Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

you'd hope skirmish mode would be the skirmisher ai the cpu gets, but it just makes your guys constantly run backwards while never firing unless they are substantially faster than the unit chasing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Onmi posted:

Okay, better Empire players than me please inform me... what the gently caress is the point of Empire Captains?

the captain is your typical lord-lite melee hero

click him on the enemy lord when the lines meet. unless it's a murderbeefcake/legendary dude he should be able to duel favorably.

I have way better luck with heroes like him over the designated made-of-glass assassin ones. The Witch Hunter, for instance, needs a decent amount of microing and why bother

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve never used a witch hunter on my actual army. I only use them for campaign map stuff.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, the only time i would turn it on is if you were using units that can fire 360 degrees. That way they do more damage as even if the other unit is faster, it'll still take longer to get close. It can be useful when you outnumber melee units, so a few basic archers getting chased by depth guard, but two will be firing while one runs. But to be honest, in this example and even in general, you still need to pay attention to get them turned around or pursuing an enemy that's switched targets.

But still, you get a lot of use from just using a couple fast skirmishers to draw off units from their main army, who will be wasted chasing for all day while your army beats their smaller stack. My eshin campaign's armies had like thirteen of the best skirmishers i could afford, all deployed all close to the enemy as possible and with skirmish mode on. Battle starts, they get chased in every drat direction, my small force of skavenslaves would back up the lord to kill any weakened enemies that get through the screen, and when they run out of shooting stars they start charging in and double teaming people.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

juggalo baby coffin posted:

skirmish mode just makes your ranged units run away from melee units

Yeah that seems to be exactly the issue. They start to shoot, then a melee unit looks at them, and they run away; repeat until every unit's isolated its self halfway across the map in different directions if you aren't paying super, super careful attention. I'm going to be turning it off from here on out. I'm also like ten turns away from getting Necrofexes which is going to be a good boost for my army. I think I just need to bite the bullet on army costs and load up on some spearmen.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

Yeah that seems to be exactly the issue. They start to shoot, then a melee unit looks at them, and they run away; repeat until every unit's isolated its self halfway across the map in different directions if you aren't paying super, super careful attention. I'm going to be turning it off from here on out. I'm also like ten turns away from getting Necrofexes which is going to be a good boost for my army. I think I just need to bite the bullet on army costs and load up on some spearmen.

Some units can fire behind themselves while moving. Basically those guys are the one group where skirmish mode isn't awful.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I guess the gimmick with Tomb Kings is dont play Mortal Empireswith them, because their start there is loving hot garbage.

Just beat a vortex campaign with them, I like balancing act of needing to cast a wide net while also being constrained by a lord limit. Once you get the giant scorpions and shotgun bow guys online you are a wrecking ball.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gamerofthegame posted:

the captain is your typical lord-lite melee hero

click him on the enemy lord when the lines meet. unless it's a murderbeefcake/legendary dude he should be able to duel favorably.

I have way better luck with heroes like him over the designated made-of-glass assassin ones. The Witch Hunter, for instance, needs a decent amount of microing and why bother

I also don't use the Witch Hunter. I use Wizards for obvious reasons and Warrior Priests. The exclusion is Wulfhart, I stack him with all his hunters because he's usually the only stack down in Lustria conquering the southwest while the real war happens in the northeast.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Captain's aren't exciting but they're super competent line leaders and later on sky assassins. They're handy with items and trinkets that lay down debuffs since they're in the thick of it. Priests serve the same function as a nice tank to bunch up mooks on for ranged termination but the option of a Pegasus often has me opt for the captain. The priest's active abilities are incredible for your frontline fighters though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve never been quite to sure what to do with characters other than point them at a character I think they’ll win a duel against, point them at a big monster if they have anti-large, or send them at non-elite non-armor-piercing (and if they have a mount, non-anti-large) infantry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve never been quite to sure what to do with characters other than point them at a character I think they’ll win a duel against, point them at a big monster if they have anti-large, or send them at non-elite non-armor-piercing (and if they have a mount, non-anti-large) infantry.

That's pretty much it unless you've got a god of war out there that can trounce elite infantry. Having them in your ranks for the leadership benefits is always great though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Melee heroes are super useful for tanking/loving around to spread the enemy out - any decent one can tie down a few units on their own pretty safely while your ranged units do the killing. If they're mounted or flying they're also great for taking out artillery or casters. Using them to fight enemy heroes/lords is also good of course.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How often do you all use assault units/garrison hero actions? Are they effective enough to be noticeable?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I control like half of lustria with Skrolk and the high elves are still so far ahead of me in the vortex ritual. gently caress then

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best tactic in the game is to have your Lord isolate a unit (or group of units) or a Lord/Hero while you have rifles right next to them shooting the other Lord/hero in the butt. Empire Lords are pretty poo poo, comparatively, but only dwarfs and skaven get super strong hero-slaying rifles to make your Lord win “duels”.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Though I haven't concluded a vortex campaign, apparently all that happens when another faction gets to the end is there is an easy battle to win, where-after that faction is out of the vortex campaign.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

How often do you all use assault units/garrison hero actions? Are they effective enough to be noticeable?

A fully specced and traited hero can take out 15-20ish % of the units in an enemy army with one "Assault units"(the plural one not the single target action called "Assault unit") on a lucky roll, so yeah its pretty potent if you invest into those kind of actions.

Best used on same turn as you make an attack else they AI will replenish a fair chunk of it back (and in a garrison's case most of it back).

Similarly "Damage walls" can add lots of breaches plus bring couple defensive towers down to half ish hp, makes for an easier assault and if you don't have a siege attacker unit in the army its one way to bypass having to spend turns making siege equipment.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I have over 1,000 hours in this game and just now learned the Empire can get Lore of Shadows and Life :cripes:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sarcastastic posted:

Also also, I continue to HATE Luthor Harkon in every campaign that starts in Lustria. He's a huge pain in the early rear end.

That god drat section of map is a nightmare for everyone. Even with underway it takes too long to get anywhere and there's someone to invade your rear end the second you look away. And why the gently caress are the islands temperate forrest

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

Though I haven't concluded a vortex campaign, apparently all that happens when another faction gets to the end is there is an easy battle to win, where-after that faction is out of the vortex campaign.

It’s not hard to kneecap a faction in the race either, if you can spare an army to travel halfway around the world or if you just save up 10k to buy the nasty intervention at the right moment. At least send an agent to keep an eye on your toughest competitor, you can often mess with them when the chaos stacks arrive.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Very rarely, the AI seems to get some large bonuses to replenishment, so unless you're using it right before an attack, or while sieging (when they won't actually sally forth and try to break it), not much point to it.

The single unit assault stuff is completely worthless though, there are much better uses of agents than doing 30-40% of a unit's hp.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

which are the better gutter runners out of shurikens or slingers? I know the shuriken guys can skirmish effectively but they seem lower effective damage. I'm playing as sniktch so idk how the AP damage skews things

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

which are the better gutter runners out of shurikens or slingers? I know the shuriken guys can skirmish effectively but they seem lower effective damage. I'm playing as sniktch so idk how the AP damage skews things

Higher range and ammo count means greater damage potential for slingers as Snikch, IMO.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id say go with the shurikens. burst damage is generally more important than sustain, and 360 shooting is really good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Shuriken gutter runners are generally more useful in my experience except for Clan Eshin - armour piercing missiles make the slingers into a really good unit. They're not quite darkshard level but they will do a ton of damage just sitting behind your front line.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I combine a smaller number of slingers with a larger number of regular to get the best of both worlds generally.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't play skaven because nothing appeals to me about commanding sniveling cowards.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

JBP posted:

I don't play skaven because nothing appeals to me about commanding sniveling cowards.

Yeah being you is being in charge of one 24/7 so that tracks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

JBP posted:

What in tarnation

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It’s not hard to kneecap a faction in the race either, if you can spare an army to travel halfway around the world or if you just save up 10k to buy the nasty intervention at the right moment. At least send an agent to keep an eye on your toughest competitor, you can often mess with them when the chaos stacks arrive.

The army, sure, but the last couple times I've dropped a 10k stack on the dark elves they've swatted it immediately. This wasn't even late-game, this was the first ritual or two.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

JBP posted:

i dunno which faction you're talking about here, couldn't be the rats! :colbert:

and in case you thought it was just grots

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, the ninja rat is scary good in duelling.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I actually fully agree, I adore skaven conceptually but I just cannot play them for a campaign. They suck. All the factions.

Excuse me I'm going to play Lizardmen for the 90th time ty

Maybe DEs for the 50th time instead but definitely not skaven

Burginator fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 21, 2020

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I just watched Imrik 3-shot Karl Franz and it was beautiful :allears:

Almost turn 300 and still not tired of this dumb campaign, might actually go for a world conquest. Dwarfs are dead, The Empire is reeling and I already have almost half the map, currently making GBS threads out gimmick armies like there is no tomorrow, might as well go for it and make it all elf forever.

edit: A stack of 5 spears/5 sisters and the rest white lion chariots? Sure why not! :v:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 21, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

In a game filled with ludicrous seemingly overpowered legendary lords I think Imrik just might take the cake.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In a game filled with ludicrous seemingly overpowered legendary lords I think Imrik just might take the cake.

He absolutely does and it's not close -- I just finished an Imrik campaign and he was just absolutely obscene lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Makes sense since Imrik isn't just talking poo poo when he claims to be the greatest martial warrior in the world.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah, the "3-Shot Franz" battle was Imriks army alone(1 Noble, the starting fire mage, 5 Silvering Guard, 5 normal archers, 3 dragon princes and 3 pokemon dragons) against 3 full-stack late-game Empire armies aka Luminarks, greatswords, demigryphs, all kinds of artillery etc etc.

At the end I lost 200 elves, dragons and fire mage between 50-75% health and Imrik on 100%, good as new :v:

edit: The reason for the archers and silverin guard is I literally haven't felt the need to upgrade anything, gently caress I could probably just delete the infantry completly and barely notice it.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Just finished a short campaign in 99 turns as Avelorn.

After the last DLC High Elves have seemingly become even easier now that you can't swing a dead white lion without accidentally collecting 50 influence. And taking Quintex remains priority numero uno for all the Doughnut Elves, what an absolute money printer.

Things I continue to wish were mainstays for all races and not just High Elves:
-PO impacting tax rates, growth, etc
-Being able to spend more to recruit lords and heroes with better traits
-More and better landmarks. Holy gently caress there are so many good landmarks.

Also why does the faction with the best economy have so many ways to reduce upkeep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Anyone know a mod that makes pistoliers viable later in the campaign? I guess their upgrade is outriders but they need to stop and shoot, while my beloved noble sons just ride circles around orcs and whatnot and fire in every direction.