Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've been making so many non-beef meatballs lately. My new favorite is ground chicken with tons of lemongrass and ginger. I've been tossing around the idea of doing them more as a quenelle just to get that ridiculously pillowy texture, but its been brutal at work the last two weeks and I just haven't had the energy.

I've made kofta two or three times since the pandemic started. My new favourite way is to make a cylinder about the size of my thumb. It gets the right surface and crispiness - not too far from a quenelle, either!

The other day I was thinking about making kofta while looking at my waffle iron....

Should I try cooking kofta in the waffle iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm looking at my soda stream and wondering if I can carbonate wine, so I don't know if I'm the person to ask about getting weird with a waffle iron, but I think its important to do weird poo poo for no reason other than it might just be cool.

edit: but waffle irons = max crispiness so I think its not only important but necessary.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

How Wonderful! posted:

There are a bunch of different kinds of vegetarian/vegan meatballs I've been wanting to try and this could be a fun opportunity..

i work(ed? havent been in the office for a while) near a fast food joint that specializes in healthy options. they have an eggplant "meatball" that absolutely owns

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had a sodastream as a kid*, and I have one now as an adult, and I would recommend against carbonation anything but water. When you try to carbonate wine, it’s very difficult to get the fizziness level right, and even if you do, there is a very high risk of spraying wine absolutely everywhere unless you release the pressure incredibly carefully.

* As a child, I tried to directly carbonate both orange juice and milk on separate occasions and created a god awful mess

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

I've made kofta two or three times since the pandemic started. My new favourite way is to make a cylinder about the size of my thumb. It gets the right surface and crispiness - not too far from a quenelle, either!

The other day I was thinking about making kofta while looking at my waffle iron....

Should I try cooking kofta in the waffle iron?

You certainly CAN cook kofta in a waffle iron, but I’d expect by the time the meats gets any color at all, it’ll be super overcooked and dry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm looking at my soda stream and wondering if I can carbonate wine, so I don't know if I'm the person to ask about getting weird with a waffle iron, but I think its important to do weird poo poo for no reason other than it might just be cool.

edit: but waffle irons = max crispiness so I think its not only important but necessary.

I carbonated some cheap pino grigio with my homemade carbonation setup.

It worked OK. Not amazing but I didn't have much of a problem with making a mess. You definitely want to really chill it before trying to carbonate, it'll help dissolve a little more CO2 in / make it more bubbly.

I've never used an actual sodastream so I can't speak for mess vs lack of mess there.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Scientastic posted:

I had a sodastream as a kid*, and I have one now as an adult, and I would recommend against carbonation anything but water. When you try to carbonate wine, it’s very difficult to get the fizziness level right, and even if you do, there is a very high risk of spraying wine absolutely everywhere unless you release the pressure incredibly carefully.

* As a child, I tried to directly carbonate both orange juice and milk on separate occasions and created a god awful mess

Good to know, I haven't started doing any serious experimentation with the stream, but stir crazy is bound to lead to it eventually. My other thought was carbonating something like a hibiscus tea, which is probably enough like water to work.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
carbonated oj was absolutely delicious

trick is low level of carbonation, nontrivial viscosity has huge effect on fuckin up apparatus

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

carbonated oj was absolutely delicious

trick is low level of carbonation, nontrivial viscosity has huge effect on fuckin up apparatus

GWS General Chat: nontrivial viscosity has huge effect on fuckin up apparatus

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I guess I don’t see the point in having a low level of carbonation.

I’d rather have a room covered floor to ceiling in extraordinarily fizzy wine, than a glass of mildly gassy juice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I went to pick up some delicious ginger beer (beer with added ginger) from a brewer near me, which I ordered online for collection. I was emailing one of the owners to arrange collection and mentioned how delicious his beer was, and how I’d been making my own non-alcoholic one (thanks mediaphage!). So when I went to collect my beer I took some of my home brew for the guy to try. He used their carbonator to fizz my ginger beer. It was interesting - it was borderline not sweet enough before but definitely needed more sweetness once carbonated.

He also gave me a taste of their rhubarb cider (apple cider with rhubarb). I wanted to taste it but could not buy any as it is keg only for now, so he poured me a glass. Really good. It was quite light, dry, subtle and sophisticated. I don’t usually like cider.

It was a really nice little visit.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We ate the first of the chickens we raised today. Came out tender, flavorful and delicious. The legs are absolutely massive, the breasts are a good size as well. All in all I’m very happy with the results.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We ate the first of the chickens we raised today. Came out tender, flavorful and delicious. The legs are absolutely massive, the breasts are a good size as well. All in all I’m very happy with the results.

Did it feel awkward at all eating something you had raised?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

drrockso20 posted:

Did it feel awkward at all eating something you had raised?

Not really. The only thing I was worried about was loving it up since I raised him and had him killed myself. It made me take more care and pay attention, so it kind of focused me in a way and made the meal more personal. I didn’t want to waste him and wanted to ensure he was delicious.

My wife said it was awkward for her though. She still has an emotional attachment to the birds.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son just asked for Comte instead of cheddar alongside his gentle (Camembert) cheese for his breakfast sandwiches. He was tempted by the blue Stilton and Boursin but his heart was set on the Comte, which, happily, I’d just bought. He’s never met a cheese he didn’t like.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therattle posted:

My son just asked for Comte instead of cheddar alongside his gentle (Camembert) cheese for his breakfast sandwiches. He was tempted by the blue Stilton and Boursin but his heart was set on the Comte, which, happily, I’d just bought. He’s never met a cheese he didn’t like.

This is like the French version of the SA mart kawaii lunchbox post.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

I’m not 100% sure what it means but I’ll take it as a good thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

therattle posted:

I’m not 100% sure what it means but I’ll take it as a good thing.

I think that's the pinku (pink) one

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

That was SA?
That was the SA-mart?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

poo poo actually it looks like it's not from SA. I misremembered!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VelociBacon posted:

poo poo actually it looks like it's not from SA. I misremembered!
It's from an thread in SA Mart:

niu-niu posted:

Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

And it HAS to be by paypal. Please contact me at msn messanger at niu_niu2@hotmail.com or e-mail me there. You can also reply here but i would rather if you would message me, because it's just faster that way and i dont think i would check this topic alot.

remember:
cant be pink or any girly color
has to be small
has to be of 2 or more compartments
cant be made of plastic
cant have drawings of cartoons (it can have cute lil designs though)
should come with matching chopstick holder (with chopsticks)
should be of cute shape like an oval
transaction must be through paypal
cant be more than 20 dollars

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

*PS. I know it might seem like im asking for alot but bento boxes come in ALOT of different shapes and stuff... i saw one JUST like the one im asking here on e-bay for a buy it now price of 15, BUT IT ONLY HAD ONE COMPARTMENT!!! I WANT 2 or MORE!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The incredible part to me is that's a 17 year old post but I feel like it could be written exactly the same today. Even the paypal part.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ah poo poo I should have trusted my hon'nō (instincts).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The hunt for a kawaii (cute) bento box is eternal.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

cant wait to be put on probation by the rattle's cheese-loving child sometime around 2034 :kimchi:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Fresh basil right off the plant is so much better than storebought.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

cant wait to be put on probation by the rattle's cheese-loving child sometime around 2034 :kimchi:

He’s very relaxed, as long as you do exactly what he wants when he wants it.

He does love cheese. We made cheese muffins yesterday, which he chose over chocolate or any other sweet ones.

Now that I get the bento box reference, I must disagree ! That poster had very specific requirements whereas my son will eat pretty much anything cheesy, more or less indiscriminately. That’s not entirely true, as he does have preferences. If we have a cheese board he’ll want to taste everything but might want seconds of only certain cheeses.

He generally enjoys eating, which makes cooking for him extremely gratifying.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 22, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Resting Lich Face posted:

Fresh basil right off the plant is so much better than storebought.

I hear you, and I'mma let you finish, but mint has the best fresh-to-packaged quality ratio of all time!!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

therattle posted:

He’s very relaxed, as long as you do exactly what he wants when he wants it.

:thunk:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

for those of you who are interested in food media and have become more radicalized due to recent acab events, here's an interesting perspective that's fed up with liberal touchy feely food shows and writing: https://aliciakennedy.substack.com/p/on-americanization

quote:

“A better life” is cited repeatedly—a better life as defined by whom? By what? Lakshmi repeatedly refers to ideas like, food “travels and unites us” and flavors “aren’t limited by lines on a map”—no, but human movement is quite violently limited by borders, and a love for tacos hasn’t and won’t make any change for immigration policy with Mexico and Central America. But I should be able to fuckin’ hate burritos (I do not) and still recognize everyone’s humanity, every person’s intrinsic worth and dignity. As the Trump supporter with whom Lakshmi holds hands proves, you can claim to love a people and their food and still vote against their humanity. The idea that we’re still doing this anachronistic dance about getting to know people through their food in a time of open fascism—how?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

for those of you who are interested in food media and have become more radicalized due to recent acab events, here's an interesting perspective that's fed up with liberal touchy feely food shows and writing: https://aliciakennedy.substack.com/p/on-americanization

AK’s voice is important and very good and I can’t help but suggest her newsletter to anyone who interfaces with food media, post-colonial thought, or radical praxis!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I see you got my little joke.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I broadly agree with many of the points they make, but poo poo like this is just facile:

Alicia Kennedy posted:

One other thing I’ve been mulling over after watching Taste the Nation is the title, which implies the U.S. is the nation, which is certainly how the show presents it—as though the rest of the world exists to be consumed by it, assimilated into it. In that sense, it’s a very honest depiction of empire.
In the same sense that Stephen Frears is implying that Queen Elizabeth is going to consume the rest of the world because she is the Queen. Or any other media addressed to a specific audience is implying, by not addressing literally everyone, the assimilation of everyone else.

And this seems a little oblivious as well:

Alicia Kennedy posted:

I wondered, on Twitter (where too often I’m doing my wondering), what the real value is of this American acceptance—white acceptance. It’s not political or cultural power, we know; it’s not new immigration policy or a non-militarized border. It’s simply the broad availability of tacos; it’s jars of salsa in the supermarket. It’s the corporatization of a cuisine and the cultural capital of knowing “authenticity” for those who want to seek it out. What’s the value of this “acceptance” outside of capitalism? I’m still wondering.
What's the value of widespread availability of different kinds of food. Broad availability of tacos and hot sauce: what purpose could this possibly serve?!?!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

I broadly agree with many of the points they make, but poo poo like this is just facile:

In the same sense that Stephen Frears is implying that Queen Elizabeth is going to consume the rest of the world because she is the Queen. Or any other media addressed to a specific audience is implying, by not addressing literally everyone, the assimilation of everyone else.

What's the value of widespread availability of different kinds of food. Broad availability of tacos and hot sauce: what purpose could this possibly serve?!?!

Ughhhhhhh this is some tedious poo poo. (not your post)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

SubG posted:

Thank you for taking a deeper dive and elucidating some of my first impressions. Not to say her questions are irrelevant, I think they are just pointed at the wrong thing.

And nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than seeing San Francisco called “The City.”

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Thank you for taking a deeper dive and elucidating some of my first impressions. Not to say her questions are irrelevant, I think they are just pointed at the wrong thing.
I don't think I'd go quite that far. gently caress people who want to join hand with fascists and skip merrily along in the name of unity or whatever. gently caress imperialism. gently caress capitalism. But meaningful criticism of e.g. capitalism can't be predicated on pretending that the capitalist mode of production has literally nothing to offer outside of being capitalist in and of itself. The fact that it does offer actual tangible things of value--e.g. providing people with commodities they want--is in fact the problem. You can argue that e.g. easy availability of tacos and hot sauce isn't worth what people, collectively, have paid for these things (which is true), or that there are other ways in which those things could be achieved (which is also true). But just scratching your head over the value proposition as if it's some kind of puzzle doesn't strike me as a meaningful approach to the problem.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Good morning would someone kindly hit me with the discord link I don’t want to lose this collection of well Eatin weirdos

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

Good morning would someone kindly hit me with the discord link I don’t want to lose this collection of well Eatin weirdos

I hate discord but would be willing to join it for GWS.

Alternately I've got a few other Slacks and would be happy to spin up a new one.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

Same, I love this food place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I would like a GWS discord link as well. GWS, DIY, the Boston thread and just a few other places are all I come to this site for and what I would really miss.