Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I finally bought a Goulet nib for my Jinhao! They really go all-out for shipping. I did not expect the lollipop and stickers. In retrospect this was probably a bad time to get something I didn't expect in the mail and immediately stick it in my mouth, but so it goes.

I emptied the iroshizuku fuyu-gaki that was still in my pen, swapped nibs, and refilled... all while wearing a white dress. I like to live on the edge. :c00lbutt: Anyway it writes like a dream now, totally solved the problems I was having with it before.

Unfortunately while buying nibs I spotted the wooden ink blotter Goulet sells, which I absolutely do not need but which would look nice next to this wax stamp that I also did not need. Why am I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are Nemosine Re-Entry nibs not a thing anymore? I have a stub one but I'd like a regular bold one for my Vac.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It sounds like they're not made anymore. I think the company went under.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
They didn't go under. The company owner decided to shut down and went in to business with his brother, who runs Birmingham pens.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I finally bought a Goulet nib for my Jinhao! They really go all-out for shipping. I did not expect the lollipop and stickers. In retrospect this was probably a bad time to get something I didn't expect in the mail and immediately stick it in my mouth, but so it goes.

I emptied the iroshizuku fuyu-gaki that was still in my pen, swapped nibs, and refilled... all while wearing a white dress. I like to live on the edge. :c00lbutt: Anyway it writes like a dream now, totally solved the problems I was having with it before.

Unfortunately while buying nibs I spotted the wooden ink blotter Goulet sells, which I absolutely do not need but which would look nice next to this wax stamp that I also did not need. Why am I like this.

Sweet! so they are actually shipping orders now? how long did it take to get it after you ordered?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Their site says they're shipping now. Last I saw they were just getting through May orders.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Ordered on May 24th, shipped on June 5th, arrived on June 12th. Definitely could have been worse, delay-wise.

ETA: Any recs for pens to keep in a purse that I throw around all the time? Right now I keep my metro in there but ink ends up splattering inside the cap and then getting on the barrel and then my fingers. I feel like this would be solved just by having a smaller cap that doesn't cover the part of the barrel that I actually hold.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 16, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Muji fountain pen. Nib is kind of mediocre but it fits your other criteria.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What size do those use? Are they replaceable?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm assuming you mean nib size? They're standard #5 Schmidt/Bock nibs and are easily replaced.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've always wanted to try a Muji but I had only ever heard mediocre things about them. I kind of dig the functional minimalism look for a beater pen. I hear a lot about how bad the nibs are so that put me off getting one, if they could be swapped with a better nib, I might bite on it. There's a knockoff version I saw on AliExpress that had a very similar body but used Lamy-styled nibs. No idea the quality level on those, but I liked the look of them better.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know which of their lower end pens have it but anything with the Platinum "slip and seal" cap (or similar) should be good, too, I think.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

I've always wanted to try a Muji but I had only ever heard mediocre things about them. I kind of dig the functional minimalism look for a beater pen. I hear a lot about how bad the nibs are so that put me off getting one, if they could be swapped with a better nib, I might bite on it. There's a knockoff version I saw on AliExpress that had a very similar body but used Lamy-styled nibs. No idea the quality level on those, but I liked the look of them better.

The nibs write well enough, though they tend to have a lot of feedback. Given how consistent they are, it seems to be a conscious choice made by Muji/Ohto instead of "we just can't be arsed to make it better".

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Heath posted:

i have one of these knockoffs, and i really enjoy it for what it is. i also dig minimalist techy-looking fountains

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The muji is a great pen for the price. I don’t have any complaints about the nib, it’s always been a reliable writer with no hard starts, consistent lines.

The semi knurled grip felt weird and uncomfortable to me though. I would put a rubber grip on it but that will ruin the aesthetic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New Delta day today!

A lovely, Delta-made Martemodena Chronicle in "Horn" acetate. Quite pretty.

Edit: Try that again with proper white balance

grack fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 17, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That is elegant.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Apparently this is the week that Canada Post deemed me worthy of getting my loving mail because this arrived after two months.

It's been in Canada since May 9th, and wasn't opened by Customs

What in the gently caress, Canada Post?

Anyways, here's a Filcao Atlantica. Modeled after the 1920s Parker Duofold, right down to the gold-flecked lapis lazuli celluloid.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 18, 2020

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I tend to not be a fan of the classic Parker look, I like modern weird looking poo poo like TWSBIs, but that is a good looking pen.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
:yeah

Surprise T Rex posted:

I tend to not be a fan of the classic Parker look, I like modern weird looking poo poo like TWSBIs, but that is a good looking pen.

:yeah:

Got my Prussian Blue 580 after being inspired by the goon a few pages up. The ridged grip is really nice.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
We all joke about it in this thread but I'm genuinely surprised by how my interest in this hobby has grown in 8 months. When I first started out I bought a Pilot Metro on a whim and figured I'd maybe get one nicer pen if I ended up liking it, then call it good. I insisted on a metal body, finest point possible, with no interest in fancy inks or paper or what have you.

Fast forward to today. I just unboxed my fifth pen, along with 7 sample-sized vials of shimmering ink, to go along with the multiple different colors of standard ink I already had. I'm starting to handwrite letters for my family so I can use it all more often, and I have some Clairefontaine paper on order along with some broad and medium-point replacement nibs for my nicest pen now that I know how to swap them out. I'll probably get a stub nib in the not too distant future, too, so I can try my hand at calligraphy.

You all warned me this would happen, but I didn't listen. :(

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jabarto posted:

You all warned me this would happen, but I didn't listen. :(

Thread title.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That's the way it starts, you know. Maybe you get a Pilot Metro, or a Lamy Safari "just to try it out". You like it a lot, and maybe a month later you see something on Amazon that you really like, and it's only $25 bucks...

...and then BAM. You're looking for Delta #38 on eBay, wondering if it's easier to get by on one kidney or one lung.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh god, don't even. Two months ago I had my old school-days Safari and a Waterman Hemisphere. Now there's a Moonman M2, a 1976 Pilot Myu, a Capless LS, the Grandee Urushi I talked about upthread, and I have an ancient Vacumatic coming, as well as a boatload of Diamine inks that should arrive today. Thank god the box is now full NO I WON'T REMOVE THE PENCIL TO MAKE MORE SPACE I probably will.

The LS is an absolute dream to write with. Pilot rules.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How is the twist mechanism?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

How is the twist mechanism?

It's very smooth. The changed clicker means it's actually almost silent coming out, and you can easily trigger the release with your thumb - but it's positioned in a way that you won't accidentally retract the nib.

You can see the release pointing "down" here:

Terrible video:

https://i.imgur.com/YXt2QqS.mp4

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like that it's just a flick, I thought it would require more force. I have a slightly beat up silver VP and I kind of love the loud ca-clack it makes when I retract it.

I also kinda love the amount of wear on the button that's becoming visible. I don't pointlessly click it that much, I swear!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh you better believe I've not stopped playing with it (or the pen :pervert:)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The worst I had it with pens was a year or two ago when I discovered the Truphae incredible box. They're a pen retailer that also does a surprise box subscription for $150. The box comes with a pen and ink they claim to be worth $200 and a chance at a more expensive box. It basically ticked all the boxes im a sucker for, that is to say gambling and fountain pens. I only did it for 3 or 4 months but during this time I was also buying poo poo like the M800.

The box was really fun and if it's still around I'd probably do it again. It introduced me to some pens I wouldn't have used otherwise like the Pelikan m200 or faber castell e-motion stealth.

Ugh. I miss being able to afford pens

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sankis posted:

The worst I had it with pens was a year or two ago when I discovered the Truphae incredible box.

Nooo why would you mention this.

Fortunately it's easy to ignore because shipping times and customs fees would be horrendous. :ohdear:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Has anyone picked up one of the Platinum Curidas (the retractable model they recently released)? I'm a sucker for platinum nibs.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

Has anyone picked up one of the Platinum Curidas (the retractable model they recently released)? I'm a sucker for platinum nibs.

If you search by my posts in this thread I think I did a brief review.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

don’t touch them right now because there’s a design/QC issue in which feeds crack

as in, a LOT of feeds have cracked

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kessel posted:

don’t touch them right now because there’s a design/QC issue in which feeds crack

as in, a LOT of feeds have cracked

I've thankfully gotten lucky, as it's my every day pen at my job.

Then again I haven't fussed with the feed, but it does get abused a bit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nine of Eight posted:

:yeah

:yeah:

Got my Prussian Blue 580 after being inspired by the goon a few pages up. The ridged grip is really nice.

I love that grip, it’s such a nice touch that I never knew I wanted. Also the end cap has the same ridges on it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If any of you guys are on the hunt for a red stripe Pilot Murex, this just came up on my feed. Looks like it has some minor damage on the underside of the grip, but these come up pretty rarely and the starting bid is very low.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Anecdotal Goulet data point - ordered on the 11th, shipped the 17th, arrived the 19th. Picked up the Jinhao 8802 and a replacement 1.4mm stub for it, and the mint Eco in whatever stub it comes in.

Goulet nib on point as always, but *man* the TWSBI nib was not good. I could actually *feel* the burr on it. Micromesh fixed it, but that was a real disappointment. Are the 580 nibs any better, or did I just get an especially bad Eco nib? I was getting the Eco as a taste-test to see if I wanted to try to poach a Prussian Blue 580 whenever they became available again, and although the rest of the pen feels pretty solid, that was not a good first impression for it to make.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think TWSBI gets their nibs from Jowo, so usually they're pretty solid.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Remora posted:

Anecdotal Goulet data point - ordered on the 11th, shipped the 17th, arrived the 19th. Picked up the Jinhao 8802 and a replacement 1.4mm stub for it, and the mint Eco in whatever stub it comes in.

Goulet nib on point as always, but *man* the TWSBI nib was not good. I could actually *feel* the burr on it. Micromesh fixed it, but that was a real disappointment. Are the 580 nibs any better, or did I just get an especially bad Eco nib? I was getting the Eco as a taste-test to see if I wanted to try to poach a Prussian Blue 580 whenever they became available again, and although the rest of the pen feels pretty solid, that was not a good first impression for it to make.

So I would say with my Prussian Blue the nib (fine, Bad Belted Kingfisher) is smooth enough that it flows well across the page with a bit of a tactile response but it’s not silky butter smooth like a medium Pilot Metro or a gold Vanishing Point nib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

howe_sam posted:

I think TWSBI gets their nibs from Jowo, so usually they're pretty solid.

hope so, I just ordered a bunch of TSWBIs in different sizes, hoping to find a new main drawing pen.