Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a map that has canon functioning HPG's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Functioning after the blackout? No. But prior to that it's safe to assume every world in the Inner Sphere has a functioning HPG on it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I guess that rules out the Hansa.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, they're specifically stated not to have them. HPGs are really only present on former Star League worlds or Clan space.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Or at least orbiting the same star.

There're supposedly 100 inhabited worlds in the Pleiades but only three of them have HPGs. The others matter so little they don't even get names.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Class B HPG is only going to fire once a day anyway, so it's not like it makes much of a difference whether it's on your planet or another one orbiting the same star.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I got the beginners box and am I supposed to be writing on the plastic mech sheet things with a pencil when my guy gets hit or I use ammo?

edit: since damage is assigned well after the shot is made, I have no way of remembering what hit and where it landed

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 16, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Baron Porkface posted:

edit: since damage is assigned well after the shot is made, I have no way of remembering what hit and where it landed

Declare what's shooting what (and with what) right away, but don't roll the ToHits until it's time to do damage. While you're still learning, resolve every weapon entirely before rolling the next one.

So, say your Wolverine is attacking the enemy Griffin with it's AC/5.
The Griffin is attacking your Locust with its PPC and LRM-10.
The Locust is attacking the Griffin with two LRM-5s because it's the worst Locust.
Etc.

Then when it's time to do damage, roll your ToHit for the Wolverine's AC/5, roll to determine where it hit, and apply the damage and crits (if any) right then. The damage gets applied immediately but it doesn't "count" (i.e. it doesn't reduce the target's capabilities) until every 'Mech in play has fired its weapons or passed its turn.

Then move on to the Griffin, and do the same for its weapons, firing one at a time. Say it kills the Locust during its attack. Cool.

The Locust hasn't fired yet so it still gets to fire with every weapon that was declared at the start of the turn, even though it's "dead."

Continue until you've gotten through every 'Mech in play.

Once you're comfortable with this, you can start rolling a 'Mech's weapons all together (provided you have differently-colored dice or a dice tray).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 16, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Baron Porkface posted:

I got the beginners box and am I supposed to be writing on the plastic mech sheet things with a pencil when my guy gets hit or I use ammo?

I've used dry/wet erase on those sheets and while it will leave a bit of residue they're reuseable if not left overnight or something.

Otherwise, photocopy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I don’t know what the fancy new sheets do but my solution worth old paper ones was always to just slip them in an clear plastic page sleeve and use a dry erase marker.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Beginner Box sheets are already plastic, a dry erase marker works well on them.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
btw, I thought Mechwarrior Destiny was a print preorder.. Nope, it's already shipped my copy. 0-o

Again, who are these folks and what have they done to CGL? (actually, never mind, just keep doing it!)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just took a loose sheet of paper and wrote down the table's actions, in very compact shorthand. I eventually made a program to do it for me, as well as taking care of the mech sheets if required.

Probably wasn't the fastest, but it was clear and helped me learn the game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What's a good source for transfers? I emailed the 'official' site and haven't heard anything back for a while

e: Also how is it that the most heavy metal unit in the most heavy metal clan (666th hells horses) don't have any cool transfers, whaaa

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 17, 2020

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Reading MW: Destiny, and trying to get my head around it. Probably will ditch the "Players can go wild with Narrations" that they suggest and go to more typical GM/Player interactions, but after reading through a couple times, I had s splash of insight comparing this to A Time Of War.

A Time of War Character in Battletech is like a character in a GRRM novel. Good? Possibly. But "Life is Cheap. Mechs are Expensive" is a way of life.
MW: Destiny is more like that GRRM novel character, in a movie directed by Michael Bay.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AToW is a system for people who want prescriptive systems. MW:D is for people who don't like them. No need to make this a "smart people like AToW, idiots like MW:D"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
MW:Destiny straight up says it's "this is BattleTech as an action movie." Not needing to track every bullet you own down to the c-bill is a feature, not a bug.

"Your character is smart enough to bring enough ammunition and reload while the camera's not pointed at them" is a very good stance for a theater of the mind RPG to take.

It also lets the GM use "You defeated the security guards who arrived after your failed hacking attempt, but now you're low on ammo" as a complication to add tension to a scene rather than just running out of laser bullets because you forgot to tell the GM you were recharging your space batteries in the truck on the drive over to the space dungeon.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I didn't say "smart people like AToW, idiots like MW:D"

PTN seems to get my gist.. that characters in MWD are generally more awesome because we assume competence (and we don't have to do 900 calculations to find out they're competent at it)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Any comparison to Michael Bay generally reads as "for idiots, and also racists" at this point. You don't drag him out as a value-neutral filmmaker.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Fine, we'll switch it to "in an action movie" :)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the core rules of Destiny a lot. It also seems easy to decouple the basic combat and action resolution and character creation rules from the rules for game and narrative and scene structure if you want something more like a classic RPG, without losing any of the action movie feel and tone of it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
IlClan Recognition Guide Vol. 1 is live on Catalyst store for $4.

Contents:
Griffin
Dominator
Goliath
Hellbringer
Commando
Pack Hunter
Grasshopper

15 record sheets for above

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Defiance Industries posted:

Any comparison to Michael Bay generally reads as "for idiots, and also racists" at this point. You don't drag him out as a value-neutral filmmaker.

...eh?

I'm not really gonna go to bat for Michael Bay that hard, dude's made some pretty bad movies at times, but I think most people think of him as the guy who really, really likes explosions to the detriment of everything that isn't explosions. He was even in a Verizon commercial like a decade ago that riffed on it. If someone's bringing him up in a value-neutral context, they're saying the thing they're talking about is relatively light on the big-brain thinky stuff and relatively heavy on explosions.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Explosions, racism and objectification, but not in that order.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

MW:Destiny straight up says it's "this is BattleTech as an action movie." Not needing to track every bullet you own down to the c-bill is a feature, not a bug.

"Your character is smart enough to bring enough ammunition and reload while the camera's not pointed at them" is a very good stance for a theater of the mind RPG to take.

Does it have fundamental merc company management mechanics, at least on the level of HBS?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm looking at the Clan invasion kickstarter and it says there is a choice of 2 of 19 lance/Star packs. Looking around I only see 5 current gen upcoming plastic packs, are the other 14 older generation?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm looking at the Clan invasion kickstarter and it says there is a choice of 2 of 19 lance/Star packs. Looking around I only see 5 current gen upcoming plastic packs, are the other 14 older generation?

There are a bunch more coming out in a 2nd (and maybe 3rd?) wave of releases.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How come the Jade Falcon, Wolves, and Hells Horses get to keep invading after the Great Refusal?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Baron Porkface posted:

How come the Jade Falcon, Wolves, and Hells Horses get to keep invading after the Great Refusal?

They decided it didn't apply to them.

No, seriously, that's the answer.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I read the book where the actual Great Refusal takes place and it was incredibly low effort. I wonder if FASA was paying authors at that point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Baron Porkface posted:

Vlad Ward abstained from the vote so the Wolves weren't bound by it. The Jade Falcons decided the Inner Sphere wasn't honorable so any bargains or trials with them were meaningless and void, and the Hell's Horses have always been all about copying what the cool kids were doing while being a decade behind the popular trends.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Baron Porkface posted:

The Great Refusal was a refusal to the vote to begin Operation: Revival. There's no trial you can challenge Clanners to that boils down to "you can't ever attack me again" because this society was founded by Nicholas Kerensky, an insane lunatic who hated everything and everyone that wasn't the military. So when they won the Great Refusal all it ACTUALLY meant was that the other Clans were now allowed to attack the Invading Clans and take worlds from each other, whereas under Operation: Revival, the invasion corridors were basically sacrosanct.

General Battuta posted:

I read the book where the actual Great Refusal takes place and it was incredibly low effort. I wonder if FASA was paying authors at that point.

Are you sure it wasn't just that you were older and you realized how bad Stackpole is at making engaging characters?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are a lot of notable mechwarriors in IlClan Recognition Guide Vol. 1; as in, way more than usual. For instance, there is an entire page just for Griffin pilots. Are these Kickstarter reward OCs?

Baron Porkface posted:

Does it have fundamental merc company management mechanics, at least on the level of HBS?

No. Destiny only deals with rules for individual characters doing stuff to or with other individual characters.

If you want comprehensive unit management, you can cobble it together from TechManual (for equipment price/availability/tech level/weight/etc. stats), Strategic Operations (for the maintenance, repair, and customization rules), and Campaign Companion (for unit creation and operation rules.)

It should be noted that even with the above books there is still a lot of need for filling in the blanks. Campaign Companion is kind of a messy book that has a lot of rules for doing things but no real "glue" for bringing them into a cohesive whole, plus you need information from two other books just to repair units.

I would love it if someone took the relevant stuff from those books and did a few passes to bring it together, sort of like an official version of the MekHQ stuff for MegaMek.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would say they're using these to clear out a bunch of KS rewards, yes. Anyone who's not in these will probably be a name in a Field Manual later.

e: The Griffin pilot who went rogue definitely predates the KS though, I think he's in TRO: 3025 or 39

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 21, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BattleMaster posted:

There are a lot of notable mechwarriors in IlClan Recognition Guide Vol. 1; as in, way more than usual. For instance, there is an entire page just for Griffin pilots. Are these Kickstarter reward OCs?

Some of them may be old MechWarrior Clix unique pilots. They show up from time to time in the new TROs.

I just got "Divided We Fall" in the mail today, psyched to read it tonight. Glad but also a little sad that the Dark Age Era is coming to an end in a year or two. I got into BT/MWDA through the clix game, still play that with a few friends who kept all their minis. Been almost 15 years, now we're finally getting a resolution to the Republic of the Sphere and the Dark Age.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Turning Points: Tyrfing came out and I missed that. It's about a five-way battle for a Terran Hegemony provincial capital only a couple years after Kerensky hosed off. The vast majority of stuff in BT is built around a two-sided battle so this is a nice change, especially the system where you make temporary alliances. Seems like it could be a lot of fun and really mix up fights.

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
edit: never mind

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does buying the Battletech manual get me?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The BattleMech Manual is a quick-reference guide for the most common rules, as well as a few of the most common optional rules, and a complete list of which 'mech has which quirk. It's a sidegrade from Total Warfare/Tac Ops/Strat Ops. It's less comprehensive but it has most of the enjoyable options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you're playing 'Mechs only it's the only book you need. If you like vehicles, battle armor, aerospace, etc., then you want Total Warfare.