Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Moo the cow posted:

Germans and their ovens...

If you have a job, it's worth doing it properly :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

this is a real thing and it will work as desired assuming your house is wired normally.

And assuming you have two outlets on different sides of the split phase within two feet of each other, which I haven't had anywhere I've lived unless you count a dedicated appliance outlet.

I'd imagine that cable was made for use with a generator that was internally 240v but only exposed 120v outlets.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That cable was made by a stack exchange poster where everyone is telling him he will die

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/266647/taking-two-120-volt-outlets-and-combining-into-240-volts

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

New Zealand doesn't have the safest outlets but I like that they have little individual switches for each outlet. It seemed pretty standard when I visited at least.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
why dont you just install the sockets upside down so the ground is on top

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

My dad always said to avoid drinking hot water from the tap because of the risk of Legionnaire's disease :shrug:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If you have legionella in your hot water you're going to get sick from inhaling aerosolized water droplets while showering way before you have any problems from drinking it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Antigravitas posted:

If you have a job, it's worth doing it properly :colbert:

Well yeah, it's annoying to keep coming up with solution after solution.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RabbitWizard posted:

False.

With this simple Schutzkontaktsteckdose you have 2 ways to plug in the cable if you need the cable to go the other way.

To make the first connection to your device the ground. The Schutzkontaktsteckdose does it with prongs.

^^Antigravitas :argh:

Does this have some mechanism to make it so hot and neutral are not swapped when you plug it in the other way?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

so if I wanted to use a british appliance in my US home, would it be easier to use an adapter to tap off of one of the two 240v sockets I have for my oven and dryer?

also i never noticed but they have completely different plugs, I guess I only rly ever deal with dryers since all the rentals I've had come with their own oven range but not washer/dryer equipment

e: i cant think of a reason to use a uk appliance, tbh, when i make tea i just use a kettle on a gas stove burner

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 21, 2020

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/lac-megantic-crude-oil-train-canada-guernsey-saskatchewan-rail-1.5608769

quote:

Why crude oil trains keep derailing and exploding in Canada — even after the Lac-Mégantic disaster?
CBC News obtained five Transport Canada inspection reports from 2016 to 2020 for the CP line that stretches 183 kilometres from Wynyard, Sask., through Guernsey to Saskatoon, the province's most populous city.
The reports detail hundreds of problems found by inspectors: 131 "non-compliances" and 215 "concerns," including missing or defective railway ties (the wooden planks anchoring the track) and broken joint bars (which connect two long pieces of rail).
Ian Naish, a former director of rail investigations for the Transportation Safety Board (TSB), which investigates rail crashes, reviewed the inspection reports for CBC News.
He says the Saskatchewan track was in "really bad shape."
"That's an awful lot of non-compliance reports and concerns, and it looked like they were consistent over the three or four years," Naish said.
"Neither derailment was a surprise at all."

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Peanut Butler posted:

so if I wanted to use a british appliance in my US home, would it be easier to use an adapter to tap off of one of the two 240v sockets I have for my oven and dryer?

also i never noticed but they have completely different plugs, I guess I only rly ever deal with dryers since all the rentals I've had come with their own oven range but not washer/dryer equipment

depends on what it is. british and americans use a different electrical frequency, so motor based appliances either run a little too slow or a little too fast, i forget which.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hardon Crime posted:

why dont you just install the sockets upside down so the ground is on top

All of the outlets at my job are like this, but our electrical contractor is top notch and doesn’t cut corners. Not sure how widespread it is in practice.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

its required by code in most places ive lived.

its so if the plug comes loose and something metallic falls it can't connect the leads and short. with it upside down, it will connect a lead with the ground and short to ground.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 21, 2020

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

quote isn't edit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Spirit Otter posted:

depends on what it is. british and americans use a different electrical frequency, so motor based appliances either run a little too slow or a little too fast, i forget which.

British motors run faster and develop more power on American frequency. That’s not always a good thing, but it’s worse going the other direction. Motors designed for sixty hertz could have their iron cores enter magnetic saturation and badly overheat.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Story time! I worked at a certain UPS manufacturer for a number of years. I started on the phones there supporting smaller UPS capping at 10kVA. I once had an electrician call in blaming us for nuking a classroom full of computers. Turns out he bonded a ground to neutral on one of the 208v single phase units you could hardwire to get 120v to the room. Problem is, the unit specifically stated it only output 208 single and the wiring diagram doesn't demonstrate any 120v outputs. If you're saying "but D3lness, one hot to ground on single 208v should still net you 120v!" you'd normally be right. HOWEVER! this UPS didn't acheive 208v using two 120v legs at a 120 degree phase angle! No no! Company that will remain nameless noticed it would just be cheaper to simulate 208v single by using one leg at 60v and the other at 165v (I don't remember exactly, this was almost a decade ago) at a 180 degree phase angle. Dude flipped a figurative coin, hooked up the higher voltage leg, and killed a bunch of PCs in a school lab. No surge protectors either since the unit doubled as one. The guy was a huge dickwad to me so I took perverse pleasure in explaining to the school employee in charge of the project that his contractor hosed up by ignoring documentation and the call ending with "Thank you for the clarification D3ness, we'll talk to the contractor from here." The fact that he has load on the circuit before testing with a multimeter was just :psyboom:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If only there was a better way to transport oil, like some kind of line of pipes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/vzYSjov.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/KeZlkpA.mp4

Yin and yang

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 21, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I can't help but think of James Taylor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

StrangersInTheNight posted:

not much of a security system if it can be taken out by a single tripped breaker

I'm not sure doing things right is much of a priority for a place that had to plug something in before they put the plate on their outlet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

people going to extremes to get haircuts is sad and dangerous.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Does this have some mechanism to make it so hot and neutral are not swapped when you plug it in the other way?

Appliances are either properly isolated or grounded, so the safety aspect of polarised plugs doesn't matter.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

British plugs are inarguably the most osha for standing on barefoot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The last twenty seconds of Project Binky are definitely OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo0oqVtCJt8&t=2620s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88eb0WQ8Sn8

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cojawfee posted:

The french plugs seem nice in that they seem to be recessed, so you can't accidentally drop a coin and have it fall on exposed prongs like you can with a US outlet. but why is the ground terminal poking out like that?

You don't need to recess it for that, Australian/NZ plugs have the start of the active and neutral prongs insulated.

Jenny Agutter posted:

New Zealand doesn't have the safest outlets but I like that they have little individual switches for each outlet. It seemed pretty standard when I visited at least.

What's wrong with them?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah they're the same as Australian outlets and they're fine? The insulation on the prongs makes sure that even if they fall out a bit nothing can short them by falling in. And you can bend in the prongs a little on the plug so that it's harder to push them in, making sure they won't fall out.

While we're on the subject, I just saw this one posted in the wild.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/UlkbDOC.mp4

gas explosion in Zhejiang

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In 2017 I traveled to Canada through an agency, and on their briefing they mentioned that this adapter would be good to have. So I ordered one - five stars on the web store, btw - but they arrived on the day of the flight, so I didn't really have a chance to even look at the thing until I actually got to the house I was staying. When I finally got to the house, I inserted this into a socket and the thing lit up in sparks (inside the casing, thankfully). I immediately took it out from the outlet and threw it back in my luggage, and later or I left a one-star review complaining about it being a fire hazard.

Later still I got an email saying that my review wasn't approved for displaying.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Holy poo poo

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dunno about the camera operator, but the guy in front is very lucky the window he was looking out of was open.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

`Nemesis posted:

All of the outlets at my job are like this, but our electrical contractor is top notch and doesn’t cut corners. Not sure how widespread it is in practice.

It's extremely common in commercial and extremely rare in residential in my experience. Some places have local amendments that make it mandatory in one or both types of construction but mostly it's just contractor preference.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FbUiiwutQ&t=965s

There's Laser chat going on in the Riot thread that I don't want to contribute to.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://giant.gfycat.com/ImpassionedCompetentIbizanhound.webm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Looks like a toy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lurking Haro posted:

Appliances are either properly isolated or grounded, so the safety aspect of polarised plugs doesn't matter.

The used to not be! And you could have the casing bonded to neutral, with an unpolarized plug, which would do some interesting things to you if you hosed it up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Polarised plugs are safer even today.

Look at a simple lamp with an E27 socket. If the polarity is reversed, the switch won’t break the hot wire, and what’s worse is that the bulb socket is hot, not the contact deep in the base of the socket. It’s not hard to accidentally touch that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Looks like a toy.

Yeah it kinda does, but I think the person's arm moves towards the end of the clip.

This looks like a toy as well.

https://giant.gfycat.com/CompetentAdeptAlligator.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

BattleMaster posted:

No. But that only matters if you are working on a device while it is plugged in. Worst case i can imagine is a light bulb change.

In this case the whole metal screwy part could indeed be hot.