, judging by all the rust spots I saw on the used ones coming through the shop.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I was looking through family albums with my mom, and found one single photo with the budgie we had in 1994.

A little blue bird. We never treated him well, and as far as I remember he may not even have made it to two years old.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

nielsm posted:

I was looking through family albums with my mom, and found one single photo with the budgie we had in 1994.

A little blue bird. We never treated him well, and as far as I remember he may not even have made it to two years old.

I always get depressed when I think back of two particular animals we had as kids (a budgie and a turtle). I want to think that I have paid my debt by (1) being a vegetarian for 20+ years and (2) helping every animal in need once I was old enough, but on some days I am not so sure. :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

I always get depressed when I think back of two particular animals we had as kids (a budgie and a turtle). I want to think that I have paid my debt by (1) being a vegetarian for 20+ years and (2) helping every animal in need once I was old enough, but on some days I am not so sure. :negative:

You can't carry that guilt, come on. You were a kid. You know better now, and you do what you can.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I had a realisation just how therapeutic for me my tiels are last night. I'm... Not doing particularly great lately. I have a lot of issues with anxiety at the best of times and I'm having a bit of a depressive episode right now and work (essential and low paying, yay) is going literally kill me at this rate.

But my birds respond intensely to sadness and grief, and they both need to be with me when I'm upset because if I'm upset they're upset. And in calming them down, I have to calm myself down. It's also very difficult to cry when a small bird chirps softly and reassuringly at you from your shoulder. I have people in my life who go "well just don't feel so intensely" because that's a thing that someone can do, but my birds don't do that. They just come to be sad with me until I'm not.

They've become a real major coping mechanism for me.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

nielsm posted:

Looks like a happy fluffy boodge to me, not terrified/skinny with patchy feathers. Sure, knowing what we know now about giving a parrot everything we can to keep them happy and healthy it might seem like neglect in comparison, but you remembered him after all this time and care for him, that says a lot.

And agreed, birds are great for mental health. I don't have any so internet birds will have to do for now. Oh look, time for another dose-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IH7Zvof8GE

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 21, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My first cockatiel was bought for me when I was eight or nine and spent about five years with our family. Back then, the little booklet you could buy at the bookstore was the extent of information you could get in the middle of Tennessee.

He turned out to be a she and started laying eight or nine eggs at a time. She went from friendly and hand tamed to completely insane. I could have handled it now, but we were at a loss back then.

My mother was also famously cheap and wouldn't take "small animals" to the vet.

Neil the Cockatiel got sold for fifty bucks at a yard sale to a kindly old couple. (God, it almost makes me cry to think about.) I remember saying goodbye to her. Why did she get sold? My mother was moving to an apartment with a $50 pet deposit, which was TOO MUCH.

At least the old people were kind and experienced bird keepers. I like to think an elderly Neil is still out there somewhere, just happy as hell. I really hope so.

I'm going to go hug Serra now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If there's anything I appreciate about the internet it's how almost everyone has access to pet information now. Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Don't know why your bird is doing [x]? You can google that. This has pros and cons (see the crazy "all birds must fly" people) but in my personal experience I'm a much better dog owner because I can talk to experienced dog owners online and do right by him.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

I had a realisation just how therapeutic for me my tiels are last night. I'm... Not doing particularly great lately. I have a lot of issues with anxiety at the best of times and I'm having a bit of a depressive episode right now and work (essential and low paying, yay) is going literally kill me at this rate.

But my birds respond intensely to sadness and grief, and they both need to be with me when I'm upset because if I'm upset they're upset. And in calming them down, I have to calm myself down. It's also very difficult to cry when a small bird chirps softly and reassuringly at you from your shoulder. I have people in my life who go "well just don't feel so intensely" because that's a thing that someone can do, but my birds don't do that. They just come to be sad with me until I'm not.

:unsmith: 💕

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

RoboRodent posted:

this is because birds are just unbelievably good

also hit me up if you ever need a chat, about birds or anything

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

redgubbinz posted:

And agreed, birds are great for mental health. I don't have any so internet birds will have to do for now. Oh look, time for another dose-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IH7Zvof8GE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOpkTE0fwWs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

As a guy who has kept three cockatiels and four parakeets, I wonder what it’s like to have a well behaved bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqYH-tOO0M

his new thing is that he's discovered the thinkpad keyboard nipple is removable and the perfect size to chew on (thank god he's not any bigger). we've had to start leaving the keyboard covered when he's out of the cage; otherwise, bam, the second we leave the room....

the other day I walked in and see him chawin' away. he squawked when he saw me, because he knows he's not supposed to be doing it, and i walked over; he peeped and then backed up and pooped on the keyboard and tried to look innocent.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Days since I remembered how loving massive terra's crest is: 0

ignore the giant scratch on my leg from her claws, they're getting real long and the vet is still closed for non emergency/routine appointments

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
You all have the BEST birds. :3:

Serra apparently learned a new trick.

As you all know, mornings are hard for me because my legs are all cramped up. I normally stagger to the kitchen, make my breakfast, then stagger back to bed while my medicine soaks in. I always, every day, let Serra out to have some morning playtime.

Well, this morning is my birthday and I got a phone call from a local number. I have all my doctors and pharmacy numbers saved, so I thought it might be a Birthday wish.

I answered and a guy with a very friendly tone was on the line. He instantly starts asking me weird questions about my Medicare while he won't really say who he works for. "Can we talk about your options for getting FREE YES I SAID FREE eye exams and gym memberships!??!" I flatly say, "You mean like a Medicare C plan? How did you get my number?"

Serra was sitting on my chest and decided it was time for me to see her new trick. She had never done this before.

She walked over to the bottom of my cell phone and stood about a quarter inch from the receiver. Then she started doing a glorious, loud SCREM SCREM! SCREM SCREM! over and over. Loud. Loud as hell. Nonstop.

Good Bird. :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The phone made you unhappy, and she could tell, so the proper reaction is to scream at the phone for making you unhappy, yes?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Happy birthday Log!!! Good bird Serra!!!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

The phone made you unhappy, and she could tell, so the proper reaction is to scream at the phone for making you unhappy, yes?

:hmmyes:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Happy birthday Log!!! Good bird Serra!!!!

Thank you kindly! I've now been in Portland for three years. :stare:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

She is a good bird and hopefully will spare you from ((egg)) on your fine birthday.

:derptiel:

Edit: v Yessssssss v

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Birb likes to fly over and hang out

Edit: Omg. Avatar.