Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

CharlestonJew posted:

it's pretty funny that Marlene asks him multiple times what he would do if it was Abby on the operating table and he always changes the subject

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s almost like the dilemma with Ellie at the end of the first game is insanely contrived for cheap drama and doesn’t withstand surface level scrutiny.

Well there ya go. How much of this game is just Neil Druckmann talking to himself (and still first draft?)

I think the comparison to GoT is too easy but it applies. It doesn't want to write scenes that are actually hard to write. The characters, as far as I've gotten, have nothing to say to eachother. Tommy has nothing to say to Joel, Tommy has nothing to say to Ellie after watching their family member die, even Joel's death scene is the easiest & stupidest fix to the problem of "killing Joel". The antagonist runs off on her own and they bump into eachother??? Tommy suddenly changes his mind and runs to Seattle, despite no evidence the antagonists are in Seattle. Maria changes her mind and lets Ellie leave without any resistance. Ellie and Dina bang and have NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT until the pregnancy reveal, which isn't even really a character trait. I don't know anything else about Dina. It's doing nothing interesting with its characters except torturing them.
I think this is actually downright offensive to the idea of "games as art". It has a meaningless script, without subtext or character development, and props it up on millions of dollars of CGI facial capture & several hundred overworked artists creating a generic world stuffed to the loving brim with unnecessary detail. Every time I see a horse hoof breaking the ice, or a hyperrealistic shirt coming off, I'm reminded that somebody had to miss their child's birthday party to make that. And what was it even for? I've played Twine games more interesting than this.
Honestly, I'm not even sure how much 'critical discussion' this game can have about its plot holes. I'm not entirely convinced that Neil Druckmann knows the point he wanted to make (besides that everyone wants revenge, sometimes its good sometimes its bad) because he's not an auteur. This is a grimdark, photorealistic, hyper-serious world with shitloads of unexplained zombies & an unironic use of the Henchman's Wife joke, followed shortly by Kicking the Dog then Petting the Dog with a straight face. It is not going to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This game is the Last Jedi of Citizen Kaines.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

LionArcher posted:

In short, if you don't like the game because you don't like grime, that's fine. But this is a game about the nature of violence, the pointlessness of it all, and if your reaction is that it's bad storytelling or it's dumb, I suspect you're just not willing to look in the mirror and look at your own faults and try to grow, or see that no one sees themselves as the villain. the real world is messy, and this game does a fantastic job of showing the nature of that, to the point of making you the player uncomfortable.

Wait.... was I not the good guy? Oh god. Oh no oh no oh no

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So have they figured out which wizard house ellie and abby belong to

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there’s a zombie rat king fight that absolutely hosed me up, god drat

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

FalconImpala posted:

Well there ya go. How much of this game is just Neil Druckmann talking to himself (and still first draft?)

I think the comparison to GoT is too easy but it applies. It doesn't want to write scenes that are actually hard to write. The characters, as far as I've gotten, have nothing to say to eachother. Tommy has nothing to say to Joel, Tommy has nothing to say to Ellie after watching their family member die, even Joel's death scene is the easiest & stupidest fix to the problem of "killing Joel". The antagonist runs off on her own and they bump into eachother??? Tommy suddenly changes his mind and runs to Seattle, despite no evidence the antagonists are in Seattle. Maria changes her mind and lets Ellie leave without any resistance. Ellie and Dina bang and have NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT until the pregnancy reveal, which isn't even really a character trait. I don't know anything else about Dina. It's doing nothing interesting with its characters except torturing them.
I think this is actually downright offensive to the idea of "games as art". It has a meaningless script, without subtext or character development, and props it up on millions of dollars of CGI facial capture & several hundred overworked artists creating a generic world stuffed to the loving brim with unnecessary detail. Every time I see a horse hoof breaking the ice, or a hyperrealistic shirt coming off, I'm reminded that somebody had to miss their child's birthday party to make that. And what was it even for? I've played Twine games more interesting than this.
Honestly, I'm not even sure how much 'critical discussion' this game can have about its plot holes. I'm not entirely convinced that Neil Druckmann knows the point he wanted to make (besides that everyone wants revenge, sometimes its good sometimes its bad) because he's not an auteur. This is a grimdark, photorealistic, hyper-serious world with shitloads of unexplained zombies & an unironic use of the Henchman's Wife joke, followed shortly by Kicking the Dog then Petting the Dog with a straight face. It is not going to make sense.

I wanted to bring up Game of Thrones as an example of the dichotomy of what the writer wants to portray and how it actually appears to most consumers/viewers/players.

They desperately tried to portray Daenerys as having always been destined to be a mad tyrant, except they stripped out all her motivation to do so from the books (like more problems on the other continent, as well as a potential imposter Targeryan who might steal her claim to king's landing) and just skipped to it at the end of the tv show. So she goes from basically the ideal game of thrones ruler - she basically only killed/ordered killed the most evil individuals possible (murderers, rapists, slavers) until the final season. She even exiled someone close to her that betrayed her instead of ordering him killed, as well as allowing someone who gave her awful advice to keep their freedom.

Then they got their Star Wars deal and Netflix deal and had to ram it all the way to the finish line, and made her do stupid poo poo that cost her dragons for no reason (that in itself was stupid). Then she kills most of king's landing for no reason (oh she suddenly snapped, woops!).

HELL - IT EVEN HAS AN ABBY GETS AWAY WITH IT MOMENT. Jon Snow managed to get out of punishment for killing Daenerys scott free, even though multiple groups of savagely loyal barbarians and loyal soldiers with a literal life debt to her (they'd let her kill them if she asked) let him live because the writers for the show felt like it.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Chaos is a ladder

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

I really hate that the chuds latched so hard onto this game, it completely undermines any valid criticism against the tone of the game and whether it is healthy to keep pushing ultraviolence in games as we rapidly reach photorealism.

To expand on this a bit - Here's some user overlap data for the main "negative" subreddit for TLOU2; r/thelastofus2, which got very popular after the leaks happened and now again once the game is out.

Top overlapping sub:

108.43 thenewright

Huh, weird. Oh look, there's more:

54.21 kotakuinaction2
54.21 the_cabal
40.66 kotakuinaction
27.11 lockdownskepticism
23.23 soyboys
14.79 tumblrinaction
12.51 4chan

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What does Kotaku do that it needs two subreddits to attack it?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

The game suffers from bad character development, a weak meandering storyline, and too much reliance on Big Emotional Moments that don't mean much because of trite, one note, one dimensional characters.

So, basically it's just like every other major, highly polished Entertainment Product that has come out in the past five years.

RDR2 was also a pretty good example of this.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

LionArcher posted:

In short, if you don't like the game because you don't like grime, that's fine. But this is a game about the nature of violence, the pointlessness of it all, and if your reaction is that it's bad storytelling or it's dumb, I suspect you're just not willing to look in the mirror and look at your own faults and try to grow, or see that no one sees themselves as the villain.

I think asking black/LGBT people to look in the mirror rather than fight back against a police state that's violating Geneva conventions is a pretty poor take, in my opinion. These people have been getting killed and history has taught us that the only way to fix things (which we're starting to see) is by realizing the power you wield and fighting back because peaceful protests failed. The world could have looked in the mirror but Hitler wouldn't have stopped his genocide while they did, for example.

I'm not advocating that people go on murderous rampages but an entertainment product stating that resistance is pointless in the current political climate is pretty tasteless. At the same time they obviously had no idea things would be this bad when they began development but still, people have a right to criticize flaws. Maybe look in the mirror and check your privilege if you think that's an outrageous take?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It’s gotta be the most liberal thing ever to stare agog at endless misery and violence and then to sit back and feel very deep pondering the meaning of it.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 20, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Speaking of, what’s the word on the horse testicles in this game?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

hatty posted:

One is for your average anti PC conservative, one is an outright nazi board.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

sitchensis posted:

The game suffers from bad character development, a weak meandering storyline, and too much reliance on Big Emotional Moments that don't mean much because of trite, one note, one dimensional characters.

So, basically it's just like every other major, highly polished Entertainment Product that has come out in the past five years.

RDR2 was also a pretty good example of this.

We'll see if it's one of the rare games that the games industry and games 'journalists' jerk off endlessly over while calling it art. I still remember this dumb loving take :

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

lurker2006 posted:

One is for your average anti PC conservative, one is an outright nazi board.

they're both outright nazis, the second one is just more rabid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hatty posted:

on reddit if you see splintered subs, it's usually because either a) the original mods and culture of the sub grew so toxic, racist, bigoted etc that folks had to leave to escape it. That, or the original sub wasn't putting up with racism, toxicity, racism, bigotry, etc so they reactively make their own waste dumps to congregate in. "Anarchy" is a subreddit tile that says the same thing, users got upset at "censorship" and "basic expectations for civil interaction" so they need to make somewhere they can be true pieces of poo poo unchained.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I do wonder, chuds aside, how long before we see some medium post citing this game to chide black protestors on “cycles of revenge” lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

the_enduser posted:

It's a bummer this game can't get real criticism because of how politically charged it is. Like I said earlier, most people that dislike it are getting branded as alt-right bigots because you have to like anything progressive because it's progress you see! Look at how they put two women into a relationship! No one has done that before!

A lot of people calling the dude Cuckman too doesn't help, it just makes it sound petty and you lose all credibility to criticize it, and then everyones just like, see it's just the bigots that hate this game, fueling the polarization of it.

Thankfully Ghost of Tsushima is out next month and I bet all this will die down by then.

no actually its kind of easy to tell if a criticism of this game is well thought out or comes from an alt-right imbecile you just... read the words

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know what that zebra cutscene's point was but it made me wish Joel had killed more fireflies in the first game.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The guards wife but unironic and totally missing the point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

theres a lot of people mad that it exists for some reason

Zeta Acosta posted:

The guards wife but unironic and totally missing the point

you didnt understand the ending of prey

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

What TLoU2 tells us, in the time of Black Lives Matter, in an era of rampant political polarization, where extremes can be found on both sides and hate is the flavor of the month, is that fighting isn’t always the answer. All defending a minor from forced euthanasia does is perpetuate a cycle of hate for another generation. There may be much both sides can learn from this game and about how we talk to each other as Americans. All lives, including black ones, matter. It’s time our games said as much.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Khanstant posted:

wow, that couldve been like 6 bucks of store credit

Sadly not even that!

https://twitter.com/e3_waitfor/status/1274209020618829826

Its because of COVID blah blah blah roll with the jokes people

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I think asking black/LGBT people to look in the mirror rather than fight back against a police state that's violating Geneva conventions is a pretty poor take, in my opinion. These people have been getting killed and history has taught us that the only way to fix things (which we're starting to see) is by realizing the power you wield and fighting back because peaceful protests failed. The world could have looked in the mirror but Hitler wouldn't have stopped his genocide while they did, for example.

I'm not advocating that people go on murderous rampages but an entertainment product stating that resistance is pointless in the current political climate is pretty tasteless. At the same time they obviously had no idea things would be this bad when they began development but still, people have a right to criticize flaws. Maybe look in the mirror and check your privilege if you think that's an outrageous take?

In my post I never brought up either black/LGBT to look in a mirror. Being angry at a system that fundamentally doesn't work (or a group of people like police) makes total sense.

That's not what the game is talking about, nor is it what I'm talking about.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Might as well close this thread if it is going to be a perpetual circle of someone saying something and Stux, ever vigilant they are, spews mindless contrarian rebuttals and/or insults the poster for reasons completely unrelated to the posting.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

qnqnx posted:

Might as well close this thread if it is going to be a perpetual circle of someone saying something and Stux, ever vigilant they are, spews mindless contrarian rebuttals and/or insults the poster for reasons completely unrelated to the posting.

or maybe just drop a lengthy probation on stux and see if it improves things

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

BexGu posted:

Sadly not even that!

https://twitter.com/e3_waitfor/status/1274209020618829826

Its because of COVID blah blah blah roll with the jokes people

lol there will 100% be morons spreading this around as proof that there's a wave of refunds

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

qnqnx posted:

agreed the openly nazi guy should be able to post in peace

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
gently caress closing the thread, TLOU2 is only gonna get remembered for the various meme's, time to have fun with it.

[url]https://[/url] twitter.com/MemeCryptum/status/1274288146360922113

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

LionArcher posted:

In my post I never brought up either black/LGBT to look in a mirror. Being angry at a system that fundamentally doesn't work (or a group of people like police) makes total sense.

I was commenting on the game being about the pointlessness of violence according to you, and using recent events as commentary on that being poor storytelling imo, that's all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BexGu posted:

gently caress closing the thread, TLOU2 is only gonna get remembered for the various meme's, time to have fun with it.

should watch the thing or at least scroll down one reply to see if what youre posting has something insanely gross in it or not probably.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

BexGu posted:

https://twitter.com/MemeCryptum/status/1274288146360922113

Heh, I wonder if they had a directive to make sure the game was UNMEMEABLE like Anthem. Instead they made a game nobody remembers exists (Anthem).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lovely Wizard posted:

Heh, I wonder if they had a directive to make sure the game was UNMEMEABLE like Anthem. Instead they made a game nobody remembers exists (Anthem).

lol was that really a thing?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

BexGu posted:

https://twitter.com/MemeCryptum/status/1274288146360922113

Meme thread and srsposting thread for joyless posters...I can dig that.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

lovely Wizard posted:

And this is like the third one! There's the choke scene, the sex scene, and also the Falcon Punch.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Brother Entropy posted:

lol was that really a thing?

Yep.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Making sure your animations look good so people don't endlessly mock them on the internet is a good thing. Unfortunately they seem to have forgotten that making their game unmemorable for being poorly animated wasn't the same as making the game good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

qnqnx posted:

Meme thread and srsposting thread for joyless posters...I can dig that.

It rly makes u think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

LionArcher posted:

what is the game talking about