Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
guy decided to jump the eiffel tower, no one forced him to do so. it was neither an accident nor suicide.

he did not have to praise red bull before he did the most stupid thing in his life.

so...

cat tax 4 y'all:

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Torquemada posted:

I dunno, we’ve definitely had a ton of 9/11 parodies with Chris at the controls, it’s not like you’re actually watching him gasp his last breath.

I'm pretty sure that we're within a rounding error of it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Pull up, thread! Pull up!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure the Elite thread shits on Frontier's dumbass choices too, like the stupid fleet carriers.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Tippis posted:

They do this all over the place, like with the “camera stabilisation” they had to add to get rid of head-bobbing: implement a pointlessly complicated animation and camera control system that makes the viewport bob around like a drunken pigeon on a pogo stick, and then implement a pointlessly complicated counter-acting system that pre-calculates that bob and moves the camera around to cancel it out. As opposed to, you know, not tying the camera to the animation to begin with and just not have any view bobbing to deal with.

I remember seeing a video about their innovative handling of head bobbing which left me puzzled. At the time, I was a backer and didn't think further of it; I was already getting annoyed by their output frequency of ship videos and little else.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Head bobbing has always been stupid, like my head doesn't flop around when I walk.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

They are like 80% done guys!

(Made by unobtanium)

Only minor stuff like gameplay and networking stuff are left. Which are about as hard to implement as "unified friendlist".

I love how whoever made this chart tried to make look like there's not that much left to do- "Salvage & repair" is one box when it should be 2- "Pyro Solar System" is only one box... an entire system is just one box... "Alien Races" all (5?) of them are just one box, and my favorite "Sq42 episode 1" is just one box... the entire single player game...

Then they made it look like they've made more progress that they really have by putting stuff in the green "released" boxes when they're "tier-0" at best- "Planetary Weather"- are they really done with that? "Caves" "Eat and Drink" "Prison Gameplay" yeah, those are all good to go... "Refueling"? Does the Starfarer actually do something now? Or does he mean you hit a button and your fuel tanks go to 100%? "FOIP" oh yeah, that works great...

And then there's the stuff that has no buisiness being in the list in the first place- "Spectrum" Who cares that they have forums? What other games company touts "we have a forum" as some kind of feature?!? Same with "Delta Patcher"

The more I look at this the more pissed off I get... "Arena Commander" "Star Marine" and "ToW" have their own "corner of poo poo no one asked for", that's nice.

Oh- "Motion Capture" yeah Chris surely finished all that... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chris Roberts loves head bobbing. Like when he turns to Erin, Ben and Disco and says the most ridiculous idea for a gameplay mechanic and the three of them just look back at him and nod their heads in agreement. Then Disco says "and that's the Chris I love"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

trucutru posted:

(Made by unobtanium)

Only minor stuff like gameplay and networking stuff are left. Which are about as hard to implement as "unified friendlist".

Not listed: a design document

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Is Chris Roberts the Tommy Wiseau of video games...

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Oh hi Mark (Hamill)

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Tommy Wiseau at least delivered on his "masterpiece".

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

JackSplater posted:

:vince:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

JackSplater posted:

:drat:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

:lol:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Seizures are in!

https://i.imgur.com/EBRD7U2.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
loving lol i don't even know

https://i.imgur.com/am99n3U.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

This must be the body dragging they've been talking about for so long.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Head bobbing has always been stupid, like my head doesn't flop around when I walk.

It kind of does, but unlike the people who make and/or back Star Citizen, you also have this pattern-recognising signal processing organ hooked up straight to your eyes (or rather, the other way around) that has spent all of existence on filtering out that movement to the point where you have to make a deliberate effort to notice it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

New sleep paralysis v0.5 looking good

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Needs more head bob.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Jank Citizen - That sounds like a YOU PROBLEM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKR_GrEh3T8

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This seems pretty reasonable

(Lots of backers want the ship to be way more expensive)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DjGy4nHs.png[/img]"]Far too cheap. For a small org, at current earning potential, that could be just a week. There is no sense of accomplshinment there.

Should be 100,000,000 to 150,000,000 in UEC, imo.

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DjGy4nHs.png[/img]"]I think you're in for a rude awakening.

This is the game Chris wants, and the game CIG is making... they have to build a mountain for people to climb. That means the ship prices have to be... waaayyyyy higher, like it or not.

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DjGy4nHs.png[/img]"]This is not a ship for an individual player to "progress" to, they are not entitled to it.

This ship and larger is and should be tuned for organizational accusation, just as it will be for organizational operation.

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DjGy4nHs.png[/img]"]It's super cheap. You aren't supposed to earn it yourself.

Price needs to be higher.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Note to Lethality: keep doing what you're doing! :hmmyes:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I have never put over 100 hours in to a single game, nevermind spending 100 hours just to earn enough space bucks to buy a single ingame vehicle.

It's like those people who post about how much Elite sucks and has no content and turns out they've played it for like 300 hours.

Capital-G Gamers are broken.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

trucutru posted:

:gary:

This complete disregard for the players time is a thing to behold. Because, let's just assume for a moment the PU isn't a buggy, barely functional mess and everything works as intended (e.g. I don't loose my uEC when the game feels like it): This must be the most tedious, time-consuming "game" ever invented by another human being.
Which begs the question why space dads like it so much. Having a little human and a 9 to 17 job myself, I began to value my free time quite a lot. Spending 2 hours a day for games is lot for me these days, but factoring in the weekend it is possible. This means, according to that list I need only one month mind-numbingly grind to get a Carrack. And this is under perfect circumstances, so 2 months may be more realistic. To each his own I guess, but I'll pass. Star Citizen probably just isn't for me (... anymore, it read different 5 years ago when I've backed).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

What is even going on here? :stonk:

This is the kind of content I expect, though :)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Quavers posted:

That title card :discourse:

Holy poo poo lmao

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

ggangensis posted:

:gary:

This complete disregard for the players time is a thing to behold. Because, let's just assume for a moment the PU isn't a buggy, barely functional mess and everything works as intended (e.g. I don't loose my uEC when the game feels like it): This must be the most tedious, time-consuming "game" ever invented by another human being.
Which begs the question why space dads like it so much. Having a little human and a 9 to 17 job myself, I began to value my free time quite a lot. Spending 2 hours a day for games is lot for me these days, but factoring in the weekend it is possible. This means, according to that list I need only one month mind-numbingly grind to get a Carrack. And this is under perfect circumstances, so 2 months may be more realistic. To each his own I guess, but I'll pass. Star Citizen probably just isn't for me (... anymore, it read different 5 years ago when I've backed).

A spaceship has to require months of work to buy ingame, because if any chump can grind out a cool ship in a week you’ll feel silly about paying hundreds of dollars for that “status symbol” in the limited-time fomo sale.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

trucutru posted:

(Made by unobtanium)

I don't get this picture.

Why do they mix up low-level-stuff like "render to texture" (which is bog standard, you can read some OpenGL tutorial on the matter and understand how it works in a single day) with high-level stuff like "Pyro Solar System"? This picture is just a list of random poo poo, going from "why is this even on here?" to "pyro solar system" which will be a never-ending story in and of itself. Backers buy it, though. They understand game development.

As a side note: It is hilarious that these fucks even list things like "serialized variables" or "render to texture" and pretend that's some kind of great achievement. "Dynamic Audio Engine", like iMuse Tie Fighter had 25 years ago? Why not get poo poo like this just done, ship it in a patch, mention it in the patch notes and be done? This has the added bonus that it would be a pleasant surprise for poor backers for once. "Just noticed the music changed to 'Marche Funèbre' as I fell through the floor, that's a nice touch, well done CIG!".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I have never put over 100 hours in to a single game, nevermind spending 100 hours just to earn enough space bucks to buy a single ingame vehicle.

It's like those people who post about how much Elite sucks and has no content and turns out they've played it for like 300 hours.

I have about 13,000 hours in World of Warcraft since 2005 (that’s what these people think they’re getting, but with fidelitous graphics and spaceships). I’m currently playing Division 2 (slightly over 400 hours). I also spent about 300 hours playing The Witcher franchise, and probably 500 hours on the Fallout games. GTA series has probably given me 1000 hours since it started.
I do also play games that have endings, but if you have one that hits the spot that doesn’t have a traditional ending per se, you can rack up weeks of play with no effort.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

junan_paalla posted:

A spaceship has to require months of work to buy ingame, because if any chump can grind out a cool ship in a week you’ll feel silly about paying hundreds of dollars for that “status symbol” in the limited-time fomo sale.

... but... but I thought it's just a pledge to support development and the ship you get for it is just a nice, added bonus?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

'GPU Particles' has been developed and released. CIG proves itself once again to be a leading company in games development.

Oh, and 'Performance Telemetry', can't forget that. Super important and worthy of inclusion on a chart such as this.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Torquemada posted:

I have about 13,000 hours in World of Warcraft since 2005 (that’s what these people think they’re getting, but with fidelitous graphics and spaceships). I’m currently playing Division 2 (slightly over 400 hours). I also spent about 300 hours playing The Witcher franchise, and probably 500 hours on the Fallout games. GTA series has probably given me 1000 hours since it started.
I do also play games that have endings, but if you have one that hits the spot that doesn’t have a traditional ending per se, you can rack up weeks of play with no effort.

drat - those are some numbers. 300 hours is roughly my ultimate burnout time. For me go over 100 is rare. I think it's around 140 for AC:Origins, 180 for AC:Odyssey (the game that felt like it would never end), the only ones I topped 300 hours on would be the L4D titles with friends.

I have no idea what my /played time in WoW is but it's far less than it would have been had BFA not missed the mark with me; even Classic couldn't mend those wounds.

The point for gaming for me isn't so much to lose myself in another world (spend enough time in a single game and you start to "see the seams" for lack of a better term; meaning you stop getting immersed and you can start to feel the code - best example is how in Division 2 the enemy evasion/cover tactics are linked to your reload and aiming) but to try all kinds of different things. The best part of a game for me is a brand new one I've never played and I'm trying to figure out how to play, what the systems are, and what all the HUD elements are. Those are the only times I engage my brain enough to forget about real life for a while. Once you approach mastery level you can play absentmindedly and I usually dip at that point.

Cyberpunk is where all my thought is bent at the moment.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Same here, 100 hours is a lot for me. I have some Paradox games where I amassed ~200 hours over the last few years, but that's it.

It probably has to do with the fact that somewhere deep inside, I think gaming is a huge waste of time.
If I look at my hours I can't help but think that I could have used that time in a much better way: Learning an instrument (like, thousands of hours are for sure enough to get at least decent), do some programming project, ..., it doesn't matter. In essence, learning about any topic your heart desires, do sports if that's your thing, anything that improves yourself and give you a good feeling afterwards. Having wasted thousands of hours to get some virtual space ship just feels "wrong", also I don't see that as an accomplishment. Adjust the control scheme, train it a bit and a chimpanzee could achieve it with enough time, since there is no intellectual challenge... no accomplishment in that.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Cyberpunk is where all my thought is bent at the moment.

I've also said to myself "THIS time I will immerse myself in a game again", after having failed on that in the last few years. In fact, Witcher 3 was the last one I really got immersed in (~80 hours), so chances are good.

What you said about "feeling the programming" is quite on point. After a certain amount of time you just "feel" how the game works and where it's limitations are. It's the same time you realize "ok, I've seen all that's possible here, no more surprises to be expected" and this is the point where my motivation declines rapidly. It's just a matter of completing the game to get the conclusion by then and feels more like work.

I think it's the same for a lot of people and also a reason why so many got suckered into Star Citizen. Chris' promised that you'll never feel the underlying programming since there were no shortcuts taken or "game-y" elements. All is geared towards maximum fidelity. A single crater on that moon is larger than Skyrim, the sandworm never did that before, the excitement and amazement will never end with SC since everything can happen because CIG breaks the boundaries. At least this is what Chris wants the backers to believe and a lot of them firmly do. It's just bullshit of course, but it caters to an audience that is burnt out on gaming in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ggangensis posted:

I've also said to myself "THIS time I will immerse myself in a game again", after having failed on that in the last few years. In fact, Witcher 3 was the last one I really got immersed in (~80 hours), so chances are good.

What you said about "feeling the programming" is quite on point. After a certain amount of time you just "feel" how the game works and where it's limitations are. It's the same time you realize "ok, I've seen all that's possible here, no more surprises to be expected" and this is the point where my motivation declines rapidly. It's just a matter of completing the game to get the conclusion by then and feels more like work.

I think it's the same for a lot of people and also a reason why so many got suckered into Star Citizen. Chris' promised that you'll never feel the underlying programming since there were no shortcuts taken or "game-y" elements. All is geared towards maximum fidelity. A single crater on that moon is larger than Skyrim, the sandworm never did that before, the excitement and amazement will never end with SC since everything can happen because CIG breaks the boundaries. At least this is what Chris wants the backers to believe and a lot of them firmly do. It's just bullshit of course, but it caters to an audience that is burnt out on gaming in general.

Bolded part my emphasis - that's a good point and explains a lot about the backer mentality. They really don't like games, it's more like they want to, if only etc. etc. and of course it's all the poo poo Chris promised to do, and can't.