Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nice! Is that Aggaros Dunes or Skeleton Horde? I'm planning for using Contrast for my Death Guard too (I'm going for the Lords of Decay, so this scheme's basically what I'm planning to go for).

thanks, and yeah, it's skeleton horde over wraithbone. I like the scheme a lot more (my halfassed effort notwithstanding) than the standard green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The Bee posted:

We've got no rule updates this time. Ork faction focus was basically the same as usual, rather than the huge rule change hidden in the Sisters of Battle update.

Surprisingly no mention of Morale, too. You'd expect to see it mentioned with regards to their morale-circumventing rule, but I guess not.

What was the SoB change?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ineptmule posted:

What was the SoB change?

The Sisters of Battle update snuck in the limit on multi-charges (if you can't reach all units you charge, you can't charge at all) and the redone character target rules (a blend of 8th edition standard and older Look Out Sir. You can now target a character if A) they're the closest visible model, B) they aren't within 3 inches of either a 3+ model infantry unit or a monster/vehicle unit, or C) over 9 wounds baseline).

There are still some oddnesses there. For example, one Demon Prince out in the open is ripe for the picking, but two Demon Princes out in the open can't be targeted because a squad of Cultists is slightly closer to your shooters. But compared to 8th, there should be a lot fewer weird, unintuitive gotchas, and I'm pretty sure the odd interaction I said for character monsters/vehicles is going to be patched faster than you can say "Ferrus Manus."

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hello darkness my old friend.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TKIY posted:

Hello darkness my old friend.

Aren't you buying an elf army too, you absolute lunatic?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Aren't you buying an elf army too, you absolute lunatic?

I seem to recall that this is possible because I am one of the seven richest Kings in Europe.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

The Bee posted:

Look Out Sir. You can now target a character if A) they're the closest visible model, B) they aren't within 3 inches of either a 3+ model infantry unit or a monster/vehicle unit, or C) over 9 wounds baseline).

, but two Demon Princes out in the open can't be targeted because a squad of Cultists is slightly closer to your shooters.
Didn't it mention that anyone with the character keywords won't count for look out sir? So 2 demon princes each with the character keyword woulded block anything since they both have the keyword and they aren't within 3" of something.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

the moose posted:

Didn't it mention that anyone with the character keywords won't count for look out sir? So 2 demon princes each with the character keyword woulded block anything since they both have the keyword and they aren't within 3" of something.

No, that's not quite what it said. Models with the character keyword and under 9 wounds don't count for determining range, but the basic determination of whether to check range relies on another MONSTER or VEHICLE within 3 inches.

So each Demon Prince is a MONSTER and CHARACTER. When they're standing next to eachother, they're within 3" of a MONSTER, which means they can only be targeted if they're the closest model to the shooting unit. As long as there's any other unit slightly closer, even if further than 3" from either Demon Prince, neither Demon Prince can be targeted.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

the moose posted:

They mentioned it doesn't count for identifying the closest unit. This means if you have two Demon Princes out in the open, your opponent can shoot either with impunity.

However, this does not alter the protection for being within 3 inches of a sufficiently large infantry blob, single monster, or single vehicle. There are cases when it's important that this applies! If a Chaos Lord and a Demon Prince are out in the open, side by side, you can only shoot the Prince. Yet for Demon Princes, it lets them cover each other.

This, alone, doesn't save the Demon Prince. You can still shoot it if its the closest unit. However, lets say your unit is surrounded by a close unit of Cultists. They aren't near the Prince, but they're the closest unit to your unit. If it was just one Cultist and one Demon Prince, you can fire on the Prince with impunity. If it was just two Demon Princes, you can fire on at least the closer one. But combine the two scenarios? The cultists that weren't an obstruction suddenly turn into one now, even of you theoretically have twice the Demon Prince to focus on instead.

The main difference between this example and, say, a Broodlord leading a pack of Genestealers, with a Hormagant unit providing interference, is that in that example you can either fire down the Stealers or the Gants to open up the Broodlord. Taking out the Stealers would let the entire rest of your army open fire on the Broodlord. In the Twin Prince example, its the adjacent Cultists or bust, so some good unit screening and a fortunate shooting phase can lead to your Princes being literally unhittable.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Getting to the rest of the Rubric Marine.

Went with the contrast side of things, since most people seemed to prefer that. Not sure about the freehand on the tabard. May give that up going forward. It is definitely not one of my strengths as a painter.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think it looks nice.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

JackMann posted:

Went with the contrast side of things, since most people seemed to prefer that. Not sure about the freehand on the tabard. May give that up going forward. It is definitely not one of my strengths as a painter.

Oh hush that looks phenomenal, even the free hand. Keep it up, yo.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Getting Citadel paints out of the pot and into the airbrush continues to upset me. Decanting them to a dropper bottle is a loving nightmare, and doing it from the pot either ends with the horror of cleaning a clogged airbrush, or passing the viscosity by the finest of margins so it turns into a spiderwebbing mess.

Beginning to think I cannot actually do this.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JackMann posted:

I think the gold is a tad bit too bright. Try shading it with some purple.

Freehand looks good.

Shockeh posted:

Getting Citadel paints out of the pot and into the airbrush continues to upset me. Decanting them to a dropper bottle is a loving nightmare, and doing it from the pot either ends with the horror of cleaning a clogged airbrush, or passing the viscosity by the finest of margins so it turns into a spiderwebbing mess.

Get a bunch of disposable pipettes that they use for filling vaping kit. Essential for airbrushing.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 20, 2020

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Little rule update in the Death Guard Faction Focus today.

quote:

Since the player who isn’t taking their turn gets to choose the first non-charging unit to fight with...

https://www.warhammer-community.com...DeathGuardJUN20

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

a witch posted:

Little rule update in the Death Guard Faction Focus today.

https://www.warhammer-community.com...DeathGuardJUN20

That’s a nice little change. Makes unit selection a little more important, since up to this point it was mostly a gimme aside from possibly heading off interrupts with strong units.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
On the surface this seems like a nerf to assault units. But I think it might actually be a buff, if you play how GW intended? I charge my high priority melee unit into your unit, so I get the first swing with them. Then, on my turn, I get to attack with them again. If my melee unit can't get the job done by my next turn, then you get a chance of going for the swing on my turn.

This, the Overwatch change, and the multicharge change have me thinking GW wants to cut down on pile-in moves and consolidations letting you awkwardly do the worm around your opponent's army, because that gives them a lot of initiative, while instead rewarding you for coming in on the charge.

Its also interesting because, if you don't charge on a turn, the Assault Phase is the one time your opponent has the advantage over you on your own turn. Though if you're an army that doesn't want to be in melee, the mere existence of the assault phase serves that role, and if you're an army that does want to be in melee, why are you in melee without charging someone's rear end?

Also, I lied! There may have been a rule tidbit hidden in the Ork update.

"The new terrain rules will also be appreciated by all Orks players. With terrain having clearly defined features, you don’t have to worry about your opponent seeing through a crack in the wall to shoot your entire Boyz squad. You can even give your squads a -1 modifier to be shot!"

Some people are tying this to a third cover type mention on podcast, Dense Cover, which may give a -1 to hit rolls rather than even factoring wounds into the equation. But with the restrictions on Obscuring cover, and it not working on units that are actually within the cover, I could see the traditional ITC L-Blocks turning into Dense, Obscuring Terrain.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 20, 2020

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Shockeh posted:

Just don’t use Citadel paints. Vallejo works perfectly without having to worry about that nonsense.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Bee posted:

On the surface this seems like a nerf to assault units. But I think it might actually be a buff, if you play how GW intended? I charge my high priority melee unit into your unit, so I get the first swing with them. Then, on my turn, I get to attack with them again. If my melee unit can't get the job done by my next turn, then you get a chance of going for the swing on my turn.

The unit you charged still gets to swing back on the turn you charged, this just changes the order of combat from going A -> B -> B -> A to instead going A -> B -> A -> B for units that end up stuck in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Shockeh posted:

Thank you for saying this. One of my Warhammer buddies insists they work fine for him and it has been agony for me. I've gotten really good at disassembling my airbrush though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

The unit you charged still gets to swing back on the turn you charged, this just changes the order of combat from going A -> B -> B -> A to instead going A -> B -> A -> B for units that end up stuck in.

Yep! Its just that A -> B -> A means you get two swings at them before they get two swings at you, whereas before the opponent could swing at your unit twice before you could retaliate.

I think if anything, this might be most advantageous for melee vs melee matchups. Before, charging into melee would probably just get your assault units pulped by their assault units. Now, if your alpha strike hits hard enough, their diminished force won't be able to counterattack and you'll be able to put some serious damage on. After being whittled down to size by some enemy shooting and meeting in the middle of the battlefield, let's see what happens when 10 Genestealers crash into a pack of 20 Boyz.

10 models make 40 attacks, hitting on 3s. That comes out to 26 successful hits. Strength and Toughness are equal, so half of those come out to 13 successful wounds. And with Rending Claws slicing through the t-shirt save, you just cut that Boy mob down to size.

7 Boyz are left, and they lose their Green Tide. This means they're only making 3 attacks each, for a total of 21. At the same WS, 66% of those land, for a total of 14 hits. Strength and Toughness are equal, so only 7 go on to wound. And of those wounds, 33% are saved. Your Genestealers take 5 wounds, and are down to half their size.

In 8th, on your opponents turn, the Boyz would swing for another 5 wounds and your Genestealers would be toast. The remaining 7 could link up to another squad of Boyz or replenished the unit with the Green Tide stratagem, and then they could go on to wreak havoc on your Termagant gunline. Your Genestealers would've been wasted doing little more than stalling for time. How would it go in 9th?

You certainly wouldn't be hitting as hard. Now your 5 models are making 3 attacks each, for a much smaller total of 15. But that's still 10 hits, of which 5 are expected to wound. Now the Boyz are down to two units, and without their huge unit size to protect them from morale your opponent's basically lost his mob. Your Genestealers might be a quarter of their ideal size, but they can still put in some work doing backline harrassment and shock charges. Or they can soak up fire and die having served their purpose.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 20, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished up another block of Poxwalkers while I wait for WotS to arrive:

I had a bunch of other things planned but mysteriously a magnetized Helbrute and a Lord of Contagion appeared on my shelf. :ohdear:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I sold all my hams last Spring. I saw they've announced 9th Edition. Haven't read every blog post from GW but it sounds mostly good from what I HAVE read.

My biggest question - have we seen enough of the new rules to determine if anyone anywhere will actually field Marines? From what I recall of 8th - from my miniscule amount of experience - was that regardless of Codex they were generally too expensive and you were almost always better off running "the next tier down" of Infantry?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I sold all my hams last Spring. I saw they've announced 9th Edition. Haven't read every blog post from GW but it sounds mostly good from what I HAVE read.

My biggest question - have we seen enough of the new rules to determine if anyone anywhere will actually field Marines? From what I recall of 8th - from my miniscule amount of experience - was that regardless of Codex they were generally too expensive and you were almost always better off running "the next tier down" of Infantry?

Marines have been top tier since their new codex, and even after a nerf, are still pretty great. I'm not sure what you mean by them being too expensive? You're always gonna pay a lot per model for an elite army.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like my evil horsey.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I like my evil horsey.

Nice horsey. Are they on the same size cavalry base as the Rangers with the Arquebus?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gunder posted:

Nice horsey. Are they on the same size cavalry base as the Rangers with the Arquebus?

Yep! I do believe they are!

For the next two horseys, I am going to paint them in more sub assemblies. I actually made my work harder on this one, because I assembled the whole thing and then started painted. Not a good idea. I thought if I just did the horse, and then the skitaari second, I would be fine, don't do it like this. Paint the first half, then the second half, then the head, and then glue them all together. Much easier.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When you paint in sub assemblies, do you use super-glue to finish the build, or do you scratch off some paint somewhere and use plastic glue?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gunder posted:

When you paint in sub assemblies, do you use super-glue to finish the build, or do you scratch off some paint somewhere and use plastic glue?

I try not to get paint on the parts that I know will be glued together, but there's no wrong way to do it. People say that if you glue painted parts together then the glue will not stick, I haven't had this experience, but it depends on the glue.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Halp, I'm still stumbling down the road to Not Badness.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm still trying to nail down a scheme to use on my plague boys, and accidentally recreated Tarantulus' scheme from Beast Wars. Oops. I can't find the option to change the size of images shared from imgur anymore, and I don't have a light box so the shots are outside and a big overexposed, but it's what I have. Anyway, I'll try to take this as a learning experience. C&C very welcome.

1). His right arm is green because I was experimenting with brighter greens, and changed my mind afterwards. There's a few mistakes like this that I left to help me think about my choices. For example, I originally just tried to paint the rivets blue, but I accidentally hit one with my metal highlight and left it so I could compare the effect.

2). My brush control is bad, and there's no way I can do simple edge highlighting right now. I try to brace my hands, but I think paint consistency and brush tip control are weaknesses.

3). I need to stop trying to blend shades that are too far away. It creates too much work, and because my brush control isn't great it just makes more room for sloppy mistakes.

4). I struggle with color choice. I have a sort of idea of what I want but I don't have the, uh, art vocabulary to express it. Not sure how to fix that.

5). I need to not be afraid to use brighter colors. I think what I'm going for wants high contrast anyway.

6). Lol I still struggle with flat areas on power armor. How do I highlight and shade it? Where do I put the colors?

7). I thought to attempt some green, oily leakage from the holes (which I also struggle with highlighting cleanly), but Biel-Tan green didn't show up very much. Would thinned down Moot Green work? These things dry darker than they go on, and I'm not good at layering colors yet so this all just feels like a messy, clumsy attempt at imitating other's work.

8) I didn't try to do any corrosion, rust, or other wear effects. The lgs sells Secret Weapon weathering powder; does anyone have experience with that?

So, these pictures are the inspiration for the aesthetic I want- I would like to create the image of looming, creepy warriors trudging through a fungal landscape that you would expect to see out of Nausicaa or an old Ralph Bakshi film. I still plan on using a bunch of Warhammer Fantasy skeletons as plaguebearers/poxwalkers, and maybe even paint the unit leaders with red skulls as Redcaps, but if I'm going to make a fungal themed army I need to make sure I have the aesthetic down.

As for basing, well I like the image of a dusty, rhyzoid crusted, windswept plains but that's a bit out of my expertise too.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Space Marines are literally the meta-defining S-tier faction. Even after nerfs.

Everyone, everywhere, fields Space Marines because they are also literally by far the most popular faction in 40k.

It’s still way too early to know how Space Marines will be, power level wise, in 9th. However all current codexes will be usable with 9th. So it’s likely Marines will still be good.

With that said, play testers have implied that the rules for all the 9th edition codexes were developed at the same time, so hopefully there will be better balance across factions.

By all accounts so far, 9th will be the most user-friendly and streamlined edition of 40k yet.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Shockeh posted:

Getting Citadel paints out of the pot and into the airbrush continues to upset me.

When people start airbrushing, this is one the revelations most of us have.

Good news tho, there's a lot of better options.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Love the paints themselves, but hate the bottles. gently caress Citadel.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Space Marines are literally the meta-defining S-tier faction. Even after nerfs.

Everyone, everywhere, fields Space Marines because they are also literally by far the most popular faction in 40k.

It’s still way too early to know how Space Marines will be, power level wise, in 9th. However all current codexes will be usable with 9th. So it’s likely Marines will still be good.

With that said, play testers have implied that the rules for all the 9th edition codexes were developed at the same time, so hopefully there will be better balance across factions.

By all accounts so far, 9th will be the most user-friendly and streamlined edition of 40k yet.

I think by "actual Marines", they meant as opposed to Scouts or Cultists, considering the usage of next tier down.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shockeh posted:

I got a cheap plastic funnel for transferring GW paints into dropper bottles. It's a bit tedious, but it's easy enough. The larger pots won't quite fit into a 1/2 oz dropper bottle, so you have a bit of wastage (and the smaller ones don't quite fill it up), but other than that I haven't had any issues. The hardest part is writing the name of the paint on the bottle (I use address labels for this).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

Love the paints themselves, but hate the bottles. gently caress Citadel.

I will never figure out how to avoid getting that little ring of paint that starts from the back aside from never ever tipping the pot back when opening it

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
I’m hoping these work out to fix the citadel pot issue: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/droptop/droptop-by-drtabletop

I am utterly uncreative and rely on their paint color system to make things look okay, but even getting enough paint out with a brush to mix on the palette can be a chore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Muninn posted:

I’m hoping these work out to fix the citadel pot issue: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/droptop/droptop-by-drtabletop

I am utterly uncreative and rely on their paint color system to make things look okay, but even getting enough paint out with a brush to mix on the palette can be a chore.

Thank you! I had saw this a few months ago and have been trying to find it again. I was wondering if this Kickstarter had launched their product yet, they have no, but they will start shipping in August.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So guys, I've totally got an uncle who works for Games Workshop, and he told me a bunch of leaks for 9th edition! Are your ready to have your socks blown off? Then read ahead!

In 9th edition, Tyrannids get new wargear that requires you to put tiny hats onto all of your xenomorph critters for hive fleet specific bonuses.

In 9th edition, Space Marines will get a native +1 to their shooting, but only if you say 'pew pew' when making hit rolls.

In 9th edition, custodes can say 'gently caress.'

In 9th edition, you're required to smash dead models with a hammer at the end of your turn. If you have an ability that returns them to play, you have to quickly glue the pieces together.

In 9th edition, in the morale phase, instead of rolling, your opponent screams as loudly as they can into your face. If you flinch, you lose a model.

In 9th edition, all Space Marine characters will be wearing mankinis.

In 9th edition, Dark Angels deploy directly to the trash can.

In 9th edition, if you play first founding chapters, you will not be required to ask 'who's your daddy' when fighting your successor chapters, but it's highly encouraged.

In 9th, a new keyword 'Dummy Thicc' has been applied to certain units, preventing them from deepstriking or coming from reserves (due to the clap of their rear end cheeks).

In 9th edition, in addition to Crusade, we're releasing rules for another way to play: Cat Mode. A cat is released on the table. Any models it swats over are instantly slain.

In 9th edition, there is no longer only war. There are also occasional breaks for mimosas.

In 9th edition, the player who goes first gets an extra command point. The player who goes second gets kicked in the crotch and told to roll better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Haha, got em